Walking to Race Walking Part 2

windwalker

I need an Adventure
Walking to Race Walking Step 2

Last week we discussed the benefits of having good posture when you walk. Another advantage of keeping that back straight and chin up and level is that you don't get a lot of the aches and pains from exercise. When you walk or run with your head down, the force of gravity is pushing on the back of your neck instead of on top of your head. When you lean forward the gravity force hits you somewhere in the lower back. So along with this weeks step to concentrate continue to keep that posture straight up and walk proud.

As Tracy mentioned our core, center of strength and where the power for fast and efficient walking comes from is a few inches below the navel. So, for this week imagine that you have rope tied around your waist and you are being pulled forward. The rope is pulling you forward from that core area so you are leading with your hips. Straight up posture and you are being pulled forward by the rope around your hips. Concentrate on each hip going forward and starting your walk step from right there in the hip as it moves forward.

A big part of big successful with fast efficient walking is how you perceive a motion. What has worked well for me is concentrating on driving the hip forward. I used to think swinging the leg forward and that was impeding my efficiency, thinking driving the hip forward helped me get the motion right.

Dave :hippie:

Thanks, Dave. I am on a rest day today, but ended up doing a lot of walking at a couple of big stores and practiced lesson two!

Thanks for posting these. For foot reasons, I need to walk the entire course, but I've noticed in my past few training sessions that after the long runs, my right shoulder is really hurting. The left side is fine, but my right shoulder just hurts. I can still function, but I'm curious as to what others think I'm doing that's causing the problem.

Yes, feeling the hip moving forward is a good visualization. It's kind of like doing the "twist" like Chubby checker. make sure the shoulders/upper body is facing forward while the hips are moving. I like to think of each hip attached to a bungie chord and it get's stretched when the hip is back and then pulled forward as you bring the leg forward. You should never lean forward from the hips, this will lead to lower back pain and soreness and also means you are not then using the core and making sure your pelvis is level. If there is any kind of a lead it should be from the ankles, never at the waist.

I will confess that this is a toughie for me -- now I know what walking and chewing bubble gum must feel like. ;) I feel great on posture and I can picture being led by the rope but adding the swinging hips makes everything else go to pot. :rotfl2: I will keep working on this one. Thanks Dave and Tracey for helping us! :flower3:

I will confess that this is a toughie for me -- now I know what walking and chewing bubble gum must feel like. ;) I feel great on posture and I can picture being led by the rope but adding the swinging hips makes everything else go to pot. :rotfl2: I will keep working on this one. Thanks Dave and Tracey for helping us! :flower3:

That's very normal, next weeks step will help to bring it more together.

Dave:hippie:

I'm happy to report that I suddenly realized I was walking and leading with my hips yesterday. It happened again today so it wasn't just a fluke. And I kept my posture. I felt like I was gliding along. :cool2: Looking forward to the next step tomorrow. :flower3:

I'm happy to report that I suddenly realized I was walking and leading with my hips yesterday. It happened again today so it wasn't just a fluke. And I kept my posture. I felt like I was gliding along. :cool2: Looking forward to the next step tomorrow. :flower3:

The next post will be out this afternoon. I already have it ready and I think it will help put the first two steps together.

Davepirate:

Dave after doing my 5M on Friday I noticed I do look down alot, I thought that I did but didn't realize I almost always are looking down. Since I was on the TM it was easy to spend some time on technique and I purposely pulled my shoulders back, stuck my chest out and pulled in my tummy and I felt I could walk at a faster pace easier....if that makes sense.

Thanks so much for spending the time to do this it is already helping.

Kimmer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter