We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

Nice update. The train museum and mini train looked fun. Gosh Griffith park has SO many neat things in it. We def want to go back and spend more time there. It is amazing we have done several of these trips now and always find things we want to go back and so or do again with more time. It was neat seeing your pics of downtown. It was funny because we stayed by the LAX airport and now in retrospect we should have stayed closer to Hollywood because we really only did one day in LA and the rest were mostly over there so we did a LOT of commuting back and forth. But we drove through downtown a lot and that big building that is round was in the movie independance day. it is now a us bank bldg but if you saw the movie it was the first one the aliens blew up. I think it was a first interstate bank bldg back then LOL. Also that other big bldg you took pics of is the Ritz Carlton which is part of the convention center. Cool bldg!!

We learned a lot on our tour and I would like to do another walking tour of the downtown historic bldgs. Very interesting!

Loved seeing Shakys. We had those here as well and they were fun. And yucko about your room. That is a bummer it was so nasty.

Nice update. The train museum and mini train looked fun. Gosh Griffith park has SO many neat things in it. We def want to go back and spend more time there. It is amazing we have done several of these trips now and always find things we want to go back and so or do again with more time. It was neat seeing your pics of downtown. It was funny because we stayed by the LAX airport and now in retrospect we should have stayed closer to Hollywood because we really only did one day in LA and the rest were mostly over there so we did a LOT of commuting back and forth. But we drove through downtown a lot and that big building that is round was in the movie independance day. it is now a us bank bldg but if you saw the movie it was the first one the aliens blew up. I think it was a first interstate bank bldg back then LOL. Also that other big bldg you took pics of is the Ritz Carlton which is part of the convention center. Cool bldg!!

We learned a lot on our tour and I would like to do another walking tour of the downtown historic bldgs. Very interesting!

Loved seeing Shakys. We had those here as well and they were fun. And yucko about your room. That is a bummer it was so nasty.

We did see Independence Day and I remembered that building & scene. When I took the pics, there was a reason but I look back now & can't remember what they were or why I took the pics.....lol

I'd like to explore more of Griffith Park.....so many things to see there!!

Shakeys~~Good~~ Super 8 Westminster~~BAAAAAAADDDDDDDD :lmao:

Day 12, Part 1:​

So remember I told you how disgusting our room was.....this was our feet in the morning before showering!!!

We left Westminster around 9am and headed towards San Diego. We made a stop in Mission Viejo for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. (we actually missed our exit & had to turn around & go back.....thanks again Google Maps!)

Is it just me or have the doughnuts gotten smaller??

We continued our trip south and Betty spotted signs for San Juan Capistrano Mission and wanted to get some pics, so we pulled off for an unplanned stop. These are pictures I got from the van.

Day 12, Part 2:​

We found out that just driving by the mission wasn't exactly what Betty wanted, so Mike found a place to park & they went off to actually go in. They got to the entrance and found it there was an admission price. Betty hadn't grabbed her purse and it was probably a little more then what they wanted to spend just to grab a couple pictures, so they decided not to go in. The gentlemen working there did let them into the garden & Mike got these pictures. That ended up being enough for Betty!!

Back out on the road & we started seeing signs for:
San Diego Zoo
Safari Park
and so Mike decided to trust the signs instead of my Google Map directions......but then we found out it was for the Safari Park or SD Zoo and not the Zoo itself.....so back out on the highway and continuing south.....lol We eventually did find the San Diego Zoo (around 12:15).

We went in and made a pit stop & fed Michayla. We decided to do the Zoo Bus Tour as we figured this would give us a good way to see a chunk of the zoo quickly (since our time was limited). These are pictures as we waited in line.

After about a 30 minute wait, we were on our way on the bus.

Day 12, Part 4:​

Continuing on the Zoo Bus Tour.

So the tour is more of a quick overview of the park. They don't really stop for pictures (they want you to actually go see the different exhibits) so I was a tad disappointed that we didn't get to see more & enjoy what we were seeing as I had thought it would be. I was glad we did it though because we were short on time & it let the kids see different animals from the comfort of the bus.

We wandered up towards the Koala Bears and stopped for lunch at Sydnies Grill. The food was pretty good!!

Day 12, Part 5:​

We finished lunch and noticed they were letting some parrots(?) out to fly across where we were.

After lunch, we headed to the Australian Outback to see the Koala Bears again. They are so darned cute!!

I think this is a wallaby.

Next was the Rhinos.

We went back to the giraffe's to see the baby up close!

While we were waiting for the wheelchair shuttle, we noticed they were giving the rhino a bath.....so we got a few pics!

We were picked up by the shuttle and we asked to be taken to Panda Canyon. I really wanted to see the panda bears. We got up to the panda's only to find out that the wait time from the sign (which we were at) was an hour!! Boooooo, disappointed & wish someone would have mentioned that there would be a queing line & wait. So these pictures of the animals we saw up in this area.

We were needing to head back to the entry since we still needed to check in to our motel & head to Michelle's home for dinner. So we had a clerk in one of the gift shops call for the shuttle. We loaded up (the lift broke) and we headed towards the exit & gift shops.

Day 12, Part 6:​

We were headed to the gift shops and the girls stopped to hula hoop to the music.

We did a few more pictures since we paid for their version of photopass before shopping.

Love this one of Michayla!

We used up the balance on our gift cards and had headed towards Kings Inn Motel to check in to our rooms and empty out the car before heading to dinner.

Day 12, Part 7:​

So after unloading the van, we loaded people back in & headed to Michelle's house (Michelle is the one that met us at the Farmer's Market & spent time with us at Walt's Barn too). One of the other Dis Diva's was also there~Monica!! Unfortunately, Zoe was at acting camp and couldn't be there.

We were treated to a delicious taco & enchilada dinner!!

After dinner we had ice cream floats. It was a fun & super yummy dinner & dessert. Unfortunately, it was time to head back to the motel...we were all tired & had a big day coming up!! Here's a picture of me with Michelle & Monica (Dis Diva's)

Thanks for the hospitality Michelle!!

We loved our 3 rooms at Kings Inn. It's in Motel/Hotel Circle...I think that's what they call it. It was nicely located to both the zoo & SeaWorld.

The pool at night is pretty!!

If we go back to San Diego, we will definitely be coming back here. Comfy rooms, nice pool & hot tub & a clean laundry room. Also the restaurant~~Waffle Spot in the morning & Amigo Spot in the evenings was super good!! Affordable too.....which is why we stayed here.....very happy with our choice!!

Nice update. Fun that you stopped at Krispy Kreme. We had one here and they got rid of it which I thought was weird but I know I grew up with Winchells and I prefer those type to Krispy Kreme so not sure if that is what happened or people thought the donuts cost too much or what. But they are still good, what donuts aren't good lol. And YUCK about your room. That is SO nasty. If the floors are that filthy makes you wonder about everything else. GAG. Glad that was the only one that was bad!

That is cool that you stopped at the mission. We have kind of gotten to the point now where we don't focus so much on just disney or whatever and are trying to explore all the things our state has that we never bothered with before. Would you believe I have basically lived in CA my entire life and have NEVER been to a mission? I have always wanted to go but just never have to def have to put that on my stops. That one looked pretty and SJC is a pretty town. Do you know about the swallows?

Loved your zoo pics but bummer you didn't get much time. We always a lot an entire day there because it is so huge and now that mom needs a wheelchair it takes even longer. We went there a few years ago as part of the diva trip and hope to go back next thanksgiving as part of the city pass like what you did. I am looking forward to it!

Anxious for your Seaworld part as we haven't been there in years and looking forward to going back!

wow lots of updates!

If you can believe it, I have never had a Krispy Kreme- there aren't any near where I live- one of those things I guess.

Wow that hotel room was dirty! Yikes!!

Your Zoo pictures are lovely, what a of animals!

I really love the variety of this report- the only place I have visited in LA area/Cali in the last many years is DLR, so good to see some of the others.\

I just noticed your ticket for WDW!!!! Holy missed that announcement! How exciting, PTR??

Nice update. Fun that you stopped at Krispy Kreme. We had one here and they got rid of it which I thought was weird but I know I grew up with Winchells and I prefer those type to Krispy Kreme so not sure if that is what happened or people thought the donuts cost too much or what. But they are still good, what donuts aren't good lol. And YUCK about your room. That is SO nasty. If the floors are that filthy makes you wonder about everything else. GAG. Glad that was the only one that was bad!

That is cool that you stopped at the mission. We have kind of gotten to the point now where we don't focus so much on just disney or whatever and are trying to explore all the things our state has that we never bothered with before. Would you believe I have basically lived in CA my entire life and have NEVER been to a mission? I have always wanted to go but just never have to def have to put that on my stops. That one looked pretty and SJC is a pretty town. Do you know about the swallows?

Loved your zoo pics but bummer you didn't get much time. We always a lot an entire day there because it is so huge and now that mom needs a wheelchair it takes even longer. We went there a few years ago as part of the diva trip and hope to go back next thanksgiving as part of the city pass like what you did. I am looking forward to it!

Anxious for your Seaworld part as we haven't been there in years and looking forward to going back!

I don't think Krispy Kreme's are as popular as they were there for a while. But still fun to do & eat on special occasions! Yeah, that room was nasty & knowing they catered to "one nighters" lol made me look for needles and such around beds & stuff. YUCK!!!!!!!

Betty was excited about the Mission, I'm sure she would have loved to tour all of it, but time was limited (and luckily she had forgotten her purse in the van)...but she seemed happy getting to see the garden area. It was beautiful! No, I guess I don't know about the swallows!

I'd like to go back & spend morning to night at the zoo to see it all.....especially those popular pandas! I also heard the Safari Park is really neat (and some prefer it over the zoo itself).

SeaWorld will be coming next!!!

wow lots of updates!

If you can believe it, I have never had a Krispy Kreme- there aren't any near where I live- one of those things I guess.

Wow that hotel room was dirty! Yikes!!

Your Zoo pictures are lovely, what a of animals!

I really love the variety of this report- the only place I have visited in LA area/Cali in the last many years is DLR, so good to see some of the others.\

I just noticed your ticket for WDW!!!! Holy missed that announcement! How exciting, PTR??

Their plain, hot off the line is what makes Krispy Kreme so popular. There's one about a 15 minute drive from Disneyland if you ever get out here & have a vehicle to drive around. I'll totally hook you up with directions to get there. You have to at least try them once!!

That hotel room was so nasty.....if we weren't so tired, (and we wouldn't get charged) I would have looked for a new place. Knowing it's where prostitutes hang out didn't make me feel good having my kids there (or sleeping on their beds....) making myself gag just thinking about it!

We decided we wanted to experience new things & see what else was out there for our family. What would work, what wouldn't work....... San Diego is definitely on our list to do a repeat visit to. We loved it there & only did the 2 things.

Ahhhh, my ticker........Derek is going back for his 3rd go-around on the College Program at WDW. He gets done on August 7th & we will fly in that day and stay for 11 nights. He gets good discounts & it's the only way we could ever afford to do a trip like that. It will be the first time the 4 littles have been on a plane....could be interesting!

Just catching up....wow! what a trip! You have a wonderful family and what an awesome vacation you had.

I went to the San Diego Zoo way back in 1998...took the same bus tour. If I remember correctly, we got to see the pandas (don't remember waiting to see them but we were there in early March) but they had their backs to us so we really didn't see them. We also stayed in hotel circle...I think the hotel's name was town and country. My daughter was a competitive synchronized skater...we were there for a competition. Unfortunately her team had a bad fall and they came in last...but it was a good experience for them.

I see you are going to WDW next year...woohoo! Your kids will love it. I am going in January. I'm actually going to Florida for the month of January...my mom winters there and since my stepdad passed away we are not comfortable letting her go by herself. She is 91, lives alone but she doesn't drive. She has excellent neighbors in Florida who take care of her but I want to go just to see how she gets along. So my youngest dd and I were planning on a weekend trip to WDW...then my sister decides she wants to go...then dd asks if a couple of her friends can go...then oldest dd and grandson decide to go. Then I decided to invite a good friend who lives in Florida and always puts me up when I go. So now there will be 7 adults and 2 children for a quick visit. So excited. We will be staying at All Star Movies.

Looking forward to the rest of your tr.

Just catching up....wow! what a trip! You have a wonderful family and what an awesome vacation you had.

I went to the San Diego Zoo way back in 1998...took the same bus tour. If I remember correctly, we got to see the pandas (don't remember waiting to see them but we were there in early March) but they had their backs to us so we really didn't see them. We also stayed in hotel circle...I think the hotel's name was town and country. My daughter was a competitive synchronized skater...we were there for a competition. Unfortunately her team had a bad fall and they came in last...but it was a good experience for them.

I see you are going to WDW next year...woohoo! Your kids will love it. I am going in January. I'm actually going to Florida for the month of January...my mom winters there and since my stepdad passed away we are not comfortable letting her go by herself. She is 91, lives alone but she doesn't drive. She has excellent neighbors in Florida who take care of her but I want to go just to see how she gets along. So my youngest dd and I were planning on a weekend trip to WDW...then my sister decides she wants to go...then dd asks if a couple of her friends can go...then oldest dd and grandson decide to go. Then I decided to invite a good friend who lives in Florida and always puts me up when I go. So now there will be 7 adults and 2 children for a quick visit. So excited. We will be staying at All Star Movies.

Looking forward to the rest of your tr.

Ice or roller skating?

Oh wow, sounds like you'll have a great weekend at WDW.....almost sounds like you should maybe add a few days......lol (aren't I a good influence??) :hyper: Derek doesn't get there until the first week of February, so you'll miss getting to see him (if by chance your paths crossed). His first time on the college program he worked in the food court at All Star Movies!!

Can't wait to see the Sea World stuff. I will actually be at WDW next month so I will miss Derek.

Glad you liked San Diego. We really enjoy it as well and looking forward to going back next year! I agree the zoo takes a full day. I would like to do the wild animal park again as well. We have only done it once years ago and the girls have never been so would be fun to go. And yours would probably like Legoland. We did that once as well but to me it is more for little kids.

And the swallows a mass in SJC at the mission every year and then leave every year at the same time. They are famous for it. Kind of a fun trivia.

Excited to see your Seaworld part!! :)

Can't wait to see the Sea World stuff. I will actually be at WDW next month so I will miss Derek.

I'm working again today, so no updates unless I get ambitious tonight.

Glad you liked San Diego. We really enjoy it as well and looking forward to going back next year! I agree the zoo takes a full day. I would like to do the wild animal park again as well. We have only done it once years ago and the girls have never been so would be fun to go. And yours would probably like Legoland. We did that once as well but to me it is more for little kids.

And the swallows a mass in SJC at the mission every year and then leave every year at the same time. They are famous for it. Kind of a fun trivia.

Excited to see your Seaworld part!! :)

That is cool trivia!!

Ice or roller skating?

Oh wow, sounds like you'll have a great weekend at WDW.....almost sounds like you should maybe add a few days......lol (aren't I a good influence??) :hyper: Derek doesn't get there until the first week of February, so you'll miss getting to see him (if by chance your paths crossed). His first time on the college program he worked in the food court at All Star Movies!!

Where is he working this time Laurie, or does he know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter