• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We have both kinds of music: country AND western...

So I have been listening to more country music lately as my wife loves it. I just never was exposed to it, but I'm really liking it so I'm building a Spotify playlist. Those of you who like country, what are my "must haves" on the playlist?

PS Bonus points for anyone who can name the movie quote above without googling it...
Grippenfuer, Grippenfeur, get that license plate number, we're going to kill that______________________________

We are now planning a trip to Nashville where I will learn to line dance. I may even buy the appropriate hat.
Nashville is awesome, you will have a blast. We can’t do more than 4 days or so though before it’s time to head home to dry out

Thanks for all of your suggestions! This is great!
Nashville is awesome, you will have a blast. We can’t do more than 4 days or so though before it’s time to head home to dry out
I want to try line dancing. And buy a hat. That’s good to know.

So I have been listening to more country music lately as my wife loves it. I just never was exposed to it, but I'm really liking it so I'm building a Spotify playlist. Those of you who like country, what are my "must haves" on the playlist?

PS Bonus points for anyone who can name the movie quote above without googling it...
Jason Aldean even though some want to censor him
Luke Bryan
FGL (kinda crossover)
Miranda Lambert
Anything Hank Sr/Jr (III is not my thing)
Waylon/Willie
Chis Johnson
Zac Brown
Johnny Cash
Toby Keith
Charlie Daniels
Walker Hayes

Pistol Annies
Chris Stapleton
Rascal Flatts
Darius Rucker (hootie and the blowfish might be how you would know him)
Dolly Parton
All of the generations is the Aiken’s
Jeannie C Riley
Red Sovine if you want some old storytelling
Blake Shelton (Ol Red, Austin and all of Based on a True Story)
Brad Paisley (someone mentioned Allison Kraus - you want a sad one listen to their Whiskey Lullaby)

In terms of learning how to line dance, find a good hang out old neighborhood bar in your area, the people are likely kind and willing to teach you before you go to Nashville. Ours is great! We have all walks of life in ours. It actual reminds me of Toby Keiths’s song Drunk Americans. I think it is a good message of how we are all just people with the end of day struggles.

Thank you all for your suggestions. this is what I have in my playlist so far:

Dolly Parton
Kenny Roger
Big and Rich
Jessica Andrews (yes a one hit wonder, but "who I am" is adorable)
Trini Triggs (another one hit wonder)
George Strait
LeAnne Rimes
Alan Jackson
Tracy Byrd
Brooks and Dunn
Dixie Chicks aka the Chicks
Billy Ray Cyrus
Tim McGraw
Trisha Yearwood
Taylor Swift (of course)

I am a big mainstream country fan. 90's to current. But tend to favor those under represented artists vs the huge mega superstars.

Brett Young
Mitchell Tenpenny
Maddie & Tae
Chris Young
Lee Brice
Carly Pearce

Dolly Parton
Kenny Roger
Big and Rich
George Strait
LeAnne Rimes
Alan Jackson
Tracy Byrd
Brooks and Dunn
Billy Ray Cyrus
Tim McGraw
Trisha Yearwood
Taylor Swift (of course)
I’d reach back a bit further but can’t argue with what yo have

1. Here's one I haven't seen suggested that I like: many heard them for the 1st time featured on the popular TV series Yellowstone: Shane Smith and the Saints. Check 'em out.
  2. Agreed on eric church - a little rock 'n roll attitude served up with his country.
  3. Chris Stapleton's voice is breathtaking - heavy on the blues feel. His rendition of the national anthem gave me goosebumps. Whether you like country or not, the man can sing the dictionary and make it compelling.
Many people who have never listened to the genre wrongly assume all country music is the same. I think what surprises people if they have an open mind and really start to explore it is how many different flavors there are, depending upon the artist. The influences include classic bluegrass. '70s-90s rock. Sizzling old school R& B. And contemporary hip hop.

It's really quite remarkable.

Last edited:

Dolly Parton
Kenny Roger
Big and Rich
George Strait
LeAnne Rimes
Alan Jackson
Tracy Byrd
Brooks and Dunn
Billy Ray Cyrus
Tim McGraw
Trisha Yearwood
Taylor Swift (of course)
Very good list. I'd add this, as it's one of my favorite country songs:

Very good list. I'd add this, as it's one of my favorite country songs:

He was a lot of fun in concert! :thumbsup2

My all time favorite is Dierks Bentley. His song and album Up on the Ridge is very much bluegrass which is kind of fun but I like 'em all!

Last edited:
I can’t believe I forgot to mention Old Dominion. With any luck I’ll see them in concert in June. Depends if there are any single day reserved seat tickets for the music fest they will be at. Not interested in the 3 days. Just the day they’ll be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter