WDW SNAKE BITE - pics of my son's "adventure

I am glad he is Ok ans can laugh about what happened.

Is there precautions that you should take in your hotel room, the though of climbing into bed with a snake has given me nightmares - so much so I am thinking if I am going to feel relaxed enough to go in December (I am booked to go to POFQ from the 18th December to 1st January)

Thanks for reposting your story! I do vaguely remember reading about this a while back, but it had slipped to the back of my mind. Our trip is approaching so I'm glad to have the reminder! Last trip, we did cut through what seemed to be fairly well traveled shortcuts to the parking lot and pool from our room at POR. NEVER AGAIN!!! I just had a talk with my kids about this too. The time saved taking a shortcut certainly isn't worth the risk of a snake bite!

Glad your son is doing fine! What a scary thing to have happen!

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS STORY!!!

Thank God all worked out for you and your family. We will be on the lookout. I never thought about this before. I appreciate you sharing this ordeal with us.

Just wanted to pop in and say I am glad you little guy is ok. That's so scary and something that could happen to anyone:eek: We stay at Pop and the bus driver told us one day to watch if we go down by the hourglass lake-especially at night for gators, but having been a hiker for so long I was usually more watchful for snakes;)

Thanks for sharing to remind others to keep an eye out for Floridas less then friendly wildlife.:thumbsup2

Ok now I am completely freaked out!

From Australia but living in Canada for years so happy in my snake free life here!!

We are staying the the Pop- do I need to worry swimming in the pools there??? Or are they high traffic and not too bad? I imagine if they were bad we would hear about more incidents.
Now I am thinking do I need to check under the sheets before I get into the bed-

Was going for a run in the mornings but might just give that a miss now!!!!!

People saw snakes sitting waiting for the parade at AK???

So I will hold my DD walking around the resort (21 mths) and keep my eyes on the ground just in case.

I hate snakes!!!!

I read your story a while back and DD7 and I just visited WDW recently, everytime we were near grass/ shrubs I warned to to move quickly and stay on the path, no cutting thru...etc, I never would have:) thought of it if u hadnt posted your story, so many thanks to you for posting! Hope your brave son is doing really well!:cloud9::upsidedow

I don't know if Florida has them, but Texas has black snakes. Now I am as afraid of snakes as the next person ( really! ) but I would not kill a black snake ( I would run like heck from it.)

Black snakes are non-posionious and they kill copperheads and other posinious snakes. I was very upset when my neighbor killed the black snake in our firewood stack. The snake even had a baby copperhead in it's mouth. Now I have to worry about even more about copperheads.

Thank you OP! We parents can use all the help we can get keeping our kids safe! I'm so happy your adorable boy is okay!

We live in a surburb called The Woodlands (Dosen't that just scream nature!) in Texas and you can bet we see snakes all the time. I have personally killed 3 copperheads and a coral snake in our backyard, while I've seen DH kill about twice that. We "relocate" the big good snakes to nature areas in our neighborhood and leave the ribbon, rat, and black racers alone. I'm cautious and always let the dogs out with me in the yard, but on vacation you don't think about it. Thanks for the heads up!

So is it better to stay up in the higher rooms 3rd floor for instance at OKW I'm hoping snakes cant get up there??!!

We just returned tonight from a stay at Pop. Thanks to this thread my kids were very conscious of staying out of the landscaping. In fact I think they were a little too scared! They would not get near the edge of the sidewalk and often commented on the "snakes in the bushes"!

We did actually see a snake on hole #2 of the summer side of Winter Summerland Mini-golf. It was slithering around. It was black and about 3-4 ft long and maybe 3" diameter. I told the lady working and she laughed it off as no big deal. Not sure what kind it was. We were up above on the walkway bridge so a safe distance. From there the kids thought it was cool to see! :sad2:

Off to google and see what it was!

ETA: I looked up water moccasin and black racer. The snake I saw was more black and looked like it could have been the racer. Only thing was it was slithering around kind of slowly, not fast at all but it wasn't being bothered either so maybe it was just out for a leisurely afternoon hunt!

It probably was a racer, though I don't blame you for being cautious and letting someone know (they should have at least checked things out!). We have lots of black racers around yards down here in SW Florida and they are harmless, though they can scare you quite a bit!

Thank you soooo much for re-posting this! I immediately showed your pictures to my DS and DD!

This really freaks me out too because last year at the Poly I actually ASKED my son to stand next to a little statue that was surrounded by shrubs for a photo! :eek: AHHHH! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, you have made hundreds of other parents and children aware of this danger with this post!!! So glad your little guy is ok and THANK YOU again!!!!

So is it better to stay up in the higher rooms 3rd floor for instance at OKW I'm hoping snakes cant get up there??!!

Not necessarily. There was a poster a few years ago who posted a picture of a snake in her 4th floor room. It was on the cornice above the curtains.

Earlier in the thread, I posted about my friend's daughter being bitten at CBR. Also, my cousin who is an ER doc saying stay away from the landscaping because snakes love to crawl into the mulch. Oh and spiders love mulch too.

Not necessarily. There was a poster a few years ago who posted a picture of a snake in her 4th floor room. It was on the cornice above the curtains.

Earlier in the thread, I posted about my friend's daughter being bitten at CBR. Also, my cousin who is an ER doc saying stay away from the landscaping because snakes love to crawl into the mulch. Oh and spiders love mulch too.

It was actually IN the room!?!?:scared1: EEEK! I would have freaked! How does a snake get inside the room? Do they fit under the door? Or is it when housekeeping is cleaning and might leave the door open?

Your son is a doll and a trooper!

I know it's just silly of me to say this but we're not very much on our guard while at WDW. I'll be much more aware of wildlife in general going forward.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Wow! Your poor little guy! I'm glad he's okay. But, it was really very nice of you to post your story, so that others can really be more aware of their surroundings.

Very glad to hear that he recovered so well ... scary stuff indeed.

SSB's younger brother was clearing brush in SC and all of a sudden saw a 6 foot diamond back rattler poised to strike ... bit him in the back of the knee. He was luckily with another who eventually got him to location for airlift to city hospital. His leg was the size of a watermelon and had over 40 viles of antivenom used on him while in IC for a week. They are dangerous creatures, for sure.

It was actually IN the room!?!?:scared1: EEEK! I would have freaked! How does a snake get inside the room? Do they fit under the door? Or is it when housekeeping is cleaning and might leave the door open?

if it's the one I'm thinking about, yes it was in the room at Contemporary....my husband and I were talking about it last night and he said someone probably took it to the room? I also remember one at a DVC in the room where the washer and dryer are:scared1:

Thanks again to everyone for your concern and well wishes. He loves seeing this thread and the various posts. His older sister has told him he is a "legend" :thumbsup2

Disneysuncat, where in Ky do you live? We are from Northern KY, just about 12 miles south of Cincy. It's a small world after all.........:rotfl:

Mickeyfamily, We live in Northern Ky too (in Independence). It truly is a small world!!! I don't know about you, but at least in our part of town, we typically only see garter and black snakes - nothing poisonous! How scary to think of something like this happening at Disney. I would have never thought about it before reading this! I have a 2 and a 3 year old and cannot imagine either of them having to endure something like that. How scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter