WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

With the big caveat that this whole post is speculation and he caveats as such, for me it was a useful read as it helped consolidate/simplify much of the news we’ve received this week and some of the things we need to watch out for moving forward. I find myself having to stop and think through what we know/don’t know as there’s just so much info. For now perhaps the biggest unknown is the theme park access part of it.

No need to spend time on this thread with a lot of what if discussion, but just passing along.

With the big caveat that this whole post is speculation and he caveats as such, for me it was a useful read as it helped consolidate/simplify much of the news we’ve received this week and some of the things we need to watch out for moving forward. I find myself having to stop and think through what we know/don’t know as there’s just so much info. For now perhaps the biggest unknown is the theme park access part of it.

No need to spend time on this thread with a lot of what if discussion, but just passing along.

I might have missed it, but did he entirely skip over people with date specific tickets but no room reservation?

I purchased a date specific ticket for October a month ago, but we stay on-site at our timeshare resort. I wonder where we will fall in all this?

I’m getting zero emails from Disney. No surveys, no impacted trip stuff, no cancelling your reservation, no AP pass info. Hello? I’m here, Disney. I’m worried I’m going to miss out on the resort stay / AP reservation for out upcoming trip. So frustrating. :confused3
Never, ever, NEVER rely on Disney email to inform you of things. As you can see from yesterday they updated their website hours before they started sending emails to the AP.
I believe a reservation page will be posted probably mid June or closer to July, it is stalking time, for AP I am stalking these pages
All of their reservation system in the past has been opened hours and sometimes even days before they send any email, leaving people in the dust, sites like the DIS are great because (after reserving for oneself) we come and tell the others
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/ I go to the passholder extras tab on this one

Pirates, food blogs etc are speculating just as much as these boards are. It isn't anyone's fault but Disney. Tell us everything we know about the parks is going to change, make it seem like no one but the few "lucky" ones will get in, then not give us more details. It is making people crazy. I'm not too stressed because I have backup plans if my July trip doesn't work out. I'd just like to know already.

Thanks @GADisneyDad14 for the KTP link! That was a good concise read.

Never, ever, NEVER rely on Disney email to inform you of things. As you can see from yesterday they updated their website hours before they started sending emails to the AP.
I believe a reservation page will be posted probably mid June or closer to July, it is stalking time, for AP I am stalking these pages
All of their reservation system in the past has been opened hours and sometimes even days before they send any email, leaving people in the dust, sites like the DIS are great because (after reserving for oneself) we come and tell the others
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/annual-passes/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/ I go to the passholder extras tab on this one
I'm still waiting for the confirmation email for my canceled May trip that was rebooked for November, LOL. (Since their IT is also often unreliable, I screenshot that reservation in case it gets deleted with other plans.)
For our August trip, I'll be checking this site and MDE regularly for the reservation system for sure!

I’m getting zero emails from Disney. No surveys, no impacted trip stuff, no cancelling your reservation, no AP pass info. Hello? I’m here, Disney. I’m worried I’m going to miss out on the resort stay / AP reservation for out upcoming trip. So frustrating. :confused3

On top of Disney being notorious for lacking email information, Gmail sorted my email into my promotions tab over my primary inbox. I have now switched my gmail settings back to a standard layout with a single inbox to hopefully avoid that going forward.

On top of Disney being notorious for lacking email information, Gmail sorted my email into my promotions tab over my primary inbox. I have now switched my gmail settings back to a standard layout with a single inbox to hopefully avoid that going forward.
I have to figure out how to sort gmail so I see everything! Lol

I might have missed it, but did he entirely skip over people with date specific tickets but no room reservation?

I purchased a date specific ticket for October a month ago, but we stay on-site at our timeshare resort. I wonder where we will fall in all this?
No, you didn't miss it. It wasn't mentioned. We're reserved at an Airbnb and I bought tickets from UT yesterday for the second week of August. We'll see where we "land" in the pecking order.

I agree , when Chapek said if you are lucky to get in ......... that sentence made me book back up plans elsewhere.

FWIW, we’ll probably set up a separate AP preview watch thread at some point here soon.

We’ve had several over the years and we’ll have to figure out the best strategy... keep it open and some people get mad at all the chit chat, lock it and only post when it happens (but that requires one of us mods to be responsible and that’s not all that exciting, we do have lives), last time a group set up some sort of group text thing on a separate platform and then folks got mad when people chit-chatted there too (and technically using the DIS as a platform to link to other chat/messaging platforms flirts with DISBoard rules).

That’s my long winded disclaimer that when it comes to previews - there’s always an element of luck, chance, right place/right time, and personal responsibility to keep an eye towards various ways to be stay informed. It is often a messy situation. We’ll do our best to provide a resource to share/post info, but it’s not perfect.

If you can’t tell, I’m having bad flashbacks from the last preview thread. :goodvibes

FWIW, we’ll probably set up a separate AP preview watch thread at some point here soon.

We’ve had several over the years and we’ll have to figure out the best strategy... keep it open and everyone gets mad at all the chit chat, lock it and only post when it happens (but that requires one of us mods to be responsible and that’s not all that exciting, we do have lives), last time a group set up some sort of group text thing on a separate platform and then everyone got mad when people chit-chatted there too (and technically using the DIS as a platform to link to other chat/messaging platforms flirts with DISBoard rules).

That’s my long winded disclaimer that when it comes to previews - there’s always an element of luck, chance, right place/right time, and personal responsibility to keep an eye towards various ways to be stay informed. It is often a messy situation. We’ll do our best to provide a resource to share/post info, but it’s not perfect.

If you can’t tell, I’m having bad flashbacks from the last preview thread. :goodvibes
I have the same flashbacks , and I'm not a mod! I can't even imagine it from that perspective...

Okay, anyone else notice that the 35% off email says no character dining will be available? I think that's new--right? I never noticed that in the prior emails. I'm a little shocked--I thought they'd do a modified no contact experience with characters making some kind of appearance.

I have the same flashbacks , and I'm not a mod! I can't even imagine it from that perspective...
The preview watch threads are always a bit interesting to watch- much like a train wreck. This one should be particularly good. This only applies if you aren't fighting for a ticket, and due to Disney's inability to have anything go smoothly, are unable to get one.

Okay, anyone else notice that the 35% off email says no character dining will be available? I think that's new--right? I never noticed that in the prior emails. I'm a little shocked--I thought they'd do a modified no contact experience with characters making some kind of appearance.
I honestly think this is best. How to control an excited child (or an adult) from running over to the characters that are on the same level? I can see characters at the train station, castle stage and even some sort of fast "parade like" ride on the omnibus, buut not at the same level.

They really aren't putting a lot of energy into adapting experiences for social distancing. Character dining has several areas that are problematic and could lead to a lot of guests complaining. Doing away with it entirely is the easiest and in this case, probably the best option.

Same here.

We have two room reservations for the same trip. The four tickets for one room now say 9/26/2021. The four tickets for the other room still say 12/15/2020.
I have one better - we have 1 reservation, 4 tickets the date changed to 9/21 but one is still 12/20 :confused3

I have one better - we have 1 reservation, 4 tickets the date changed to 9/21 but one is still 12/20 :confused3

Two more of our 8 tickets have now updated to 9/21, so just two more to go!

If they don't update by October, I'll probably give Disney a call then. I certainly have no desire to be calling Disney anytime in the near future.....

I honestly think this is best. How to control an excited child (or an adult) from running over to the characters that are on the same level? I can see characters at the train station, castle stage and even some sort of fast "parade like" ride on the omnibus, buut not at the same level.

Fair point, although "how to control" difficult guests is always going to be an issue with everything they are planning after reopening--guests who refuse to social distance and bunch up behind someone else in line, guests who pull down their masks. I guess I just assumed they would tell guests no getting out of seats during the show and try to enforce the rules as best as possible like they will do with the other rules, recognizing nothing is foolproof.

We’ve had several over the years and we’ll have to figure out the best strategy... keep it open and some people get mad at all the chit chat, lock it and only post when it happens (but that requires one of us mods to be responsible and that’s not all that exciting, we do have lives), last time a group set up some sort of group text thing on a separate platform and then folks got mad when people chit-chatted there too (and technically using the DIS as a platform to link to other chat/messaging platforms flirts with DISBoard rules).

I remember THAT preview! *shudders* it was still somehow a nice bonding activity in the end, if you look on the bright side of that crazy mess! Hopefully Disney won’t keep us in the dark as much as they did last time. Then again, that’s me making the assumption an AP preview would be before the July 11/15 opening, which isn’t too far away if you think about it logistically.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter