Waterparks in the 50s

MalkaR

Mouseketeer
Blizzard Beach is open the last week of Jan/Feb, when temperatures are forecast to be in the 50s. Do enough people really go to a waterpark in those temps to make it worth it for them to keep it open? Rhetorical question, I guess, but I doubt we'll even be able to get in the pool.

My husband and I went to Typhoon Lagoon one January weekday when it was overcast and windy with highs in the upper 60s. It was before we had kids, and we're from the northeast so we're used to the cold. At lunch, the CMs told us that there were less than 50 people in the park and they were considering closing. We stayed until mid-afternoon and then left. The water was fairly warm and it was awesome having the park to ourselves, but we were chilled by the end of the day due to all the walking around. I'm glad we had that experience then. Wouldn't want to do that with my small children.

Blizzard Beach is open the last week of Jan/Feb, when temperatures are forecast to be in the 50s. Do enough people really go to a waterpark in those temps to make it worth it for them to keep it open? Rhetorical question, I guess, but I doubt we'll even be able to get in the pool.
Out of curiosity, which forecast are you looking at? The most accurate - and indeed, the only ones to look at - are the ones released within a day or two of the actual date involved.

There's almost no way to predict with certainty that the temps will only be in the 50s 12 days from now.

We were there November 2015, just before thanksgiving and the day we had planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon it was in the high 50's/low 60's so they didn't open. It was a major bummer for us. It didn't show up as going to be closed on the app until the day before...not a whole lot of time for us to adjust our plans. ☹️

We were there November 2015, just before thanksgiving and the day we had planned to go to Typhoon Lagoon it was in the high 50's/low 60's so they didn't open. It was a major bummer for us. It didn't show up as going to be closed on the app until the day before...not a whole lot of time for us to adjust our plans. ☹️

I'm a northerner, but I certainly wouldn't be swimming in Florida in the high 50's.

The most accurate - and indeed, the only ones to look at - are the ones released within a day or two of the actual date involved.

I agree. I think anything further that 3 days in advance you're looking more at historical data than actual predictions based on current weather patterns. If you're going to WDW during that time , you could always throw the swim suits in the luggage just in case, they don't take up much room. :earsboy:

Any time you plan to go to the water parks during cooler months you need a backup plan. They know what has been mentioned above, that temperature forecasts can change quite a bit more than a few days out, and are not going to close until they are sure what the weather will be. Be well aware that it may be Florida but it is still Winter and make sure your plans are flexible.

I've been to water parks twice where the temps were far lower than what this Floridian finds comfortable.I think once to Blizzard beach where it was in the 50s in the AM and only hit like 72 degrees,I was freezing whenever I wasn't in the sun.I also went one day to Adventure island in Tampa and the high was like 77,also somewhat too cool for me.

Any time you plan to go to the water parks during cooler months you need a backup plan. They know what has been mentioned above, that temperature forecasts can change quite a bit more than a few days out, and are not going to close until they are sure what the weather will be. Be well aware that it may be Florida but it is still Winter and make sure your plans are flexible.

Yup, always back up plan. Here's an anecdote for y'all. I just visited DW the first week of January. We tentatively planned a BB day on Saturday the 7th. Two weeks out forecast looked promising; high 70's/low 80's. One week out it changed to the 60's. Hmmmm. Day of? The high for the day was right around 50 with a nice cold rain.

The other day I went to Aquatica when it was about 80F outside. In the water, it was fine, but walking around was a bit chilly, especially in the shade. I wouldn't do a water park in any cooler temps than that, especially if it was breezy and/or overcast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter