• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WARNING: Disney Vacation Account took money without permission

True that it is a "non-interest" account. However; you do get a $20 bonus for every $1000 spent after the account is open for 120 days. 2% for four months is better than any standard savings account.

True that it is a "non-interest" account. However; you do get a $20 bonus for every $1000 spent after the account is open for 120 days. 2% for four months is better than any standard savings account.
But it's not 2%. It's a $20 GC for every $1000 spent. You could save for years to reach that $1000, instead of just 4 months. You could spend $950 and get absolutely nothing, or you could spend $1999 and only get a $20 GC.

But it's not 2%. It's a $20 GC for every $1000 spent. You could save for years to reach that $1000, instead of just 4 months. You could spend $950 and get absolutely nothing, or you could spend $1999 and only get a $20 GC.
You just need to figure out how much your trip will cost, round down to the nearest $1000, transfer that amount into the account (aged 4+ months), and collect the bonus. You can then pay the balance in whatever way you see fit.

There have been alot of complaints about issues on the Budget Board.

Disney is having major IT issues for last 2-3 yrs.

I Just opened a DVA 6/4/15 for future use deposited about 5 gc, bought xmas party tickets with no issues.

After this planned trip in dec 2015 I plan to store all my giftcards there till our cruise in 2017.

Its a great idea for people that like to save up with discounted gift cards, Im sure they will work out all the bugs.

You are correct but if im getting 12% off giftcards and points from cc and using DVA as a holding place and then they want to throw me an extra 2% for every 1k spent.

Woo hoo happy dance

Its all in how you work it!!!

5000 x .12 = 600
5000 x 1 airline mile = about 3/4 of one way ticket = 94
3000 spent out of dva for bonus = 60

Grand total of $754 vs the $202 I would earn in interest on the $5000 in two years if I just left it in the saving acct.

Which by the way the money we save for vacation just sits in a saving acct till we spend it, except change and birthday money.

Last edited:
Me as well. Withdrawal was "pending" yesterday in my bank account and the withdrawal wasn't supposed to occur until 6/19, so I did NOT have the funds and it over drew me!!! So of course I tried to see if I had set up my contributions wrong but could not get in to the DVA website.."down for maintainence" so even though I am glad I see it wasn't just me, I feel bad for everyone that is getting messed up!! Hopefully down for maint. means they are fixing the issue!! I have seen it pending in my checking account before on the date I have it set up but it drops off for a day or two then posts like 3 days after I had it scheduled. So this morning it isn't on there any more but I suppose it could still come off in a few days. And this morning...website ( DVA) still down for maint!! UGH>

The exact same thing happened to me. I called and they said that they'd process a refund for me, but it'd take a couple of days since they were still working out "the glitch." Doesn't do me much good since it will come out in a couple of days anyways. :sad2:

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It just happened to me again this afternoon. DVA took unschedulded money out of my account again!!!! After they fixed it!!! So frustrated and pretty worried now. Site is still down and can't get through. :mad::mad::mad:>:(>:(>:(

You are correct but if im getting 12% off giftcards and points from cc and using DVA as a holding place and then they want to throw me an extra 2% for every 1k spent.

Woo hoo happy dance

Its all in how you work it!!!

5000 x .12 = 600
5000 x 1 airline mile = about 3/4 of one way ticket = 94
3000 spent out of dva for bonus = 60

Grand total of $754 vs the $202 I would earn in interest on the $5000 in two years if I just left it in the saving acct.

Which by the way the money we save for vacation just sits in a saving acct till we spend it, except change and birthday money.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the math. I just take exception to people referring to it over and over as a 2% bonus, when in fact it is not a straight percentage back. It is a bonus on your spending that is limited to a maximum of $500 worth of GCs and only earned on even amounts of $1K. Referring to it as 2% back on your spending from the account is misleading.

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It just happened to me again this afternoon. DVA took unschedulded money out of my account again!!!! After they fixed it!!! So frustrated and pretty worried now. Site is still down and can't get through. :mad::mad::mad:>:(>:(>:(
Wow, that is completely unacceptable. :sad2: I hope everyone that has their accounts overdrawn over this go after Disney to pay the overage charges.

Disney is having major IT issues for last 2-3 yrs.

I Just opened a DVA 6/4/15 for future use deposited about 5 gc, bought xmas party tickets with no issues.

After this planned trip in dec 2015 I plan to store all my giftcards there till our cruise in 2017.

Its a great idea for people that like to save up with discounted gift cards, Im sure they will work out all the bugs.

Yeah Disney's IT has not been great lately, and they only have to look inside to find the blame. They walked out all their senior and qualified IT workers. They replaced them with underpriced foreign workers. Meanwhile companies like Disney continue to lobby Congress saying they need more H1-B workers because they cannot find skilled American workers. Gee, maybe look at all the guys you fired. There have been several recent articles about them doing these massive layoffs.

Yeah Disney's IT has not been great lately, and they only have to look inside to find the blame. They walked out all their senior and qualified IT workers. They replaced them with underpriced foreign workers. Meanwhile companies like Disney continue to lobby Congress saying they need more H1-B workers because they cannot find skilled American workers. Gee, maybe look at all the guys you fired. There have been several recent articles about them doing these massive layoffs.
I'm not sure that it's Disney's IT people in this particular case. Isn't the DVA administered by Chase? I thought that I had read that somewhere when they first announced the DVA.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the math. I just take exception to people referring to it over and over as a 2% bonus, when in fact it is not a straight percentage back. It is a bonus on your spending that is limited to a maximum of $500 worth of GCs and only earned on even amounts of $1K. Referring to it as 2% back on your spending from the account is misleading.
Yeah, but saying 2% is easier. Less writing. Also,We have you to fix all our misinformation, so why bother. JK. But seriously, I think DVA needs to hire you. I think we'd all sign a letter of reccommdation.

I got a credit posted back on my credit card so they seem to working thru some issues. The site is still down so not sure what they are doing. Hope they get it back up and running soon I really like the account.

I had the gift card problem happen to me about two weeks ago. I called and spoke to someone, but they never got back to me. I can't get into account to check. What are the chances that when I log into my account that it's fixed even though I never heard back from them? You think they fixed all of them across the board?

I really hope this gets worked out by Monday. 2016 packages are ready, and I was planning on using my account to book. :guilty:

I have been in the mortgage industry for many years and I can tell you it is a huge NO NO to take someones money out of their bank account without authorization whether intentional or not. People that give institutions their financial information have entrusted it to them and the institution has a fudiciary duty to only use that information in the way it was intended.
Of course its a NO NO. However, that doesn't mean for a single minute that it might not happen. And somehow all that intended responsibility makes them evil because a computer vomits all over itself and although, it was never intended or even controllable becomes a malicious attempt to extort funds? If in the course of this, the correction is not made then it is criminal. I don't think that is going to happen, it will be fixed.

Besides that, as a person that works within the mortgage industry, do you also feel that sending money (that perhaps you are paying interest on, since it is available via credit card) to a group that holds and possibly uses your money to create their own revenue and then doesn't pay any interest to you is the act of someone that is financially savvy to begin with. Create your own account in the bank or credit union of your choice and deposit the same money into that account, earn interest and eliminate all possibilities of accidental charges.

Of course its a NO NO. However, that doesn't mean for a single minute that it might not happen. And somehow all that intended responsibility makes them evil because a computer vomits all over itself and although, it was never intended or even controllable becomes a malicious attempt to extort funds? If in the course of this, the correction is not made then it is criminal. I don't think that is going to happen, it will be fixed.

Besides that, as a person that works within the mortgage industry, do you also feel that sending money (that perhaps you are paying interest on, since it is available via credit card) to a group that holds and possibly uses your money to create their own revenue and then doesn't pay any interest to you is the act of someone that is financially savvy to begin with. Create your own account in the bank or credit union of your choice and deposit the same money into that account, earn interest and eliminate all possibilities of accidental charges.
You came just to debate but you got schooled by dallastxcpa. It's time to come to the dark side and say "I was wrong and Disney Vacation Account took money without permission".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter