We've become *that* family

Haha we've had similar conversations. Some family/friends just don't get it...4 trips in 6 years. Just returned from another fantastic trip 2 weeks ago and really want to plan the next but we're trying to hold off until 2018. Not sure we'll make it.

I'm signing my family up for this club. It all started harmlessly enough last year when we discussed a long trip with a good chunk of money we'd been saving for vacation. Then, my parents decided to take my family and my brother's for a short trip & a short DCL cruise in Oct/Nov of last year. By the end of that trip we had evaluated or budget and determined that we could do one long and another shorter trip this year. That lead to the realization that AP's made sense from a ticket standpoint. Of course, that lead us to adding a trip between Christmas & New Years last year in addition to the two originally planned trips for this year. We also have a third trip planned for later in the year to use the AP one last time before they expire.

So to this point, we have taken the trip at Halloween last year, Christmas last year, and our 11 day trip that we just got back from, and have two more trips planned for this year. In addition to this, after pre-trip research and evaluation, we just pulled the trigger on a 150 point DVC contract (yes we did the research, and it did make sense for us. It wasn't an impulse buy.). With that purchase, we are now starting to plan for more trips over the next several years. I don't think that anything will change with us and visiting Disney frequently for a while.

I kinda felt bad. The kids were really hoping that their grandparents were going to go back with us on our next trip. But when I asked MIL about it she just said, "No, I mean we've already seen them there once. Not like it'll be as special." Um... okay.

I'm signing my family up for this club. It all started harmlessly enough last year when we discussed a long trip with a good chunk of money we'd been saving for vacation. Then, my parents decided to take my family and my brother's for a short trip & a short DCL cruise in Oct/Nov of last year. By the end of that trip we had evaluated or budget and determined that we could do one long and another shorter trip this year. That lead to the realization that AP's made sense from a ticket standpoint. Of course, that lead us to adding a trip between Christmas & New Years last year in addition to the two originally planned trips for this year. We also have a third trip planned for later in the year to use the AP one last time before they expire.

So to this point, we have taken the trip at Halloween last year, Christmas last year, and our 11 day trip that we just got back from, and have two more trips planned for this year. In addition to this, after pre-trip research and evaluation, we just pulled the trigger on a 150 point DVC contract (yes we did the research, and it did make sense for us. It wasn't an impulse buy.). With that purchase, we are now starting to plan for more trips over the next several years. I don't think that anything will change with us and visiting Disney frequently for a while.
We also have DVC and APs. We realized the value of our AP with the first trip and have not looked back. We now only ask family to get our mail. They know where we are going!

I kinda felt bad. The kids were really hoping that their grandparents were going to go back with us on our next trip. But when I asked MIL about it she just said, "No, I mean we've already seen them there once. Not like it'll be as special." Um... okay.

I totally get this. DW really wants her parents to join us in September. We're staying in the Family suites @ AoA, and there are only 4 of so they wouldn't even have to pay for the room. They are being super noncommittal about it, I doubt that they will come. It's a little frustrating. We don't get to see them very often so don't get why they wouldn't want to see their grandchildren enjoying themselves at Disney.

Where you vacation is your business... What might be fun to other relatives or friends for vacation may not be fun for you. I don't understand when telling someone you are going to Disney...why can't they just say oh thats nice, have a good time etc..When people tell me where they are going I am happy for them regardless of whether or not the destination would interest my family! Nothing tops Disney for us we love it- but that's the beauty of vacation to go where YOU want to go! Unless they are funding it- say something nice or nothing at all!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm like that too! Though, we don't have kids so it's all us! lol
Granted, I don't get the 'again?!' remarks because I just travel around the world in general ... but I love me some Disney!!

We are doing a Disney cruise/WDW this fall ... haven't even been able to book excursions yet and we are thinking of what Disney vacation we are doing next year! lol

One of the perks of being a DVC owner... people stop asking. In fact, I seem to be the go to person for Disney trip planning.
That does help.

When they say, "going again?" And your response is, "We own there." It cuts down on the looks. Lots of my friends have timeshares of some sort.

Of course we still get those looks since our son is 20. So no little kids in our family.

We have done a lot of International and National travel and no matter where we go we end up wishing were in Orlando. To me, the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon is just as great as a beach in Hawaii. Maybe when the kids have moved out I will want to expand my horizons again but we took them to Europe last year and they thought it was stressful. My daughter actually asked us not to "Do That Again" until after she moves out.

We have been to Disney the last two summers, going this summer and planning a trip to Disney with friends next summer. We get the same questions but the people that ask go the beach every year and I couldnt care less what they decide to spend their money on.

I've learned in our 17 years of vacations at WDW, that there are always ways to come back to those type of statements. People know better than to come at me with that now, lol. It started with one trip per year and quickly escalated to us being annual pass holders. My girls have been almost 30 times since then. We have even taken trips a month apart (June and July), from Virginia.

But I must say, we have also vacationed at many other places and have made a conscious decision to show our girls some of the best America has to offer. From Alaska to LA (and DLR) to Chicago and Key West and a bunch of stuff in between.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll achieve that for several years. DH has made me promise that our next big trip after our Disney trip next year, is a trip across Canada. Which I agreed to - and then promptly informed him that we'll be returning to Disney in 2019 or 2020 for the opening of Star Wars Land :dogdance: I'm also hoping to make that trip a Christmas trip... hehe. I won't rest until I've experience Disney at Christmas.

We are trekking across New Mexico and to the Grand Canyon in 2018. I am very excited about it. After next December we probably won't be back to Disney until 2020. I hope the new lands are open!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter