Welcome To The Real World, Kiddies

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
A coddled college student wants a more relaxed dress code at the company where he's an intern. He gathers up the other interns and they submit a proposal and then a petition to management to request (or demand) change. :eek:

The company gives them the boot. :rotfl2:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/...-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

I spoke with my manager about being allowed some leeway under the dress code and was told this was not possible, despite the other person being allowed to do it. I soon found out that many of the other interns felt the same way, and the ones who asked their managers about it were told the same thing as me. We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

_-------------------------------------

I hope they learned a valuable lesson, but I have my doubts.

It's pretty brazen to rile up the troops and get a petition going when you are an intern with a company. An internship is an opportunity to learn the business and make connections in the real world. It seems this group was taught quite a lesson, hopefully it sunk in. But I am sure it will more likely have them seeking a lawyer to sue for unlawful termination, or something like that.

I love this part...

The worst part is that just before the meeting ended, one of the managers told us that the worker who was allowed to disobey the dress code was a former soldier who lost her leg and was therefore given permission to wear whatever kind of shoes she could walk in. You can’t even tell, and if we had known about this we would have factored it into our argument.

I don't know that I would have fired them, but I wouldn't argue against it.

A coddled college student wants a more relaxed dress code at the company where he's an intern. He gathers up the other interns and they submit a proposal and then a petition to management to request (or demand) change. :eek:

http://www.askamanager.org/2016/06/...-proposal-for-a-more-flexible-dress-code.html

I spoke with my manager about being allowed some leeway under the dress code and was told this was not possible, despite the other person being allowed to do it. I soon found out that many of the other interns felt the same way, and the ones who asked their managers about it were told the same thing as me. We decided to write a proposal stating why we should be allowed someone leeway under the dress code. We accompanied the proposal with a petition, signed by all of the interns (except for one who declined to sign it) and gave it to our managers to consider. Our proposal requested that we also be allowed to wear running shoes and non leather flats, as well as sandals (not flip-flops though) and other non-dress shoes that would fit under a more business casual dress code. It was mostly about the footwear, but we also incorporated a request that we not have to wear suits and/or blazers in favor of a more casual, but still professional dress code.

They learned the boss was a jerk who is such an egomaniacal tyrant, he'll fire anyone that even proposes anything.

This is what comes of allowing children to constantly argue with authority figures (and not over important issues, but just over every minor thing that displeases the child). They keep the habit into adulthood, and what do you know? Unlike their parents and teachers, their bosses at work don't have to keep such complainers around.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and welcome to the real world kiddies. You know. the world that that selfish generations before you totally wrecked. They ran up the debt. You get the bill. They polluted the planet. You get stuck with the clean up. Stinks to be you kiddies.

Oh yeah and welcome to the real world kiddies. You know. the world that that selfish generations before you totally wrecked. They ran up the debt. You get the bill. They polluted the planet. You get stuck with the clean up. Stinks to be you kiddies.
Right. Because we all know that young people don't cause pollution or go into debt.

Thanks for a good read.

I love the use of "running shoes" as opposed to "sneakers"-- makes it sound so much more professional, don't you think??

And I'm guessing that no one ever discussed the difference between "intern" and "CEO??"

Rule #1 when you start any job-- don't assume that you know more than the people who have been doing it successfully forever. Do it their way for a year, and then start to think about how it can be done better.

They learned the boss was a jerk who is such an egomaniacal tyrant, he'll fire anyone that even proposes anything.
Nope. They should have learned (but probably didn't) that the new kids don't get to make the rules. Or change the rules. Or even question the rules. They were INTERNS. Their job was to fit into and learn about that business. It was NOT to change company policy. They had a great opportunity. They squandered it quibbling over a dress code of all things. I hope this prepared them for when they graduate. Go into a job with your eyes open and your mouth shut.

I just started a new job and the boss told us business casual, where there are a few others that have been there awhile that have a more relaxed idea of business casual and one guy who seems to be the golden boy who wears everything from basketball shorts, a doo rag and pajama pants etc. One of the young guys I trained with decided to wear shorts and the boss was not happy. Young guy was furious but hey boss's business, boss's rules. That is how the world works

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter