What about Disney is educational?

Susiec

Mouseketeer
My DD school will allow her to miss days of school and still count her as being there as long as it is deemed educational. It is called an educational enhancement opportunity. So tell me what makes Disney an educational trip?

EPCOT and AK are nothing but educational.. you have science, social studies, biology, and geography all tied up in a pretty little package disguised as theme parks.

There's plenty of educational opportunities at WDW:
Animal Kingdom: all about animal, how to care for them, where they come from, how they act in the wild....Conservation, reusing and recycling. Cultural aspects with people from Africa and Asia to talk to you and teach you about their countries, language, costums,etc.
Epcot: In Nemo and Friends they teach about marine life and how to protect it.,...World Showcase obviously about all different countries, cultures, etc.
Inside Innoventions they teach about physics (Sum of all Thrills)...The Land pavilion teaches you about Hydroponics and how to farm the land more wisely...Universe of Energyy (all about energy)
Those are the ones I can think of.

If you can coordinate your timing with a YES class (just google it), she would actually have the opportunity to do a class while there which the school should easily see as educational.

EPCOT and AK are nothing but educational.. you have science, social studies, biology, and geography all tied up in a pretty little package disguised as theme parks.

With every visit, I stand in awe of the educational value of Captain EO and TriceraTop Spin.

LOL. It's "educational" to watch your parents try to BS your teacher and principal into selling a family vacation as an "educational enhancement opportunity".

Exactly! Plus, for those of us who live in tiny remote communities, it's a great opportunity for our kids to experience other cultures, nationalities, etc. Disney is filled with people from all walks of life (guests & CM's) which can be quite educational, IMO. I can assure you my child likely won't meet someone from Africa or Morocco in our town of 300 people in the middle of Wisconsin! Yet at Disney she does...

It is literally impossible for me to tell if these responses are sarcastic.

LOL. It's "educational" to watch your parents try to BS your teacher and principal into selling a family vacation as an "educational enhancement opportunity".

Why is it BS? Our school system allows this so a child can learn. We were able to do it for a cruise last year.

And don't forget Spaceship Earth! It gives a concise and educational history of human communication, from the invention of the alphabet to the printing press and beyond.

I am in my 31st year of teaching, and so have seen my fair share of Disney trips. I ask one thing of my parents when they take trips-PLEASE let me know two weeks ahead of time about your trip. That way I can sit down and work with your child on work BEFORE they go on a trip. That way the kids...#1 do NOT have to take work with them on a vacation (who the heck wants that) and #2 they are all caught up upon their return. My point-don't just fill in the form, remember to also talk to the teacher(s).

As to the question, what makes Disney educational, at our school, at least, no one really cares.

Hope this helps.

Why is it BS? Our school system allows this so a child can learn. We were able to do it for a cruise last year.

Can you give us an idea of what the school requires to validate it as educational? Does she have to do a report? Does it need to include all/most subjects or just one subject? Do you have to justify every day or just the number of days she's missing?

This might help us help you and her to find the best educational value of your trip without making the whole trip about education.

With every visit, I stand in awe of the educational value of Captain EO and TriceraTop Spin.

I know you are being facetious, but hey if ya wanna go there
Captain EO = music theory
TriceraTop Spin = inertia

always something to learn even in the smallest mundane things.

My schools did not deem Disney as educational, so it would be a moot point in trying to make them think so. The teachers were fine with my elementary school age kids going, even if the admins didn't think so.

I also sent my DD on a trip to NYC when in HS, thinking that visiting a new place with lots of new experiences, some educational would merit the trip being 'educational'. Nope. Unexcused absences.

It's most likely that your days off will be considered unexcused. But, you do get a number of those a year to take.

Any opportunity can be educational, and when combined with the excitement of a Disney vacation, the opportunities are endless. More importantly than textbook smarts are the emotional and life experience developments that come from a family vacation. Have fun! :)

Can you give us an idea of what the school requires to validate it as educational? Does she have to do a report? Does it need to include all/most subjects or just one subject? Do you have to justify every day or just the number of days she's missing?

This might help us help you and her to find the best educational value of your trip without making the whole trip about education.

Ithas to meet the following: having an educational purpose, having significant educational value, how the activity is related to one of the core subjects such as English, science, math, social studies, foreign language or the arts or college visits.

This is what is on the paper we have to fill out for the leave.

I am in my 31st year of teaching, and so have seen my fair share of Disney trips. I ask one thing of my parents when they take trips-PLEASE let me know two weeks ahead of time about your trip. That way I can sit down and work with your child on work BEFORE they go on a trip. That way the kids...#1 do NOT have to take work with them on a vacation (who the heck wants that) and #2 they are all caught up upon their return. My point-don't just fill in the form, remember to also talk to the teacher(s).

As to the question, what makes Disney educational, at our school, at least, no one really cares.

Hope this helps.
Today is the first day of school here so I am letting the teacher know tomorrow and the trip is not not ill October. I am giving them way more than 2 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter