Weather in August

Fiona1973

Earning My Ears
I have to take my holidays in August, and I know that it is the start of the Hurricane Season, so for those who have been before does it rain a lot during this month, lots of thunderstorms etc?
The price is cheaper the last two weeks of August, but will the weather turn and ruin the holiday?
Many thanks

It is very hot and extremely humid. There are thunderstorms (usually mid to late afternoon) but they pass quite quickly. Nobody can predict what the weather will do. The last couple of years we have been in August and we have had a lot of rain (including two days where it rained all day long) but previous years we have only had occasional showers which pass quickly and dry up quickly.

We go every 2 years in August and in recent years we have had the odd rainy day which becomes the "shopping day".
The rest of the time you can expect a thunderstorm around 4pm almost every day. It passes very quickly and then the sun returns. Quite freaky compared to storms over here.
The torrential downpour just adds to the fun....you are probably wet from rides anyway... And they also clear out the parks and reduce wait times.

I'm about to go August for the first time too! (13th - 24th) so back end of the month. This has proved super useful.

I've only been to WDW in May where it wasn't unbearably hot. At least I know what I'm in for.

We go every other year in August. It's VERY HOT AND HUMID. Being from Massachusetts we get random heat waves so I thought we'd be fine. It's the humidity. It's very doable thought. There is AC blowing out of all buildings. THe worst part is probably just walking to the bus/car.

We've been every year in August for about 15 years and have experienced a wide variety of weather - the only consistency is hot....hot.......and hot!

We've had days of constant rain, days with a torrential downpour which does slightly cool the temperature and days without any rain at all. We've been there through a hurricane together with a a couple of tropical storms. It really doesn't make a difference - you'll still have a great time.

We did our first August trip last year (usually go in Sep/Oct) and were a bit worried beforehand re the heat and humidity but actually loved it. Just plan your days well-we tended to go to the parks earlier have a late lunch in the parks then spend the afternoons by the pool. In fact it was prob the most relaxing trip we've ever had! Have fun :wave2:

hotter and more humid than you thought possible...
on the other hand, we went every year in august for about 30 years.....
and that's when we'll be going next year.....so.....if that's when you can go, that's when you can go.....
you'll still be in the happiest place on earth :)

I love it , it's hot and sweaty but I don't find it uncomfortable.

The freak storms make great viewing we were on boat to my from transport centre and managed to catch some great lightning pics

I've done 8 August trips. Hot. Humid. Expect it to rain daily for a couple of hours anything better is a bonus. We had a tropical storm once. 5 days solid rain and parks closed for 2 days. I won't lie. That wasn't the best trip.

We've been in August a number of times - and will be going next year in August.

I won't lie it's not my favourite time to go, I find the parks unbearably hot but we choose to go as it's really the only time we can go for over 14 days due to school holidays and because of the time we have we don't spend more than 1/2 day at a time in them.

One year we went and other than a thunderstorm on our first day we did not have a spot of rain but on the flip side we were also there during a tropical storm where it didn't stop raining for over a week. It really isn't something you can predict. What I can say is we always have a great time whatever the weather.

We're both teachers, and all 3 kids are students, so we only go in July or August.

It's hot hazy and humid. But the days are endless; the parks open early and stay open late. So we drink LOTS of water (we have 2 cases delivered to our resort). We get to the parks at rope drop, tour like crazy until lunch, then head back to the resort pool until dinner. We return refreshed and ready for touring that's a bit more leisurely than in the less crowded mornings.

As far as the weather goes: we always bring a supply of disposable ponchos. Some years we use them, some years we don't.

Should a hurricane appear, WDW is probably one of the safest places to be. It's inland, not near the coast, so storm surge isn't an issue. We were there the day Tropical STorm Faye was due to hit Orlando. It was the best touring day EVER! The parks opened early to on site guests, and there was no one there. We threw on our ponchos and got there for rope drop, and pretty much had the Magic Kingdom to ourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter