• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning for those taking a cab from SNA

I checked what I paid my last several trips with Lyft and I paid: $25, $22, $30, $25, $26, $22. That's a savings of $120 off what I'd pay with a cab. I can think of a lot better ways to use that $120 than for a cab.
Do you not tip? Uber/Lyft workers get pretty pissed if you’re not tipping well, like 20%+ unless the fare is already really high. They might not complain directly to you, but seeing comments on Reddit and stuff from them makes me scared to use them. There are a LOT of very very angry workers and one of the largest thing is low or no tips. A $25 fare could still mean they’re only getting like $9-$12 out of that plus they’re paying fuel costs. I would think a $10 tip should be tossed onto that kind of trip…

Do you not tip? Uber/Lyft workers get pretty pissed if you’re not tipping well, like 20%+ unless the fare is already really high. They might not complain directly to you, but seeing comments on Reddit and stuff from them makes me scared to use them. There are a LOT of very very angry workers and one of the largest thing is low or no tips. A $25 fare could still mean they’re only getting like $9-$12 out of that plus they’re paying fuel costs. I would think a $10 tip should be tossed onto that kind of trip…
You could add a $10 tip to each of those and still come out well ahead of a Taxi.

I have taken taxis and ride shares in many big cities. I personally go with my gut before getting into the taxis because I can't share my ride with my husband. Travelling by myself I like the ability to share my trip for safety reasons. I do take a picture of the cab number, company name, and license plate and text to my husband before getting into the cab. I also pull up the location I'm going to and have the navigation going to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I don't feel you can ever be too safe when riding in either situation.

I do love how you can walk out of an airport and get a taxi so I tend to use those more for to and from the airport and ride shares for going around the cities.

I'll admit I've never had an issue with taxis not honoring the advertised flat rate so I also would be irritated if that happened.

I have taken taxis and ride shares in many big cities. I personally go with my gut before getting into the taxis because I can't share my ride with my husband. Travelling by myself I like the ability to share my trip for safety reasons. I do take a picture of the cab number, company name, and license plate and text to my husband before getting into the cab. I also pull up the location I'm going to and have the navigation going to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I don't feel you can ever be too safe when riding in either situation.

I do love how you can walk out of an airport and get a taxi so I tend to use those more for to and from the airport and ride shares for going around the cities.

I'll admit I've never had an issue with taxis not honoring the advertised flat rate so I also would be irritated if that happened.
This is also what I do and why I prefer a taxi for my solo trips.

That's what I paid WITH 20% tip. I drove for Lyft for 2 1/2 years so unless a driver is unsafe or there is something questionable with the trip I always tip 20%.

That's what I paid WITH 20% tip. I drove for Lyft for 2 1/2 years so unless a driver is unsafe or there is something questionable with the trip I always tip 20%.
Wow, you have been getting good deals. I went back and looked at what I wrote down close to our October 2022 trip. Last October when we checked after arrival Uber/Lyft both wanted between $40 and $50 pre-tip, and it was going to take them 20 minutes to get there to get us. We wound up getting a taxi for $30 or $35.

On the way back to the resort we booked an Uber, I didn't do it in advance and the first one was only 2 minutes away and $35. I turned around to be sure DH already had the bags from bell services before booking and when I looked back I had lost that one and the next one was 5 minutes away and $10 more. So we spent $45 on an Uber to get back to the airport.

I guess it all depends on time? My flights generally arrive between 8:45-9:30 and the longest we've waited is about 10 minutes. I always call for it right when I get my baggage off the carousel. My trips back are always leaving at about 6:15 (I take the same time flights evey time). I've never waited longer than 10 minutes at DLR either, but I also call for it right when I exit the turnstiles at the park.

I went about a month ago and paid Uber around $50 each way, plus I tipped $10 each time. Both cars were much nicer than what a typical cab is (at least the cabs I've been in, anyway) and the drivers were nice but respected the fact I don't really chat much.

Anyway, for our next trip, I'll budget $50 plus tip each way and if I get a lower rate then yay! If not then oh well.

We took a cab Saturday morning and I asked at the podium about the flat rate (we have used the flat rate before). The lady at the podium said it was up to the driver. When I asked the driver he said "it would be about $50 but I asked again to clarify it was $50, not "about $50". We got the flat rate and he was a terrifying driver.

We did UberXL back to the airport and paid $49 before tip because we needed a car that fit 4 people.

I went about a month ago and paid Uber around $50 each way, plus I tipped $10 each time. Both cars were much nicer than what a typical cab is (at least the cabs I've been in, anyway) and the drivers were nice but respected the fact I don't really chat much.

Anyway, for our next trip, I'll budget $50 plus tip each way and if I get a lower rate then yay! If not then oh well.
Sna cabs have always had good cars ime.

Dammit, another service where we're expected to tip a fairly high percentage? Why can't services just charge the actual amount.

I've always tipped on Ubers/Lyfts but I thought it was more of a courtesy thing. Didn't realize a 20% minimum tip is expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter