• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Came, We Saw, We ATE The World! 11 Nights Dlx DP *9/2 Yak & Yeti*

Just tuning in... great, great reviews so far! I love the photos and attention to details (décor, presentation, taste, etc).

This is particularly interesting to me since I'm going with some friends in November (we're all 27-ish), and we haven't even begun to considering dining yet. You and Megan make the perfect culinary tour guides! We will all have deluxe dining plans as well. Is there anything we should know ahead of time (tips, advice, suggestions) pertaining to daily allotment or optimization? How do drinks work? We definitely want to try drinking around the world. Are those all separate charges? What are some can't-miss drinks?

I guess I'll have to wait until all the reviews come out before you divulge your best of the best, but is there a restaurant you recommend we can't miss? We'll be there for 7 nights (at the Polynesian!), so massive amounts of food will be consumed.

Keep up the good work!

Just tuning in... great, great reviews so far! I love the photos and attention to details (décor, presentation, taste, etc).

This is particularly interesting to me since I'm going with some friends in November (we're all 27-ish), and we haven't even begun to considering dining yet. You and Megan make the perfect culinary tour guides! We will all have deluxe dining plans as well. Is there anything we should know ahead of time (tips, advice, suggestions) pertaining to daily allotment or optimization? How do drinks work? We definitely want to try drinking around the world. Are those all separate charges? What are some can't-miss drinks?

I guess I'll have to wait until all the reviews come out before you divulge your best of the best, but is there a restaurant you recommend we can't miss? We'll be there for 7 nights (at the Polynesian!), so massive amounts of food will be consumed.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for joining in! As far as advice goes, I think if we had to do it over again, we would probably do only one table service meal and one signature meal (2 points) every day. Several of the days we had three table service meals and it was just SO much food because you get an appetizer, entrée and dessert with every meal.

As far as drinks go, those are all separate charges, even with your meals. I would recommend any of the margaritas from La Cava (not the ones from the cart outside of Mexico) and the Grand Marnier slushie from France! Since you are staying at the Polynesian, you definitely need to have a Lapu Lapu! The best way I can describe them is a fruity Long Island, inside a pineapple!

This is the review that I have been most looking forward to writing!

I was super super worried about our ADR at Ohana. I had made our reservation here before Megan had stopped eating meat. Worst case scenario, I figured I would make a meal out of salad, shrimp and bread pudding. Certainly, there were worse things one could have a meal out of. But since Megan also no longer ate meat, I was really worried that we would both sit there with nothing to eat. I posted on the board here, and unanimously, everyone told me to cancel the ADR. The problem we had, was that there just weren't any other restaurants we were interested in.

So, we decided to roll the dice.

We started our evening at the bar, where we decided we just HAD to have the Lapu Lapu.

C90F3AA3-A006-40B7-8113-492F6F06FE0B_zpsuucx0sfz.jpg

17EDDC2D-D623-462F-A291-D90A25ACC4DB_zpsev1ofslk.jpg

Lapu Lapu's under construction...

DE85D87D-F4FE-4886-A164-EA6F59F1E0FF_zpsebaqnxth.jpg

And the finished product.

We had a tag team of servers, Lori and Cliff. Both had been servers at Disney for over TWENTY years! I was so nervous about our ADR here and having to say that neither one of us ate meat, just shellfish. I was worried about getting a look or an eye roll since you know, meat is sort of the main star at Ohana.

Lori told us not to worry, they had an amazing time planned for us, and boy did they ever!

We started with salad, which of course was vegetarian friendly.

DSC01366_zps4f4790d0.jpg

I could eat bowls of this salad, but I still wish they would bring back the old honey lime dressing!

Next up we had a trio of dips with fried wonton chips

DSC01367_zps83390661.jpg

The one furthest to the left was a red pepper hummus, the middle was a plain hummus and the right was a red pepper pesto type dip, that had a little more spice.

Next came lo mein noodles with stir fried veggies...

These were phenomenal and not dripping in oil like lo mein often is. The veggies were nice and tender and not over cooked.

DSC01368_zpsb806506a.jpg

And then there was a HUGE bowl of stir fried veggies with tofu.

These were awesome, and had a great amount of spice on them to make them extra delicious!

DSC01369_zps33eb2ad6.jpg

And then we were able to get some of the shrimp as well. These shrimp are AMAZING!! They have a great smoky flavor but aren't overly spicy. The marinade on them is yummy! Yes, peeling them is a pain, but if they grilled them without the shell they would be like little dry pieces of leather.

For dessert I went with the bread pudding...

DSC01372_zpsaadbcecb.jpg

Which was amazing and incredible as always!!

Megan, who sometimes has trouble with lactose, was giving a dairy free dessert of Tofutti ice cream, chocolate cookies and fruit.

DSC01373_zps5328efb5.jpg

The cherry on top of our Sundae at Ohana was when Lori brought us some long handled silver spoons to scoop out the drunken pineapple from our Lapu Lapu's.

Her and Cliff were so incredible that we couldn't NOT stop and say something to their manager. These two are a gem in the Disney family and they need to stay around for a long long time!

And here we are, very full, but happy as can be after our meal at Ohana!

DSC01374_zpsb47df216.jpg

I am so glad that you had such a great time at Ohana! So refreshing to hear positive things; i feel like everything these days is negative about Ohana! I am still undecided if we will be going back since they got rid of the chicken, Corey's favorite thing!

Great to read your review of Ohana's since there is so many bad ones out there over the last several months. We have reservations in November and hoping we enjoy dining there as you both did

I'm still catching up with your reviews but it looks like you have quite a foodie trip going on! I love food lol. My first trip is in dec so I'm looking for suggestions from your reviews, a lot of my adrs seem to be on your list! And yes, I'm most excited about ohana and narcossee!

Love, love, love the reviews! makes me want to do only shellfish, too! Great choices, and I hate peas, too. But, that is because I am deathly allergic. :)

I am so glad that you had such a great time at Ohana! So refreshing to hear positive things; i feel like everything these days is negative about Ohana! I am still undecided if we will be going back since they got rid of the chicken, Corey's favorite thing!

It always makes me sad to hear about Ohana removing things from their menu! The place is filled every. single. night. Don't mess with perfection! I deeply miss the old honey and lime dressing they had!

Great to read your review of Ohana's since there is so many bad ones out there over the last several months. We have reservations in November and hoping we enjoy dining there as you both did

This was my second time eating at Ohana, and while our first experience was not quite as wonderful as this one was, they both were great!

I'm still catching up with your reviews but it looks like you have quite a foodie trip going on! I love food lol. My first trip is in dec so I'm looking for suggestions from your reviews, a lot of my adrs seem to be on your list! And yes, I'm most excited about ohana and narcossee!

I may be giving it away, but Narcoossee's was also an excellent meal for us and a great way to end our trip.

Love, love, love the reviews! makes me want to do only shellfish, too! Great choices, and I hate peas, too. But, that is because I am deathly allergic. :)

We certainly had no shortage of shellfish options. Everywhere we went, except for one place, was more than accommodating with making substitutions if one of the sides contained meat.

Excited to read the rest, great reviews!!

Thank you for joining in!

Love your reviews. Excited to read more. :)

Thank you!

For breakfast, we had some snacks from Landscape of Flavors. Sorry, but no pictures.

Megan had a cheese Danish, and I went with the ever popular chocolate croissaint. They were both good and fit the bill for the morning.

We wanted a light breakfast because we were preparing for an early lunch at one of my absolute favorites, Yak & Yeti.

We checked in just as they were opening, and were pleased to find a mostly empty restaurant.

DSC01507_zps1792c779.jpg

I hate to disappoint everyone, but Megan and I were really speaking eachother's language this day, because we ordered a lot of the same things.

We both started with one of my favorite apps in all of WDW...

DSC01510_zpsbb51f67f.jpg

Seared Ahi Tuna - Chilled, sesame-encrusted ahi tuna, wasabi aioli, and sweet chili slaw $11.99

As per usual, the tuna was wonderfully chilled and cooked wonderfully. The wasabi aioli packs just the right amount of punch, and the chili slaw was crisp and refreshing.

For our entree, I decided to go with...

DSC01512_zps7599b6ce.jpg

Crispy Mahi Mahi - filet of mahi mahi, Japanese bread crumbs, Cantonese sweet and sour sauce, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables $24.99

This arrived out piping hot and extra crispy. I LOVED the sweet and sour sauce! I hadn't tried the Mahi Mahi before, but I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Megan ordered...

DSC01511_zps1c716ac0.jpg

Malaysian Seafood Curry - Mahi Mahi, scallops, little neck clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, roma tomatoes, red curry coconut broth, and jasmine rice $22.99

This was awesome! It had a great mild spice to it, so Megan asked for some hot sauce. They brought out my favorite, sriracha and she was able to spice it up to her liking. Overall this had great flavor, but it was a HUGE portion!

And for dessert, there was no way we could NOT get...

DSC01513_zps2f85facf.jpg

Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle $8.99

These were simple, yet amazing as always. Really, I would be perfectly content with these even without the sauce.

In my book, Yak & Yeti truly can't do any wrong, I have never had a single dish here that wasn't a solid and extremely flavorful choice!

Thanks for the Y&Y review. I have a $50 Landry's giftcard from Discover, and my birthday month is the same as our trip...so I figure for the $25 Landry club, I would get $100 to spend at Y&Y ($25 select club, $25 birthday, $50 gift card that I got for free), so I have been thinking about doing Y&Y lunch on our AK day instead of our beloved Tusker House brunch.

Yak and yeti sounds delish! Maybe I should find a way to squeeze it in our next trip instead of doing QS for lunch :)

I love Yak and Yeti and I swear I keep returning to WDW for the seafood curry and fried wontons at Y&Y!! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh. My. Goodness. I am currently waiting to grab lunch with my DH and read the entire report (not a great idea when you are this hungry). We are getting ready for a trip in a few months and will be at a few of the places you've reviewed so far: Tusker House, Saana & Kona (and EPCOT, of course.) I'm now working on convincing my family to add Fulton's to the mix....thanks for that.

Also, hi from another Wisconsin girl. I especially appreciate your cheese ratio analysis! :)

Subbing and looking forward to reading more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter