• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What anti-viral (not bacterial) hand sanitizers do you take with you?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
I had read about some anti-viral sanitzers that actually kill noro-virus and other viruses, that can ruin a vacation, in addition to bacteria. But now that I am getting closer to our trip, I want to buy some for our trip and I forgot the names of the anti-viral sanitzers. I read that many families swear by them when taking trips and going to the parks.

I did a little research right now and found this article with various anti-virals.http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses I think this is what I had read last year. Anyone, every use any of these? We are seriously thinking of buying one for our upcoming trip. My DH got a really bad cold on the last trip to WDW and it stole some of his fun unfortunately. A cold is a virus not a bacteria so all the anti-bacterial in the world would not have prevented it. Yes we wash our hands as much as possible. But we dont always have a sink around and a noro-virus or worse would completely ruin a trip not to mention that I want to keep my family healthy.

I'm deathly allergic to hand sanitizer so I carry around travel packs of baby/hand wipes. They work great at cleaning hands and get off goo/sticky stuff that sanitizer wouldn't.
we carry baby wipes too but they dont kill viruses or bacteria. They just wipe.

Interesting laboratory results of hand sanitizer test against norovirus:
"Both <popular ethanol-based hand sanitizer> and <new quaternary ammonium-containing bactericidal hand cream> were even more effective against the two noroviruses that cause gastrointestinal diseases, than they were against gram-positive bacteria."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23409622

If I'm reading that correctly, a product like Purell Advanced was better at killing norovirus than it was at killing bacteria. For what it's worth.

Last edited:
Good old soap and water is enough for us.

Yes, my husband's parents are in the medical field and both say warm water and soap is just fine. I do only that and the last time I had a cold or the flu or any kind of infection was before my son was born. He's 33 years old and has two kids of his own and does the same with them. The last time they had a cold or flu? For the kids, never. For my son - err, never.

I don't think that I have ever heard of something that would kill virus germs. They are kind of the thing that you either get or you don't and mostly they are airborne. It's your own immune system that fights that off mostly and the more anti-anything you use only weakens your immune system. A bit of a human dilemma.

There are some products which hospitals use to disinfect tables, beds, etc. But I have never heard of anything available to the public. We had to wear masks and gloves to use those. I think it would fall into the category of causing more harm than good.

https://www.medline.com/product/Benzalkonium-Chloride-Towelettes/Benzalkonium-Towelettes/Z05-PF06389

The Centers for Disease Control says the most important way to prevent the transmission of dangerous diseases is to frequently wash your hands with soap and water and/or use a hand sanitizer. If soap and water are not available it is recommended to use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol or contains a "persistent antiseptic". Alcohol rubs kill many different kinds of bacteria, including antibiotic resistant bacteria and TB bacteria. 90% alcohol rubs also have high virucidal activity against many different kinds of viruses (but are highly flammable), including enveloped viruses such as the flu virus, the common cold virus, and HIV, though is notably ineffective against the rabies virus Alcohol rub sanitizers are not very effective against Norovirus (winter vomiting virus) unless they are combined with benzalkonium chloride in a hand sanitizer. Alcohol rubs also kill fungi. University of Virginia Medical School researchers concluded that hand sanitizing is more effective against fighting the common cold than hand washing.

Products containing chlorine bleach should be used for surfaces and or a bleach/water solution is used for hand washing in extreme cases such as the Ebola Virus. Avoid products with Triclosan, it is an antibiotic and contributes to the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Many viruses are airborne and at times there is little you can do beyond wearing a mask to prevent exposure.

We always carry a mixture of palm-oiled peanut paste and liquid corn gluten, mixed into a high percentage of ethyl alcohol.

we carry baby wipes too but they dont kill viruses or bacteria. They just wipe.

I stick mostly with the hand wipes now but there is nothing wrong with just wiping off the icky stuff. Its actually better for the immune system to not use a lot of anti-bacterial products. However, they make anti-bacterial baby wipes now. Between hand washing, wipes, and my allergy mask, I've never gotten a cold or any other sicky virus at Disney. *knock on wood*

Good old soap and water is enough for us.
Soap and water is good but when you are at a theme park sitting in a ride, putting your hands on the same handle bars hundreds of others have put their dirty hands on then you can easily catch something. Most people are not going to go to wash their hands after every ride etc.... In a place like a theme park and in the airplanes and airports, I firmly believe having some anti-viral hand sanitzers that are now available to the public is a smart thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter