Weight Watchers Chat -- Part III

The third check-box is interesting, suggesting that a temporary maintenance period should follow the 10% loss mark. I have often hit a plateau right around that mark and become frustrated. Perhaps it is normal and should be anticipated. Also it gives "maintenance practice" which is something I need. I have hit my goal weight many times, but obviously I have struggled maintaining.

That is really interesting! I've been in a slump since I hit my 10% last month. I gained a pound, then lost 1.5, then stayed the same, for a net loss of .5 over the last 3 weeks. Maybe it's a good thing!

Although, admittedly, my slump is my own fault. My activity level dropped a lot when the summer swim lessons ended, and I'm still eating every single point each week, and a few extras I'm sure. I wan't tracking my activity from my job all summer because I didn't know how to count it. That gave me the wiggle room to be less stringent about tracking every single bit or for mistakes on estimating when I didn't know for sure what the points were.

But the pool has re-opend, so I will be more active again, now I just need to figure out how to fit two breakfasts into my points allowance!

My mom lives with us & did WW with me too! Sooooo much easier to have a buddy on the program. The best part though is that dd has seen us both learn & maintain healthier habits, so I don't think she'll have the same weight struggles that I've had. Plus it feels good when she tells me she's proud of me, but loves me no matter what. :)

My dd doesn't live with us. She is 30 and has four kids (oh, and a husband too, lol). She and I lost our baby weight together -- I waited thirty years to do it, she only waited four. Her kids are so into WW stuff -- her son (8) looked in my fridge the other day and said, "Well, I guess that's the Points yogurt and not kid yogurt, right?" If I eat something when I'm babysitting, one of them will say, "Grammie, how many points is that?" Her kids devour fruit, which is a good thing!

My DD11 asks about point values too! Thankfully she's never been much into junk food. She loves snacking on apples, yogurt, and other healthy snacks.

Hubby, on the other hand, snacks all the time and rarely gains weight. He has a great metabolism. Plus Crohns disease but he works hard to keep that under control.

I think the best thing my son is learning is simply *portion sizes*. He doesn't need to worry about this now, but someday his activity level will slow down and his growth upwards will stop, and he'll have to start watching himself. And just the basic "what is a portion of pasta" will serve him well, I think.

Since we don't tend to have stuff on hand that he can't eat (for us it's been almost 100% about portion control), it's not usually* his food and our food, so it's something he sees ALL the time.

My mom made incredibly nutritious meals as often as she could, but we just took whatever we wanted, without any thought to a portion. And that's been the absolute biggest thing for my success with WW, just figuring out what a serving is.

*except for the few WW brand things we get (or my occasional Smart One or Lean Cuisine)...the ingredients in those aren't things we want him eating, so he knows those are our foods

You guys are all awesome!!!!! What great posts. I am sorry to say I have strayed ...by about 18lbs :(. I still go to meetings but still sabotage myself.

bumbershoot - rock on!!!!!

PWdebbie- you are such an inspiration!

Have a great day everybody.

You guys are all awesome!!!!! What great posts. I am sorry to say I have strayed ...by about 18lbs :(. I still go to meetings but still sabotage myself.

I struggle with the self sabotage every single Tuesday...weigh in day is Wednesday. It NEVER fails that on Tuesday I have an intense craving for salty, not good for you food. Yes, nothing is OFF limits, we just have to count it, etc. But seriously...why on Tuesdays??? I've really got to get myself back in check. I'm losing very slowly and I know why. But I'll get there.

Just jump back in! You'll turn it around!

I did this same thing last year, unfortunately it went way further than 18lbs. For me, if my head isn't in the game it just isn't going to make any difference if I go to meetings, track, or anything. I got to feeling so bad I finally gave myself a "vacation from guilt", even officially quit for 2 months. Now I am back, slate wiped clean and am moving in the right direction again. It was hard to give up seeing the weight loss on the tracker that I had not gained back, but every time I saw the gain it just defalted my efforts. Silly to think that seeing the line on the tracker had that much impact, but it did! So happy to be back in heathly habits, hope you find your turn around soon. :drive::drive:

I am going to start WW TODAY. I found a good friend and we are going tonight to weigh in. I know WW works...worked for me. BUT when you think you are eating a portion without measuring it, know how many calories (points) going into your body without tracking it you can be sadly wrong and 15 pounds in a year later (about 25 from goal) can be a shocker. I am ready for this---won't be easy but will do the 10% at a time....

I know 18 hurts, but you can do it!

Have you ever brought up the sabotage in a meeting? For some reason our meeting gets very touchy feely, very talky, and that sort of thing resonates with a LOT of people. You might get a lot of good responses if you brought it up; be sure to allow yourself time to stick around after, because you might get people coming up to you after the meeting. At least that happens at the meeting we usually attend.

There's SO much mental and emotional stuff involved in gaining then losing weight. I remember the first time I did WW, and I went on an extended work trip. I was eating differently and it was so hot (I was in WV for the summer) and I dropped a bunch of weight. Suddenly you couldn't really tell I had extra poundage if you saw me sitting in my car. And the day after I realized that, some dude started following me in his car, being very creepy as I drove the back roads to work in Huntington. SCARY. Thankfully my workplace was just over the police station, so when I pulled off there he sped off. But it nearly knocked me out of WW, because I felt that "if this is what happens when I lose weight, I don't want that".

And this time through got weird, mentally, for me when I started getting looks from men instead of being ignored. It was really the first time that had happened since I got married, and I was at a loss as to what to do! Thankfully no creepers this time. Whew.

I struggle with the self sabotage every single Tuesday...weigh in day is Wednesday. It NEVER fails that on Tuesday I have an intense craving for salty, not good for you food. Yes, nothing is OFF limits, we just have to count it, etc. But seriously...why on Tuesdays??? I've really got to get myself back in check. I'm losing very slowly and I know why. But I'll get there.

Just jump back in! You'll turn it around!

Well, if you ate the same salty "bad" foods every Tuesday, your body would get used to it and you should still be able to see the losses through that. Maybe allow it to happen?

...says the person that used to eat nothing but dry cereal on Friday nights with a Saturday weigh in... :scared: (I stopped that...I eat normally now on Fridays)

I am going to start WW TODAY. I found a good friend and we are going tonight to weigh in.

Woohoo! And an evening weighin keeps you from doing silly things like not eating before a WI, etc. Excellent choice. Wish I'd done that!

Best thing to get at the beginning is a good food scale! I bought the OXO one with a detachable face and a high weight limit on it, so I can put my big heavy Fiestaware plates on it, still see the weight, and it won't error out. I weigh almost everything. Not fruits or veggies, and I still measure my half and half, sugar, and oils. Pretty much everything else is weighed; put my salad on the plate, plate on the scale, weigh out my dressing. etc etc.

Last night's weigh in brought a welcome surprise for me!! 2.6lbs gone!! 2.6!! I was so excited - and surprised! I even asked to get off the scale and get back on to be sure. LOL That's a total of 15.2 gone and that's amazing to me. Today I'm even wearing jeans to work that were too tight a month ago.

Last night's weigh in brought a welcome surprise for me!! 2.6lbs gone!! 2.6!! I was so excited - and surprised! I even asked to get off the scale and get back on to be sure. LOL That's a total of 15.2 gone and that's amazing to me. Today I'm even wearing jeans to work that were too tight a month ago.

whoooot! That is so great. I have weigh-in today. I didn't have the best day yesterday so not counting on a great weigh-in. Will report back after.

Welcome zootycoon!

I need some advice. I am great at my tracking during the day, but once I get home at night it is a free for all. I forget to track and even when I do I just eat everything in sight and then don't track the extra food. I need some help!:sad2:

Hi all. My name is Lynne. I've done WW off and on over the years...have been fairly successful but have never gotten to goal. Somewhere along the line, I just seem to get tired of it all.

So, I just took the plunge and signed up for WW Online this a.m. I am planning a Disney trip for next June. We went last June on our first family trip, had a great time, but my feet were crying by the last night from all of the weight I'm carrying around.

I could really use some motivational support along this journey. The agreement I made with my husband was that if I signed up, I had to go to the gym with him in the morning. Okay, I can do that. So, he's supportive, but he's got some really weird food habits. He won't eat dinner with the family at night, and consequently, the kids are getting into some bad habits as well. I would like to turn that around for all of us.

Also, I turn 50 in one year...I sure would like to run a 5K before I turn 50.

To get to my ideal weight, I would really need to lose 100 lbs. But, I'm not even going to look at that number. Too overwhelming, and I would be happy right now with a 5 lb. loss in a month. So, I'm just taking baby steps...

Anyway, I'm just looking for some motivation, support, etc. It's hard when you don't necessarily have a buddy doing it with you.

Thanks.

I need some advice. I am great at my tracking during the day, but once I get home at night it is a free for all. I forget to track and even when I do I just eat everything in sight and then don't track the extra food. I need some help!:sad2:

So...a couple of questions:

1. Are you hungry at night and that's why you are eating everything in sight?
2. What do you use to track?

Lynne

Hi all. My name is Lynne. I've done WW off and on over the years...have been fairly successful but have never gotten to goal. Somewhere along the line, I just seem to get tired of it all.

So, I just took the plunge and signed up for WW Online this a.m. I am planning a Disney trip for next June. We went last June on our first family trip, had a great time, but my feet were crying by the last night from all of the weight I'm carrying around.

I could really use some motivational support along this journey. The agreement I made with my husband was that if I signed up, I had to go to the gym with him in the morning. Okay, I can do that. So, he's supportive, but he's got some really weird food habits. He won't eat dinner with the family at night, and consequently, the kids are getting into some bad habits as well. I would like to turn that around for all of us.

Also, I turn 50 in one year...I sure would like to run a 5K before I turn 50.

To get to my ideal weight, I would really need to lose 100 lbs. But, I'm not even going to look at that number. Too overwhelming, and I would be happy right now with a 5 lb. loss in a month. So, I'm just taking baby steps...

Anyway, I'm just looking for some motivation, support, etc. It's hard when you don't necessarily have a buddy doing it with you.

Thanks.

Welcome! Like you I have been on and off WW for years. Back in 1999 I lost 60 pounds, kept it off for four years and then it all came back one. I have been on and off with WW ever since. I just rejoined two weeks ago.

You have some great goals! Good luck!

So...a couple of questions:

1. Are you hungry at night and that's why you are eating everything in sight?
2. What do you use to track?

Lynne

No, I could go without eating the extra food. I am just really unhappy right now and when I get down in the dumps I eat.

I have been using my cell phone and the WW app to track.

Andrea

Went to my first meeting last night...the number was bad. I have about 30 pounds to lose before I will be at a goal I am happy with.
Today I went to the grocery- lots of fruits and good choices. Came home and put the points value on things so if I want I know how many before---
I have planned out todays menu.

I do have a food scale and measuring cups----know that is a key thing. We might think we know portions but our view and the actual amount (in my case especially) are two different things.

Hope everyone has a good day staying on track and tracking! :)

Are you eating enough during the day? And are you eating foods that satisfy you?

I tend to hoard my points during the day for dinner at night. BUT, that also backfires if I'm not careful to eat good, satisfying foods during the day. I'm getting much better about it, but I have to really make myself see that 5 points for breakfast is FINE! I get 34 points a day for heaven's sake! I'm not going to starve if I don't have 17 points for my dinner. Sheesh

I find that I sometimes need to have a little something before I leave work. I get off at 330pm. We tend to eat dinner around 530-6 depending on what's going on, so that's a bit of time. I try NOT to be really hungry when I get home b/c then I want to snack and pick until I have dinner ready.

AND TRACK EVERY BITE! I know it's easy to "forget" because I have conveniently not tracked things...and it comes back to bite me at weigh in. :) Seeing exactly what that snack means in terms of my points sometimes gives me the reality check I needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter