• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was Excited to Plan WDW Spring Trip…Until I Came Here and Remembered all the New Rules.

MermaidsMom

<font color=red>Do you live trap squirrels with cr
Saw a few Disney commercials on TV, getting out my Disney holiday decorations and started thinking 🤔, hmmmm, we need to get back there. So I come back to the trip planning forum to get excited and unfortunately remembered how it is now.

Instead of making reservations at a resort and dining for whenever we can go, I need to research park availability for all 18 people in my group, some of who will end up arriving on different days and staying for various lengths of time. Then, rather than let folks buy their tickets at the gate when they arrive, nothing at all can happen until tickets are purchased months/year in advance.

Ah for the days of reserving a room, restaurant and showing up for the fun! Just getting fast passes, instead staring at your phone all day hoping your service is good and you get chosen for various rides, etc.

Does anyone here think these is ANY CHANCE they will stop this madness? 🤔🧐🥳

They've been tinkering a little (and I mean a little), but I don't see any dramatic changes anytime soon, unfortunately. It is a real pain for planning purposes--making it far more difficult than it ever was before (not to mention the need to early rise every day of your stay). But then again, you never know right?

It appears the main reason Disney wants you to have to book everything months in advance is because it’s easier for them.

It really says something about how much Disney has fallen when you, the paying customer or what Disney used to call us, their “Guests”, takes a backseat to a bunch of corporate types in finance.

Wow—planning a trip for 18 people sounds challenging! Would it help to break into a few smaller groups each with a head planner? You could plan a few large group events and then give each smaller group the freedom to do what works with their schedule.

A trip for 18 would be difficult to coordinate even without the new rules. Honestly, I'd let each group within that 18 (those who are arriving at different times, etc) plan their own trip and just coordinate some times to meet up. Make sure everyone knows to buy tickets in advance and reserve their park days but then let them do their own thing.

It appears the main reason Disney wants you to have to book everything months in advance is because it’s easier for them.

It really says something about how much Disney has fallen when you, the paying customer or what Disney used to call us, their “Guests”, takes a backseat to a bunch of corporate types in finance.
Seems like the opposite to me. I loved when I could book dining at 180 days and FP+ at 60 days. Now you have to book rides at 7am on the day you're going. It pits everyone against each other in one big scrum.

Seems like the opposite to me. I loved when I could book dining at 180 days and FP+ at 60 days. Now you have to book rides at 7am on the day you're going. It pits everyone against each other in one big scrum.
There is no incentive for Disney to give you FP+ as the hotels are full regardless and the parks are packed. The new fluctuating pricing is a tool to maximize profits. Disney is not a charity. FP+ is gone and they are trying to wean people off this idea that all these things are included with a hotel. The prices will continue to increase for Genie+ and ILL . I wouldn't be surprised if they move to the Universal Studios approach of Express Pass is between $100-$200 per person per day. Of course it is expensive but there are enough people willing to pay it. The day of approach allows those willing to pay the opportunity to do so and they can adjust that day of price to reflect the crowd level. They no longer have to give away the best time slots just because someone books a hotel early.

There is no incentive for Disney to give you FP+ as the hotels are full regardless and the parks are packed. The new fluctuating pricing is a tool to maximize profits. Disney is not a charity. FP+ is gone and they are trying to wean people off this idea that all these things are included with a hotel. The prices will continue to increase for Genie+ and ILL . I wouldn't be surprised if they move to the Universal Studios approach of Express Pass is between $100-$200 per person per day. Of course it is expensive but there are enough people willing to pay it. The day of approach allows those willing to pay the opportunity to do so and they can adjust that day of price to reflect the crowd level. They no longer have to give away the best time slots just because someone books a hotel early.
It's arrogant of you to tell me Disney is not a charity. I've spent a small fortune at WDW over the past twenty years so I'm quite aware of that fact. No where in my post did I indicate I expected anything for free. I only said it was more convenient to be able to book things prior to the actual day they were happening. Making your customers rise before 7am every day they want to attend your parks in order to pay to maximize their fun is not a great idea. Sometimes, people on vacation want to sleep in and go to the park later instead of having to join the rat race for ride slots first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
It's arrogant of you to tell me Disney is not a charity. I've spent a small fortune at WDW over the past twenty years so I'm quite aware of that fact. No where in my post did I indicate I expected anything for free. I only said it was more convenient to be able to book things prior to the actual day they were happening. Making your customers rise before 7am every day they want to attend your parks in order to pay to maximize their fun is not great idea. Sometimes, people on vacation want to sleep in and go to the park later instead of having to join the rat race for rides slots first thing in the morning.
Then it seems like you are in the Universal style approach where you will pay a significant fee per day that includes express pass. USO/IOA allows you to prebook express pass.

I planned a trip for 12 this past year and it was tough. Planning for 18 sounds really REALLY tough. I will say this though. I don't think park reservations will be an issue for you if you book them now. As of now I don't think anything is unavailable for the spring yet.

The hardest part of planning for a group that large is splitting ADR's and Genie+. I didn't hate Genie+, and I found that waking up super early for it is largely unnecessary (unless you're traveling during a peak time, then it may be different). The biggest drawback for me was that using Genie+ when you're in a group, once you split up for anything (like, one group needs a bathroom break and one wants to make that next LL), it is hard to get back on the same schedule again. You also can't make Genie+ lightning lanes all together for more than, I believe 12 is the max.

Looking back at the OP, the new rules would actually help them. Outside of park reservations, if people in the party are truly buying their tickets when they get to the parks, they will now be able to access Genie+ at the same time as everyone else and get the big new rides. In the Fastpass + days, those rides would have been completely booked 5 months out and there would have been almost 0 chance of getting a fastpass day of for most headliners.

Looking back at the OP, the new rules would actually help them. Outside of park reservations, if people in the party are truly buying their tickets when they get to the parks, they will now be able to access Genie+ at the same time as everyone else and get the big new rides. In the Fastpass + days, those rides would have been completely booked 5 months out and there would have been almost 0 chance of getting a fastpass day of for most headliners.
Thanks, But I’m in the waaaay back machine here where one simply went to a FP machine in front of the ride or feature one desired to enjoy and printed the passes out on the spot to return at a later time.

Then folks excitedly decided what to do in the meantime! Shop? Coffee? Eat? The World was yours because you weren’t looking towards the ground while staring at your phone.

Thanks, But I’m in the waaaay back machine here where one simply went to a FP machine in front of the ride or feature one desired to enjoy and printed the passes out on the spot to return at a later time.

Then folks excitedly decided what to do in the meantime! Shop? Coffee? Eat? The World was yours because you weren’t looking towards the ground while staring at your phone.
One family trip Test Track FP were gone so fast we were never able to get them, and the standby line was LONG. Kids were disappointed. I remember the race to get them for Toy Story Midway Mania. That system had its limitations also.

The idea that you have to spend all day staring at your phone is an exaggeration. It isn't necessary to buy G+ for every park if you do some research and planning.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter