Washington DC trip Need help..

We went last year in June and it was hot. However, we did tour the Smithsonian museums, walked around the monuments, and by the White House. We also went to Madame Tussaud's which was nice, but expensive; having seen it now I don't think we would go again. Traffic was insane, but we had stayed at a hotel in Rockville and rode the Metro into the city. We also dedicated a morning/afternoon to the zoo and rode the Metro there also. The walk wasn't bad.

There is so much to do for free that if this is your first trip I would stick to the free museums.
If it is baseball season, check out the Nationals. The racing presidents are a lot of fun, the view of the city is cool, and you can often get cheap tickets. You can get there by metro.
If you don't have a good zoo nearby, the National Zoo is a good one. It is free (but they charge you to park)
In my experience, my kids never wanted to do more than a few hours at a museum at a time, so you might want to plan museums in the AM and then do something else in the pm
The memorials are all worth a visit, lots of walking to see them all.
If you want to do the paddle boats, you can reserve them online - but only for timeslots before noon.

Everyone knows about the Cherry Blossom Festival in March/April and the summer concerts. But for anyone coming in May, that is also a big month of events for the international embassy community - lots of fun activities put out from all of the different countries. http://www.culturaltourismdc.org/portal/passport-dc1

Now, if anyone is not about "big" events and wants a quieter time to come to DC, coming from post Labor Day-Nov will be quieter and with beautiful weather and coming from Jan-Feb (especially weekdays) will give you practically empty attractions (of course, you then have to deal with the weather).

I was just there late September / Beginning of October. #1 piece of advice, do not stay at the Sheraton Pentagon City. We had to change rooms three times, ended up with a lot of comp stuff. It's in bad shape!

I'd recommend metro passes. Made it so easy to get around. Also look on Groupon for a hop on/ hop off tour. Ours included a night tour of the monuments and was a highlight!

Also,

We were able to do a white house tour. Incredible experience to check off the bucket list. My friend booked it thru her congressman. We also visited Washingtons Estate. I had been before but they hadn't. We took the metro and connected to a bus. For souvenirs look for the little sidewalk popup booths. Same merchandise but way cheaper.

Arlington Cemetery I'd recommend the tram tour.

Also for others going definitely check out the Pentagon 9/11 memorial. Very touching and a good way to see the building.

I went to DC two summers in a row in the mid '90's. Some favorite things that I haven't seen mentioned are the National Portrait Gallery, Botanical Gardens, and the Philips collection art gallery. Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party is housed there and it is breathtaking in person.

I've been following this thread, but haven't had time to reply yet.

We have done DC twice, and both times we went in early October. The weather was beautiful, even on the last trip when we were worried about Hurricane Matthew.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Hotel in the Chevy Chase Pavillion, which is a small shopping mall with a Cheesecake factory, CVS Pharmacy, and other shops. It is on the metro (the Friendship Heights Red Line Shady Grove Metro Station is downstairs)

All Embassy Suites Hotels have a free hot breakfast, including an Omelet station (and we like the manager's reception, too!)

As far as activities, if it is your first time visiting, so many museums are free, it would be good to get the most bang for your buck by trying to see those.

The National Museum of African American History & Culture is very popular and obtaining timed passes online are recommended.

We were able to do a Capitol Tour this last trip which was also free.

We had a group of 11, including 5 teens/pre-teens, and were able to handle the metro/walking well. We are from a city without a lot of public transportation. The kids really liked navigating the metro.

Here is our itinerary- gives an idea of how you can fit things in.
Day 1-
Lincoln Memorial
WW2 Memorial
Ouside of Washington Monument, also White house pics from north side of monument
after lunch:
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Day 2-
US Capitol Tour
They let us go through the tunnel to the Library of Congress because it was a federal holiday.
after lunch:
Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and
Museum of American History

Day 3-
National Archives
Ford's Theater
Close up Whitehouse views
(all in morning- we drove from here to NYC for the rest of our trip)

Has anyone been to Monticello? When I visit my friend in May we want to do something outside of DC that neither of us have done. This is the top of the list. Any other ideas would be good too. She's lived back there for several years so she's done most of what I would want to do, like Hershey or Gettysburg. We are doing the air and space museum by Dulles before my flight home.

Has anyone been to Monticello? When I visit my friend in May we want to do something outside of DC that neither of us have done. This is the top of the list. Any other ideas would be good too. She's lived back there for several years so she's done most of what I would want to do, like Hershey or Gettysburg. We are doing the air and space museum by Dulles before my flight home.

We did coming back from DC.

There is a fee since like Mt Vernon its not run by the US parks department. You park "off site" and then take a shuttle to the grounds.

Its not near as big as Mt Vernon but as I recall there was structured the house tour and then you did a self walking tours of the grounds.

Also realize its about 120 miles away from DC.

We did coming back from DC.

There is a fee since like Mt Vernon its not run by the US parks department. You park "off site" and then take a shuttle to the grounds.

Its not near as big as Mt Vernon but as I recall there was structured the house tour and then you did a self walking tours of the grounds.

Also realize its about 120 miles away from DC.

My friend lives in Leesburg, VA and has a car. We're aware of how far, the cost etc. Curious if it's interesting enough.

This is my 4th trip to DC and I'll take the metro into the city for the day while she works so I'm knocking out the last of my to dos and repeating a couple because of new stuff and having not visted them in 7 years. This is also why we want something new to both of us though I do kind of want to go to Hershey. Falling Water is a bit too far from her for a day trip so we'll do that next time I'm out.

My friend lives in Leesburg, VA and has a car. We're aware of how far, the cost etc. Curious if it's interesting enough.

I would say its about "half" as interesting as Mt Vernon. Mt Vernon has the building itself, the grounds that can include various demonstrations going on including the 16 sided barn and a new huge museum.

At Monticello you get a tour of the house and I think the basement*. There is a farm but all I recall is plots of land.

This is also why we want something new to both of us though I do kind of want to go to Hershey. Falling Water is a bit too far from her for a day trip so we'll do that next time I'm out.

Wow those are pretty far away. Fallingwater is a day trip for me from Pittsburgh but from DC its 3 to 4 hours. Not sure if your plan is Hershey park but for an amusement park I would want a full day.

What about Baltimore?

* You know where Nick Cage kidnapped the president buy going through a secret passage. ;)

Last edited:
I'm going to respectfully disagree with chartle, I prefer Monticello to Mt Vernon. The setting of Mt Vernon is spectacular on the banks of the Potomac. But the house itself and outbuildings are quite similar to what we've seen elsewhere, like Williamsburg and a few of the estates on the James River. To me what sets Monticello apart is the house and all the innovations. Jefferson was such a fascinating man and the house reflects that. Not a simple gentleman farmer at all. If you like that kind of thing, I think it's worth it. The grounds are nice and should be good in May. Probably too late for azaleas but rhododendrons may be in bloom. Plus it's a nice drive. Allow time to drive around UVa and see the Rotunda, and Charlottesville is a nice college town. I'd advise you to check UVa's graduation schedule and avoid the area then, traffic won't be fun. Maybe check out the Monticello website and see what you think.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with chartle, I prefer Monticello to Mt Vernon. The setting of Mt Vernon is spectacular on the banks of the Potomac. But the house itself and outbuildings are quite similar to what we've seen elsewhere, like Williamsburg and a few of the estates on the James River. To me what sets Monticello apart is the house and all the innovations. Jefferson was such a fascinating man and the house reflects that. Not a simple gentleman farmer at all. If you like that kind of thing, I think it's worth it. The grounds are nice and should be good in May. Probably too late for azaleas but rhododendrons may be in bloom. Plus it's a nice drive. Allow time to drive around UVa and see the Rotunda, and Charlottesville is a nice college town. I'd advise you to check UVa's graduation schedule and avoid the area then, traffic won't be fun. Maybe check out the Monticello website and see what you think.

Thank you for the tips! It would be Memorial Day weekend Saturday, but I graduated from college that Saturday so I will double check. We have rhodi's in our front yard and all over. I live near Seattle and it's our state flower :)

I do need to look at the website a bit more. It's also good to know it's near Charlottesville, that could be interesting too.

I spent 12 days in DC last July. It was phenomenal, save for the weather that was so bad on 4th of July that they had to use footage from past years on the nationwide broadcast of a Capitol Fourth. Whoops. Keep in mind that I'm a history major with a focus in American History. Washington, DC is my all-time favourite destination - with Boston as a close second.

1. Go to the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian when you are hungry on the Mall. It's the best food, by far, you will have anywhere on the Mall, in my humble opinion. The food trucks are a close second. I've eaten at the National Art Gallery, most of the museums, and several dodgy hot dog carts/street vendors. The Museum of the American Indian has a food court organized by regional tribal cuisine, and it's beautifully prepared. VERY good. All the other museums have the exact same boring fare as any other.

2. Schedule your tours now. All of the ones you think you might want, and do it through your congressional representative so you get the better tours. The White House tours come in about three weeks before your trip, so don't be spooked by that.

3. There's a Circulator bus that does the Mall, and it's a dollar each trip. Load a Smart Trip card at Union station or another of the Metro Stations and you can use that for your fares. Very easy. If you're going to ride the Metro, get the week pass and don't worry about it, but check the fine print to make sure it covers the Circulator.

4. I stayed at the Marriott Marquis, which is the hotel connected to the Convention Center and is within easy walking distance to a Metro station with a short trip to the Mall. Do it. The JW Marriott was very nice when I wasn't on my own budget, but I would never have stayed there on my own budget.

5. (Admins, this may be verboten but I'm not sure) I scheduled a class with the REI Outdoor School to paddle in a kayak on a sunset tour of the monuments down the Potomac. SO COOL!!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat. There's some good storytelling there, and you kayak from the little park at the end of the Reagan runway down to the Kennedy Center, eat dinner at the monument to the merchant marine, and then paddle back. It's amazing!!! You also get to see the side of the Pentagon, and they do a little talking about 9/11 as part of it.

6. Fly into Reagan. Way better than Dulles. But make time to go out to the Udvar-Hazy Center because the display of aircraft out there is ridiculously impressive. I was awestruck standing in the room with the space shuttle in front of me and the Enola Gay (dropped the H-Bomb on Hiroshima) in the other room.

7. Sweet Georgia Browns is off of Lafayette Square, and DELICIOUS food. Try to find time to go to Old Ebbits while you're at it, because you can just imagine the presidential hands that have been on those railings over the hundreds of years... Many deals were done there. And if you're over on the really sketchy area near the Convention Center, check out Busboys and Poets. It's a "third place" that has got to be VERY interesting right now given the current political climate there - and it's dedicated to Langston Hughes.

8. I loved the National Archives Charters of Freedom exhibition. It was this incredibly reverent experience of gazing upon the very documents of revolution, freedom, and resilience that founded our country. People risked their lives in signing them, and that fact is not lost in the room. The power of that exhibit is unbelievable.

9. The other places I loved, in no particular order are: The National Cathedral - WHOA! SO MANY side chapels and an incredibly beautiful place; The National Zoo - Quick trip to see the Pandas, along with the Cathedral; Free Concerts at Kennedy Center, every night at 6pm, and always a good show; The FDR Memorial and the MLK Memorial - Seldom traveled, and as the newer memorials on the Mall, quite thought-provoking; The Star Spangled Banner at the Museum of American History;

10. If you want to go to the top of the Washington Monument, the tickets are first come, first serve, and the line starts early. VERY early.

And get a National Parks Passport before you go - there are LOTS of stamps to be had for it!! If you're taking the kids, they'll love it. I walked my stinkin' feet off while I was there, and was all by myself so I had nobody to answer to but myself, and it was awesome.

My oldest daughter and I went last spring break-cherry trees started blooming at end of week before we left!

1. Go to the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian when you are hungry on the Mall. It's the best food, by far, you will have anywhere on the Mall, in my humble opinion. The food trucks are a close second. I've eaten at the National Art Gallery, most of the museums, and several dodgy hot dog carts/street vendors. The Museum of the American Indian has a food court organized by regional tribal cuisine, and it's beautifully prepared. VERY good. All the other museums have the exact same boring fare as any other.
One of the best tips anywhere that I read before we went. The Museum itself is pretty cool too, but the food is excellent. We also did the food trucks a block over from Air and Space one day-my DD had tacos and people who worked there were literally coming up to her as she was eating saying "is that -----tacos? truck is here today?" Can't remember name now but obviously a local favorite!

3. There's a Circulator bus that does the Mall, and it's a dollar each trip. Load a Smart Trip card at Union station or another of the Metro Stations and you can use that for your fares. Very easy. If you're going to ride the Metro, get the week pass and don't worry about it, but check the fine print to make sure it covers the Circulator.

And buy and set up metro card ahead of time-between the bus and metro we got everywhere we needed to be easy-except the night we saw Lincoln Memorial after dark and missed last Circulator bus back to closest metro stop. too tired to walk so we took taxi.

Fly into Reagan
So glad we did this!

I loved the National Archives Charters of Freedom exhibition.
One of the places that gave me actual chills-to see the documents that actually founded our country.

Our WH tour got cancelled due to crazy person, sad I missed it. Did do the Capitol tour including getting Gallery passes.

We stayed in 2 bedroom apartment right near Eastern Market and 3 blocks from metro stop. Rented off VRBO-Loved having space and a way to eat up leftovers from all the fabulous restaurants-Including poptarts from ted Bulletins! Ended up being a few hundred dollars cheaper than most hotels.

We also did a docent led tour of Air and Space and so glad we did! Wish we would have done this at the other museums too.

We ended up doing a low level membership to Smithsonian as with souvenirs we were purchasing and eating at couple of the cafes it paid for itself, or nearly anyway. Plus I have enjoyed the magazine the past year.

Currently living in DC, I don't have any recommendations for the hotels, but I would definitely go see the Natural History museum, and since all Smithsonian museums are free, try to pick out which ones your family would want to see the most. I have a friend who currently works at Lincoln's Cottage, and from what I've seen, it seems like a really cool place to visit (but I haven't been). Another cool museum, but it has an entrance fee, is the International Spy Museum. Definitely use metro, I'm unsure if Single Tracking will be in place over the summer, but if it is, you could definitely experience long waits getting around the city. Just be patient. And stay out of SE DC at night.

want to go to Hershey.

I used to live somewhat near Hershey (my parents currently live 30 minutes away). It'll take you at least 2 hours to drive. And if you're going to the amusement park (I don't really see why you'd go for anything else), during May - September you'll want to get there first thing since it can be packed, and this summer they're adding a new ride. I would say Gettysburg is much more doable as a day trip with the driving, and it would only be 1.5 hours.

Just chaperoned a school trip in Dec. Here were my favorites:
Arlington Cemetery-changing of the guards
Capitol Building
Fords Theatre and Peterson House
Mount Vernon
National Archives
Holocaust Museum
Vietnam War Memorial

We visited Jefferson Memorial and Lincoln's memorial close to dusk and it was beautiful as the sun was going down.

We also did the Natural History and Aero/space Museum- they were okay but I would have traded the time we spent there for more time at the Holocaust Museum

Monticello is amazing. DH and I went there a couple years ago. It's a good few hours from DC though. We live south of D.C. in Maryland and it took us I think 2.5 hours.

I didn't read all the replies but I just got back from DC with a group of high schoolers. We stayed at residence inn Pentagon. It was great. There is a mall a block away with a fantastic food court. Good stuff like Panera and chipotle. Very convenient. The hotel runs a shuttle to nearby places but you can also get the metro at the mall. We had a bus to drop us off but a couple from our group used Uber and the metro. We went to Fords Theater, Holocaust Museum, and Air and Space museum. Catholic or not, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is amazing. I would check that out. I believe it is the 3rd largest in the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter