Water Rides January?

bunsbuns

Earning My Ears
I'll be in WDW the first week of January and have only ever gone to Disney in the summer. Does anyone have thoughts on how to handle the "water rides" in potentially cool weather? I'm wondering about rides like Splash Mountain, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, boat rides like Jungle Safari, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc (not the water park).

I'm asking because I'm setting up fast pass and reserving rides. Right now, I'm thinking of skipping Aladdin and Splash Mountain all together. I did get fast pass for Pirates and the Jungle Safari, though. Splash Mountain if the one I'm most unsure about, because I'm not sure how feasible it would be to stay dry with a winter coat on for example. My DH is already trying to veto that ride just based on the fact that it has, "splash" in the name lol. TIA!

I've never gotten wet on aladdin. splash is really not bad. ride it in the afternoon if need be. Pirates shouldn't be an issue but when they changed boats sometimes people did get wet. not sure if they fixed that yet. other than kali river I'd ride any of them. but then I live up north a may have a different idea of what cold is.

I suggest you do as you have done and do not schedule FP+ for wet rides. The weather in January could be warm, it could be cold -- no way to know in advance. You will probably be able to ride Splash Mountain without too much of a line. Your FP+ is better used for other attractions. Chances are the lines for water rides will be short.

I've never gotten wet on aladdin. splash is really not bad. ride it in the afternoon if need be. Pirates shouldn't be an issue but when they changed boats sometimes people did get wet. not sure if they fixed that yet. other than kali river I'd ride any of them. but then I live up north a may have a different idea of what cold is.
Thanks! Actually thought that Splash Mountain would get more wet than Pirates.

Also jungle safari will not get you wet.
Good to know. 'Tis a favorite of mine.

I suggest you do as you have done and do not schedule FP+ for wet rides. The weather in January could be warm, it could be cold -- no way to know in advance. You will probably be able to ride Splash Mountain without too much of a line. Your FP+ is better used for other attractions. Chances are the lines for water rides will be short.
Yeah, my strategy is to play it by ear for some of those rides, and either edit my fast pass last-minute or try to ride sans the fast pass. Thanks for feedback. Hopefully it will be in the 70s+ and this will all be moot :)

Splash wait times should not be bad in January, so you could skip the FP for it and just ride standby if you feel like it. It's one of my favorites, so I ride it no matter the weather. When it's cooler, request to be in the back of the boat. I find you get less of the splash there. I have never found myself soaked after riding in winter. I'm assuming "jungle safari" is the Jungle Cruise. While this is a ride on a boat, you won't get wet. I've also never gotten wet on Pirates, other than maybe a tiny splash on the drop (though others swear they've gotten soaked). I would ride it in winter without hesitation.

Personally, I wouldn't schedule a FP for Splash in January. I'm surprised its even open...usually it has a refurb in January. I've gotten completely soaked on Splash before (when the temperature was warm). I've also been to Disney in January twice. The warmest it ever got was 72, I think, and there were days when the temp was in the 50s. It could be warmer or colder than that as well. I wouldn't have wanted to be walking around soaking wet in 55 degree weather, personally.

We've gone in January and still ride everything that we normally do (including Splash, we never think abut Jungle Cruise or Pirates as something we get wet on since it's so minimal if it happens). We always wear ponchos on Splash and Kali, even in the summer. I don't like walking around with wet pants all day!

What is jungle safari?

Anyways, I've gone the last two year during the first week of January and will be there again this year.

Kali usually is and will be closed in January for refurb. Unless the temperature is 70+ I wouldn't recommend going on that anyways because you are going to get soaked. Splash I have done in January and haven't had much of a problem. I don't think there is really anything else you need to worry about. Pirates you might get a little splash but I've never been soaked on that, they seem to have figured out the boat flooding issues.

I'm going to muster up courage and put on a poncho and try Splash Mountain for the first time this coming January. It is usually closed most Januarys. Is it just the part of going downhill that is the splash part?

We will also be there in Jan and are planning to ride Splash right before we leave MK so if we get wet it's only a short time before we get to the hotel and change into warm dry pjs. Kali will be closed the day we will be at AK.

They can dial back the amount of "splash" on Splash Mountain. Unless the log is unfortunately loaded (I find heavy in front light in back means more splash) alot of the wet actually comes from jets and rivers/trickles of water that run down the sides of the attraction and can hit you while in the boat. So they can turn those down so you get less wet. Kali is really the only ride they can't dial it back on, I would avoid that in Jan if it is even open. Much like Splash it seems to usually have refrubs during Jan.

Good to know about the fastpass. I'll look and see if I can change it to something else (will be there Jan. 31st.)

I have ridden the beginning of January and like was said, the amount of splash on splash mountain is much less than what it is in July. I would suggest if you want to ride Kali you do it right before you leave the parks if it is cold so you can leave and get back to your hotel to change. There are lockers if I recall at the entrance to AK so you could put a towel in there, or carry a towel in a bag with you, a dry sweatshirt, or even a quick change of clothes..although that may be cumbersome.

Sorry all! I meant jungle cruise lol.

I don't think Kali is open when I'm there, but I'll double check. I think that's one I'll avoid for sure unless I go with the suggestion of riding last right before leaving the park.

Also good to know that splash mountain can turn down its jets. I might do a walk by and see how wet the people getting off the ride look :)

Thanks all.

There are lockers if I recall at the entrance to AK so you could put a towel in there, or carry a towel in a bag with you, a dry sweatshirt, or even a quick change of clothes..although that may be cumbersome.
Yeah, I think it will depend on the weather because we won't have a change of winter coat.

I'm looking forward to riding all the rides when we go at the end of January-Early February. It's literally -4 here today, so 50 degrees as a low will be easy for us LOL

I've been in early Feb multiple times and had cool (one day was 34 so COLD weather) and we rode Splash. They turn off the jets when its cold so you are not as likely to get wet. We rode like 6x last Feb. and didn't get wet once. There is a chance you will as someone said bc of weight in the boat but I would say your chances of getting soaked are not as high as in the summer months when the jets are turned on.

There are lockers just outside Kali, too, but unless it's 80+ and you enjoy getting wet, a towel isn't going to fix what Kali can do to soak you.

I think the only two concerns are splash and kali. We have many January trips under our belt and always do splash and never do Kali. We sometimes get a little wet on splash but one year we got pretty wet. It was cold and it meant an extra trip back to the room for a change. We tried doing Kali with ponchos year ago and still got soaked every single time. The others are a non issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter