• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"We're basically here for the food..." A September 2016 TR**Updated 4/21/17

I love your matching Up shirts! Up is one of my top five favorite Disney movies. Actually, I judge people by how they react to the first fifteen minutes of that movie. If it doesn't get to you, we can't be friends.

My favorite movie before seeing 'UP' was 'The Jungle Book', but ever since I saw 'UP' I absolutely fell in love with it. That movie and its way of connecting with me and my life is unbelievable. It gets me every time and I could watch it everyday. ANNNDDDD...there's a bird named Kevin in it. SQUIRREL!! :squirrel:

It's the buses. They automatically make you cranky. :rotfl2:

Oh. my. Goodness. The buses - everything about them on this trip made me cranky: The location of the pickup and drop off; You can sit down on the bench at CBR and people walk up and form a blob where the bus entry point is and because of that you get a sucky seat on the bus (even though you were there first); When there is a crying baby on the bus - right - next - to - you; when you miss the bus and wait another 25 minutes before the next one; when you get up from your seat so an older lady or mother with a small child can sit...well I don't mind that, but when someone else doesn't do it that is younger than me - it burns me up! BUT...the buses get us to the parks so that's a good thing. :worship:

Kevin ordered a specialty beer... my father and I ordered some specialty cocktails! The Snow Leopard Salvation was DELICIOUS and I highly recommend it. I will say they were very heavy on the vodka! :yay:

So I had the Kungaloosh Spiced Ale and it was tasty! I ranked it a 4.5 (out of 5) on untappd. Nomad Lounge was so nice and it surprised us because we knew about it and it was right there! And, it was the perfect time to get a nice drink and relax. I think the more people know about it, it will begin to get busier and busier, but when Avatarland opens, it will be packed - the views on the porch will be awesome!

20160904_124059_zpso22x081p.jpg

Our next stop was the Dug and Russel meet and greet. They were so adorable and it was well worth the 15 minutes that we waited there. WILDERNESS EXPLORERS!

And they have a bark machine that was so cool! You bark into the speaker and Dug responds back to your bark, it was pretty cool. I could have stayed at the meet and greet for a long time. We always had walked by, but this was the trip to meet characters and try to do the things that we never got to do a.k.a. we took the time to smell the roses :)

Kevin, between your Jungle Book Backpack, Grape Soda Pin, and Up shirt, you might be the coolest person on the DIS!

Thanks so much annie - if only I had worn my Jungle Book shoes that day too! :smooth:

I like how you got photos of the chefs with Aimee. I guess you've got to keep an eye on Donald around the ladies!

Donald was getting a little close. I think he was doing that to get back at me for hugging Daisy :love1:

Hmmm....I'm pretty bad-a** at speed walking too. If our trips ever line up, we need to race!

Definitely. It's on!

I had NO IDEA you could meet Tarzan. How cool!!

We wanted to meet him a little earlier than we did, but poor Tarzan was surrounded by several middle aged women. We didnt want to interupt whatever was going on there, haha!

I have a nine year old son. I know all about dabbing. I am not lucky. :sad2:

I know for a fact that we have so many dabbing pictures this year. Last year it was something called the Hasselhoff face. It's ok because Aimee and I have a plot. We are going to put all of these ridiculous photos in his senior yearbook, slideshow, etc.:crazy2:

I am absolutely loving the duel trip writing. Great updates from both of you. :thumbsup2

Thank you! I know my updates are not comparable to my wife's, but this is getting me used to the disboard :flower1:

Last edited:

Day 2 Part 5

I will begin this post by APOLOGIZING for the lack of photos from me on this entire afternoon and evening. Hopefully Kevin will swoop in and save the day with his post with a plethora of photo documentation, because I was slacking on the pics for some reason! :flower1:

Once back at the room, we tiptoed around while Ethan was taking a nap. We changed into our bathing suits, grabbed our books / Kindles, and headed to the main pool to decompress! As we walked over to the main pool at Old Port Royale Centertown, the weather was sunny one minute and then cloudy the next. I was hoping for a good afternoon in the sun, but it sort of looked like it may rain. :sunny:

Once we got to the pool, we stopped at the Banana Cabana Pool Bar to get some cocktails! My dad got a Pina Colada, I got a Grey Goose with Soda and 2 limes, and Kevin got a beer. :drinking1 We grabbed some towels and then got some pool chairs BEHIND the pool in the quiet area behind the water slide / fort. We were sort of near the hot tub. HELPFUL TIP: If you are looking for a quiet area at the main pool, I would head to the chairs behind the main slide! :thumbsup2

I will say that I did NOT like the way that the Caribbean Beach Resort main pool was laid out. The concrete area for chairs was not big enough, and all of the chairs were SO SQUISHED TOGETHER with no room to walk in between the chairs. :crowded: It was absolutely not pleasant to be sitting on top of each other. PLUS there were about 50 chairs with towels on them to make it look like people were sitting there, but nobody was anywhere to be found. I think that people leave their wet / used towels on the chairs because they are too lazy to put them in the dirty towel bins. :confused3

This is a photo that I found online of the hot tub area behind the water slide at the main pool. As you can see, the chairs aren't all squished together, and we were the only ones back there at the time which was terrific! :cool1:

cbr-hot-tub.jpg

We ended up having a nice sunny / cloudy afternoon at the pool reading and relaxing with our cocktails. Vacations are meant to be rejuvenating and relaxing….right? :flower1: I actually went down the big slide a few times, and spent some time swimming. The sun finally went behind the clouds, which made it a bit cooler outside. I covered up with towels and continued to sip on my drink and read my book until it was time to leave. :tilt:

We left the pool to go back to the room and get ready for our dinner reservations at Boma. After we were all cleaned up and ready to go, we went to the Custom House and asked them to call a Cab for us at the concierge desk.

We waited, and waited and waited for 30 minutes, and no cab came. :rolleyes1 We missed our dinner reservation. :mad: Apparently the concierge got busy and FORGOT to call our cab, so the concierge at CBR called over to Boma and asked them to extend our dinner reservation time because we were LATE. I was so upset. The short version is that they finally called the cab company, we were picked up, we got to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and we were allowed in even though we were SO LATE to our reservation. I was mortified that we missed our reservation, but so thankful that Boma was so wonderful and understanding with the situation. :lovestruc

th.jpg

We love Boma. This was our 3rd year in a row eating at this restaurant. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Boma! The service is always wonderful, and the food is unbelievable even though it is a buffet! :banana:

The chef came to our table and spent a long time asking me about my food likes and dislikes. We then walked up to the buffet together and he showed me what was safe and unsafe to eat with my gluten allergy. He also said that he would prepare a special gluten free curry dish for me, as well as a SPECIAL dessert platter that he said would be full of my most FAVORITE food… CHOCOLATE! I was very intrigued, and instantly fell in love with this chef because his passion for cooking and for food was contagious! :love:

I started to fill up my plate, and let me just tell you that Boma has SO MUCH FOOD and SO MANY GLUTEN FREE OPTIONS that my mind was spinning because I wanted some of EVERYTHING. :cake:

3718658735_5d73cbd105_z.jpg

I filled my plate with salad, chicken, salmon, sweet potatoes, and broccoli. The chef also kept his promise and brought me not only a plate of gluten free curry with jasmine rice, but also a whole plate of gluten free pitas with hummus! I literally was so excited that I almost cried. Everything was DELICIOUS!

My dad ordered a glass of Merlot, Kevin ordered an African beer, and I had my usual of a Grey Goose, soda, with 2 limes. :drinking1

20160904_184058.jpg

I thought that dinner was terrific, but it really went OVER the top when the chef hand delivered me my special plate of gluten free desserts including my favorite Zebra Domes! My stomach was so stuffed, but there is always room for dessert! :cake:

Do you see this FANCY GLUTEN FREE DESSERT PLATE? Its all for me! :love:

20160904_193422.jpg

If you have never eaten at Boma, I highly recommend it. As I said before, this was our 3rd time eating there for dinner and each time it is as good as the first. It is very consistent and I have never had a bad experience at Boma. You can be adventurous by trying all of the traditional African foods, or you can stick with the more American style foods.

Here is the full Boma Dinner Menu:

Soups & Stews (Rotation)

Butternut Squash Soup

Cape Malay Lamb Stew

Ghanian Oxtail Stew

Buerwors Sausage Stew

Spicy Nigerian Peanut Soup

Chicken-Corn Chowder

Seafood Gumbo

Carrot-Ginger Soup

Harira Soup

Mulligatawny

Coconut-Chicken-Curry Soup

Curried Butter Seafood

South African Curried Lobster

Salads

Watermelon Rind Salad

Chicken Salad with Chili Cilantro

Tunisian Couscous Salad

Roasted Turkey

Spinach and Quinoa Salad

Apple Jicama Salad

Pasta Salad

Kool Slaai

Ghana Tomato Salad

Pearl Couscous Salad

Artichoke and Preserved Lemon Salad

Avocado, Grapefruit, and Papaya Salad

Lentil and Hearts of Palm Salad

Chermoula-chilled Shrimp

Entrées (Rotation)

Pap and Chakalaka

Whole Durban-style Roasted Chicken

Whole Roasted Salmon

Bobotie

Slow-roasted Pork Ribs

Roasted Turkey

Pork Shoulder

Spice-crusted Beef Sirloin

Fufu

Spiced Sweet Potatoes

Sides (Rotation)

Couscous

Geel Rys

Plantain Crisps

Mashed Potatoes

Peanut Rice

Spiced Sweet Potatoes

Kokonut Rice

Zulu Cabbage

Desserts

Key Lime Cheesecake

Guava Panna Cotta

Apple Cobbler

Zebra Cupcake

Assorted Cookies and Brownies

Kenyan Coffee Tarts

Bread Pudding

Kids' Offerings

Sea Nuggets

Penne Pasta and Marinated Meatballs

Chicken Bites

Mealie Dogs

Mac & Cheese

After dinner, we hopped on a bus back to Animal Kingdom because we still had our reserved seating for the first showing of the Jungle Book Alive With Magic Show!! We were SO EXCITED because we were told that the show would end the very next day and was not coming back. We felt so lucky to have gotten the reservations with reserved seating at just the right time!

So we thought.... :rolleyes1

Well, we got to Animal Kingdom and was raining. And then it started to pour. Luckily we had our umbrellas so we headed straight to the gift shops in Discovery Island and out of the rain. The Tree Of Life Awakenings were happening and we kept catching glimpses of if as we were running with our umbrellas from shop to shop! Then we ran across to the Tree of Life and went into Its Tough To Be A Bug which we LOVE, so we were happy that we go to see it even though we really didn't plan to.

The rain was pretty steady, and then it was announced over the loudspeaker that the first showing of The Jungle Book Alive With Magic show was cancelled due to the weather. Booooooooooooooo!!!!! Oh well.

My dad and Kevin were tired, and they both decided to head back to the resort and relax. Ethan and I chose to stay at AK to watch as many of the Tree of Life Awakenings as possible, because OH MY GOSH they are AWESOME! :jumping1:

The Tree of Life Awakenings were breathtaking, and emotional, and brought tears to my eyes, they were amazing! If there is one thing that Disney does right, its their Night Time shows. You can quote me on this, but THIS may be Disneys greatest night time show. They are short, but they are amazing. I Loved every second watching this! :love:

20160904_214008.jpg

While Ethan and I stood under our umbrellas for about an hour watching the Tree of Life Awakenings, the strangest thing happened – the rain slowed down, and then became a sprinkle, and then barely nothing but a few itty bitty drops here and there. We were still holding out for the 2nd showing of The Jungle Book Show, but we also decided that it would be a great idea to ride Expedition Everest AT NIGHT!!!! Normally EE closes early at 5:00 or 6:00, so this was a new idea for us to actually ride it in the DARK! :scared1:

The park was scheduled to stay open LATE tonight, so we were so happy! We had never been inside of AK at night before!

While walking over to EE, the dreaded announcement came over the speakers…. The Jungle Book Alive With Magic 2nd showing was also cancelled. BUMMER!!! We really wanted to see it, but obviously it wasn't going to happen.

The flip side is that the park was nearly empty because everyone had left! :thumbsup2

We were able to ride Expedition Everest 3x in a row in the single riders line with ZERO WAIT TIME! 6x in 1 day on EE …. Yes please! party:

The ride photos show us waterlogged but happy! Let me just say that riding EE at night was VERY cool and felt like a totally different ride. We LOVED it!

Ethan doing the DAB again for his ride photo. How clever. :rotfl2:

AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20160905_7793749152.jpeg

Single rider photos are always funny, because I literally have no idea who the other 3 people are in my train. :rotfl2:

AK_EXPEDITIONEVERESTRIDE_20160905_7793746031.jpeg

We were exhausted, so we left the park and got on the bus headed to Caribbean Beach Resort. When we got back to the room, Kevin and my dad were still awake and they were a tad jealous that we got to ride EE again so many times! :thumbsup2

Even though we weren’t able to see the Jungle Book show, it was an excellent night. In my old age I have learned that sometimes you just gotta roll with it! We didn’t plan on anything that we actually did at Animal Kingdom that night, but we had an absolute ball. :jumping1:

Stay tuned for the next post when we Rope Drop Hollywood Studios!

Day 2: 21,161 Steps / 9.83 miles walked

Last edited:
After relaxing a bit at CBR it was time to eat at Animal Kingdom Lodge's Boma! We really like this restaurant - especially since it is a buffet! Having a buffet eliminates the questionable order or order that tastes horrible - because you can try a little bit of everything and that is exactly what I did. Insert bloated stomach in my belly!

Of course, we had the best service from Chef Matt.

20160904_184524_zpsbztr9wf5.jpg

He was probably the best Chef that helped my wife on the whole trip. And, of course, we chatted him up to where he’s from, where he went to school, and how long he’s been at WDW. He was very friendly and he even came out a couple of times to check on her and even made – MADE – the desserts for her…all gluten free!

Afterwards, it was back to AK to see the show. But you know as good as I do, that the rain comes and the rain goes – well it was there and the Jungle Book show was canceled. We were VERY disappointed and decided to keep the tickets for souvenirs.

We DID see the new shows on the Tree of Life which was pretty cool. Poncho City here!

20160904_203705_zpseirdzdko.jpg

After being bummed out and standing in the rain with a WDW umbrella, I was ready to go back to CBR and get some rest. Stay tuned because tomorrow in our trip was really cool! See you soon everyone.

20160904_212957_zpsttpuwhac.jpg

Hopefully Kevin will swoop in and save the day with his post with a plethora of photo documentation, because I was slacking on the pics for some reason! :flower1:

Ugh. I didn't have too many pictures either. The midday break messed me up.

I will say that I did NOT like the way that the Caribbean Beach Resort main pool was laid out.

I totally agree. Beach chairs 4 - 5 rows deep with towels on some, a pair of sunglasses one, and other arrangements around the whole pool. Frustrating to find a seat, but the ones we did find, were vacant and quiet. Which was good! One other thing that I didnt like was the location of the towels. There was only ONE location to get the towels and it is literally across the pool. In an ideal situation, there should have been two.

Kevin and Aimee, I really enjoy reading both of your contributions to this trip report!

Boma has been on my list forever, but we still have not gotten there. I know my husband and I would both love it. One of these days...

I'm so impressed with how well you were treated with your gluten allergy. It's good to know how seriously Disney views food allergies.

Three more times on EE?! Lucky!!!

Ride photos crack me up! The people in the ponchos in Ethan's photo look seriously unimpressed.

Tree of Life Awakenings sounds pretty amazing. I may have to catch that this January.

Kevin and Aimee, I really enjoy reading both of your contributions to this trip report!

Thank you SO MUCH for reading and hanging out with us through our vacation memories! We love talking about our trips, so its really exciting for us to share it in this manner with you!

Boma has been on my list forever, but we still have not gotten there. I know my husband and I would both love it. One of these days...

I cannot rave about Boma enough. I cannot say enough nice things about our experiences at Boma. I hope that you put this on your list for your next trip!! Do you like unique foods? If so, you will love it!

I'm so impressed with how well you were treated with your gluten allergy. It's good to know how seriously Disney views food allergies.

I was only diagnosed with Gluten Allergery last spring, so this was my very first time to WDW with having to eat Gluten Free. Boma went above and beyond the call of duty to help me to find flavorful and perfectly cooked foods that were absolutely delicious! I was so impressed too!! Disney as a whole is wonderful, but Boma is wonderful x 100!

Three more times on EE?! Lucky!!!

YES! It was super amazing, and we really got lucky!

Ride photos crack me up! The people in the ponchos in Ethan's photo look seriously unimpressed.

How can people ride EE and look so SERIOUS in the photos?? :) It cracks me up too haha :crazy:

Tree of Life Awakenings sounds pretty amazing. I may have to catch that this January.

I hope that you get to see it in January! It really is spectacular!! It was beautiful... the music is what really added so much feeling!

Boma sounds amazing. I really want to eat there on our next trip and it is in our plans but might be on our plans twice now :)

The fact that you MIGHT eat there twice on your vacation is making me smile!! I like the way that you think!! If you've never eaten at Boma, you will be amazed at the variety of food offerings! There are several different types of meat carving stations, lots of soups, several potato type dishes, pasta dishes, vegetables, hummus, salads, loads of breads, and the DESSERTS!!! The first time I went in, I was a bit shocked, but being an adventurous eater I wanted to try a little bit of everything! Some of the traditional African dishes have 'different' flavors that I was used to, but it was very fun to try! Someone who is NOT an adventurous eater can still go and eat their bellies full of beef, chicken, mac and cheese, pasta, etc...

20160904_193422-jpg.202985
I'm loving the VIP treatment! Those desserts look incredible.

The Tree of Life Awakenings were breathtaking, and emotional, and brought tears to my eyes, they were amazing!

but we also decided that it would be a great idea to ride Expedition Everest AT NIGHT!!!! Normally EE closes early at 5:00 or 6:00, so this was a new idea for us to actually ride it in the DARK!
A few weeks ago, I realized we didn't have any evenings scheduled at AK :confused3. I moved some things around and now we have a night-time EE FP+ ready to go and a plan to watch the Tree of Life Awakenings :banana:. Can't wait!

We were able to ride Expedition Everest 3x in a row in the single riders line with ZERO WAIT TIME! 6x in 1 day on EE
That's gotta be some kind of record...how fun!

Kevin and my dad were still awake and they were a tad jealous that we got to ride EE again so many times!
I'm kinda jealous too :laughing:

Of course, we had the best service from Chef Matt.

20160904_184524_zpsbztr9wf5-jpg.202992
OK, Chef Matt is adorable. He reminds me of Darren (the first one) on Bewitched... Anyone else see it? No? Just me? :rolleyes1

I'm loving the VIP treatment! Those desserts look incredible.

The desserts were amazing. I may or may not have eaten them ALL! :rolleyes1

A few weeks ago, I realized we didn't have any evenings scheduled at AK :confused3. I moved some things around and now we have a night-time EE FP+ ready to go and a plan to watch the Tree of Life Awakenings :banana:. Can't wait!

YAY!! You and your family are going to have such an amazing time! AK at night is so different than in the daytime. You're going to love it! The Awakenings.... *sigh*.... its MAGICAL! :love: Please let me know how much you love it all when you get back!

OK, Chef Matt is adorable. He reminds me of Darren (the first one) on Bewitched... Anyone else see it? No? Just me? :rolleyes1

He was super young, and totally adorable, and he had such a huge passion for cooking! :cool1: ..... but now every time that I see that photo, all I am going to see is Darren LOL!! :rotfl:

Awesome report!

I understand the cranky moody teenager. My son was 15 when we went last time and he had his moments. I offered him a few times to go back to the room but he always refused and wanted to be with us. I think he was afraid of missing out. lol

It's so unfortunate that you didn't enjoy CBR. We've stayed there twice and enjoyed it but we were in Aruba, facing the bus stop, both times.

Awesome report!

I understand the cranky moody teenager. My son was 15 when we went last time and he had his moments. I offered him a few times to go back to the room but he always refused and wanted to be with us. I think he was afraid of missing out. lol

It's so unfortunate that you didn't enjoy CBR. We've stayed there twice and enjoyed it but we were in Aruba, facing the bus stop, both times.

Thank you so much for reading along! :thanks:

The teenager moodiness is definitely a force to be reckoned with. isn't it? :rolleyes1 I think that's awesome that your son wanted to stay with you because he didn't want to miss anything! Thats sweet :love: !!! Next time maybe he will take you up on the offer to go back to the resort for a quick nap. The naps worked WONDERS for my son and his moods! :)

I SO WANTED to enjoy CBR this trip, I really did. I honestly believe that it would have helped tremendously if we were in a different location in the resort. It sounds like you know of the perfect location, so maybe I will have to try that one if we ever decide to stay there again! :flower1:

Score on riding Expedition Everest six times in one day. I think I've only ridden three times back to back one morning. You win. :goodvibes I am really looking forward to being in Animal Kingdom after dark. It should be a whole new experience.

The dessert plate you got at Boma looked delicious. It's nice to hear that the chef's really try to bring you out special dishes. I've never eaten there before but it's on my list of restaurants to try.

Score on riding Expedition Everest six times in one day. I think I've only ridden three times back to back one morning. You win. :goodvibes I am really looking forward to being in Animal Kingdom after dark. It should be a whole new experience.

The dessert plate you got at Boma looked delicious. It's nice to hear that the chef's really try to bring you out special dishes. I've never eaten there before but it's on my list of restaurants to try.

I think that you will LOVE the Animal Kingdom after dark experiences. Even though it was raining hard for part of our evening, it was so wonderful! I also can hardly wait until our next time we are there at night. I hope that you get to ride EE at night at LEAST 3x in a row because it was fantastic! :)

I'm glad that Boma is on your list to try. It really had turned into a 'Disney Must Do' for our family. The variety of foods are wonderful!

Oh. my. Goodness. The buses - everything about them on this trip made me cranky: The location of the pickup and drop off; You can sit down on the bench at CBR and people walk up and form a blob where the bus entry point is and because of that you get a sucky seat on the bus (even though you were there first); When there is a crying baby on the bus - right - next - to - you; when you miss the bus and wait another 25 minutes before the next one; when you get up from your seat so an older lady or mother with a small child can sit...well I don't mind that, but when someone else doesn't do it that is younger than me - it burns me up! BUT...the buses get us to the parks so that's a good thing. :worship:

We waited, and waited and waited for 30 minutes, and no cab came. :rolleyes1 We missed our dinner reservation. :mad: Apparently the concierge got busy and FORGOT to call our cab, so the concierge at CBR called over to Boma and asked them to extend our dinner reservation time because we were LATE. I was so upset.

<cough> Rental car <cough>

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Boma!

ME TOO!!

Aw man! You got brownies on yours. The night we went I didn't get the brownies. Or the strawberry.
We were able to ride Expedition Everest 3x in a row in the single riders line with ZERO WAIT TIME! 6x in 1 day on EE …. Yes please! party:

YAYYYY!! #EEForever!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter