Welcome To The Real World, Kiddies

I almost guarantee just about every company has a dress code. Try showing up for work in ripped up shorts and a T-shirt with cuss words on it.

Also, haven't you been working at the same company for years? So how would you know whether companies still have dress codes or not? Or do you routinely ask people what their company's dress code is?
Only been here 10 years, shortest tenure of the three station I've been at in my career. But people do escape TV and get other jobs, many with the state, and from what they say, there is no dress code there, the union makes sure of that.

I have a dress code. And I don't receive a clothing allowance.

I've always had a dress code, and I've never received an allowance.

And like another poster, when I started working I wore skirted suits with hose. And heels. And we only took off our jackets while we were at our desk.
I am in California, and we are almost another planet when it comes to work place laws.

While I find the intern's actions out of bounds, I have to ask, companies still have dress codes? Unless the company is providing and paying for the clothing (such as a uniform), I haven't seen a dress code in years. But I do work in an industry where many on air people get a clothing allowance, so companies get caught in a catch 22 if they were imposing a dress code on people for whom they were NOT paying for the clothing.

I have stepped away from the work world for a bit but when I worked in accounting we had a dress code, my brother works for that company now and the same dress code is in effect. All the schools my kids attended had dress codes for the teachers and staff. My husband is in sales, going to clients, going to trade shows and has worked for various companies and they all had dress codes. My current job has a dress code although many do "violate" it but I think he doesnt care except for the shorts issue.

I'm not defending the people who got fired, but I think there's something that needs to be said: the dress code was ridiculous! Employees were required to wear leather shoes! I don't even own a pair of leather shoes, and couldn't afford a pair even if I wanted/ needed one. Still, the kid knew the rules when he/she agreed to work there.

I'm not defending the people who got fired, but I think there's something that needs to be said: the dress code was ridiculous! Employees were required to wear leather shoes! I don't even own a pair of leather shoes, and couldn't afford a pair even if I wanted/ needed one. Still, the kid knew the rules when he/she agreed to work there.
I've bought my DS leather shoes to wear to work for $50 from Amazon.

Leather shoes are far from ridiculous.

Even businesses that have a "business casual" dress code wouldn't allow sneakers - certainly not the sandals these kids wanted to wear.

How much do you think leather shoes cost? They're basically requiring dress shoes. I don't see that as ridiculous in an office setting.

My two pairs of dress shoes are.... well, they're not leather. I don't actually know what the faux leather is; plastic maybe?

Are they interning or are they co-oping? All the interns I met or had to deal with do not get paid at all, but they do get college credit. Co-oping does get paid and some people might get college credit.

Being paid or not is really industry-specific.
In my engineering field, all of our internships are paid, and paid pretty well. (We occasionally hire students who are working here are part of a co-op, but for our day to day life the fact that it's a co-op for them and not an internship doesn't mean anything to us at work.)
Not knowing what field these kids are in, it's silly to make guesses as to whether they were paid or not.

As to the petition... jeeze louise. Talk about blowing a good opportunity! We see internships as extended interviews. Does this intern "fit"? Clearly, if the first thing you try to do is change the dress code, it's just not a good fit.

I've never seen, or heard of, any company that had no dress code at all.

That's why you rarely see employees in a work environment wearing flip-flops, fishnet tank-tops or bikinis.

This made me laugh, because we didn't have a dress code at all until two years ago. When one of my coworkers started wearing flip flops and cut off jeans. Now we're a very casual workplace, but not THAT casual. So now we have a dress code. It mainly consists of "no flip flops and cut off jeans."

I work for a Fortune 200 company in our corporate offices. We dresscode is 'business casual' but beyond that the only thing is 'no flip flops' but some women still wear them. I'm not talking about dress shoes that are flip flops type I'm talking about Rainbows. We have women coming in here wearing leggings as pants. HR won't say anything. The VP of HR has said that he doesn't want to do anything about the dress code that will make people unhappy and less productive.

We have interns here as well that are paid ~$15/hr.

How do you become a college junior and not know enough about being in the workforce to not ask "What should I wear?" shortly after accepting a position. To me, it's common sense to know that workplaces expect you to dress a certain way. I teach in a public school. Faculty dress code is fairly "loose," but it exists. Women are expected to avoid tank tops and camisole tops unless wearing an overshirt, and sleeveless tops are frowned upon (but blouses with a full shoulder seam- so maybe 4"? are OK). Skirts/dresses of a modest length (no more than 2" above the knee) or nicer pants. We can "get away" with jeans-style pants occasionally, but not denim. Capris are OK, I'm not sure about shorts as I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear them. Women are also instructed to not wear leggings with big shirts. For the men, they need to wear nicer pants (Dockers or dress pants) and collared shirts (most wear dress shirts, occasionally you'll see a polo shirt). Ties are optional but they usually wear them. On Fridays, we have casual days; jeans and tees are OK, but camis, tank tops, etc. still are not. The men wear cargo shorts sometimes on Fridays. We are all asked to NOT wear flip-flops/thongs for safety reasons.

What gets me about this is that these kids don't really seem to have picked up on the "take home" lesson. They are upset that they weren't listened to, even though they structured an argument like those they'd seen in school. They complain that they didn't have the information about the other employee's footwear (to which they have no right) or they would have changed their argument, etc. I am not sure that they understand that there is a hierarchy in the real world and that people start at the BOTTOM and have to work their way up. Did anyone realize that this is the way the world works, or will they just continue to feel entitled and justified in their method, and try it again somewhere else?

I wonder whether this REALLY happened or was made up to make a great letter and answer on the website. There is NO information given that enables one to determine whether it's real or not. No company name. No "fired intern" who is verifying it. Etc.

Alison (the individual who runs AAM) is pretty good about determining whether or not a letter is fake before she posts it. I think only once or twice in the past year and half has it been decided that a letter was probably fake. And if you read through the posts, interns petitioning for a new dress code is pretty tame

It was discussed in the comments that the dress code probably meant leather-style flats and was meant to discourage flats like Toms showing up in the office. Yes, they could have actually meant actual leather shoes (which can't really be enforced because of religious/ethical boundaries), but it's generally easier to list what is allowed rather than listing what isn't

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter