• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Washington DC area hotel....***Updated 10/18 with picture!!!

Crystal City area - Crystal Gateway Marriott we just stayed there last week for 6 nights ($99 most nights - member rate).
Very easy access to the Metro (underground, brightly lit, and enclosed) and is located near to the lobby check-in. FYI - Auntie Anne's does close most days at 6. Philadelphia Mikes I believe closes at 2 or 3pm but they had decent sandwiches. The Marriott does have free shuttle service to Reagan that leaves every 20 minutes if you want to save a buck or two and don't want to take the metro.

I thought the service work for the Metro was mainly that it would be closing at 12 midnight instead of 3am? But with the announcements sort of hard to hear -- it definitely could be more major than that and the locals would definitely know more than me. I even asked the Metro worker if they were planning to fix the public announcement system so you could hear better, but he said he didn't know.

I liked my stay at the ~ Residence Inn ~ Pentagon City ~ MARRIOTT

~ it is approximately a 3 blocks walk to the Metro ~

there is a Mall and also a Grocery Store across the street from the Metro

Last edited:
I thought the service work for the Metro was mainly that it would be closing at 12 midnight instead of 3am? But with the announcements sort of hard to hear -- it definitely could be more major than that and the locals would definitely know more than me. I even asked the Metro worker if they were planning to fix the public announcement system so you could hear better, but he said he didn't know.

The early closings on weekends is in addition to some lines that will be completely closed for periods of time per a posted schedule.

I don't have any hotel advice but I wanted to say how much I love this idea to get an updated picture. If you are driving in and spending the night at a hotel, I would suggest getting up early the next morning to take the photo. crowds will be so much lighter in the morning (8am or so).

There will likely be significant delays on Metro, but Uber is ramping up. :) If that is from the fence along Constitution (looks like it), it is usually open. Such a fun pic!

It's not truly budget but we loved the marriott metro center which is on the central stop for almost all lins and the Willard hotel has the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. Feather bed heaven. Very close to the White House.

1-2016-05-28 14.16.18.jpg 2-2016-05-28 14.18.52.jpg 3-2016-05-28 14.19.01.jpg

Finally, figured it out. You can see that when I went (last weekend), you could definitely re-do the picture. However, I'm not sure if that gate is always open. If it isn't, those barricades will keep you on the other side of the street from the fence. In the last picture, you can see the clump of people on the right hand side of the street - they're at the fence where your picture was taken (I could have been directly across from them (the barricades didn't prevent it), but I was handed the other way and too lazy to walk back).

So, I went by yesterday (I have visitors who wanted to see) and we were forced to stay across the street from the fence. No idea why/when the open/close the gate.

I'm a little late to the party but I have friends who work in DC part of the year and they swear by the Americana Hotel in Arlington. Its close to the metro and affordable. They also offer free parking.

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Arlington which was across the street from the Pentagon. The shuttle will take you to the Metro but it's around the corner (approximately 10-15 min walk).

Update: we finally have a date we could all agree on and doesn't conflict with work and kids activities (between the 5 of us, there are 14 kids!). I ended up booking a 1 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn Capitol Hill for next month. It has free breakfast and WiFi. I have seen a couple people mention on TripAdvisor that street parking is free on the weekends, so I will have to look further into that. 2 of my siblings did not like the idea of a metro ride longer than 10 to 15 minutes, so I had to up the budget a bit, but that's OK. The trip is scheduled for Oct 15th and 16th . I can't wait to come back and share the updated picture. Starting to get a grasp on places to eat near the mall and or white house that won't break the bank. If anyone has suggestions, please chime in! Thanks again for all who have made suggestions and helped scout out the photo opportunities!

We stayed at Hampton inn in silver springs this past June. It was on Hotwire for $65 a night. It was a great room, and they had an indoor pool, and breakfast. Three blocks from metro.

We also stayed at the Kipton in Arlington through Priceline. It was more, like $120 but super nice. Just a block from the metro. This was about five years ago, however they were the only four star in that zone if you want to play around on Priceline.

** oops just saw I was late to post, have a good trip!

Update: we finally have a date we could all agree on and doesn't conflict with work and kids activities (between the 5 of us, there are 14 kids!). I ended up booking a 1 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn Capitol Hill for next month. It has free breakfast and WiFi. I have seen a couple people mention on TripAdvisor that street parking is free on the weekends, so I will have to look further into that. 2 of my siblings did not like the idea of a metro ride longer than 10 to 15 minutes, so I had to up the budget a bit, but that's OK. The trip is scheduled for Oct 15th and 16th . I can't wait to come back and share the updated picture. Starting to get a grasp on places to eat near the mall and or white house that won't break the bank. If anyone has suggestions, please chime in! Thanks again for all who have made suggestions and helped scout out the photo opportunities!

Looks like current schedule for Metro work shouldn't affect you too much, other than trains not running as often. We've had an exceptionally hot and dry summer, and need rain badly. Hope the weather cooperates for the picture! Your best bet for a good weather report is Capital Weather Gang in the Washington Post.... their daily forecast is posted about 5am daily, with occasional updates during the day. WaPo on line gives you a handful of free article looks/month without a subscription....

There's a Whole Foods between the Farragut West and McPherson Square metro stops on I Street, might be a place to grab something to eat that's quick, if you're pressed for time. We don't often eat in that area so can't give you any recent recommendations.

Look forward to seeing the picture!

14567464_10154555000854286_3857239265623702165_o.jpg

The trip finally took place this past weekend. We had a GREAT time and as you can see, the picture was a success!! Since we were without the kiddos, we accomplished so much, but still didn't put a dent in everything you can see and do in this great city. The hotel was great and we were very comfortable there for one night. The only thing I would have done differently regarding the hotel, would be to book somewhere further out of the city with more dining options nearby for dinner. A big thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions and tips!!

How cute! I got back a few weeks ago. Reading this thread, I was hoping you weren't at the Pentagon Sheraton...terrible hotel!

So happy that you got your picture! I think of you sometimes when walking by that spot (not in a creepy, stalkerish way - just remembering this thread).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter