Washington DC Hotel and Restaurants

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
We are headed to Washington DC in late March. Sightseeing and Cherry Blossoms are our main focus. Does anyone have any Hotel suggestions in DC or Arlington convenient to the Metro? We would love to hear everyone's opinion on dining. We are looking for breakfast, causal dining as well as somewhere very nice for dinner. A beautiful view would certainly be a plus.

Thanks in advance. DIS Board members are the best!!

I always recommend Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner. Great oysters and the last filet I had there was phenomenal. I'm local so I have no hotel recommendations but I would choose a hotel in DC close to where you want to go as to avoid the Metro. I used to be a daily metro rider. I would avoid it now at all costs, personally.

I’ve stayed at the crowne plaza in Crystal City and Hyatt in Rosslyn. Both hotels are a couple of blocks from a metro station. Crystal city is a couple of stops further from DC but still very convenient (less than 10 minutes difference).

Never had any real problems with the metro between those areas. Once it wouldn’t let us out without topping off our fare but the machines didn’t work and there was no attendant so we had to hop the turnstiles.

We stayed at The Bethesdan in, you guessed it, Bethesda last year and found it really convenient to restaurants, the Metro, and driving to Capitol Hill (it was on a holiday, or we wouldn't have tried that). Fish Taco and Good Stuff Eatery were our favorite casual restaurants that the kids also enjoyed.

I live in the area also, so don't have much hotel experience. I am signed up for Travelzoo offers, over the past year they have sent me offers for the Capitol Hill Hotel, Hilton Garden Inn DC/Georgetown, and DC Convention center Hampton Inn. Could be worth checking them out.

If you stay in Arlington, the blue line metro will get you in to the Smithsonian stop. Yellow line is currently out of commission as they are redoing the bridge over the Potomac, not sure when it is due to reopen.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Rossyln. Short walk to the metro. Really nice breakfast buffet each morning. We booked a rate that included parking (not sure if you are flying or driving in). I second the recommendation for Old Ebbitt Grill for dinner. Another suggestion would be to book a reservation to ride the elevator to the top of the Washington Monument. Was one of the highlights of our last trip. Also, the circulator bus is a cheap and easy way to get around the National Mall and tidal basin. Enjoy your trip!

My boyfriend runs the Cherry Blossom Race and we go down every year and stay at Marriott Courtyard Foggy Bottom. Walked everywhere. Founding Farmers is one of our favorite places to eat.

I used to work next door to Baked and Wired, a great bakery on Thomas Jefferson St. in Georgetown. Huge cupcakes that are much better than Georgetown Cupcake up the block. Also a few streets over (I want to say on 31st but I can’t quite remember) is Filomena for Italian food, we also liked Thunder Burger on M St. but I haven’t been there for years to see if it’s still open. You also can’t go wrong (imo) with Clyde’s, which has several locations in the DC area, including M St. in Georgetown and near the Portrait Gallery on 7th St. If you like pizza, Matchbox is great. There’s one in Penn Quarter on E St. and one on Capitol Hill on I think 8th St. I can’t help you with hotels but if you stay in Alexandria, VA instead of DC itself, there are a lot of nice restaurants there. We like Taverna Cretekou for Greek food on King St.

I just booked the Marriott next to Metro Station last night. It is close to Old Ebbit Grill and a must do.
Why did someone say no Metro nowadays? Is it because it is dangerous? @wvjules
@Cadiewampus Was going to bring my 12 year old. Do you recommend?

We stayed at the Wyndham National Harbor twice. We booked through www.vacationstrategy.com (which is recommended on the boards for WBC). We paid around $200 a night for a 2bed/2bath unit. It’s a really pretty area with lots of restaurants, bars, shops and activities (Ferris wheel and a ferry). My kids loved to relax in this area after doing DC all day.

An Uber into DC was never more than $9.

We stayed in DC this past August in a VRBO residence. It was great. We were about 2 blocks from a Safeway, and 3-4 from Walmart. We were about 10 blocks from the white house and about a 15 minute walk from the mall (next to one of the art museums). We found in getting around town, we walked until we were tired, then we used Uber. It was really easy that way, and the drivers were great! Because we got a house, we decided to eat breakfast and dinner in the house, but had lunch while we were out and about. Of course our group had 10 people, so it saved us tons of money.

We still metro some, though our regular route is the yellow line which from our house in Alexandria to daughter's house in NW DC is shut down for several more months. I don't think it is any less safe than any other travel in DC.

We stayed at the Wyndham National Harbor twice. We booked through www.vacationstrategy.com (which is recommended on the boards for WBC). We paid around $200 a night for a 2bed/2bath unit. It’s a really pretty area with lots of restaurants, bars, shops and activities (Ferris wheel and a ferry). My kids loved to relax in this area after doing DC all day.

An Uber into DC was never more than $9.
I live about 20 minutes from National Harbor. It’s a nice area but we are not crazy about many of the restaurants. That said, we do like Redstone Grill and Fiorella.

Agree with a PP recommending Baked & Wired. Will disagree with a PP recommending Founding Farmers. As a former local, it was never good for me.

If you're going to the zoo via Metro, get off one stop AFTER the map tells you. If you get off at Woodley Park, you'll be walking all the way uphill toward the zoo. Instead, get off at Cleveland Park and walk south for a much easier trek. Then, you can choose to walk either back to Cleveland Park or down to Woodley Park upon leaving.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites Crystal City a couple times. It's nice having the extra room, breakfast, and a few drinks in the afternoon.

The Wharf area has several nice restaurants. There are several Jose Andres restaurants around town.

I live about 20 minutes from National Harbor. It’s a nice area but we are not crazy about many of the restaurants. That said, we do like Redstone Grill and Fiorella.

We ate at an Italian place and didn't find the food to be that great, especially for the price. But we do like the area and it's a nice spot to unwind after a busy day in DC. Also can't beat the two bedroom for such a good price when you have a teenager and young adult.

Thank you to everybody for your helpful suggestions. I also am wondering about the safety of the Metro based on an earlier tip. Can anyone let us know what they have experienced with regard to Metro safety?

It looks like there are 4 different Embassy Suite Hotels in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions which one would be the most convenient and have parking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter