Went too hard at MK yesterday...owwwww...need advice

alliecats

DIS Veteran
My first solo trip, no one else's needs to consider...it all went to my head. I went around 12 hours yesterday, 30,000 steps or so and my legs are killing me today, especially feet and calves. I am so stiff and really hurting. I am supposed to go to Epcot today. This is a really short trip and tickets are so expensive that I don't want to light money on fire by not going. At the same time, I don't want to hurt myself. What is the best thing to do? (Just checked my Fitbit and it was almost 13 miles...I don't really exercise at home much, I know, I know. I'm gonna do better in future.)

The good thing about going solo is you can do what you want.

The bad thing about going solo is there's no one there to say, "Whoa, Tex--maybe we should pack it in for the day." :D

I almost always feel better when I get to the park for RD. I may not be able to go as long as I would, but the adrenaline for park opening always gets me going.

Only you can judge if you think you have sore muscles or actually have hurt yourself. If I just had sore muscles then personally I'd push on through. Sure, I'd slow it down a bit at Epcot, but I'd still go. Epcot has plenty of rides where you can sit down for a while. Ellens' Energy is 45 minutes of sitting, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, the short films, Figment are all rides you can nearly get on without standing in line and sit down for a while. Use FP+ if you can to get on the more popular rides so you don't have to walk as much. If you're really sore, stay out of the World Showcase, as it's a lot of walking.

Do you have something you can roll over your calf muscles, and roll your foot on? It might help to loosen the muscles (more in your calf then your foot). If you can even just get your hands on a hard ball, or a bottle of some kind, just something that rolls. You'll have to really put pressure on it while you roll and it will hurt but it might help.

Use the boats to get around World Showcase Lagoon. Stop, sit, and people watch to take a break. All of the Future World attractions are sit down. But not all of the World Showcase movies are. The movie in France is. Take it in as a break.

I find Epcot the most relaxing of all the parks.

The good thing about going solo is you can do what you want.

The bad thing about going solo is there's no one there to say, "Whoa, Tex--maybe we should pack it in for the day." :D

I almost always feel better when I get to the park for RD. I may not be able to go as long as I would, but the adrenaline for park opening always gets me going.

Rope drop is what started all this. :) I did it for the first time yesterday and was grinning like a fool the whole time! It set the tone for the madness to come, lol. I really need someone to "whoa, Tex," me, it seems.

Soak your legs in a hot bath and load up on the ibuprofen and go. I bet they will recover pretty quickly today. Wear different shoes if you have them though.

Ok, I have Advil and some Keens that are just begging to be worn on what is supposed to be a rainy day. Queue Rocky theme song!

Only you can judge if you think you have sore muscles or actually have hurt yourself. If I just had sore muscles then personally I'd push on through. Sure, I'd slow it down a bit at Epcot, but I'd still go. Epcot has plenty of rides where you can sit down for a while. Ellens' Energy is 45 minutes of sitting, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, the short films, Figment are all rides you can nearly get on without standing in line and sit down for a while. Use FP+ if you can to get on the more popular rides so you don't have to walk as much. If you're really sore, stay out of the World Showcase, as it's a lot of walking.

Ah, good point. I do have fast passes in Future World. I can always leave if it's too much. Ellen sounds great.

Do you have something you can roll over your calf muscles, and roll your foot on? It might help to loosen the muscles (more in your calf then your foot). If you can even just get your hands on a hard ball, or a bottle of some kind, just something that rolls. You'll have to really put pressure on it while you roll and it will hurt but it might help.

I do have some cold water and a can of Blu Emu spray. I will try the bottle first and the the spray. If any mosquitoes bite me today, they will be sorry. ;)

Use the boats to get around World Showcase Lagoon. Stop, sit, and people watch to take a break. All of the Future World attractions are sit down. But not all of the World Showcase movies are. The movie in France is. Take it in as a break.

I find Epcot the most relaxing of all the parks.

Wait what is this about boats? I am coming from Pop on the bus. There are boats inside Epcot?? Please tell me more. This is what I love about the Dis--I've been to Epcot a jillion times and didn't know this!

I second this! I usually bring a massage stick for my legs and a golf ball for my feet. The massage helps with recovery so you're ready to go the next day :-). If you don't have something you can roll, just try giving yourself a leg/foot massage.

Does your resort have a hot tub? I would jump in asap if they do! Instead of ibuprofen try Aleve if you can find it. It is much more effective on sore muscles than ibuprofen. My mom told me that for years, but I had to learn the hard way. And mom was right! Aleve!!!

I would take the ibuprofen and do some gentle stretching. A hot bath might work to loosen things up. If you feel up to it, just go slow at Epcot and take lots of breaks.

Wait what is this about boats? I am coming from Pop on the bus. There are boats inside Epcot?? Please tell me more. This is what I love about the Dis--I've been to Epcot a jillion times and didn't know this!

There are 4 boat launches. It may or may not be convenient for you. If you tour in a circle around the lake, you'll probably have no need for a boat. But if you are starting out across the lake or need to get across for an ADR the boats are a good way to sit and enjoy. I find them slower than my walking, so allow extra time.

Once you get walking the soreness will lessen. Between walking the parks and the DL half marathon last weekend, wife and I did over 50 miles in three days. We were sore when first getting out of bed in the morning. But, once we got going, all was fine. Good luck and enjoy!

If you have a car.... Epsom salt bath works like a miracle. While it won't work now but if you are still hurting today I would do the bath tonight before bed and you will wake up feeling like a new person. In the meantime I am sure some advil will help you get through the day. Worst comes to worse like PP said I would just rent a scooter. It would be worth the expense if you are in that much pain.

I feel your pain Alliecats. Today is my 4th park day....I have had over 30,000 steps the last 3 days. It's the blisters that are killing me. For pain tho, as others have suggested....advil, rolling out muscles, drinking tons of water and eating a banana have helped me on the past.

Good luck!

I would recommend Aleve. It has naproxen sodium which is an anti-inflammatory. And, echoing a PP, once you start walking your muscles will loosen up.

Hope your legs feel better and that you have a great day!

Aleve is your friend. Nothing better for sore joints and muscles. It's in our permanent park overnight bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter