Water Parks for Adults and Non-Swimmers

bryanb

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a guys trip to Disney World next spring, all adults. Most of the trip will be spontaneous, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting the water parks ticket add-on.

I've never been to either water park, but one of my friends wants to check them out. A few questions:

1. Are they fun for adults without kids? I've seen some of the promotional videos and see there are a couple of extreme slides for thrill-seekers. We're all in our mid-20s. Will it be less fun (or even weird) for us to be hanging out in a family swimming place?

2. Assuming we go, do you need to know how to swim? One person hasn't learned to swim, and I don't think he's going to want to wear a life vest around the park. Are most of the waters pretty shallow for an adult?

Thanks all

1> Yes. You'll probably want to choose Blizzard Beach over Typhoon Lagoon as it has more "thrill" slides and rides. Although you'll definitely see more families there (because it's Disney) it still felt like a typical water park crowd to me.

2> So long as they can keep themselves afloat for a short matter of time they should be fine. Most of the water slides end in a moderately deep pool for "splash down" but quickly level out to being walkable. The lazy rivers are about 4' deep and the only real problem would be the deeper part of the wave pool and even then I don't think the water was normally more than 6' deep - the waves will make it "deeper" though

How many hours would you say each of the water parks are good for enjoying? I'm thinking that each one is a "half day" park. But maybe even that's too much time and they're good for 2-3 hours between visits to other parks?

Thanks Skywise, that's really helpful advice.

Non swimmer here and the wave pool and lazy river plus a little lounge and sunning time keeps me there 4-5 hours. Very enjoyable experience!

I've been to both BB and TL many times as an "adult" with family (teen kids), and enjoyed both parks. Even without kids, I think adults only could have fun too. There is plenty of "people-watching" and plenty to do as an adult. Personally, I like to keep the water parks as a half-day event...usually 11AM to 5PM, then back to the resort to clean up for dinner and on to a park for the evening.

I prefer TL as it seems a little more laid back than BB, but that's probably because of the "thrills" draw of BB. There are bars at both parks so you can enjoy an adult beverage too. Don't tell anyone, but I was able to bring in some of my own libations in a backpack with no challenge....and since we're all adults in a family place we imbibe with moderation, right. ;)

As for your friend who does not swim, as long as he is at least 5' tall he should be able to stand with head above water in any attraction except the wave pool. I would advise he stay in water that does not rise higher than his waist. I've seen far too many folks in trouble when they are chest deep and a wave rolls in...the panic in their eyes when they lose their footing rivals Tower of Terror! Also, the lazy river can be a challenge for a non-swimmer who is short. You can jump on an inner tube from the steps, but if you fall off at some point a short person can find themselves chest deep in water trying to "walk" to the next set of steps to get out our back into their inner tube.

Adult non-swimmer without kids here. I went to Blizzard Beach on my recent trip, but I wish I'd skipped it. I thought I could carry my waterproof bag of stuff with me and wouldn't need a locker, so I didn't bring money with me. It turned out the only attraction they let people ride with a bag is the lazy river, so I didn't get to do anything else. Ended up being a total waste of an afternoon. By the way, they say their lazy river is only two and a half feet deep all around -- unlike Stormalong Bay's which has parts that are eight feet deep, and I'm not sure the depth of the Typhoon Lagoon one. Not meaning to be at all negative, but with all the things to do at WDW, I'd choose something other than the waterparks next time. YMMV.

I went to Blizzard Beach on my solo trip last May, from opening until about 1:00. It was my last day and the ME bus was coming that afternoon to take me to the airport. I had old non-expiring tickets though, I'm not sure I would add the option to your tickets for one day. I did have a great time, rode a lot of slides, enjoyed the pool and lazy river, and was sore the next few days from climbing all the steps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter