Watching the tropics... again (aka Irma)

Honesty, I would be surprised if they close the parks but definitely keep on eye on the 10th. If it starts to get messy for Disney this would be the day.

We still have literally no idea where or if it's gonna hit. Your daughter's birthday could easily go off without a hitch. By the time you fly in you'll have a much better understanding.

If possible, maybe make similar ADRs (if still possible) on Saturday as well?
I wouldn't be surprised especially after Matthew. The parks closed for it because Orange County Sherrif's Department ordered a complete curfew with no one allowed on the roads, including those at WDW. Disney, and all others, couldn't staff the parks because of that. It's not just the weather effects that can close the parks.

I think you never know where these hurricanes are going to go. If you can get into Disney meaning no flight cancellations or such you will be fine. You will pretty safe there and they really try to make sure everyone has a good time even if the parks have to close. They provide characters, activities and good meals to help if you are stuck at the resort.
Now missing planned parties because of bad weather is a bummer

We were at Boardwalk for Matthew last year and there were enough food opportunities. You could walk throughout the building and all but this year, we are staying at OKW which are all separate outside buildings. Not sure how they will do food for the guest there. Saratoga as well...

Wish I knew which day it is going to hit! We're scheduled to fly in on Sunday (leave ~10, arrive ~2:30). I've even been thinking about calling DVC Member Services to see if we could add day(s) & come in early, but with my luck, I would change it to the day Irma hits. I've spent 100+ hours doing detailed touring plans, etc. and the thought of all that being crushed, missing MNSSHP on the 12th & DVC Animal Kingdom event on the 13th (surely not!) just makes me feel sick. I'm not at all a worrier, but I am an uber planner, so this is pushing all my buttons. This trip is to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and I really wanted it to go well. :scared::worried::(

Wish I knew which day it is going to hit! We're scheduled to fly in on Sunday (leave ~10, arrive ~2:30). I've even been thinking about calling DVC Member Services to see if we could add day(s) & come in early, but with my luck, I would change it to the day Irma hits. I've spent 100+ hours doing detailed touring plans, etc. and the thought of all that being crushed, missing MNSSHP on the 12th & DVC Animal Kingdom event on the 13th (surely not!) just makes me feel sick. I'm not at all a worrier, but I am an uber planner, so this is pushing all my buttons. This trip is to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and I really wanted it to go well. :scared::worried::(
pixiedust:

I totally understand as we are in a similar situation. All the plans, ADRs, Halloween party on the 10th, we are stressed and just don't know what to do. I'm already mourning our carefully made plans being all messed up. That on top of the general worry for us and everyone dealing with the hurricane.

I am sick because it seems like a decision should be made already. Irma is a Cat 5 storm that means all the ports of call for the fantasy leaving September 9th are going to get pummeled. I am supposed to fly in 12:07 am on the 9th.

We are scheduled to be there Sunday 9/10 through Friday 9/16 :( We are driving from Ohio. No flights or MNSSHP tix to worry about, but very carefully mapped out everyday with FP+ and ADR's. I've spent hours and hours on this. Considering changing our vacation dates to another time to avoid any threat. Sounds like we could miss 2 maybe 3 days of our 6 days if this thing hits directly. This is a once in a lifetime trip for our family, and I don't want to spend any of it stuck in our resort room. Go away Irma!

I would not want to be flying in on the 10th - chances are those flights will be canceled as the H is supposed to hit sometime Sunday. I would try to fly in on Sat and stay off site. I have already looked through DVC and nothing is available - of course, that might open up in the next few days (hoping because I would rather be at OKW where I can just stay in the same room until the storm blows over. We are supposed to arrive on Sunday but those rooms could potentially not be ready until 5p or later. And if they have to accommodate guest already staying there, we may be shipped to another resort (not dvc of course) for that night.

We are scheduled to be there Sunday 9/10 through Friday 9/16 :( We are driving from Ohio. No flights or MNSSHP tix to worry about, but very carefully mapped out everyday with FP+ and ADR's. I've spent hours and hours on this. Considering changing our vacation dates to another time to avoid any threat. Sounds like we could miss 2 maybe 3 days of our 6 days if this thing hits directly. This is a once in a lifetime trip for our family, and I don't want to spend any of it stuck in our resort room. Go away Irma!
Chances are you will miss only Sunday. If there is a direct pass over, then maybe Monday if there is a lot of wind damage. Disney seems to be really good at getting everything back on track quickly. This is such a hard decision. We ended up keeping our trip last year and it worked out for us but I am a lot more worried about IRMA. It is looking like it is just going to go straight up FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter