• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW vets fall in love with DL

bleeps

DIS Veteran
Wow.
Still a little bleary after having taken a red-eye back home to Boston last night after a week in So Cal. We spent 4/17 through 4/20 at the Grand Californian and had an incredible time -- we definitely love DL/DCA and will return some day.

As WDW veterans, we share these personal observations -- observations, not facts, and based on this first visit. We stayed at the Grand Californian and highly recommend it.

We think everyone who deeply loves WDW, especially for all the little reasons (all the imagineering, all the special touches) should try to visit Walt's first park:

1. Even though you hear all the time how much smaller DL is, we found that the Magic Kingdom, although on a smaller plot of land, is SO jam-packed with many more attractions and details that the size is only a benefit. (We forgot our pedometers but we know we logged nowhere near our usual 10 to 15 miles per day that we do at WDW; SO much less walking, SO much less time *lost* to transportation between parks/hotel.)

2. Once in the park (either DL or DCA), you really don't have a sense of the world outside. Oh sure, you can get glimpses of outside hotels when you ride tall attractions, but it's minor and really does not take away from the magic. We surmise that the area around the parks has gone through a lot of updates/upgrades since Walt's day -- we definitely would not describe the area as *seedy,* even though that was the image we had in our minds.

3. We didn't realize that every attraction that has a version at WDW is actually different at DL. So Splash, BTMRR, Pirates, Winnie-the-Pooh, on and on -- EVERY attraction that's also at WDW has a unique version at DL; they used the same names and the same *general* format for the attractions, but differences are obvious and many. We came to the conclusion that most people probably prefer their home park's version of each attraction, and this could partly be why some WDW people don't *like* DL as much -- it's just that whole thing about being most comfortable with what's most familiar. We really enjoyed getting the different experiences, especially on the attractions that where there when Walt was there (yes, we do understand that updates have been made since, but you know what I mean!).

4. We had a funny, kind of dream-like state of experience being in the Magic Kingdom -- a place that's SO familiar and dear to our hearts at WDW, and that's just so similar but different at DL. Kind of like, "I know this place, but I don't know it." We enjoyed this feeling, and look forward to someday knowing DL as well as we know WDW.

5. Definitely subjective, but overall we found that the cast members at DL/DCA are certainly nice, but not as nice/friendly/accommodating as at WDW. I'm not complaining, and we had no "bad" experiences, but it was the little things -- no one ever wished us a *magical day,* of the many cast members that we passed during the course of a day (at our hotel, at the parks), it was rare for anyone to make contact with us or say "hello," and many seemed startled that WE said hello to them. And I'm not trying to claim that we've never encountered grumpy/unfriendly cast members in Orlando -- it was just noticeable to us that there was a difference. We wondered if it was a management style difference, or if it somehow had to do with another difference, which was that...

6. ...it was very clear that the crowds at DL are very highly local. Big difference in day-trippers vs. people there on vacation. We always have a sense in WDW of a very international crowd -- we've always met people from other countries and the overall feel of the crowd, as I said, is that of vacationers. So many, many more people at DL/DCA are locals who are there for the day and clearly go there all the time, so maybe that has something to do with the outlook/attitude of cast members -- less of a sense that you have a responsibility in making someone's vacation special?

7. Can't say enough about how fabulous it is to have everything SO close together! We rode the monorail for the fun of it, but we never had to use Disney "transportation." It was SO easy to walk everywhere, walks were short, and park-hopping (as well as getting back to the hotel) was wonderfully easy. A huge plus in our book!

8. We understand why DCA needed an overhaul -- it is lovely, but not a whole lot to it. However we were thrilled with what we could see of Cars Land (it is very visible from Mickey's Fun Wheel and at the Blue Sky Cellar deck) -- anyone headed there this summer is really in for a treat and we look forward to going back to see it some day. They totally nailed the main street in Radiator Springs, and we could see them testing the race car track and it looks awesome. We really enjoyed the overview and film offered at Blue Sky Cellar.

9. Counter Service food was uniformly decent, although we did miss the dining options of WDW. We had a top-5-in-a-lifetime experience at Napa Rose (I plan to post dining reviews/photos later this week), but were underwhelmed by Blue Bayou and Wine Country Trattoria (nothing terrible, but very rushed and not particularly good). We'd love to see them add more table service and better quality (choosing our restaurants at WDW is always a fun and big part of the trip for us). We usually do the dining plan at WDW and found that going plan-less (since it works so differently at DL) worked out great -- the freedom and flexibility may make us go without at WDW on our next trip.

10. Every detail, every view, everything at the DL Magic Kingdom is special. The gardens there are lush and they are real gardens filled with perennials and annuals (very different from the bedding plants at WDW's MK). As others have noted, the park feels/looks crowded at DL but many, many rides are walk-ons. No where near the number of Fast Pass attractions (we were really stunned that they didn't build in FP at Toy Story Mania in DCA). They absolutely let you use *expired* FPs (same day, but later window) and FPs are easy to get -- often, even though they were available, CMs were discouraging people from getting them because stand-by lines were so short (Soarin' was always a walk-on!).

Well, I'll leave it at that for now. Happy to answer any questions! BTW, going the week-plus after Easter worked great for us (Tuesday through Friday). Hotel wasn't full, crowds very manageable, and weather was heavenly (OK, one more thing: the lack of humidity in So Cal is gorgeous -- we had so much more energy because we weren't dealing with all the humidity!)

Thanks for yor report, we are glad you enjoyed our resort and can return some day.

Jack

Wow, I think you "got it" all the way down the line. Thanks for taking the time to summarize your trip. :) Too bad DCA is still in construction wall mode. Glad you see value in coming back and take it all in. I really think DCA is going to emerge as a worthwhile park in its own right.

Did you get a chance to see Fantasmic, WOC or RDCT fireworks? Being there Tue-Fri I am guessing not except for maybe WOC.

Another WDW vet convert. Welcome to the club! I will piggy back Hydroguy's same questions...Did you get to see Fantasmic!, Remember Dreams Come True Fireworks, Aladdin stage show, and isn't It's a Small World amazing? The first time we got to walk into Disneyland (being WDW VETS) my wife and I had goosebumps walking down mainstreet. Just to know that Walt lived and worked in the park. Did you get a chance to walk over to the Disneyland hotel to see all the old photographs?

Congrats on finding Disneyland!

Did you get a chance to see Fantasmic, WOC or RDCT fireworks? Being there Tue-Fri I am guessing not except for maybe WOC.

Although we had our WoC FPs in hand and everything (and had appreciated your detailed information about it!), we decided to skip it. I know -- we definitely missed something special. We've gotten to the point with our Disney experiences where we acknowledge that we do best when we make choices in the moment that work for us, and that when we decide to leave something major, like WoC, on the table, it means that we just have to go back again soon. We'd had a really long day, and we wanted to be at rope drop in the morning, so we took a deep breath and let it go. (Took us 3 or 4 trips before we saw Illuminations at Epcot!) We were sorry that there weren't fireworks while we were there, and we'll definitely need to catch what we hear is a much stronger Fantasmic next time. (The Matterhorn's rehab also means we just have to go back!)

We did, by total chance, see the Soundsational parade, and we caught some of THTMAY at IASW.

BTW, I meant to say this before on the whole castle issue:

Yes, the DL castle is smaller -- but my goodness, it's breathtakingly beautiful! I think the charm of the size is that it's very child-like somehow; it seems scaled to a child's dream of a castle. We certainly love the WDW castle and it's cool how it dominates that end of Main St., but there's something really wonderful about the quietness of the DL castle -- it doesn't scream and shout for attention, but it draws you in in a very warm and endearing way. I couldn't take my eyes off it, and we all loved the walk-through (SO surprised they didn't build in something like it at WDW)

I really enjoyed and agreed with many of your observations!

Totally understand about WOC. We have yet to see it (that will change soon). The last time we were at DL, the night we were going to see it (in January of 2011) we opted to relax at the Grand Californian pool with family before we all headed out early. Hey it was January and our four kids had the entire pool area to themselves and knowing we had several months of winter ahead just made swimming at night all the more inviting! After 35+ Disney trips to DL and WDW, we have learned, you will always have something to look forward to the next trip, that you missed on the last one!

So glad you enjoyed your stay and can appreciate Disneyland for its differences and uniqueness!

We love DL better than WDW. Although California Adventure doesn't seem to have much to it, it really has lots in comparison to the WDW parks.

CA:

Soarin
Goofy's Sky School
Golden Zephyr
Grizzly River Run
California Screamin
Toy Story
It's Tough to be a Bug
Chew Chew Train
Jumpin Jellyfish
King Triton's Carousel
Little Mermaid
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Monster's Inc
Muppet Vision 3D
Silly Symphony Swings
Tuck 'n Roll Drive 'em Buggies
Turtle Talk
Tower of Terror
Aladdin Show
plus a few other things like Animation, and the playground
World of Color

Hollywood Studios

RNR
Star Tours
Tower of Terror
Toy Story
Fantasmic
Stunt Show
Beauty and the Beast
Indiana Jones
Great Movie Ride
Muppets 3D
Little Mermaid
Back Lot Tour
Animation
Playground

Epcot

Soarin
Test Track
The Seas with Nemo
Spaceship Earth
Turtle Talk
Mission Space
Ellen's Energy
films at pavillions
Gran Fiesta
Imagination
Living with the Land
Maelstrom

Animal Kingdom

Everest
Safari
Lion King
Nemo
Kali
Tough to be a Bug
Dinosaur
Primeval Whirl
Triceratops Spin
Conservation Station and other walking trails

We love DL better than WDW. Although California Adventure doesn't seem to have much to it, it really has lots in comparison to the WDW parks.

Oh, you're absolutely right; I think what swings it is the age of your child(ren). Our son is 14, so although we all enjoyed walking through a bug's land, for example, and totally enjoyed the beauty of it, we didn't ride any of the attractions -- they were adorable, but really geared to the younger set (and while we'll sometimes ride attractions meant more for the littles, my son commented that being twice as tall as anyone waiting in line made him feel it was best to not take up the spaces in line that younger kids should get). He adored the Paradise Pier side and Calif. Screamin' is a new favorite. I think once Cars Land is open it will be more of a fit for us -- we'd probably put AK as our next favorite after both Magic Kingdoms just because it suits us as a family on more levels than the current incarnation of DCA, but even so we'd be very happy with a return visit to Anaheim!

[edited to add:]
I also think that all the parks *improve* with the more time you spend at them. People will often complain that AK is a "half-day park" because there's not enough to do, but for us we need at LEAST two full days there each time. Loving a park comes from multiple visits, from learning all the nooks and crannies, and from taking the time to slow down and enjoy everything about it. I am sure that after 4 or 5 DCA visits it would reveal more of itself to us and we'd be more in love with it (again, not that we didn't enjoy it). I guess this is the other piece of the whole *DL vs. WDW* thing -- it really all comes down to simply the place you know best.

Great report, DL is my favorite park out of all the ones I have visted worldwide!

We are converts as well! We moved to the west coast a few years ago and just didn't want to give up our WDW trips. The time and expense started to take it's toll on our vacation budget. We decided to give DL a chance in late 2010. We have been AP holders ever since!

I could have wrote your review. I totally agree with your opinion about CMs. I think DL is mostly younger local folk. WDW seems to attract CMs from all over the US and World.

Glad you had a great time!

Wow.

1. Even though you hear all the time how much smaller DL is, we found that the Magic Kingdom, although on a smaller plot of land, is SO jam-packed with many more attractions and details that the size is only a benefit. (We forgot our pedometers but we know we logged nowhere near our usual 10 to 15 miles per day that we do at WDW; SO much less walking, SO much less time *lost* to transportation between parks/hotel.)

I wore a pedometer and logged 7-10 miles each day at DL.

2. Once in the park (either DL or DCA), you really don't have a sense of the world outside. Oh sure, you can get glimpses of outside hotels when you ride tall attractions, but it's minor and really does not take away from the magic. We surmise that the area around the parks has gone through a lot of updates/upgrades since Walt's day -- we definitely would not describe the area as *seedy,* even though that was the image we had in our minds.

I remember listening to my father-in-law talking about when they built DL in the middle of an orange grove and complaining about it being so far to get there. The locals didn't think "anyone" would drive all the way out there to go to DL.

5. Definitely subjective, but overall we found that the cast members at DL/DCA are certainly nice, but not as nice/friendly/accommodating as at WDW. I'm not complaining, and we had no "bad" experiences, but it was the little things -- no one ever wished us a *magical day,* of the many cast members that we passed during the course of a day (at our hotel, at the parks), it was rare for anyone to make contact with us or say "hello," and many seemed startled that WE said hello to them. And I'm not trying to claim that we've never encountered grumpy/unfriendly cast members in Orlando -- it was just noticeable to us that there was a difference. We wondered if it was a management style difference, or if it somehow had to do with another difference, which was that...

Interesting observation. We were there Apr 15-19 and every cast member talked to my girls. They were wearing "Happy Birthday" buttons - but at waist level and they were always telling them Happy Birthday or hello princess, etc. I was surprised that every cast member (including the trash collectors and maintenance people) we passed noticed and talked to them.

Comments above in purple.

Welcome back!! We felt the exact same way after our trip earlier this year! We hope to get back in the fall!! I miss it so much. Even though we leave for WDW in less than 2 weeks... I'm secretly wishing we were going back to DL!!

OP thanks for your post! I'm a DL vet converted to a WDW lover! Now I'm going back to DL next month, just so I won't get sick of WDW, and I can't wait! I was not really excited...and kind of bored with nothing really to plan. Although, I did make some reservataions for Blue Bayou, WOC dinner package, Goofy's and Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. And still waiting for F! to open up. Love your view of DL! Got me excited even more now! :cool1:

On the issue of CMs, if you take everyone's comments and observations and add them together, I think you find that most of the DLR and WDW CMs are excellent and about equal in quality.

One trend I notice - especially on my first one or two visits to WDW (or DLRP ot TDR) is that you really notice the CMs. Why? One because you are paying more attention. And two because you do not know your way around as well and depend on CMs more.

When I am at DLR I rarely notice CMs unless they are doing a bad job, and I cannot even remember any doing a bad job. At DLR I know my way around and what I want to do and where I want to eat. So I rarely access a CM for that. They are part of the landscape, so to speak.

On my first WDW trip I did not know my way around - the parks, the hotels, the buses, the boats - and had to ask zillions of questions. So my interaction level was much higher than at DLR. On that first trip I could and did conclude that WDW CMs give frequent misinformation and are just not that clued in. Afterwards I decided that I never had to put DLR CMs to that same test because I knew the answers already and just did not interact with them as much.

After several WDW trips the DLR and WDW CMs all seem to me to be of relative equal quality - and that quality is high. Now in Tokyo? Those CMs really, really stand out for excellence.

It's nice to see a WDW person give a true honest review of DLR. Although you wouldn't know it from my name, I am now and always will be a DLR person. I think for me the difference isn't the attractions, the smaller size, or the CMs. It will always be the fact that Walt walked down Main Street, and was physically in Disneyland. That will always be the deciding factor for me.

Don't get me wrong I love both parks, and anything Disney, and I will never say a bad word about any park anywhere. But if I had to pick one, there will always be that special place for THE Disneyland!

Don't get me wrong I love both parks, and anything Disney, and I will never say a bad word about any park anywhere.
If you went to the second gate in Paris - Walt Disney Studios - you might change your mind on this one. :)

Oh -- just to be clear -- there's no question that Disney CMs, whether in FL or CA, provide outstanding service; that difference is a big part of what sets Disney as a whole apart. And as I said, we didn't encounter any CMs in CA who were unpleasant or doing less than a good job. For us, based on just one visit, it was a subtle difference in our eyes -- nothing major, didn't make a negative impact in any way -- but all 3 of us noticed it and we just wondered what it might be. As close as we could come to figuring it out was the local angle; most CMs seemed to be local (based on nametags, which we love to read) and most visitors seemed to be local, so we thought maybe the *regular-ness* of the experience on both sides was the factor -- but hey, our next visit could give us a different perspective (on either park).

Sitting here this morning pricing out visits and dreaming....

Oh -- just to be clear -- there's no question that Disney CMs, whether in FL or CA, provide outstanding service; that difference is a big part of what sets Disney as a whole apart. And as I said, we didn't encounter any CMs in CA who were unpleasant or doing less than a good job. For us, based on just one visit, it was a subtle difference in our eyes -- nothing major, didn't make a negative impact in any way -- but all 3 of us noticed it and we just wondered what it might be. As close as we could come to figuring it out was the local angle; most CMs seemed to be local (based on nametags, which we love to read) and most visitors seemed to be local, so we thought maybe the *regular-ness* of the experience on both sides was the factor -- but hey, our next visit could give us a different perspective (on either park).

Sitting here this morning pricing out visits and dreaming....
I understood your point and observations. I was just adding that I think on a first trip folks naturally tend to be more observant and more, well, needy. Since you plan to return I would be curious what you think after your third visit. After a 3rd trip to WDW I think I just did not see a noticeable difference. But maybe you still will. :)

Wow.
9. Counter Service food was uniformly decent, although we did miss the dining options of WDW. We had a top-5-in-a-lifetime experience at Napa Rose (I plan to post dining reviews/photos later this week), but were underwhelmed by Blue Bayou and Wine Country Trattoria (nothing terrible, but very rushed and not particularly good). We'd love to see them add more table service and better quality (choosing our restaurants at WDW is always a fun and big part of the trip for us). We usually do the dining plan at WDW and found that going plan-less (since it works so differently at DL) worked out great -- the freedom and flexibility may make us go without at WDW on our next trip.

Liked your observations. We have been to WDW several times and are headed back to DL this summer. Do you have any recommendations for counter service that you enjoyed? We are a little unsure how we will be eating since we also do the meal plan at WDW. Did you eat at any of the Downtown Disney restaurants? I would appreciate any insight you can provide.:)

Liked your observations. We have been to WDW several times and are headed back to DL this summer. Do you have any recommendations for counter service that you enjoyed? We are a little unsure how we will be eating since we also do the meal plan at WDW. Did you eat at any of the Downtown Disney restaurants? I would appreciate any insight you can provide.:)

We unfortunately didn't eat at Downtown Disney, although Catal looked as wonderful "in person" as it did online and we'd hoped to try Ralph Brennan's. Someone with direct experience may pipe up, but those both looked terrific.

CS places in DL that were better than we'd expected were Rancho del Zocalo (outdoor seating area was lovely and the overhead awnings provided plenty of shade/got there at about 11:30 and nearly had the place to ourselves/red chile enchilada platter was quite good and citrus fire-grilled chicken, though *slightly* dry, was still flavorful -- both were very hearty servings); Hungry Bear (the top level seating area, if you go to the far left, wasn't crowded even when the front area was/totally shaded and cool, pretty view of Rivers of America/crispy chicken sandwich was good and DH, who hates sweet potatoes, absolutely demolished the sweet potato fries). We hit Tomorrowland Terrace for breakfast one morning and can recommend it -- my breakfast burrito was huge and very good, DS wiped out his french toast, and DH had a lovely fruit platter; everything was much better than we would have expected and was better (in our opinions) than any of the CS breakfasts available at WDW (which we always wish were more widely available).

CS at DCA we tried Taste Pilot's Grill (again, plentiful and shaded outdoor seating, ribs, bbq chicken sandwich, and supersonic salad [cold chicken on top of mixed greens, etc.] were all decent.

In the Grand Californian, we had a late lunch/early dinner on the day we left at Whitewater Snacks -- we each got a cold pre-made selection (although they do offer freshly made hot foods like burgers and nacho platters); I had a tuna sandwich, DS had a chicken caesar, and DH had a turkey sandwich -- everything was very fresh and flavorful.

It really was so lovely NOT to have ADRs for 2 or 3 meals a day, which is our habit at WDW b/c of dining plans -- it made for much more carefree pre-planning (although initially that kind of threw me for a loop since the planning is a big part of the WDW experience), and I avoided the "food coma" feeling I tend to get at WDW.

Have a wonderful trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter