We're TOO EXCITED to sleep! 1st PTR, 3rd Aug Trip. Free Dining here we come!

LMDisneygirl

I'd rather be at Disney!
Phew, the first step in writing my PTR is done! Who would have thought it would be so tricky just to pick a title? :rotfl2: I LOVED that Disney commercial! That adorable little boy, and then the reality that us parents are excited too! Maybe even more than the kids if I must be honest. :lmao: This PTR is about a 2-part trip, starting with a business conference and ending with a family vacation. I'll probably focus more on the family vacation part, but it is worth mentioning the conference.

About a year ago I got a call from a friend telling me that our yearly Tupperware conference for 2010 was going to be AT WDW! I have been a consultant for 6 years and have never gone to our "Jubilee", but once I heard it was going to be at the Coronado Springs I was sold! What a great excuse for a family trip back to WDW - our favorite place ever! It has been 3 1/2 years since DH, DS 8, and DS 10 and I have been to the Happiest Place On Earth, though DH & I have never stopped talking about it since our last trip which sometimes annoys our boys. So my Disney-obsessed DH and his similarly obsessed wife started plotting and planning, and here's what we came up with........

Our trip begins Aug. 12th when we fly down to Disney (using the super great airfares I found! :cheer2: ) We'll be staying at the Coronado Springs Resort for the conference. Our park passes won't start until the 15th, so DH and the boys plan to chill, swim, go to the arcade, explore, hit the Lego store, etc. while I'm at my conference. We have never stayed at CSR before, and we are looking forward to it!

On Aug 15th we will be transferring over to the Pop for our week long family vacation!!!!! We stayed at Pop last time and thought it was great! We were very strategic in starting this portion of our trip on the 15th. The VALUE season starts that day, so our rooms will be nice and discounted. Also, FREE DINING starts that day! Double Bonus!! We've never been on the DP before (free or paid), so we are looking forward to that. It is the QSDP, but it's free so we'll take it! Plus, it might be nice not to have to plan around so many reservations. We have PH tickets, and WPF&M. So there is LOTS of fun to be had!

I hope you will join me on my planning journey! Be patient with me as I get into the flow of how to do a PTR. I'm just so excited to share! Just a new level of the obsession I guess. Or as I call it, my HOBBY.

As I mentioned in my first post, I got great airfares for us. Well, assuming that we can fit all our things into a couple of large suitcases so the baggage charges don't get too out of control. After all, we'll be needing that money for Mickey Rice Krispie Treats, Mickey Ice Cream Bars, and souvenirs! The plan is to pack 2 big suitcases, and then take full advantage of our carry-on allowance since they are free. Our plane leaves at 8:35am, which means that we'll have to wake up pretty early. I don't really like to acknowledge that there is more than one six o'clock per day, and the one I know has a PM after it! But I'm sure I'll be good with bouncing out of bed when the alarm rings on THAT day!

I'm thinking that since we'll be leaving at o'dark-thirty that I should put some kind of breakfasty treat into the little goodie packs I'm making for the boys. Don't get me wrong, these will not be large costly packs (emphasized for when DH reads my posts :) ). Just a little extra fun & excitement for them. Oh, and let's face it, for me too as I think about what to put in them!
After all, DH and I are trying to get them anywhere close to our level of excited! We're trying to remember that though the boys have been to WDW twice, they were 3 & 5 the first time, and 5 & 7 the second. We are not delusional. We know the first two trips there were mostly for US, and we brought them along and hoped they'd have fun and get their DIS genes going (after all, they must have them, they are OUR kids!). We're excited for them to go this time - a little bigger, a little braver. But we'll get into all that in another post. Back to travel!

So I'm thinking of making these little (teeny tiny honey, I promise) plane packs for them. Maybe some mini donuts, some Disney or Toy Story 3 fruit snacks (true confessions, I already bought a box), and some Disney Silly Bandz. Perhaps one Disney and one TS3 for them to share. My DS8 has suggested that I bring suckers - regular and tootsie pops - since I had mentioned something once about sucking on them helping when the plan takes off. Maybe I'll find some Disney tattoos to put in there too. They'd love that!

CUT TO ARRIVING IN FL.......We anticipate walking off the plane, feeling that woooosh of HOT HOT HOT SUPER HUMID ALMOST STIFLING FLORIDA IN AUGUST AIR, and heading for the Magical Express. We've never been on it, so don't know what to expect other than an excited bus ride to our "Welcome Home" greeting! And we can't wait!!! :dance3: /COLOR]

I think I'll turn off my signature for these posts. After all, how many times will you need to see my trip history? If you missed it, check back to the signature on post 1 for all the exciting details!!

Wow I am so excited for you! I love this stuff as well, hence the name overexcited!:rotfl2:
We are going in September, also in POP and also FREE dining, we upgraded to TS.
I was just having lunch with my DH and was saying I look forward to doing ME this year! We went in 2007 and used it, it was great no hassles. Since it was our first time, I worried about how it would work....would our luggage make it....
This time I know I can sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.:cool1:
I am looking forward to seeing more of your report.:goodvibes
I just started my PTR recently, trying to get the hang of it all!

(Hi KatMark, welcome to my adventure. I have relatives who live in Carol Stream, and I was there a couple years ago!)

One of the fun things about going back to WDW with kids is that every time you go they are at a different age and stage. It's a whole new trip for them, and that makes it a different trip for us parents too. I am anticipating how this trip will be different from our last one. I'll be so interested to see if I'm right!

DS10 turned 7 right before we went on our last trip, and this time he'll have rounded the turn toward 11. So that's a big difference. He loved WDW last time, but wasn't quite ready to be very adventurous with the rides. He rode and said he enjoyed Thunder Mountain Railroad & Star Tours, but didn't want to go back on either (though he has fond memories of them). This time he's thinking he's ready to go for the big guns - Rockin Rollercoaster and all! He'll put his hands up with the thumb and pinky on each hand out and other fingers folded down (what would you call that?) and say things like, "Rockin Rollercoaster!!!! Yeah!! I'm there!!". He's never ridden any "big" rides anywhere else. We'll see what happens when we get there, but I sure hope he continues his adventurousness when we are at the world. He'll love it if he does!

DS8 had just turned 5 last time we went, and will be quickly heading for 9 this time. So big change for him too. The first time we went he was 3. He did not like the characters at all, but he called them "customers". I have such fond memories of his little voice saying, "Mommy, I don't like the customers". Of course I was a little bummed, but we never made him go near any. So when we went back when he was 5 his brother got the autograph book and was getting pictures taken and autographs with every character. We told DS8 (then 5) that we wanted him to be in just ONE family picture with Mickey. He was not even a little bit amused, but DH told him he'd hold him and stay on the end, far away from Mickey. Well, that went alright, so we decided to go for a picture with Minnie. And that went okay, so we proceeded along. At each character DS got a little braver and got a little closer to the "customers". By the end of our time at the Character Connection at Epcot he was ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS, AND he had me go get him his own autograph book, AND THEN we went back to every character so he could get their autographs. CRAZY! But it turned into a really sweet time. I love all my pics of him getting his book signed! He was VERY timid of rides last time. So this time I don't know what to expect with him. He doesn't like Pirates because of the BIG hill! He has agreed to ride Thunder Mountain, so we'll work our way up to that one, and use it as a gauge for the rides that are more intense than that.

Also, the last two times we went we used an in-room babysitting service one night just over half way through our trip. The boys really wanted a night to stay at the hotel, watch tv, play at the arcade, eat at the food court, play with their new souvenirs, and just relax. That is just CRAZY TALK to me and DH. I mean, why would we stay in the room when there are fireworks to watch or possibly another ride on Soarin? So we got a babysitter, the boys loved it, we had a date night, and our wallets were just a little bit lighter! Not sure what we'll do this time. We'll see what they want. Maybe they'll want to stay with us. If they need a break, we may look into the kid's clubs. Or perhaps the in-room sitter again. I guess you won't know that until the post trip report!!

That's all for now!

Oh man! Just found out that Toy Story Mania is going to be closed for rehab during our trip. :sad2: It will actually be open on the first day of our park tickets, but we'll be switching hotels that morning. So that means we'd need to go over to our new hotel, do our check in and get our park tickets, then get to the Studios and get to TSM. I'm assuming there is no way to get our KTTW cards in advance. I'm guessing it will be even more of a zoo there on the last day it is open before rehab (Aug 15th).

It will be disappointing if we can't ride it, but we had a GREAT time on our last trip and it wasn't built yet, so I'm sure we'll have a great time this time too if we don't get to ride.

Don't get me wrong, I've been planning and organizing this trip for months. But a little while back I was feeling frustrated because no matter how many times I looked at the obsessive-planner spreadsheet of park hours, days, parades, and fireworks that I made, I just couldn't get a plan going for what park we wanted to go to when. It's all starting to come together now though!

So here's what we're thinking now.....
Thurs - Sat - Staying at Coronado for a conference, no park tix.
DECISION TO MAKE - Stay at the Coronado Saturday night after the conference is over, then get to the Pop BRIGHT and EARLY Sunday to check-in, get park tix, and get to DHS for the final day of TSM before rehab. OR Move to Pop on Saturday (my conference is out at 1pm Sat). Then just walk to Pop front desk to check-out and check-in and get our park tix. We have to start our major stay, park tix, and dining plan at Pop on Sunday due to Value prices & Free dining! :cool1: Pop would be $15 less than CSR that night, so not much of a difference in cost. :confused3

Oh dear, this post was supposed to be about how the plans are coming together, not about what decision to make! And so I will continue on......

Sun AM - DHS to ride TSM (we hope!). Stay as long as we feel like, depending on crowds.
Sun afternoon - Go to Pop to get into our room (and hopefully find our luggage transferred over from CSR!). Rest from being up early. Maybe pool and a nap or something.
Sun Evening - Magic Kingdom for whatever we can get on, Spectromagic, and Wishes. It's just not a Disney trip for us if we don't go to the MK on the first night! There are 10 pm - 1am EMH at MK that night, so we can stay however long the kids can make it.

Monday - (Not sure how late we'll be out Sunday night, so ......) wake up whenever we want. Head over to Epcot. Depending on when we get there, we may just stay straight through to Illuminations, or take a break if we want. HOPING to get a FP for Soarin', but understanding it may not happen....depending. It may be a day where we do the World Showcase, along with Spaceship earth, Captain EO, and others we can get on.

Tuesday - Get to MK for AM EMH. (We've never been to ANY rope drop. We hope to make it to at least a couple this time.) Ride lots of fun things! Leave the park at 10:30am and head to Poly for bfast at Kona Cafe (per hubby's request). Then decide whether to go back, or maybe head to Typhoon Lagoon.
Tuesday evening - ???

That's as far as I've gotten, but it's a start. :yay:

I was SO excited to go to the mailbox yesterday and find an envelope from Disney in it! Our Magical Express packet has arrived!!! :cheer2: We've never taken the ME before, so we are super excited about it. In fact, for our last 3 trips to WDW we've rented a car and haven't even used the Disney transportation much at all, so this will be very different for our boys, and very fun!

It was very exciting for me to buy eggs the other night and see that the expiration date for the eggs is the day AFTER we leave for WDW!!!

.......something changes! But in this case it could be good!!

I've found out from reading the Dis that it is likely that we can pick up our park tix up to 3 days early. Now for most people this wouldn't even factor into their trip, but with our split stay and the conference it is a situation that applies to us. So here is the new plan (if it works like the boards say it will).

Thursday - arrive and check in for the conference. DH and boys chill & explore at CSR.
Friday - DH & Boys get park passes & go to Disney Quest and/or Water Park in addition to chilling at CSR but NOT to a major park without me :)
Sat - My conference ends at 1pm, we transfer over to Pop for our stay there, and then go to MK that evening for the last night of the Main Street Electrical Parade! I would love for my boys to be able to see it, and I would like to see it again too! I love Spectromagic, but it would be fun to see this one too.
Sunday - start our week of family WDW vacation by trying to get on Toy Story MWM at DHS.

We just want to make sure that the early ticket pick-up wouldn't affect our FD. That is very important!

In other good news, 3 people dated parties at my Tupperware party last night! Why is this good news? Because half of the money for our trip is coming from my money I make at parties. So, 3 new parties means about $300 more toward our trip!!!! I'm going to have a busy month doing lots of parties. I like to do them, but it is going to be even more worth it when I am looking at that castle.

Hi LMDisneygirl or Honey as I like to call you.

I didn't even remember that after having read the first post on this thread I was going to comment but It was late (after 1am) and I fell asleep with the laptop on.

As a fellow Disney Fanatic(and your DH) I love what you have put out here! I just want to say how much I appreciate all the digging you have done on the this board and on the phone to get the information that is setting up the framework of our trip.:thumbsup2

I think at this point I am leaning towards taking the boys to Typhoon Lagoon on that Friday but I am really looking forward to seeing the Main Street Electric Parade with you on Saturday!:love:

Keep up the good work!

I think your plans sound great! I am sorry that we will miss the Electrical Parade...it's been so long since we have seen it.

Sounds like your trip is coming together. Can't wait to read the rest of your plans.

DH & I have been to WDW together 4 times. First for our honeymoon in August 1996, then in March 2005 with our DSs ages 3 & 5, then in August 2006 just he & I for our 10 year anniversary, and then in January 2007 with the boys (ages 5 & 7). We have had a lot of fun and done so many things on those trips, but of course there are are things we haven't gotten to yet.

SO......I thought I'd make a list of things we HAVEN'T done but would like to try to get to on this trip. Though I will say that I wouldn't give up an extra trip on BTMR or Soarin' for any of these. But hopefully we can fit them in.

Magic Kingdom
Monster's Laugh Factory (opened just after we were there last time)
Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree (not so much excited, as just wanting to check them off the list, and thinking the kids might like them)
Jungle Cruise
Astro Orbiter

EPCOT
Captain EO
Is there something else in that Pavilion?
Turtle Talk with Crush
Ellen's Energy Adventure (I've been on it, but not DH or the boys)
Mission Space - DH wants to take DS10, we are in negotiations since I don't think they should go on the "full" version. I've never been, and I never will be.
Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure
UPDATED Spaceship Earth - though we were on it many times before the update

Disney Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Midway Mania (if we can get on it on our first day before it closes for rehab)
Lights, Motor, Action stunt show
Indiana Jones stunt show
American Idol Experience

Rides the boys haven't been on - not sure which they'll ride, though DS10 thinks he'll be adventurous
Tower of Terror (I keep calling it "Tigger's Bouncy House of Fun", but DS8 isn't buying it :lmao:)
Rockin Rollercoaster
Star Tours (DS8)

Animal Kingdom

Festival of the Lion King show
Finding Nemo show
Khali River Rapids
Camp Minnie Mickey (meeting the characters in their AK get-ups)
Primeval Whirl? - only DH has been on it

Later I'll tell you about my favorites that I can't wait to do again!!

Okay, now for a list of the rides I can't wait to ride again! Not an exhaustive list of everything we plan to do, but some of those that I look forward to the most.

Magic Kingdom
Favorite - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Tomorrowland Transport Authority - can't help it, just love riding it
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
Magic Carpets of Alladin
Winnie the Pooh Ride
(Small World will be closed :sad1: )
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain? I know I've ridden it and it's fun, but looking at that hill always intimidates me!
Carousel of Progress
Spectromagic Parade
Wishes Fireworks

EPCOT

Favorite - Soarin'!
Test Track
Spaceship Earth
And of course walking through the world showcase
Illuminations

Disney Studios
Favorite - Tower of Terror ("Tigger's Bouncy House of Fun")

Animal Kingdom
Favorite #1 - Expedition Everest (LOVE the part after the broken track)
Favorite $2 - Dinosaur

Safari Ride

Typhoon Lagoon - Wave Pool!

Pretty Exciting!! :dance3:

The ME is fantastic. It's very well organized. We've used it every time except in 2004 when it wasn't yet available. If there is a long wait to get a bus to your resort, the line guides usually have trivia games for the kids with the winning kid getting the copy of the card.
Don't worry. TSM is a great great ride. Even if it seems you have to wait long you should go for it. It opens 2 days after we arrive.. Glad for that, but Star Tours will be closing so we have to grab a last ride to Endor. Next time Star Tours will be in 3D. All missing out on Small World http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/sad06.gif
Best thing of all. We will be home for 10 glorious days..
Everyone..Enjoy your departure from the "real world"
Bonnie

Don't worry. TSM is a great great ride. Even if it seems you have to wait long you should go for it. It opens 2 days after we arrive.. Glad for that, but Star Tours will be closing so we have to grab a last ride to Endor. Next time Star Tours will be in 3D.

Best thing of all. We will be home for 10 glorious days..
Everyone..Enjoy your departure from the "real world"
Bonnie

Star Tours will be open for all of August though, right? I think I heard it is closing in September.

We're having a nice long trip this time too. Very excited!!

I must be crazy! I WISH I could start packing right now for our trip!!! Must just be my excitement to go. You know, packing means the trip is getting CLOSE, right? I woke up from a nap today salivating about eating a Mickey Mouse Rice Krispie treat! :lmao: It won't be long now. We are leaving 4 weeks from tomorrow.

True confessions, I have started "gathering" things like some of the toiletries and miscellaneous items. And I've got a pretty good packing list going. I wouldn't be a very good Disney fanatic with an upcoming trip if I didn't! But now I have taken it to the next level. :idea: I've modified my packing list into a wonderful spreadsheet, all ready for checking things off on!

I took my packing list, highlighted it all, and converted the text into a table. Then I added a few columns to either side of the items on the list. So here's what I've gotten.

Columns 1 - 3 at the top say Buy, G(ather), P(acked) (one at the top of each column). Now I can keep track of the status of the items I am gathering (or need to buy)

Column 4 lists each item I want to pack, line by line. For this trip I've started listing exactly which shirts, shorts, etc. I want to bring for each of us too. In the past when packing for a trip I've always thought, "wash all our clothes, and packing them will be easy". But I've found that it is overwhelming to decide exactly how many shirts and which exact ones I want to take for each of 4 people - especially when I coordinate outfits on many days. So this time I'm listing them out a little better, and getting some of the thinking done in advance.

Column 5 is currently blank, but I'm leaving it there for now.

Column 6 says "carry on" at the top, and I will check the box if that item needs to be put in a carry on. Not only would that apply to items we just plain don't want to lose, but also to our situation this time. We'll be staying for 2 nights at CSR and then moving to Pop. It would be great if we can live with what we've packed in our carry-ons for those days and not open our big suitcases. I don't know if that will be possible or not. If we do need to open one, hopefully it will just be ONE. Since we each get a personal item and a carry-on for the plane (for free, but have to pay for checked luggage), I'm also noting in that column if an item will go in....for example....my son's personal bag. I'll put jp (Jim Personal). Those will be things we want access to on the plane.

Column 7 says "suitcase" at the top. I'll make a check in this column if the item should be packed in a suitcase. And may go as far to say S1 or S2 (hoping to only take 2 suitcases for our family of 4).

Some of you reading this will think, "she is ridiculous", and others will think I am "brilliant" :worship: :rotfl2:!! I'm just hoping to contain some of the last minute packing stress I find myself in frequently.

If you've got any tips for me for a split trip, feel free to send them along!

I wish I could pack early, I have also started putting travel toiletries in my suitcase so I won't lose them. I bought a few never seen before toys for the baby and put them in. I have contacts and rinse for my husband. He only wears them at water parks ect...so I know I can put them in now.
I have a to do list started: like dog needs some shots at vet to go to kennel, I just crossed that off the list!

Last trip we went in October, as the weather cooled and school started I started putting shorts away, can't do that this time:goodvibes
That is why this forum is great, my family thinks I am crazy. I like your spread sheet idea. I say BRILLIANT!!

I wish I could pack early, I have also started putting travel toiletries in my suitcase so I won't lose them.

Aaaah toiletries. The safe place for us super excited Dis'ers to go when we want to pack SOMETHING but know it's not time to pull out the suitcases yet! It makes sense though. Gathering toiletries seems like such a simple little thing to do, but always takes more time than you think. Everything does!

I have a to do list started: like dog needs some shots at vet to go to kennel, I just crossed that off the list!

Nice! I need to start a To Do list too. That's another fun way to accomplish things in advance.

That is why this forum is great, my family thinks I am crazy. I like your spread sheet idea. I say BRILLIANT!!

Thank you! I knew SOMEONE would be on board with me!

4 Weeks from right this minute I will be on a plane to the Happiest Place In The World!!!!!!!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter