• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I really appreciate this announcement. Any date right now would be a pure guess. So much depends on how well people follow the guidelines and do their best to stay at home (except, of course, for gathering essential groceries, medicines, and performing essential work). If people comply, we can slow down the rate of infection. If they don’t, then it’s going to continue spreading exponentially. Disney has no way of knowing when the infections will slow down. I’ve seen models predicting peaks in May, June, and July. So, while all of our trips are up in the air, this is the correct announcement.

So are they automatically canceling up until a certain date? How are they handling reservations, I wonder.. Like our trip is April 18-23, I'm assuming it's not happening, but not sure how they are handling this

So are they automatically canceling up until a certain date? How are they handling reservations, I wonder.. Like our trip is April 18-23, I'm assuming it's not happening, but not sure how they are handling this

They've updated the "Resort Rooms and Packages" section as follows, but they haven't updated some of the other info such as purchased tickets, etc (although I assume they same policy will continue to apply about extending through 12/15)

Resort Rooms and Packages
To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through June 30, 2020. And soon, we’ll share additional options for booking and modifying vacations. Many reservations can be modified or cancelled online.

If no action is taken by you before your check-in date for arrivals during the closure period, Disney will automatically cancel your reservation within 7 days of the original check-in date and process any refund due to the original form of payment. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines and rental cars, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans, are deducted from refundable amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages.

If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional.

the wording on the site remains almost the same. Like I said I believe they are trying to reopen on the 19th. If the closure continues then you fall under the category of automatic refund or you can reschedule

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the confirmation number for our Oasis patio reservation at the Poly because I have to actually call to cancel that. I never got an email confirmation either. Everything else yes, but not that. Does anyone know if those types of recreation reservations are being automatically refunded as well, with the resorts closed?

I think that anyone holding a reservation for a "dumby vacation" is a person that may have to reschedule.

I'm in that situation. I have a reservation that I plan to use and I have another reservation that I plan to only use if the original is canceled due to Disney World extending it's period of being closed. I was able to book a very good discounted resort rate for my dumby vacation and will not cancel at the moment.
IMO if you're planning on taking one vacation, you should only have one reservation. One of your reservations could be going for someone else.

Edit: I had to cancel and reschedule two trips, and I didn't hold onto one reservation until Disney told me they were closed. I made the decision myself to move the reservation. I rescheduled both trips.

I know it makes sense to not put a date. but man I wish there would be one, even if they have to extend, I just want some hope :(

Just seems like as each day/week passes, everything becomes sadder and sadder.

Just seeing the words until further notice (or basically indefinitely, is just so depressing)
In a way they are saying that they will be closed until at least April 18.

This is kind of unneeded, but I find the changes in the verbiage over time interesting. Nothing particularly earth shattering vs prior published policy (other than the closing until further notice info).

Update on Walt Disney World Resort Operations (from WDW's Website as of 3/27/2020, 4:30 PM). Source: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/
We are focused on the health, safety and wellbeing of our Guests and Cast Members. In line with state and federal guidance, the theme parks and water parks at Walt Disney World Resort are closed from March 16 through the end of the month.

Disney owned-and-operated hotels at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort are closed from Friday, March 20 through the end of the month.

All locations at Disney Springs are temporarily closed.

The safety and well-being of our Guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.

As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice.

The Walt Disney Company will pay its Cast Members during this closure period.

We will continue to stay in regular contact with appropriate officials and health experts.

Below, you’ll find information on impacts to current and upcoming plans. Please continue to check this page back for additional updates. If needed, many reservations can be modified online via My Plans on Disneyworld.com.

We will continue to make adjustments to our operations as appropriate and look forward to welcoming Guests back as soon as it
is advisable.
We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Need to Adjust Your Travel Plans?
If needed, many reservations can be modified online via My Plans. And soon, we’ll share additional options for booking and modifying vacations.

OPERATIONAL UPDATES

Theme Parks & Water Parks

We are focused on the health, safety and wellbeing of our Guests and Cast Members. In line with state and federal guidance, the theme parks and water parks at Walt Disney World Resort are closed from March 16 through the end of the month. The theme parks and water parks at Walt Disney World Resort are temporarily closed until further notice.

Resorts
Disney owned-and-operated hotels at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort are temporarily closed from Friday, March 20 through the end of the month. until further notice.

Additionally, Disney's Vero Beach Resort and Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort are temporarily closed until further notice.

Disney Springs
All locations at Disney Springs are temporarily closed until further notice.

Transportation
All Disney transportation is temporarily unavailable through the end of the month until further notice.

Other Experiences
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex and miniature golf locations at Walt Disney World Resort are temporarily closed from March 16 through the end of the month until further notice.

We will automatically cancel and refund experiences occurring near or adjacent to the theme parks, including fireworks cruises and special dining events, that will not take place during the parks closure. Most Guests with impacted reservations will be notified directly.

Golf and FootGolf operations (other than miniature golf) remain available on their regular schedule.

MODIFICATIONS, CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS

Tickets

Unexpired multi-day theme park tickets with unused days, or date-specific theme park tickets with a valid use period during the period beginning March 12, 2020 through March 31, 2020 the closure will automatically be extended to use any date through December 15, 2020. If you are unable to visit by December 15, 2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date.

Florida Resident Discover Disney Tickets may be used through July 31, 2020.

Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney After Hours, Disney Villains After Hours and Disney Early Morning Magic from March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 the closure will be automatically refunded.

For ticket orders, express shipping and standard shipping may be delayed due to the closure.

Resort Rooms and Packages
Many reservations can be cancelled and rebooked online. To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving all Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through June 30, 2020.

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 5:00 PM, we automatically cancelled reservations of Walt Disney Travel Company Disney Resort hotel packages and Disney Resort hotel room-only reservations booked directly through Disney, for arrivals March 20, 2020 through March 31, 2020.

We will process a refund to the original form of payment if a payment had been made. If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines and rentals cars, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans, are deducted from refundable amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages.

To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through June 30, 2020. And soon, we’ll share additional options for booking and modifying vacations. Many reservations can be modified or cancelled online.

If no action is taken by you before your check-in date for arrivals during the closure period, Disney will automatically cancel your reservation within 7 days of the original check-in date and process any refund due to the original form of payment. Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines and rental cars, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans, are deducted from refundable amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages.

If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional.

Annual Passes
All active Walt Disney World Annual Passes will be extended for the number of days the parks are closed.

Annual Passes with renewal windows ending during the closure will also receive an extension of time to renew.

For Passholders participating in the Annual Pass Monthly Payment program, your monthly payments will continue as scheduled.

Over the coming weeks, Annual Pass details in My Disney Experience will be updated to reflect new pass usage information.

Pass blockout and admission calendars will not be updated during the closure period. Please visit this page for the most updated details.

Dining & Other Experiences
All pre-paid dining and experience reservations impacted by the park closure will be automatically refunded if scheduled between March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 the closure period.

Reservations made at locations impacted by the closure will not be charged a cancellation or no-show fee.

All active Tables in Wonderland members will be extended by the number of days the parks are closed.

Groups
If you’re coming to Walt Disney World Resort as part of a meeting, convention, youth program, wedding or other group or celebration, and you have questions about your plans during the closure period, please consult with the organizer of your group or event.

FastPass+
All FastPass+ reservations scheduled for March 16, 2020 through March 31, 2020 the closure period when parks are closed will be automatically cancelled.

MagicBands
If you have placed an order and received notification that your MagicBands have already been shipped to your home, you will still receive your order.

If you have arranged for your upgraded MagicBands to be delivered to you at your Disney Resort hotel for an arrival date between from March 20 and March 31, 2020 through the closure period, your order will be automatically cancelled and you will receive a refund of the amount you paid for the MagicBands.

While the Walt Disney World theme parks and Resort hotels are temporarily closed, we are not currently accepting new MagicBand orders linked to Walt Disney World Annual Passholders or Disney Resort hotel reservations. If you have a scheduled Resort hotel arrival date after March 31, 2020, please check back later for updates.

Last edited:
This is somewhat interesting. As of earlier today, you could book rooms starting on April 1. Now they have pushed the booking date to April 6. Obviously April 6 is far to early to anticipate an opening, but they are currently still accepting new bookings as of this date. I would think eventually this first booking date would be an indication of the earliest they are anticipating something opening..

This is somewhat interesting. As of earlier today, you could book rooms starting on April 1. Now they have pushed the booking date to April 6. Obviously April 6 is far to early to anticipate an opening, but they are currently still accepting new bookings as of this date. I would think eventually this first booking date would be an indication of the earliest they are anticipating something opening..
We'll know for sure next week when the cm schedule comes out

People who have already cancelled. I didn’t want to tie up the phone lines but cancelled our end of April trip, along with all dining and fast passes online. Will I automatically get a refund for Cinderella’s Royal Table and the Early Morning Magic tickets? What’s the timeframe on the refunds? My heart hurts. :(

People who have already cancelled. I didn’t want to tie up the phone lines but cancelled our end of April trip, along with all dining and fast passes online. Will I automatically get a refund for Cinderella’s Royal Table and the Early Morning Magic tickets? What’s the timeframe on the refunds? My heart hurts. :(
I had to cancel a trip a couple years ago due to Influenza and it took about 5 days to get a refund on CRT and EMM. It’s hard...so sorry :(

You will only automatically get a refund for CRT and EMM if the park is still closed on the dates those are scheduled. I would highly recommend going into MDE and cancelling CRT and EMM now to get the refund processed ASAP. I cancelled our trip that was supposed to take place last week on March 12 and the refund showed up on my CC two days later. I'm still waiting for the Disney Rewards points I used toward our package to be refunded, however :(

The exact timing depends more on your credit card company/bank than Disney, but mine are usually in the 3-6 day range for things like that.

But as PP notes, easy to go online and cancel those two things right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter