We Ate WDW! 10 Days on Free DDP with LOTS of PHOTOS!! COMPLETED!

Loving the report!!!! Please tell me that Els wore sunscreen on the remainder of the trip because he looks really sunburned :sunny: while he is enjoying his Mickey Bar. :mickeybar

Great reviews and pics, can't wait for the next installment! :tinker:

Really enjoying your reviews!:goodvibes

The reviews are great and you guys are adorable! :cheer2:

Your reviews are excellent and I am enjoying hearing about your adventures. I'm looking forward to more!:goodvibes

Boma: Flavours of Africa

I was really excited to be eating here since it was 'The' Boma - the place everyone had been raving about. We had caught a bus over to AK and then one over to AKL, and guess what - we were only 10 minutes late! Definately an improvement guys! We actually had no idea where Boma was in the AKL so we were running around like headless chickens for 5 minutes until Els spotted a sign. We checked in and encountered our first real wait, however it was only a good 5 minutes until we were beeped.

We sat down and our waiter came over, introduced himself and proceeded to explain all about the different pods which we really appreciated - of course I had read about it all here on the DIS but he didn't know that! We ordered drinks first - 2 sprites, a lager for Els and a blue glowtini (Skyy citrus vodka, peach schnapps, blue curacao, sweet and sour, pineapple juice and a blue glow cube) for me. I have to say, I am an annoying drinker - I seem to have a penchant for expensive drinks whereas I would love to order a beer and get away with a $3 tab. Anyhow, happy with the fact that I was a step closer to becoming a LOTW, we got up and made our way to the buffet.

I think I was becoming delirious at the thought of food whilst our server was chatting so had no idea which end the buffet started, and of course we didn't start at the soups and salads end! Anyhow, happy with our choices, we followed the blue glow back to our table where our drinks had arrived:
img6891copyyv4.jpg

I think Els got a bud which of course he enjoyed, it was a bud! My Glowtini was sooo strong - Disney's drinks might be expensive but no one can say they skimp on the alcohol! I had to take baby sips and add my sprite as I went - when I finally got the mixture right, it was really good! I still have the glowcube!
img6892copyoq3.jpg

Did I say I got a job at the Haunted Mansion?

Okay, onto the good stuff - dinner. Els' plate:
img6888copyal4.jpg

Clockwise, Fries: Good, just normal fries.
Prime Rib: This was good and I remember he liked the sauce as he raved about it.
Chicken: Chicken was good - lots of white meat
Fufu: Minging! < His words not mine!
Potatoes with Afritude (below fries): Not so good - they had a herb on them which he didn't like. His words, they tasted like flowers.

My plate:
img6889copyuf8.jpg

Clockwise starting at the bottom.
Coca Cola Pork: I had put this on my plate before I had read the label. I don't usually order meats like pork in a restaurant but I could see that there was no fat on the meat. On seeing the label I was suprised, but thought I would try nevertheless, and I'm glad I did as it was so good! Really tender and didn't taste of Coke although it had a good flavour.
Chicken: Loved the flavour and this had lots of white meat on it.
Fufu: Same thoughts as Els sorry! This was just gross!
Pap (with some sort of red sauce topping): The red sauce helped a bit, and I'm clutching at straws here - it was almost as bad as the Fufu!
Brown Ball: I think this might have been the vegetable lentil kofta. I think this was good, but I can't really remember it at all so it must not have been memorable!
Bobotie: I would happily live on Fufu and Pap for the rest of my days, if only I didn't have to try Bobotie again! I know this has it's fans but to me it tasted like mince with coconut cake... kinda like something Rachel would concoct in Friends!
Potatoes with Afritude: These were kinda disappointing, whilst they tasted of flowers to Els, they didn't taste of anything to me.
Yellow rice - this was good, just standard yellow rice.

Onto the soups which we should've started with, I chose one, the Curried Coconut Seafood Stew:
img6893copyne1.jpg

Oh. My. Gosh. Where have you been all my life? This was truly awesome! It was a bit spicy, but not so much that it burnt your tounge off, it was creamy, it kinda reminded me of a Korma, but about 10 times better, and packed with great seafood. I could have eaten this all day. My only regret was not starting at the soup end of the buffet!

Els chose 2 soups, Chicken Corn Porridge and Carrot and Ginger I think:
img6896copysh8.jpg

This goes to show how different people's tastes can vary when it comes to Boma. Els loved the Corn Porridge, whilst I didn't like it one bit. He hated the Carrot and Ginger whilst I thought it was lovely and very smooth, although I was too full to have more than a spoon.

Up next after a small rest, dessert! Els' plate (Pah! Beginner!):
img6901copyjs9.jpg

Cookie: Good cookie!
Zebra Dome: This was really good!
Dried Fruit (I think): Just normal candied fruit.
Peach Cobbler: Not so great!

My dessert plate. Hey remember the DIS golden rule, if it fits on one plate, it's one dessert:
img6900copydw3.jpg

Chocolate Pudding: I remember this being quite good.
Strawberry Pastry: I think it was good.
Zebra Dome: Ahh, now this is the reason why my memory about the rest of the dessert plate is sketchy. I knew the DIS raved about these little things, but I didn't think I would like them - I thought there was some alcohol in there and usually I don't like foods with alcohol in. But oh my gosh, no one had prepared me for the Zebra Dome! It was so creamy, fudgy, sweet and all the rest of it!
Assorted Fruit: Now how did that get there?
Flapjack (The oaty thing): I really couldn't remember a lot after that Zebra Dome, but I believe it had raisins in, so I didn't eat much.
Brownie: If I'm being honest, I can't remember this at all!
Despite being fit to burst, I waddled back and nabbed 2 more zebra domes.

Ambience: It gets very busy in here and you can tell it's a popular place. The lighting is quite dark, but I have eaten in much darker places. Of course being busy, it does get very loud, but you do expect these things at a buffet restaurant.
img6902copyan7.jpg

From our table.
img6903copyrw3.jpg

From above.

H RATING: 6.5/10
E RATING: 5/10
WOULD WE EAT HERE AGAIN? Well, we were impressed with the quality of the food on the buffet and the freshness, but to be honest I don't think we will eat here again. Els said he only liked the prime rib, corn soup, cookies and zebra domes and that's not enough to get him back there - but then again he doesn't really like buffets so he's a bit biased. Me on the other hand, I would go back sometime as I know now what I like and don't like on the buffet - I love trying new things and am not super fussy, so I was disappointed that I didn't like the more African items on the buffet - but I know plenty of people who do, so that's just my personal tastes. Next time I'd try more of the salads and soups, get some meats, and fill up on zebra domes! But, this is one that we haven't put down as a 'repeat' for our next trip.

DDP COST: 2 TS Credits
OOP COST: Bud $3.75 Glowtini $9.25 (plus tax and 18% tip)

Thank you everybody for the great comments you have left :teeth: I really appreciate it and I'll be sad when my reviewing is over!

Els wanted me to point out when I was reviewing that he doesn't always look like a Candy Cane and did burn the day before at the Magic Kingdom - he made sure to slap it on afterwards!! He was really sore at TL but I think the Mickey Bar helped a lot!!

Love all of your reviews so far, and yours is the BEST kind of trip report, as it features so many photos! I can't wait to read more! And also, has anyone ever told you that you have the most gorgeous eyes? I sure wish my eyes were as pretty as yours!

Hayley, loving your dining reviews. I am definitely thinking of adding CRT for our next trip, after all we will be celebrating our 1st anniversary:thumbsup2
I'm also tempted to try WCC, even if it's just to get that Smores Cheesecake, mmmm! Steven isn't to fond of all the antics, he's quite shy so would hate to have to circle the restaurant on a hobby horse:rolleyes: I on the other hand wouldn't mind and I really love the look of the food.
I ended up canceling our reservation for Boma because I thought the food didn't look that enjoyable. I'm actually quite glad I did, I don't think I missed much here, esp since we dined at Jiko, I figured I might as well try one at AKL, Jiko is highly recommended btw.
Figaro Fires, are they the same in all the CS places in WDW? I LOVED all the fries at WDW, but never ate at Pinnochio Village Haus, always Peco Bills, which was brilliant, although I think I may try Cosmic Rays now too.

Thank you so much for reading guys!! I really appreciate all the nice comments :teeth:

Linus Van Pelt - Thank you so much, that is so sweet! My DBF says they're my best feature :teeth: A lot of people think my lashes are fake and ask me where I get them - I always tell them, I got them from my mom :teeth:

Summer! Glad you dropped by!! I think the servers in WCC are pretty good, and can tell when you're not up to the antics - we got the whole jars and straws thing, but didn't have to get up and sing or anything like that! The WL is soooo beautiful! Figaro Fries are the ones with the tomatoes, cheese, lettuce, bacon and sour cream on... you can only get them at Pinocchio's and they are soooo good! Looking forward to the next bit of your TR! Have you booked yet? We might even have a couple of ADRs the same for next time :)

Electric Umbrella

We chose Electric Umbrella today as we hadn't yet ventured into World Showcase, and since we'd got kinda lost on the way to The Land that morning, we decided to give Sunshine Seasons a miss too. Sooooo Electric Umbrella it was. When we went in there were really no queues and lots of seating, so we went right ahead and ordered.

We both fancied something different today so we got Chicken Strips, Fries and Sprite:
img7136copytl4.jpg

This was okay, and a change from burgers, but the chicken strips were quite dry and we had to use a lot of BBQ Sauce (I love BBQ!) to get them down the hatch. On the plus side, the portion of chicken strips was huge!

Dessert was Strawberry Cheesecake:
img7137copyjr1.jpg

I was so pleased to spot cheesecake on the menu, so I went ahead and ordered that. I was even more pleased to see that the Strawberry topping came seperately, since we both would have scraped it off anyway - it gets in the way of the cheesecake!

This was really good cheesecake for CS and it was quite a good sized portion. Els always says, if it sticks to your spoon, then it's good cheesecake:
img7140copyxj0.jpg

Ambience: Was nothing special. It wasn't too busy or too loud in there, and I liked the fact that you could go ahead and do your own drink, so I think they might be refillable. It was just a normal CS place, and we had eaten at other CS' with better ambience than this one.

H RATING: 5/10
E RATING: 5/10
WOULD WE EAT HERE AGAIN? There are too many CS' in the World Showcase, as well as Sunshine Seasons for us to consider eating here again as it was just mediocre really. But maybe we just caught them on a bad day and the strips were overdone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter