• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are some little Tips that can make all the difference??

Compromise and a schedule with some wiggle room in it.

I thank anyone in the group that asks for something that is important for them to have a good time at the parks. "Thanks for letting us know that. Let's see how we can best make that happen." And I whip out a map or a schedule and we adjust the plans. It is not worth it to do the parks with someone who is not enjoying themselves. I don't mean not liking it as much as you are, but someone who is exhausted, hungry or ill, who wants very strongly to be elsewhere, or is actively unhappy.

I planned a lot of extra time to get from one place to another, knowing that we'd pause on the way. I'm the commando of the group, but I'm also the photographer. So, when I'd stop to take photos, the rest of the group would relax and get a brief rest. I was also the one who wanted to wait in line for character meet and greets. This created another rest time for the others in the group. Sitting down for a snack helped a lot. A 15 minute pause to consume an ice cream or a cold drink makes you feel much more relaxed. Standing up to eat does not feel the same, even if you aren't moving.

Hang one of your cheap glowsticks on your stroller and activate it at night.. if you have to leave your stroller outside, it is a easy way to find it, even if the stroller gets moved!

what a great idea!!!!!:thumbsup2

I am also a big fan of the Body Glide. It really works great.

The tips that work best our family are:

1. SLOW DOWN and enjoy some of the free things that disney has to offer. For example, the Chip and Dale Sing-a-long and outdoor movie at Fort Wilderness. My son also loves to look for Hidden Mickeys. Sometimes we will actually just take a few hours to help him search. We will arrive at ADRs at different resorts early so he can find the Hidden Mickeys. It is fun for our whole family.

2. One of our favorite attractions is Mickey's Philharmagic. While you are waiting to go through the doors to be seated, many people will start pushing their way to the front. You will get better seats to these types of attractions (It's tough to be a Bug is another) if you hang back a bit. The ones pushing to get in first will have to move all the way down the aisle. We always get better seats when we relax and let the pushers and shovers go first.

3. We are big fans of the afternoon break. We started taking the break because our kids needed the afternoon nap. We continued taking the break even after our kids no longer needed the nap. The break really allows us to rest and go back later in the day refreshed with more energy. Since we also go for 12 days, I also schedule several more relaxed days.

4. Finally, we make sure that everyone in our family understands that it is a FAMILY vacation. Everyone gets a chance to do what they enjoy. That means, I will wait patiently while my family rides TOT and my DS10 will not complain about riding Dumbo for the third time for my DD4.

5. This tip is really just for me, but there the French Toast Loaf at Main Street Bakery is a must for me. YUMMMMMY!! For us, we have stopped packing to many snacks. We just don't eat them. With the heat of the summer and a sit-down every day, we just weren't hungry enough for the extra snacks.

Thanks for everyone who contributed. We have been many times, but you can always learn new things reading these boards.

great thread - great tips.

to add to the many tips I would suggest to look around. Cues have loads of details, as do so many areas. Read the signs, look at the ceiling, the walls, the floors. Muppets 3D has a sign at the ticket window when you walk into the building. Do what it instructs you to do for a simple treat. There are so many small details that add to the enjoyment. Disney has so many layers that makes it possible to continue to discover new things each trip.

I agree with "get there early"! We can get a lot done before the crowds get unmanagable that way! :rotfl2: We can have a nice lunch at the park, then go back to the resort and rest/swim! :lmao: Then head out for a nice dinner and a few more hours of park time!:cool1:

When your shopping for souvenirs think of something you might enjoy all year instead of things that end up in a box. I always suggest a park CD. Its fun to turn in on when your home and be transported back to your vacation and all the memories you made. Other fun things to do is people watch, take the train all the way around in 1 trip, the shooting gallery, rocking chairs in different places for a rest, lots of small fun things to do in the parks. Have fun.

If your planning on meeting chracters and getting good photographs, do it in the morning when you're still fresh and looking good. We were in the Animal Kingdom and had been on the River Rapids in the morning. Unfortunately I have curly hair and when it dried under a hat the results were not good. When having a picture taken with Minnie and Goofy, the CM's told us to take our hats off. I hate those pictures now beacuse I look awful after walking around all day in the sun and having really bad hair.

This year, I'm getting the pictures taken first thing before the heat and water rides can have any effect.

My #1 tip is get up early. I can't say it enough. GET UP EARLY.

Yes, I realize this is not what makes a vacation for many people, but it amazes me the crowds that start coming in between 10 and noon.

Personally, I'd rather get up early than wait in lines later.

We can get an incredible number of top line attractions done early..especially during morning EMH.

Afternoons can always be used for naps, if necessary. And it gets me rested for night EMH!

I would amend that suggestion to read "if getting up early suits you, then get up early to take advantage of the early hours and smaller crowds, otherwise sleep in or relax or do what ever you like. After all, it is your vacation"

We have done the early thing and the late morning thing. the early morning is nice, but we found coming back to the room to not work well for us, we ended up taking too long to fall asleep for a nap and not feeling very refreshed waking up in an hr. or two. that is, when we were able to fall asleep. we have done the late morning and liked being able to sleep in and not feel rushed in the morning. however that late morning-early afternoon heat and sun is a killer. So this year we are having our ADR's at 1 pm lunches at various resorts, allowing us to sleep in, relax, actually enjoy the resort, AVOID the late morning-early afternoon heat and sun, AVOID the 12-14 hour marathon days that burn us out. We will have a nice lunch at different resorts every day, then we will have the freedom of choice to hit any park we like because we won't be tied to ADR's in the park. We figure that we will enter the parks between 3&4 every day and stay till close. 6-8 hrs. pounding the pavement in the parks is still a long and tiring day. how many of us are on our feet that long every day outside of vaca?

then again, the beauty of WDW is there is no right or wrong way, it's whatever way you like

Yes I agree, rope drop works for some, for others it doesn't. Especially our friends from the West Coast.

I used to be a rope drop commando, but as an AP holder I've put less importance on doing everything in one trip.

Early mornings usually help you beat some of the heat, but honestly there are days where its hot practically at sun up. On days like that, I find it more enjoyable to tour the parks after the sun has gone down.

In addition to this we enjoy staying at the resort by the pool and relaxing all day, sleeping in, enjoying the playground, having a relaxed lunch, etc. Then we'll hit the park at 3 or so and stay till closing.

Once on our last trip we swam and napped till 7PM! We got to the MK at about 9PM. We stayed for a 2 AM EMH and had the park to ourselves from 11:30 till close.:thumbsup2

These are all great tips, many I have used before. I would like to add three more.

1.) One more money saving tip is to take medication with you. Obviously you'll take prescription or every day meds with you, but take a small supply of things with you such as pepto or rolaids, benedryl, immodium, you get the point... you may not use these on a daily basis, but they will be much cheaper to take than to get there. I pack a small zipper bag and take them to the park with me. It can save a trip back to the hotel.

2.) Take bug repellent. I personally have a sensitivity to mosquito bites, but even if you don't, the bugs in central Florida can be bad, especially in the evening. The combination of heat and water everywhere make a great breeding ground for them. The travel size cans or Off wipes are very convenient.

3.) Change your shoes during the day. When we leave in the morning, I wear my flip flops. After we take our afternoon break, I go back in the evening wearing my crocs. My feet appreciate the change.

Two words...Rope Drop.

Can't imagine how you get anything done otherwise. I hate crowds.

Absolutely! You have to allow the kid in you to take over at Disney. I'm not a ride person but I went on tons of rides at Disney and my favourite was Spalsh-something I definitely would not have normally tried! And don't sweat the small stuff. WDW can get crowded, hot, and mob mentality can take over, there will be people complaining around you, yelling at their kids etc...try your best to block it out. You've paid a lot for this vacation, enjoy it!

Excellent advice!

When you go to counter service with wee ones, order a double burger with an extra bun (.80) and save yourself a LOT of money! Go check out mousesvers.com! Have a great trip!

This tip shows up here time and time again, and always puzzles me. Why not just cut the double burger in half and forget the extra bun?
:confused3

This tip shows up here time and time again, and always puzzles me. Why not just cut the double burger in half and forget the extra bun?

Well, now we do cut the burger in half. But when my kids were a bit younger they would whine about wanting "their own" burger. And it was really frustrating cause my kids love burgers, and they are on very few of the kid's CS Menus at WDW.

Have you seen the size of those double burgers? I can barely get my mouth on them! lol A little guy/girl would definitely struggle. half the time my kids just ate them "open face" (cut in half and then open them up with bread only on the bottom...messier but who cares!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter