WDW with an infant (5 month old) advice

That only works if your 4.5 year old will understand he only gets to ride 1 time for those rides. So if he isn't tall enough for say TT or Soarin make sure he has a FP for frozen so he can ride that twice if that makes sense.

Oh . .so I guess this doesn't work because my SON doesn't have a Fast Pass for both rides? So I need to decide which I want him to ride twice? That makes sense ..

So my guess is he would want to ride Test Track twice .. NOT Frozen :).

Oh . .so I guess this doesn't work because my SON doesn't have a Fast Pass for both rides? So I need to decide which I want him to ride twice? That makes sense ..

That works get the FP for you and son for TT because he'll get to ride there twice and one for frozen. Then when you get the rider swap at frozen you can ride with your son after your wife rides since they won't check that everyone has a FP before they issue it.

Going with an infant is a LOT easier than you think it will be. Most have given you all the advice you need, but just to add, going to the baby center is not a bad thing. My wife really enjoyed that area (nice break with AC and VERY comfortable). Meet and greets (especially face characters like Tinker Bell) can be a lot of fun as well. I will say our little one was a really easy baby which may make our experience different, but it was not difficult at all.

Following this...have a 4 year old DD and 2-month-old DS.

So you can rider swap on Frozen? I assumed you wouldn't be able to swap on the any-height rides. That might change things as far as FP strategy because I could have DH get one for Test Track instrad of FEA...

Thanks for the nursing spot advice above...I have no problem with NIP but it didn't occur to me that there might not be any place to sit in the area while waiting. Luckily DS is great in his carrier and we'll be renting a double stroller (and have grandparents along to help).

So you can rider swap on Frozen? I assumed you wouldn't be able to swap on the any-height rides. That might change things as far as FP strategy because I could have DH get one for Test Track instrad of FEA...

Thanks for the nursing spot advice above...I have no problem with NIP but it didn't occur to me that there might not be any place to sit in the area while waiting. Luckily DS is great in his carrier and we'll be renting a double stroller (and have grandparents along to help).

Just realized you may not be able to riderswap Frozen. It is an any height attraction so they may not give you a swap card :( for some reason I thought it had a height requirement.

Last edited:

Correct, if it is an "any height" ride you won't be able to rider swap. We tried that on TSMM because the baby was asleep in the carrier and we didn't want to wake her up; they said no. :(

Correct, if it is an "any height" ride you won't be able to rider swap. We tried that on TSMM because the baby was asleep in the carrier and we didn't want to wake her up; they said no. :(

Except Frozen. You can rider swap there.

Except Frozen. You can rider swap there.

Good to know with Frozen. I would think they would let you do it at TSMM too since some parents find it far too jerky for the tiny ones but I guess different park management teams can extend the rules a little.

Good to know with Frozen. I would think they would let you do it at TSMM too since some parents find it far too jerky for the tiny ones but I guess different park management teams can extend the rules a little.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Frozen, exactly. But it's listed on Disney's website as part of the rider swap program and people have reported being able to swap there. I agree, it would be nice if it were more widely available. My husband and I will be taking our 18 month old in May and hoping he will nap some in the stroller. I plan to use fastpasses for things he can enjoy, but that leaves us a little stuck for the times he's napping. There are several things we'd both like to do, but not standing in standby twice. It's not like anyone loses out if we go through standby together vs. one of us in standby and the other in the FP line. Oh well.

That's exactly why we wanted to do rider swap, but unfortunately it wasn't going to happen. Good to know about Frozen, though!

I'm not sure what the deal is with Frozen, exactly. But it's listed on Disney's website as part of the rider swap program and people have reported being able to swap there. I agree, it would be nice if it were more widely available. My husband and I will be taking our 18 month old in May and hoping he will nap some in the stroller. I plan to use fastpasses for things he can enjoy, but that leaves us a little stuck for the times he's napping. There are several things we'd both like to do, but not standing in standby twice. It's not like anyone loses out if we go through standby together vs. one of us in standby and the other in the FP line. Oh well.
My guess is that they let you Rider Swap Frozen because of getting in and out of boats with an infant ... *shrug* and because of the drop? I know my wife probably wouldn't be comfortable (even with a carrier) stepping in/out of a boat.

But I guess it is probably more because of the drop because they don't offer Rider Swap for Pirates or Small World.

Where is there a rider swap list on the Disney site? I've never seen this.

I wish I would have known that about FEA, we might have planned our FPs differently!

We mainly use RS to maximize FPs in MK. By booking 2/3 of your party on 4 rides that each have a HR you effectively get an extra FP. It didn't work at Epcot or HS due to Tiers and lack of rides with HRs, but may now with FEA in the mix.

Our boys were 4yrs and 8 mo on our last trip, and the little one had a great time! Rode every non-HR ride, many in my wrap (only had to take him out on the Carousel). Some he laughed through, others he slept or nursed. The characters were sweet when interacting with him, and he had a long game of peek-a-boo with Donald at Tusker House for lunch. I NIP at home and at WDW, so any bench/line/slow ride works for us. I went to a baby center only once, to look for diaper cream since he got a rash. It was ok, nothing special IMO. Best part of the trip for my older DS was getting to ride things twice with RS!

We travel all the time with our kids, don't fear it. It's good for them and it means we get to still do the things that we enjoy. Be flexible and don't try to pack too much in and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have fun! We head back on Thursday morning!

My guess is that they let you Rider Swap Frozen because of getting in and out of boats with an infant ... *shrug* and because of the drop? I know my wife probably wouldn't be comfortable (even with a carrier) stepping in/out of a boat.

But I guess it is probably more because of the drop because they don't offer Rider Swap for Pirates or Small World.

Pirates has a drop similar to the one in FEA...I'd argue that the Pirates one is actually more "intense." Because of the subject matter and the drop, I wish there was rider swap for that ride in particular. My husband and I both love it but we aren't comfortable taking the 18 month old on it just yet. Seems like wait times at that ride have gone up since the introduction of FP+ and there's no way we're both wasting time going through standby for it.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I wasn't even thinking Frozen would be an issue for our 6 month old (turning 7 months while on the trip). I've ridden it before it was Frozen and know the drop isn't really a big thing but I also didn't have kids to tell me other wise.

Opinions on whether to rider swap this or try it as a family? My son already enjoy lights and music so I thought it would be enjoyable for him, now I'm not sure if it's ideal. I was planning to have my husband wear him in our Ergo baby carrier if that makes any difference?

Sorry to hijack this thread but I wasn't even thinking Frozen would be an issue for our 6 month old (turning 7 months while on the trip). I've ridden it before it was Frozen and know the drop isn't really a big thing but I also didn't have kids to tell me other wise.

Opinions on whether to rider swap this or try it as a family? My son already enjoy lights and music so I thought it would be enjoyable for him, now I'm not sure if it's ideal. I was planning to have my husband wear him in our Ergo baby carrier if that makes any difference?

It is a personal preference really. Being in an Ergo probably makes it easier to keep hold of him. If it wasn't safe for baby Disney would have a height requirement on it. Some don't like their kids being jostled at all and others figure holding their head is more than enough. I've seen babies on all the boat rides including Frozen so again it is really up to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter