Welcome To The Real World, Kiddies

Uh for their first 17 years, they didn't even have the power to change anything. They didn't even have a vote.

Children can take personal responsibility for the environment starting at 5 or 6. I know for sure the Carbon footprint of the average teenager today is substantially higher than mine was as a teen.. and I'm not THAT old. Today's kids are contributing to global warming, pollution etc at a much higher rate by their own personal choices.
National debt? Yes, kids can't vote. But my one vote doesn't effect a whole lot of change regarding debt no matter who I'm voting for.
The current generation has Food, Healthcare, Education, and Opportunity all of which my grandfather, who worked at 6, had rickets due to malnutrion, lost 3 siblings as children due to now preventable disease, left school in order to support his family, and then fight in WW2, would have had the common sense to be incredibly grateful for.

Last edited:
Just read the whole article and saw this.....(I'd say this hammered home the lesson these kids learned):

We were shocked. The proposal was written professionally like examples I have learned about in school, and our arguments were thought out and well-reasoned. We weren’t even given a chance to discuss it. The worst part is that just before the meeting ended, one of the managers told us that the worker who was allowed to disobey the dress code was a former soldier who lost her leg and was therefore given permission to wear whatever kind of shoes she could walk in. You can’t even tell, and if we had known about this we would have factored it into our argument.

They weren't entitled to this information. Not everything in the workplace is your business. I hope they learned a lesson, but I doubt it. I wish that some businesses would go back to a more strict dress code. IMO Leggings are only appropriate work attire if you are a dance instructor and should never be worn in an office environment. But I'm old school and started my first professional job wearing skirted suits to work.

One thing that bothers me is that a well-written dress code would explicitly state that exceptions would be made for medical reasons, particularly around shoes. So either the interns can't read and assimilate what they read or management didn't do a good job on writing the dress code.

I wonder whether this REALLY happened or was made up to make a great letter and answer on the website. There is NO information given that enables one to determine whether it's real or not. No company name. No "fired intern" who is verifying it. Etc.

It sure feeds in well to the "entitled" young people story line.

So, lets jump all over them. Anonymous people. Anonymous company. Sure, why not.

Even if they wrote in and said this was Fox News or General Electric or the Capitol, I would hope the editor would remove all that information because it is not relevant to the story at all. I wrote about a 26 year old at my current job getting bent out of shape bc there seems to be different rules for different employees and he got called out when he wore shorts. This is a small family owned business where we are not seen by the public, we sit in cube farm. He wanted to call out the boss and use golden boy who gets to wear shorts as an example. The people who have been around for awhile advised him against that bc he will fire you in a heartbeat. So yes this seems unfair, but this is this guy's business, he makes the rules and can enforce them how he sees fit. My coworker who I think is a great guy was out of line, we havent even been there 3 months past probation, so arguing for a change to the dress code, even if it seems confusing and biased, is not a good plan if you want to continue working there.

Last edited:
I also presented this article to my 18 year old who will be starting college in a few weeks...even he knew that this petition was a bad idea. He said that they are interns so they need to play by the rules.

He just recently started a job on campus. He dressed very conservatively for the first few weeks so he could get a feel for how they are required to dress. His boss was not very clear, there is no handbook. He was with other trainees. So he slowly relaxed his attire until he saw other people who were dressed in tshirts and shorts. He slowly changed what he wore and it hasnt been an issue but if it was he would switch it back in a heartbeat no matter what.

My department has an intern for the summer. We are an engineering department, and most of our work is desk work (design engineering) but sometimes we do go out in the field to inspect equipment. On the second day of his internship, our intern said that he didn't want to spend all summer at his desk. I didn't even know how to respond, but I gathered my thoughts and said something like "We'll see if we can get you out in the field".

Now, I don't really begrudge him the desire to go inspect stuff, but he really should have found a better way to express his wishes. He's made a few more comments that made me think his college needs a class on "how to behave during an internship", but in general he is a good kid with a lot of enthusiasm. I could see him signing a petition about a dress code, though.

IME, interns these days are fairly well-paid. DD22's boyfriend interned at 3 different engineering companies over the summers during college and was paid about $20 an hour. I only make $14 an hour with my master's degree.

I'm having lunch at my SIL's. There are a whole bunch of people here for the weekend, 4 of whom own companies. I brought up the article and all 4 of the business owners said, "I'd fire them." College kids need to learn that their uninformed, inexperienced opinions mean nothing to the people who employ them, and a group effort or petition to change business practices isn't going to be looked on favorably. Employers don't really care what a bunch of 19 and 20 year old interns (or TBH, new employees) think. Time for a reality check.

Are they interning or are they co-oping? All the interns I met or had to deal with do not get paid at all, but they do get college credit. Co-oping does get paid and some people might get college credit.

Are they interning or are they co-oping? All the interns I met or had to deal with do not get paid at all, but they do get college credit. Co-oping does get paid and some people might get college credit.

My daughter is doing a paid internship at her university this summer. Maybe it's because we're Canadian and the expectations/culture/rules/etc are different here, but all of the internships I've ever heard of are paid.

With regards to the original post, this is the paragraph I appreciated most:

A note about this post, which is being linked to from all over the internet: This situation is not about “young people today.” The letter-writer’s generation is far from the first to bridle at dress codes or misunderstand office culture or start out with little knowledge of how things work in offices. This is about being young and new to the work world, not about what generation they belong to. Most of us made plenty of mistakes when we first started work — I certainly did. So please go a little easier on this person.

Exactly! Any one of us could have made this mistake, or been wise enough to avoid it, no matter what generation we were born in.

At 20, I would have signed the petition out of an optimistic hope that maybe we'd get to wear sneakers all summer, and never thought of the possible consequences (because I wasn't the kind of girl who did). My mother might have signed it if she thought she was being oppressed by the regulations for women's business wear. How do I know this? Because once, back in the 80's, my 40-something mum's boss told her he wanted her to purchase some of those shirts with the floppy bows that were the usual office wear of the time. My mum refused, arguing that her seventies-era skirts and blouses were FAR more professional than the big shoulders and floppy bow ties, and besides - shouldn't she be judged on the quality of her work and not whether she wore a silly, humiliating bow? Her boss decided she wasn't a "good fit" for the "culture" of his office and let her go.

But my twenty year old daughter? I passed her the article and asked her to read it. Then I asked, "Would you have signed that petition?"

"No, absolutely not!"

"How can you be sure?" I asked.

"Because I didn't sign the petition against our academic advisor last year."

"Why not?"

"Well... I don't know what they thought they would achieve by it. And I didn't think she was that bad, really. And I knew I'd be working with her this summer. So, all in all, it seemed like a very bad idea and I didn't want any part of it."

She also thought that as an intern, you're a guest in the workplace at your boss's sufferance (she was very careful to dress similarly to her supervisor). And she also thought the interns should have done more research, at the very least speaking to the person they were singling out as an example of people "getting away" with breaking the dress code. (She's a scientist, and always all about data.)

I've always been thoroughly impressed by my daughter's good sense. Goodness knows, she didn't inherit it from me! :laughing:

Also, to everyone who likes to rag on "this generation"... who do you think raised them? We did. So, if you truly believe they're so clueless and self-centred and lacking in moral fibre... then take a good hard look at yourself. Because IF all that was true (and I don't believe for a moment it is), then our generation is the one to blame.

Truthfully, I believe there have been naive young people making foolish choices in EVERY generation. And there have been just as many wise, level-headed young people making smart decisions in every generation, too. Twitter and Instagram haven't destroyed this generation any more than pulp fiction, radio, television, jazz or rock music destroyed any generation previous.

The kids are all right. :hippie:

It must vary by field and region of the country. The ones I'm talking about were all paid internships.

While I find the intern's actions out of bounds, I have to ask, companies still have dress codes? Unless the company is providing and paying for the clothing (such as a uniform), I haven't seen a dress code in years. But I do work in an industry where many on air people get a clothing allowance, so companies get caught in a catch 22 if they were imposing a dress code on people for whom they were NOT paying for the clothing.

They learned the boss was a jerk who is such an egomaniacal tyrant, he'll fire anyone that even proposes anything.

I read through each post on this thread before responding and find it quite appropriate (and amusing) that the only real post which "sticks up" for the interns resorted to using words like, "jerk" and "eqomaniacal tyrant" and assumes "he'll (the boss) fire anyone..."

Do you know anymore about the boss you'd like to add? Or perhaps you can make up some more things to call him/her?

Not so sure the name calling is really helping your cause. ;)

While I find the intern's actions out of bounds, I have to ask, companies still have dress codes? Unless the company is providing and paying for the clothing (such as a uniform), I haven't seen a dress code in years. But I do work in an industry where many on air people get a clothing allowance, so companies get caught in a catch 22 if they were imposing a dress code on people for whom they were NOT paying for the clothing.

I've never seen, or heard of, any company that had no dress code at all.

That's why you rarely see employees in a work environment wearing flip-flops, fishnet tank-tops or bikinis.

My Catholic High school has a very specific dress code. Women wear pantyhose with skirts-- and the skirts can't be short. We wear a jacket if we're wearing pants. Guys wear jacket and tie... and no, our classrooms aren't air conditioned.

My husband's school has almost the same dress code.

And for the most part I love it. (For what it's worth, when the weather gets over the top hot and humid, the guys can remove their jackets. That was a huge improvement.) I think we look professional, and I think we send a message to our students about professional attire.

My Catholic High school has a very specific dress code. Women wear pantyhose with skirts-- and the skirts can't be short. We wear a jacket if we're wearing pants. Guys wear jacket and tie... and no, our classrooms aren't air conditioned.

My husband's school has almost the same dress code.

And for the most part I love it. (For what it's worth, when the weather gets over the top hot and humid, the guys can remove their jackets. That was a huge improvement.) I think we look professional, and I think we send a message to our students about professional attire.

My kids went to Catholic High School, not aware of a teacher dress code, but there sure was one for the students. Also, no facial hair on the boys.

I have a dress code. And I don't receive a clothing allowance.

I've always had a dress code, and I've never received an allowance.

And like another poster, when I started working I wore skirted suits with hose. And heels. And we only took off our jackets while we were at our desk.

That too. And no earrings. The girls can wear one per ear, no larger than a quarter.
And somehow, over the year, thousands of kids have survived.

I'm curious about the talk of a clothing allowance. You have to wear SOMETHING to work. Why should your boss pay for your clothes?

Yes, starting life as a professional means investing in a wardrobe. That's always been the case, nothing new.

Most kids I know request an "interview suit" as a graduation present.

I almost guarantee just about every company has a dress code. Try showing up for work in ripped up shorts and a T-shirt with cuss words on it.

Also, haven't you been working at the same company for years? So how would you know whether companies still have dress codes or not? Or do you routinely ask people what their company's dress code is?

I've never seen, or heard of, any company that had no dress code at all.

That's why you rarely see employees in a work environment wearing flip-flops, fishnet tank-tops or bikinis.

I'm actually not sure if we have a dress code. I wear flip-flops every day to work and shorts/t-shirts are quite common. I've seen some of the women wearing tank tops though never fishnet ;)

Maybe it would be an issue if somebody wore a shirt with inappropriate language and somebody complained?

I do know that for certain events or meetings memos will include to please wear business casual. That's when I wear my fancy flip-flops lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter