• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking up to Restaurants with No ADRS

tryingfornumber7

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney in a few weeks for my son's wish trip and cannot seem to find ANY ADR's for the times we're going. Really wanting Chef Mickey's and a couple others. I know it's epcot's food and wine fest and all but was wondering if we walk up to the places what are the odds we will get reservations? I don't mind waiting if we can get in. Thanks.

We are going to Disney in a few weeks for my son's wish trip and cannot seem to find ANY ADR's for the times we're going. Really wanting Chef Mickey's and a couple others. I know it's epcot's food and wine fest and all but was wondering if we walk up to the places what are the odds we will get reservations? I don't mind waiting if we can get in. Thanks.

It depends on the restaurant and when you go. The most popular places (e.g., BOG, Chef Mickey's, anything pre-park opening) do tend to book up fully and walk-ups may not be taken. I've been there when BOG, Le Cellier, and Sci Fi were telling guests that they were fully booked for the evening and were not taking walk-ups. I do think you might have better chances if you eat at off times.

Along with being F&W, free dining was also offered for parts of September and October, which tends to impact TS locations.

You may have better luck at some of the DTD restaurants. Call T-Rex or RC and make a reservation directly with them. There is also Raglan Road, Portobello, HOB, Bongos, PH, and Paradisio.

I think it depends on the amount in your party as well. My DD and I have been able to walk up to quite a few places and get in with small amt. of wait time. I would try, esp. Really early dinner or late times. Good luck, keep looking because ADR's open up closer to your dates as well, with people canceling.

If you staying on site you can also try to see if your concierge can help. Sometimes there are cancellations or a couple left available. I know a few people that have had last minute success with their help.

Since all TS require a deposit unless you cancel 24 hours in advance - my suggestion is to call the evening before you wish to dine at a TS.
Say Chef Mickey's any time between 4 pm and 7 pm for dinner, table of 4 people, for tomorrow night - or what ever you like, but give a large time frame to search.
I bet you will get an ADR.

In the past....
We could not get Eating with the Princesses for breakfast in the MK Castle.
We call the night before and was able to snag a table for 4 at Cindy's breakfast. Someone had cancelled a few hour before, so they would not be charged their deposit.

Do not give up ! :)

If this is a Make a Wish trip can the organization not help you? I don't know how this works. I do have a family friend that is going on a Make a Wish Trip the end of September. They are staying at the Give the Kids the World Village. But I don't think her trip is through Make a Wish. They are leaving in 3 weeks and she has no info at all except that they are going.

Chef Mickey's is a hard reservation to get. A walk up might be okay with 2-4 people but anything larger and I don't think it will happen. Are you staying on Disney property? If you are then the concierge desk might be able to help. If you are not then when you arrive at the park check in with guest services. They might be able to help get you in to some of them. Also, like everyone else here has said---keep trying. The closer you get to the date you want the better the chances are that someone will cancel.

thanks everyone. we don't mind dining at off times at all. This is through kids wish, not maw. We haven't been given our itinerary yet either. Will know that in about 3 weeks! My kids are over the moon excited, especially my son Alex since it's his wish trip. We didn't have any issues getting breakfast with the ninja turtles at universal but I guess Disney dining is different? I def will call the night before. awesome tip! Thanks.

When trying to get into a restaurant without an ADR, the way it worked best for us was if we were at the park, go to guest services. We have always managed to get an ADR in a restaurant at the park. One time we went to The Plaza to see if they had any openings and was told no. They were booked for the day. So, I walked to guest services and lo and behold they were able to find 2 openings at The Plaza for 4:30 and 8:3. Not choice times but we didn't care.

We were only to get a walk up to Chef Mickeys once in the last 3 years. We went right when they opened for the day and told them we would take a table anytime of the day. We ended up with 4:30.

So it doesn't hurt to ask.

Keep checking a few times a day if possible. as time comes closer people finalize their plans and drop extra ADRs. I was able to get my daughters a BOG last week for their trip this month.

Last year I was able to get Sci Fi a few weeks before we went and Tusker House at opening the day before we left.

If you take your computer I would even check when I was at Disney.

Tryingfornumber7,

What are the dates of your trip? I have some extra ADR's that I grabbed in case, but I'm thinking of cancelling a few of them because of F&W and other plans. Maybe we could coordinate to cancel and pick them up at the same time if our dates are similar? Our trip is the 13-20. Let me know! :)

we had an ADR at CM last October (during FD) at 5:30PM and I was shocked at how empty the restaurant was. We were seated immediately, did not start to fill up until 6-6:15. Your best chance is probably when they open for dinner.

Also there's a cancellation thread for every month. Sign up for your month and make sure to subscribe with the instant notification. Check periodically on the phone app or web site too, only takes a few seconds to refresh. Good luck!

Your best bet will be to go at off times (ex: breakfast at 10, lunch at 2, dinner at 8, etc.) and to visit the less popular restaurants - Nine Dragons, Marrakesh, DTD restaurants, the moderate resort TS restaurants, etc. Not only is it F&W but it may overlap with free dining dates which tend to clog up ADRs. Character meals and some of the more popular Word Showcase restaurants may be tough.

I agree with the PPs who said to check for cancellations the evening before you want to go to a particular restaurant.

We have had some luck with walk-ups in the past. Going when the restaurant opens has been the most successful tip I can give since you already said you would be willing to wait if necessary.

Keep checking the ADR site, stuff opens up all the time.

Have you considered alternatives to the really popular places? I hear great things about the Garden Grove character meal.

If you don't have anything by the time of your trip, you can go to guest services that morning. They'll be able to tell you what's available that day. It's way easier than trying to walk up to random restaurants. I can't think of a single time when we haven't been able to get something through guest services day-of, as long as we're flexible with timing and don't have one specific "must have" restaurant in mind.

If you don't have anything by the time of your trip, you can go to guest services that morning. They'll be able to tell you what's available that day. It's way easier than trying to walk up to random restaurants. I can't think of a single time when we haven't been able to get something through guest services day-of, as long as we're flexible with timing and don't have one specific "must have" restaurant in mind.

If you do this, politely mention that it's your son's wish trip. Sometimes magic happens for those on wish trips… especially those who are nice, polite, and friendly!

Magic does sometimes happen, We were on my granddaughter's wish trip a few years ago and the only place she wanted to eat at was Crystal Palace, we went to the check in desk and explained to the cast member that she really wanted to eat here and they got us in within a few minutes, even brought her a stuffed mickey. That was the highlight of her trip.:goodvibes Never hurts to ask.

Put the My Disney Experience app on your phone. You can use that also to help see if there are any times available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter