We Ditched The Kids! - UPDATE (7/22 - NYC trip)

Sorry I have been scarce on the boards this week. It's been an incredibly busy week and I haven't had much time to work on an update here or catch up on your TR's. So I apologize for being so far behind! I'll do my best to catch up if/when things slow down.

The big reason for my absence is: I finally got a promotion! Those of you who have been talking with me through the years know how long I've been trying to get over that particular hump. So this is a very exciting time and the first raise I've gotten in 8 years. We may or may not have visited my favorite steak house when we got the news. The only downside is that it means the end of my long-running gag of comparing the interview process to Morgan Freeman's visits to the parole board in The Shawshank Redemption.

I'll start the new job (not only is it a raise, but the work location is 10 minutes from my house) at the beginning of May. In the meantime, I need to try and get things wrapped up in a good place in my current position. It's very possible that my DIS time could drastically decrease with the new position, so I don't know what that will mean for the future of TR's. But hopefully it will all work out.

That's AMAZING!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I know how long you've waited for this, so I'm very happy for all of you.

Oddly enough I think the phone still does a better job with the fireworks photos. Good thing we spent all this money on the fancy camera and lenses.

I have found that to always be the case. Which is why my last trip, I just opted to carry my phone and not take a camera at all.

I have a toddler. I have no idea.

I remember those days.... weeks... months... years...

I seem to be in the habit lately of posting chapters on my kids' birthdays. Today is Scotty's 10th birthday--or as we like to think of it, the 10th Anniversary of When Scotty Happened!

Happy Birthday Scotty!

We were there with thousands of our closest friends, and more arriving by the minute.

You have way more friends than I do.

We had not yet had a Dole Whip on this trip.

This needs to be fixed, stat!

That needed to be fixed, pronto.

That's what I said!

Julie was so anxious she couldn’t even wait for the obligatory photo before diving in.

I don't blame her. Not one little bit.

IMG_1669.JPG

Oh. My. God.

You know you're thinking it:

drooling_homer-712749_gif.png.jpg

Oh, yes.

It’s A Small World…ok, I’ll be honest, I didn’t even look.

Faith restored.

We could not find a single ride, even the lowlights, that didn’t have at least a 30-minute wait. At least it was a nice day.

IMG_1670.JPG

It does look like it.
Nice pic, too.

I knew that Julie wanted to experience Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at night

I have yet to do that.
High on my list, too.

And since having an evening FP+ meant we wouldn’t be able to grab any more throughout the day, I’d gone ahead and made a reservation for the Wishes viewing area so I wouldn’t have to stake out a spot for over an hour.

Ah. Heard of that. I like the idea.

And so, on a crowded day, the FP+ system feels more like you’re being told, “Just pick the three rides you want to do today, and please spend the rest of the time in the gift shops.”

Interesting observation.

The best strategy is, of course, to get there at park opening, and I don’t think that will ever change.

Agreed.
And maybe that's why I don't agree with you about the FP+.
I make FPs for stuff, but by the time I get to them, I've already done all the rides I want to do.

So I think in the future, we’ll arrive at park opening and reserve FP’s for the big rides in the afternoon.

::yes::

A look at the wait time revealed that the standby wait was 100 minutes

Frankly, that's just insane.

Heigh-ho,
Heigh-ho,
It's off to work we--wait, it's over already? Didn't we just get on?

:laughing: It is a tad on the short side, isn't it?

It’s a fun little ride. I’d look at it as a nice little warm-up ride.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

Then again, I wouldn’t have been happy to wait 100 minutes for just about anything.

Ditto.

Even the Peoplemover line was backed up down the block.

Seriously? Even that?

Wow.

We had recently seen Tomorrowland, the movie

I don't remember... did I ask you about that?
What'd you think of it?

We took one more look around Tomorrowland and found that the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor had a 20-minute wait. That was acceptable. So we got in line.

20 minutes is okay.

I like that show a lot. Probably because I’m a Dad, and therefore the humor is right in line with my own

Along the way out, we ran into the tail end of the Parade That Everyone Patiently Sits Through Even Though They Just Want To See The Fire-Breathing Dragon Float.

Must disagree with you on that.
I love that parade... and I'm not a parade lover.

Yes, you can blame operator error. I know you’re just itching to do that.

Way to go, dumbbell!

That was satisfying.

After another wait (I really should have sprung for that Express Bus Pass),

It really is worth it.

Then we walked about 3 miles back to the Yacht Club.

:rolleyes:

We were eating at the Yachtsman Steakhouse.

Are you kidding?
I follow very few TRs (I can barely keep up as it is!) and one other that I just commented on earlier this evening also had them going there.

I, on the other hand, will go far, far out of my way for a good steak.

I would do the same... but for a good burger, more than a good steak.
Love me a good steak, though.

Marge: What do you want me to pick up for dinner tonight:

Homer: Steak.

Marge: Money’s too tight for steak.

Homer: Steak.

:laughing:

Anyway, we took about 22 seconds to go back out and sit on a bench before the pager went off

They were probably waiting for you to sit.
"Can I turn it on yet?"
"Not yet! They're not sitting yet!"
"Now?"
"No. Give them three more seconds so they don't suspect anything."

Beautiful.

Beautiful.

Meh.

(Food looks good, though.)

Our server was a nice older Hispanic man named Oscar, who was just wonderful company throughout the evening. He seemed pleased that we were willing to talk with him and took his time with us, sharing stories of his family. Just a great guy, and he made the evening very pleasant.

Nice!

“She decides how much you get,” he announced. Thanks, Oscar. Tell me something I don’t already know.

:lmao:
The lament of every husband, everywhere.

That looks good... and cool!

The Yacht Club had a cool winter train set in the lobby.

Who doesn't love a model train set? :confused3

She’d already spent 5 hours with me, so that was well above and beyond the call of duty.

No kidding! That's amazing that she could even spend that much time with you!
Was she miming shooting herself by any chance?

Oh! Just re-read that.
I thought you said 5 minutes.

Not to be outdone, the Beach Club lobby featured a rotating gingerbread carousel.

Wow. Seriously.

It just so happened that the castle lighting ceremony took place while we were riding along.

Nice perk!

The Peoplemover is classic Disney for me.
I’ve loved it since I was a kid, and even though it’s doesn’t offer any thrills, there’s something about it that makes it a must-do for me.

I get that.
Not with the Peoplemover. I didn't ride it until much later in life.
But that's the way I feel about HM and PP.

Past the Tangled Tinkle Spot. We paid our respects to Rapunzel here by…well, never mind.

Waving?

Nevermind what you might have waved.

get the glowy-swirly light-up thingy to turn green

That is indeed the technical term.

She loved it! It really is great at night.

Great!
And totally jealous, too!

We walked back towards Fantasyland. Once again, it was hard to find any rides that didn’t have a long wait. But we finally stumbled onto the Little Mermaid ride in the back of New Fantasyland, with a 15-minute wait time posted. As it turned out, there wasn’t a soul in line. So we figured we might as well jump in and cross that one off the list.

That ride's popularity was grossly over estimated.

After that, we decided to head for the Wishes viewing area. At the time, this was still available for FP+ reservations

It's not anymore??

But with only 2 minutes or so until the show started, the late-comers started pouring in. And they just filled in wherever, and then remained standing.

Oh, crap.
Although I'm not really surprised.

None of the CM’s made a move.

Didn't think so.
They rarely do.

Oddly enough I think the phone still does a better job with the fireworks photos.

I agree with you.

Make a note of that.
It's not likely to happen again.

I couldn’t imagine what would possess them to think it would be fine and dandy to fire a flash repeatedly into the eyes of everyone watching the show, but I wanted to take the lady’s camera and drop it from the highest turret on the castle.

:sad2:
But then again. They paid a lot of money to be there, so...

Hopefully their photos turned out with a family staring at the fireworks in awe while everyone in the background is either giving them a murderous stare or holding their hands up in front of their eyes in agony.

Perhaps with an accompanying one finger salute? No?
Darn.

We spent a good amount of time making sure the Emporium wouldn’t go out of business this year

Yay! Thanks for keeping it there for the rest of us!

as we tried to buy our way back into our children’s hearts.

Never work.
That's a slippery slope that you can never escape.

I didn’t get a photo, but I’m pretty sure I saw smoke coming from the credit card reader as the CM swiped my card.

Cool!

:rolleyes1

There might have been a small yelp of pain as well. But I did get a new Mickey tie, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

I'm just joining in! I love to read adults only trips since we don't have kids yet (and I already plan on going at least once sometime without my future ones, is that bad?) Hah, but seriously, love the report so far.

Thanks for the Keys report.... I have been wanting to do it forever myself but it has never worked out.

Can't wait to read the rest!

LIFE UPDATE:

Sorry I have been scarce on the boards this week. It's been an incredibly busy week and I haven't had much time to work on an update here or catch up on your TR's. So I apologize for being so far behind! I'll do my best to catch up if/when things slow down.

The big reason for my absence is: I finally got a promotion! Those of you who have been talking with me through the years know how long I've been trying to get over that particular hump. So this is a very exciting time and the first raise I've gotten in 8 years. We may or may not have visited my favorite steak house when we got the news. The only downside is that it means the end of my long-running gag of comparing the interview process to Morgan Freeman's visits to the parole board in The Shawshank Redemption.

I'll start the new job (not only is it a raise, but the work location is 10 minutes from my house) at the beginning of May. In the meantime, I need to try and get things wrapped up in a good place in my current position. It's very possible that my DIS time could drastically decrease with the new position, so I don't know what that will mean for the future of TR's. But hopefully it will all work out.

In the meantime, I promise I'll try and catch up here and on your TR's as soon as I can!

Hey that's amazing, congratulations! Got a raise AND saving on gas money?! Major thumbs up. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Wishing you an easy transition.

I've only recently had the Dole Whip Float (only ever gotten just plain Dole Whips) and holy calrissian these are 100 times better!!! I've been missing out for years :sad2:

It was here that we started to see the downside of the FP+ system. Yes, it’s convenient to know that you’ll definitely be getting on the headliners and won’t have to rush to get there. But the system has performed as Disney intended—it spread people throughout the parks to the other attractions. And so, on a crowded day, the FP+ system feels more like you’re being told, “Just pick the three rides you want to do today, and please spend the rest of the time in the gift shops.”

Yep, there are some major advantages and unfortunately disadvantages to the system. But looks like we're stuck with this, especially now that they FINALLY added the option of adding more FP's on the app than getting in line. Also, I truly wonder if obesity numbers will rise now that people aren't dashing all over the park collecting paper FP's:scratchin

Ok, that's an over-exaggeration. It’s a fun little ride. I’d look at it as a nice little warm-up ride. But it’s extremely short, and if I’d had to wait 100 minutes for that? I definitely would not have been happy.

:laughing:That is pretty much exactly what I told DH when we got off in 2015. The wait was 120 minutes and I told her there was no way i'd even wait 45. It's cute, but not worth that type of wait.

I like that show a lot. Probably because I’m a Dad, and therefore the humor is right in line with my own. This time, I actually got on screen, but it was just as something generic like “Just happy to be here” or something like that. Being “That Guy” remains on the Bucket List.

This is on my bucket list for DH! I'm sure he'd be a riot if he got chosen!

I, on the other hand, will go far, far out of my way for a good steak.

You're not kidding, totally empty back there.

“She decides how much you get,” he announced. Thanks, Oscar. Tell me something I don’t already know.

I need Oscar to come with me to every restaurant from now on.

Same, I grew up riding it at Disneyland. It's really such a shame that they got rid of it :sad2:

After that, we decided to head for the Wishes viewing area. At the time, this was still available for FP+ reservations, and I did like the idea of not having to fight for a piece of pavement an hour before the show started. We scanned our bands and wandered in.

I'm bummed that they got rid of this FP! Being able to show up a minute late and snag a decent spot was pretty awesome! But glad we were able to try it out.

Hopefully their photos turned out with a family staring at the fireworks in awe while everyone in the background is either giving them a murderous stare

Please tell me this was you. Drool and all..

5e8175aeb2129e91d403969534fe5491.jpg

Playing catch up again! I love WDW at Christmas! I'm glad you did KTTW...its a great tour! Yachtsman is great...I've had Oscar as my server before and he is great. I love that dessert too. :) Did you try the onion rolls? That gets my Homer drool award.

That's crazy that the CMs let the latecomers stand in your way for the fireworks. Even weirder was the photo session! Self-centered, entitled people. :(

Jill in CO

Happy Birthday Scotty!

He says, "Who are you?":confused3

Just kidding. Thanks!

:rotfl2: FP+ really screwed attractions like those up... :sad2:

I'd be happy if everyone else would just get in line for IASW. They can have that one.

::yes:: Pretty much.

I do have to list the caveat that on this day, the morning was unavailable to us. That definitely affected our experience.

I actually like to start hitting FP+ at the end of the first park hour. You saw first hand how desperately you need that revolving 4th FP. Get your 3 done and start using it ASAP!

Yeah, I can see that. The problem is that from what I can tell, by the time you're ready to use your 4th FP there will be nothing left on the big rides, and it doesn't seem to matter much when you finish using them. So is it better to swing for that 4th FP, or use the 3 FP's during the most crowded time so that you know you'll at least be able to do something during those hours.

I totally agree. Fun ride, but I wouldn't wait half that long for it.

That one is FP+, first thing in the morning, or bust!

Congratulations on finally hitting the big time! :thumbsup2

I'll try and remember all the little people I stepped on during the climb to the top.

::yes:: It is always the operator's fault. Assuming you're the operator.

Story of my life. Even when I wasn't the operator, it's still my fault.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'd just walk through BC, take a stroll down the boardwalk and go in the backside right there at the Yachtsman. :rolleyes1

Gee, thanks for the tip.

Awesome! I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

Mmmm...steak...

::yes:: Always a must do! I still don't think I've ever waited 15 minutes for it though.

That was one of the big indicators to me of how crowded it was that day.

Really? I had always heard that they advertised it as you could just sit and watch from there, but then the CM's usually made everyone stand. Either way, I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.

I didn't see anyone forced to stand. It would have been nice if those standing would have taken those behind them into account, though.

I hope you photobombed them with the finger. :rolleyes1

Too busy shielding my eyes!

I know exactly what you mean. We had a similar experience in Mouse Gears. When the CM gave us the total, my first thought was there is no way that's right. :rotfl:

That's WITH the 10% Disney Visa discount?

:faint:

Cool! I got one of those too. Which one did you get?

This one:

http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-icon-tie-for-men-rows/mp/1392191/1000299/

Hi Mark! I'm Alison:wave2:
I just read through your TR and I'm really enjoying it so far! It's nice you and your wife were able to experience a kidless trip. The POLY is a dream resort for me to stay at, so I loved seeing your pictures. I love all of your food pictures, everything looks great! I also think it is so cool you and your wife did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, that is definitely on my Disney bucket list!

Looking forward to reading more!:goodvibes

Hello Alison, and :welcome:

Thanks for joining in!

That's AMAZING!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I know how long you've waited for this, so I'm very happy for all of you.

Thank you very much! It was a great day when I finally got the news.

I have found that to always be the case. Which is why my last trip, I just opted to carry my phone and not take a camera at all.

I think we needed the tripod to make the good camera really sing with the fireworks photos.

Really enjoying this TR. Keep up the great work!

:welcome: aboard and thank you! Please, keep chiming in. Most of the fun is in the conversation!

I remember those days.... weeks... months... years...

:faint: I'm too old for this.

too-old.jpg

Happy Birthday Scotty!

Thank you!:goodvibes

You have way more friends than I do.

Yeah, until we all need a viewing spot for Wishes.

This needs to be fixed, stat!

That's what I said!

Great minds--oh wait, we already ruled that out, didn't we?

I don't blame her. Not one little bit.

Me neither.

Oh. My. God.

I knew it!

Faith restored.

No matter how crowded it is...there's got to be something better.

It does look like it.
Nice pic, too.

Thanks!

I have yet to do that.
High on my list, too.

Highly recommended!

Ah. Heard of that. I like the idea.

Well, it looks like we can't do that anymore. They removed Wishes from the FP+ lineup.

Interesting observation.

Agreed.
And maybe that's why I don't agree with you about the FP+.
I make FPs for stuff, but by the time I get to them, I've already done all the rides I want to do.

This definitely was affected by the fact that the tour took up the entire morning. It really limited what we could do the rest of the day. Maybe I should clarify the point to be that arriving early is now crucial under the new system.

Frankly, that's just insane.

Very few things are worth 100 minutes of your life.

:laughing: It is a tad on the short side, isn't it?

That's what sh--

Um...Yes. Yes, it is.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

I know you've already experienced this, but I think it's great as the first ride in the morning.

Seriously? Even that?

Wow.

Yeah, that really drove home how bad the crowds were becoming.

I don't remember... did I ask you about that?
What'd you think of it?

I think we did talk about it earlier. Basically, I thought the movie had a lot of really fun, cool, neat ideas in search of a coherent story to tie them together. The plot really didn't make much sense. But you could see the potential. Overall, it was ok. I would like to have spent more than 10 minutes in the actual Tomorrowland.

20 minutes is okay.

I'm usually good with anything less than 30. Figuring they're probably conservative with the number most of the time.

Must disagree with you on that.
I love that parade... and I'm not a parade lover.

Oh, I totally admit that I'm pre-judging the parade without actually having sat and watched it. I just am not willing to sit and give up my time for that long. And from afar, the dragon float is the only one that grabs my interest.

Way to go, dumbbell!

That was satisfying.

You're welcome.

It really is worth it.

Dang it! Next time.

Are you kidding?
I follow very few TRs (I can barely keep up as it is!) and one other that I just commented on earlier this evening also had them going there.

What are the odds?

I figured this was our only chance to try it. I'd wanted to find a good steak place at WDW. I used to love Le Cellier, but then they changed it to take 2 meals off the dining plan and changed the menu, so I haven't been there since.

I would do the same... but for a good burger, more than a good steak.
Love me a good steak, though.

I'm able to go to a lot more burger joints with my family than steak houses, so I really go for steak when I get the chance.

They were probably waiting for you to sit.
"Can I turn it on yet?"
"Not yet! They're not sitting yet!"
"Now?"
"No. Give them three more seconds so they don't suspect anything."

:sad2:

Beautiful.

Beautiful.

Meh.

(Food looks good, though.)

:rotfl2: Hey, I'll take a "meh". That's better than my usual rating.

The lament of every husband, everywhere.

Pretty much. "I'm full; let's share a dessert," becomes "I might give you a bite."

That looks good... and cool!

It was good! The "pretzel" was really, really thin, though.

Who doesn't love a model train set? :confused3

I have yet to find anyone who doesn't. Heck, I love any kind of train.

No kidding! That's amazing that she could even spend that much time with you!
Was she miming shooting herself by any chance?

Oh! Just re-read that.
I thought you said 5 minutes.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Is that what it was? I thought she had a hairball.

Wow. Seriously.

That was way cool.

Nice perk!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

I get that.
Not with the Peoplemover. I didn't ride it until much later in life.
But that's the way I feel about HM and PP.

Absolutely. It's a Disney thing.

Waving?

Nevermind what you might have waved.

I'm gonna just move right on here.

That is indeed the technical term.

I KNEW IT!

Great!
And totally jealous, too!

Better start planning the next trip!

That ride's popularity was grossly over estimated.

Yeah, seriously. Nice detail in the queue, though. But can you imagine if they'd used that space to make 7DMT longer? And had a rollercoaster going over people's heads as they walk on the path below? Now that would have been awesome.

It's not anymore??

Looked like it was a fairly recent announcement. No more fireworks FP's.

Oh, crap.
Although I'm not really surprised.

Yeah, that's just standard behavior.

Didn't think so.
They rarely do.

:furious:

I agree with you.

Make a note of that.
It's not likely to happen again.

Monday, 11:14 p.m. ET, November 11. Got it.

But then again. They paid a lot of money to be there, so...

Exactly. Who am I to complain?

Perhaps with an accompanying one finger salute? No?
Darn.

Too busy covering my eyes. It burns!

Yay! Thanks for keeping it there for the rest of us!

No problem. Just doing my civic duty. It was touch-and-go for a while, there.

Never work.
That's a slippery slope that you can never escape.

Great. I could have saved a lot of money.

No, it seemed very hot to be smoking like that.

I'm just joining in! I love to read adults only trips since we don't have kids yet (and I already plan on going at least once sometime without my future ones, is that bad?) Hah, but seriously, love the report so far.

Thanks for the Keys report.... I have been wanting to do it forever myself but it has never worked out.

Can't wait to read the rest!

:welcome: and thanks for reading!

Hope you get the chance to do the tour! It was definitely worth the time.

Wow, those are some serious crowds at MK. :sad2:

Yachtsman looks delicious!

The steak was much better than dealing with the crowds.

Hey that's amazing, congratulations! Got a raise AND saving on gas money?! Major thumbs up. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Wishing you an easy transition.

Thanks, Alicia!:goodvibes

I've only recently had the Dole Whip Float (only ever gotten just plain Dole Whips) and holy calrissian these are 100 times better!!! I've been missing out for years :sad2:

So good! Although I'm happy to get the plain Dole Whip, too.

Yep, there are some major advantages and unfortunately disadvantages to the system. But looks like we're stuck with this, especially now that they FINALLY added the option of adding more FP's on the app than getting in line. Also, I truly wonder if obesity numbers will rise now that people aren't dashing all over the park collecting paper FP's:scratchin

Yeah, it's certainly not going anywhere. This was my first experience with it, so it was interesting to see how different it was than using the paper FP system.

:laughing:That is pretty much exactly what I told DH when we got off in 2015. The wait was 120 minutes and I told her there was no way i'd even wait 45. It's cute, but not worth that type of wait.

This is on my bucket list for DH! I'm sure he'd be a riot if he got chosen!

That would be so cool! We just gotta keep trying.

You're not kidding, totally empty back there.

Is it? I keep getting distracted by the hot chick in front.

I need Oscar to come with me to every restaurant from now on.

That would make every restaurant better. Except for the husbands at dessert time.

Same, I grew up riding it at Disneyland. It's really such a shame that they got rid of it :sad2:

Sorry. But hey, they do have Indiana Jones. Or so I hear.

I'm bummed that they got rid of this FP! Being able to show up a minute late and snag a decent spot was pretty awesome! But glad we were able to try it out.

Yeah, it was nice not to have to stand in a spot for an hour. Most days I'd use the FP on a ride instead, but it was nice to have the option.

Please tell me this was you. Drool and all..

5e8175aeb2129e91d403969534fe5491-jpg.161781

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Oh man, how creepy is that?

Playing catch up again! I love WDW at Christmas! I'm glad you did KTTW...its a great tour! Yachtsman is great...I've had Oscar as my server before and he is great. I love that dessert too. :) Did you try the onion rolls? That gets my Homer drool award.

I don't think Julie let me have any.

That's crazy that the CMs let the latecomers stand in your way for the fireworks. Even weirder was the photo session! Self-centered, entitled people. :(

Pretty much. You just can't avoid them. I was surprised that Disney was enabling them, though.

Thanks Batman! I mean, Randall!

Yeah, I can see that. The problem is that from what I can tell, by the time you're ready to use your 4th FP there will be nothing left on the big rides, and it doesn't seem to matter much when you finish using them. So is it better to swing for that 4th FP, or use the 3 FP's during the most crowded time so that you know you'll at least be able to do something during those hours.
In my opinion, it depends on the park. I'd use your strategy of scheduling 3 FP+ for the peak times at every park not called Magic Kingdom, because there's really no value to a 4th FP in a park with about 7 attractions, half of which are going to be tier ones and you can only FP one of them anyway. And by the time you'd go for a 4th they're gone, so your hands are tied to doing them RD and saving FP+ for peak times.

In MK though, I always try to reserve FP+ in advance for the bigger attractions and still use them in the morning, if possible. Then around lunch time I can start using the 4th. You might not be able to get one for Space Mountain at 2pm, but you can ride a crap ton of middle tier rides (Buzz, Pirates, JC, HM) for the rest of the day with little to no wait. I've also had luck getting BTMRR with that 4th FP. I'll be interested to see how this changes though, now that you can get the 4th with the app. I love that change, but I could see someone using their 3 in EPCOT and grabbing a 4th in MK before they've entered the park (if the app even allows that :confused3 ). That could make the rolling 4th FP a little bit more tricky.

That one is FP+, first thing in the morning, or bust!

:thumbsup2 Couldn't find the one I got on there, but it is the same basic pattern, only it is kind of a silver with black Mickeys.

:faint: I'm too old for this.

too-old.jpg

Know what's wrong with that picture?
Not enough grey hair.
You get that too, with kids.

Yeah, until we all need a viewing spot for Wishes.

My, my. We've turned on our friends pretty quickly there.

Great minds--oh wait, we already ruled that out, didn't we?

Yep.
That's a no brainer.

Well, it looks like we can't do that anymore. They removed Wishes from the FP+ lineup.

So much for that idea.

Maybe I should clarify the point to be that arriving early is now crucial under the new system.

There ya go.

And... yes.

That's what sh--

Um...Yes. Yes, it is.

I know you've already experienced this, but I think it's great as the first ride in the morning.

I guess. That's what I did last time. Rode it with zero wait.
But I think I wouldn't be too upset if I skipped it entirely.

I think we did talk about it earlier. Basically, I thought the movie had a lot of really fun, cool, neat ideas in search of a coherent story to tie them together. The plot really didn't make much sense. But you could see the potential. Overall, it was ok. I would like to have spent more than 10 minutes in the actual Tomorrowland.

This all sounds familiar. Especially your last comment.

Oh, I totally admit that I'm pre-judging the parade without actually having sat and watched it. I just am not willing to sit and give up my time for that long. And from afar, the dragon float is the only one that grabs my interest.

See it and then tell me.
I always thought of their parades as either a great time to go on rides or as a traffic jamming device.
But I really enjoyed watching it when I decided to do that.

I figured this was our only chance to try it. I'd wanted to find a good steak place at WDW. I used to love Le Cellier, but then they changed it to take 2 meals off the dining plan and changed the menu, so I haven't been there since.

After trying the cheese soup that everyone raves about (meh) it's fallen off my radar.

I'm able to go to a lot more burger joints with my family than steak houses, so I really go for steak when I get the chance.

Good point.
When we go, we go to our favourite place. (maybe once or twice a year)
I always have trouble choosing between the filet mignon or the prime rib.
Both are out of this world.

:rotfl2: Hey, I'll take a "meh". That's better than my usual rating.

:laughing:

I have yet to find anyone who doesn't. Heck, I love any kind of train.

Is that what it was? I thought she had a hairball.

Yeah... that's what it was... sure.

I'm gonna just move right on here.

Probably wise.

Better start planning the next trip!

Well, actually... :rolleyes1

But can you imagine if they'd used that space to make 7DMT longer? And had a rollercoaster going over people's heads as they walk on the path below? Now that would have been awesome.

:eek: Where the heck were you when those imagineers were planning this thing?

Looked like it was a fairly recent announcement. No more fireworks FP's.

Okay, okay. Stop rubbing it in.

Monday, 11:14 p.m. ET, November 11. Got it.

I thought ET was at Universal?

Great. I could have saved a lot of money.

Yep.
You can have 60 seconds of guilt "You didn't get us anything?" or a lifetime of "Where's my new car?"

Chapter 5: Money’s Too Tight For Steak.

I seem to be in the habit lately of posting chapters on my kids' birthdays. Today is Scotty's 10th birthday--or as we like to think of it, the 10th Anniversary of When Scotty Happened!

Happy Belated Birthday Scotty!

Haunted Mansion…wait time 40 minutes. Thank goodness we’d already done that one on the tour. Peter Pan…50 minutes. It’s A Small World…ok, I’ll be honest, I didn’t even look.

Don't be hating on IASW.

Ok, that's an over-exaggeration. It’s a fun little ride. I’d look at it as a nice little warm-up ride. But it’s extremely short, and if I’d had to wait 100 minutes for that? I definitely would not have been happy.

You could have been one of the other six.

For dessert, we were going to abstain until Julie saw a “chocolate peanut butter pretzel cake” on the menu. Oscar brought out the plate and set it in front of Julie. He handed me a fork and an empty plate.

True in so many ways.

My favorite. Memories of me and the offspring circling around while SWMBO and her Dad hiked all over and did other Space Mt and others..

We spent a good amount of time making sure the Emporium wouldn’t go out of business this year as we tried to buy our way back into our children’s hearts. I didn’t get a photo, but I’m pretty sure I saw smoke coming from the credit card reader as the CM swiped my card. There might have been a small yelp of pain as well. But I did get a new Mickey tie, so I have that going for me, which is nice.
Coming Up Next: Half-days in the Half-Day Parks!

Stimulate that economy!

I actually like the new Fastpass system simply because I no longer have to be the "getter of the Fastpasses" any more. The wait times that you were experiencing during your trip are pretty typical of those that we encounter in the afternoons during our May/June trips. I guess that I'm used to seeing those kind of waits so they don't freak me out any more.

You would have to go and post pictures of food when I'm sitting at my desk eating peanut butter and crackers. Thanks! :P

Your story isn't the first that I've read about the late folks coming into the viewing areas and blocking the other's views. People can be real jerks sometimes....a lot of times....a whole lot of times.

Great update! Your dinner looks amazing! Those crowds are crazy! Do you think the fast pass for Wishes was worth it?

It was early afternoon on a beautiful December Saturday in the Magic Kingdom. We were there with thousands of our closest friends, and more arriving by the minute.
Thousands? Arriving by the minute? Must have been a slow park day............ :rolleyes1

We had not yet had a Dole Whip on this trip. That needed to be fixed, pronto. So Aloha Isle was the first stop. Julie was so anxious she couldn’t even wait for the obligatory photo before diving in.
You just can't take that Julie anywhere......... :sad2:

We could not find a single ride, even the lowlights, that didn’t have at least a 30-minute wait. At least it was a nice day.
It was here that we started to see the downside of the FP+ system. Yes, it’s convenient to know that you’ll definitely be getting on the headliners and won’t have to rush to get there. But the system has performed as Disney intended—it spread people throughout the parks to the other attractions. And so, on a crowded day, the FP+ system feels more like you’re being told, “Just pick the three rides you want to do today, and please spend the rest of the time in the gift shops.”
Or you get fed up with the hassle and walk out the front gate, refusing to be a part of their little scheme. :headache:

Without a doubt, the tour threw us off our normal park strategies. Without that, we would have hit many of the big rides in the morning. So I think in the future, we’ll arrive at park opening and reserve FP’s for the big rides in the afternoon.
Need to do some contemplating on the new FP+ "improvements" they recently announced to see how that changes touring strategy. :scratchin

Heigh-ho,
Heigh-ho,
It's off to work we--wait, it's over already? Didn't we just get on?

The attack of the over-hyped new "hot" attraction. :rotfl2:

We took one more look around Tomorrowland and found that the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor had a 20-minute wait. That was acceptable. So we got in line.

I like that show a lot. Probably because I’m a Dad, and therefore the humor is right in line with my own. This time, I actually got on screen, but it was just as something generic like “Just happy to be here” or something like that. Being “That Guy” remains on the Bucket List.
They tend to only select the goofy types that really play to the camera....... :lmao:

There was nobody in line and nobody in the restaurant, but they still made us go through the charade of signing in at the desk for our reservation and then giving us a pager to return when it was time to be seated. I guess that’s how you know you’re in a more pretentious restaurant. Anyway, we took about 22 seconds to go back out and sit on a bench before the pager went off. Well, look at that! I guess they found room for us.
Don't you just love the exclusivity :rolleyes:

For dessert, we were going to abstain until Julie saw a “chocolate peanut butter pretzel cake” on the menu. Oscar brought out the plate and set it in front of Julie. He handed me a fork and an empty plate.

He just have realized you guys were already married. Otherwise he would have known that goes with the territory.......... :-)

Everything was absolutely delicious. The steak was really tender, and the potatoes were full of cheese and melted in my mouth. This wound up being my favorite meal of the trip. Julie, for her part, still preferred Boma. She’s weird.
Steak and potatoes at an outrageous price vs. a bountiful buffet with a huge variety at an outrageous price..........yeah, I have to go with Julie on this one! :thumbsup2

After dinner, we wandered the Yacht and Beach Clubs a bit in order to see the Christmas decorations.
Love the decorations at those resorts! :goodvibes

After that tour, we hopped back onto a bus bound for the Magic Kingdom. The crowds had not dissipated in the least.
Do tell.......... :faint:

It just so happened that the castle lighting ceremony took place while we were riding along.
Great timing!!! :banana:

a great place to rest your feet, and it’s also great for both people-watching and giving you a nice view of the park. The model of Walt’s EPCOT and the chance to see Space Mountain with the lights on always help, too.
I think you've captured the essence of it right there! ::yes::

Anyway, at long last, Julie finally got to ride Big Thunder Mountain at night.

She loved it! It really is great at night. As Julie put it, it feels a little more out-of-control at night. And it goes faster than 7 mph, so it does get the edge over the “Speedway” as a nighttime experience.
It definitely does feel like a completely different ride a night :yay:

At first, everything was fine. But with only 2 minutes or so until the show started, the late-comers started pouring in. And they just filled in wherever, and then remained standing. None of the CM’s made a move. A few kind souls tried to move their strollers out of the way when they saw they were blocking the view, but for the most part the late-comers claimed their spots at the expense of everyone else. We scooted around as best as we could to see the castle.
Part of today's ME society......... :mad:

The show was great, as usual. Except for the very end. Just when they built up to the grand finale, all of these bright flashes started going off in my eyes. And they weren’t part of the show. Just ahead to our right, some family was having a series of photos taken of themselves watching the fireworks. There was a Photopass photographer taking the shots, so I guess this must have been some package available to guests? I couldn’t imagine what would possess them to think it would be fine and dandy to fire a flash repeatedly into the eyes of everyone watching the show, but I wanted to take the lady’s camera and drop it from the highest turret on the castle.
With strap still firmly placed around her neck??? >:(

In my opinion, it depends on the park. I'd use your strategy of scheduling 3 FP+ for the peak times at every park not called Magic Kingdom, because there's really no value to a 4th FP in a park with about 7 attractions, half of which are going to be tier ones and you can only FP one of them anyway. And by the time you'd go for a 4th they're gone, so your hands are tied to doing them RD and saving FP+ for peak times.

In MK though, I always try to reserve FP+ in advance for the bigger attractions and still use them in the morning, if possible. Then around lunch time I can start using the 4th. You might not be able to get one for Space Mountain at 2pm, but you can ride a crap ton of middle tier rides (Buzz, Pirates, JC, HM) for the rest of the day with little to no wait. I've also had luck getting BTMRR with that 4th FP. I'll be interested to see how this changes though, now that you can get the 4th with the app. I love that change, but I could see someone using their 3 in EPCOT and grabbing a 4th in MK before they've entered the park (if the app even allows that :confused3 ). That could make the rolling 4th FP a little bit more tricky.

I can see the logic. I'd say the only problem is if you're there on a crowded day like I was--then there's no way you're doing all of those middle-tier rides for the rest of the day. You'll be stuck in 30-40 minute waits at the minimum. It'll be interesting to see what happens with being able to reserve a ride in a different park.

:thumbsup2 Couldn't find the one I got on there, but it is the same basic pattern, only it is kind of a silver with black Mickeys.

Any Mickey tie is a good one. I picked that blue one because I didn't have any that color. I even wore it to my successful interview...:scratchin

Know what's wrong with that picture?
Not enough grey hair.
You get that too, with kids.

I'm going the alternate route--I'm just losing it all. Or my forehead is growing.

My, my. We've turned on our friends pretty quickly there.

I think they were just using me anyway.

Yep.
That's a no brainer.

I see what you did there.

So much for that idea.

We're taking all the fun out of this.

There ya go.

And... yes.

:thumbsup2

I guess. That's what I did last time. Rode it with zero wait.
But I think I wouldn't be too upset if I skipped it entirely.

I'd probably try and ride at least once per trip. But it wouldn't kill me to miss it, as opposed to, say, BTMRR.

This all sounds familiar. Especially your last comment.

Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

See it and then tell me.
I always thought of their parades as either a great time to go on rides or as a traffic jamming device.
But I really enjoyed watching it when I decided to do that.

Yeah, I've always considered the parades to be great for distracting other people while I go on the rides. We'll see if I break down next time.

After trying the cheese soup that everyone raves about (meh) it's fallen off my radar.

Now there I do have to disagree. I really did love that soup.

Good point.
When we go, we go to our favourite place. (maybe once or twice a year)
I always have trouble choosing between the filet mignon or the prime rib.
Both are out of this world.

Well, it's great when you can't go wrong. Julie and I solve that by ordering one of each and then sharing.

Yeah... that's what it was... sure.

:rolleyes1

Well, actually... :rolleyes1

I knew it! Ok, start spilling details.

:eek: Where the heck were you when those imagineers were planning this thing?

Still my dream job. That would be so much fun.

Okay, okay. Stop rubbing it in.

No fireworks for you!

I thought ET was at Universal?

Is that where the trail of Reese's pieces led?

Yep.
You can have 60 seconds of guilt "You didn't get us anything?" or a lifetime of "Where's my new car?"

Dang it! I totally blew that one.

Happy Belated Birthday Scotty!

Thanks, Shawn!

Don't be hating on IASW.

Too late.:rolleyes1

You could have been one of the other six.

Nice!:rotfl2: I would have been Grumpy. Definitely Grumpy. Stop with the Dopey cracks.

True in so many ways.

Facts of life. What can you do?

My favorite. Memories of me and the offspring circling around while SWMBO and her Dad hiked all over and did other Space Mt and others..

It's definitely a Disney thing.

Stimulate that economy!

We did our part, for sure!

I actually like the new Fastpass system simply because I no longer have to be the "getter of the Fastpasses" any more. The wait times that you were experiencing during your trip are pretty typical of those that we encounter in the afternoons during our May/June trips. I guess that I'm used to seeing those kind of waits so they don't freak me out any more.

I'm just impatient. I don't want to stand in those lines if I don't have to. Disney has done a really good job of getting people into the parks all year long, so it's harder to find those slow times of year anymore.

You would have to go and post pictures of food when I'm sitting at my desk eating peanut butter and crackers. Thanks! :P

Was it the steak, or the Dole Whip? :thumbsup2

Your story isn't the first that I've read about the late folks coming into the viewing areas and blocking the other's views. People can be real jerks sometimes....a lot of times....a whole lot of times.

Yep. That's what entitlement does for you.:sad2:

Great update! Your dinner looks amazing! Those crowds are crazy! Do you think the fast pass for Wishes was worth it?

In this case, I think it was. Just because we'd lost half the day for the tour and I didn't want to take over an hour to hold a spot to wait for the show. Most days I would not have used a FP on the fireworks, though. And now I guess it's a moot point, since they removed Wishes from the FP lineup.

Thousands? Arriving by the minute? Must have been a slow park day............ :rolleyes1

Captain Literal strikes again...

You just can't take that Julie anywhere......... :sad2:

I know, right? Always making a scene.

Or you get fed up with the hassle and walk out the front gate, refusing to be a part of their little scheme. :headache:

I suppose that could happen. If I hadn't already paid all that money for the park ticket.

Need to do some contemplating on the new FP+ "improvements" they recently announced to see how that changes touring strategy. :scratchin

Yeah, I'm interested to see if that changes anything.

The attack of the over-hyped new "hot" attraction. :rotfl2:

It was new to us, so we had to try it out. I'm glad we had the FP's.

They tend to only select the goofy types that really play to the camera....... :lmao:

So why didn't they pick Julie?

Don't you just love the exclusivity :rolleyes:

I kept waiting for a server to say, "We don't serve your kind here."

He just have realized you guys were already married. Otherwise he would have known that goes with the territory.......... :-)

Pretty much.

Steak and potatoes at an outrageous price vs. a bountiful buffet with a huge variety at an outrageous price..........yeah, I have to go with Julie on this one! :thumbsup2

But...but...it's steak! And nobody in line sneezed on it.

Love the decorations at those resorts! :goodvibes

Do tell.......... :faint:

Ugh. Next time I'll try and go on a weekday.

Great timing!!! :banana:

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

I think you've captured the essence of it right there! ::yes::

Thanks!

It definitely does feel like a completely different ride a night :yay:

It's a lot of fun. I like it any time of day!

Part of today's ME society......... :mad:

No doubt.::yes::

With strap still firmly placed around her neck??? :(

I can't say that in public!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter