Waiting to board our plane and....

serious question. I don't have any children with food allergies.

If you have a child that can die from the dust or smell of a certain type of food, how do you deal on a daily basis? if you have a shellfish allergy

Do you ask the patrons around you to not order what you're allergic too?
If you take the train to florida instead of fly, does the entire train have to not eat the item?

Speaking of shellfish... For the past few weeks there have been crunched up pieces of crab shells strewn all over the sidewalk in my neighborhood. I assume an animal got into someone's trash. Anyway, every time I walk by it I think it's a good thing my neighborhood isn't representative of the DIS or the streets would be littered with bodies. :)

It isn't a smell - it is the fact that protein can be released in peanut dust, and then inhaled.

How do we deal with it?

• We check food labels - constantly.
  • We don't eat out places that have loose peanuts or serve peanut / tree nut entrees.
  • We call ahead and speak with the managers about special menus when we do go out to eat.
  • We tell all teachers about my DD's allergy. All of them.
  • We have business cards made up with my daughter's picture on it, and it describes her allergy, how to start treatment and get emergency care, and how to contact us. We had those out to the front office staff, her teachers, and the cafeteria staff so they all know who she is and how to treat her.
  • We carry medication on our person at all times.
  • My daughter carries medicine at all times.
  • She wears a medical alert bracelet at all times.
  • Some places we have to avoid. She is 14 now and has never been to a carnival or circus.
We have to think 2 steps ahead of her allergy. Adults not complying with a simple request to safeguard her health while she is a child is sickening to me.

So if you'll avoid a carnival because it presents a danger, why wouldn't you do the same for a plane if the allergy is that severe? Adults only get the chance to not comply if you decide to go somewhere high risk first.

There seems to be a disconnect with this.

Last edited:
I just can't believe how people can be so rude. I would never think of taking anything on a plane with any kind of peanuts or nuts knowing how many people are allergic to nuts.

You can eat whatever you want for the rest of your life - except for the few hours you are on a plane with a nut allergic individual.

Oh, the horror. I feel so badly for you. Especially when your options are pretty much limitless.

I hope no one dies because you insist on breaking out your peanuts - because you WANTED them. Not needed. Wanted.

BTW, I also have low blood sugar at times. Once I was on a plane during a business trip. We were stuck in the heat with no AC, on the tarmac, and I hadn't eaten in 18 hours. I told the stewardess when she came to check on me, because I had started dry heaving into a bag. I wasn't acting "right" and was shaking by the time she got to me. Low and behold, suddenly a BOX full of food appeared in front of me - cheese, crackers, a beef strip, a dessert, and two cans of juice. There were probably other goodies in there, but I can't remember them. I was taken care of, and would have been if I had asked sooner. There are always other options when treating low blood sugar.

The only other option for the nut allergic child may be severe illness, injury, or death. I would hate for that to be on your conscious.
OK, I'll ask YOU... WHY would you willingly take your child into a metal tube at 35,000 feet and force yourself to RELY on 150+ total strangers to do the right thing? If even one person does something to expose your child (whether through ignorance or rudeness), your child could die. It seems awfully brave to be willing to take that chance.

You readily admit you avoid places with your child where they will probably be exposed. So why take the chance on an airplane?

You can eat whatever you want for the rest of your life - except for the few hours you are on a plane with a nut allergic individual.

Oh, the horror. I feel so badly for you. Especially when your options are pretty much limitless.

I hope no one dies because you insist on breaking out your peanuts - because you WANTED them. Not needed. Wanted.

BTW, I also have low blood sugar at times. Once I was on a plane during a business trip. We were stuck in the heat with no AC, on the tarmac, and I hadn't eaten in 18 hours. I told the stewardess when she came to check on me, because I had started dry heaving into a bag. I wasn't acting "right" and was shaking by the time she got to me. Low and behold, suddenly a BOX full of food appeared in front of me - cheese, crackers, a beef strip, a dessert, and two cans of juice. There were probably other goodies in there, but I can't remember them. I was taken care of, and would have been if I had asked sooner. There are always other options when treating low blood sugar.

The only other option for the nut allergic child may be severe illness, injury, or death. I would hate for that to be on your conscious.

no worries there, like I said I take responsibility for my kids and my kids health. I don't expect random strangers to accommodate me.
the other option for a child with allergies is for it's parents to man up, be parents and no depend on strangers.

The point is not that people have other options. The point is that they have to actually KNOW that they need to bring the other options. Unless they are somehow clairvoyant, there's absolutely no way for them to know they need to bring something different.

I think people are going to have to just start expecting it - and the airlines will have to start telling people as well. With between 1-3% of the population having a severe nut / peanut allergy, I expect that things will change quickly. The fact is that you are up in the air with a nut allergic individual and no access to medical help. Being gracious and kind and realizing you can minimize reactions is important.

And to the person questioning the egg - seriously, I've seen all sorts of crap brought onto planes. It comes with flying a lot. I wouldn't do it, but I have seen people put all sorts of things into their carry ons and then bring them out to eat.

I think if anything, this thread is a good reminder to avoid bringing peanut products on an airplane in the future, since there is always a possibility a peanut free request might be made.
And that is a lovely thing to do. But it's still unrealistic to think that 100% of the adults/children on any given flight will obediently comply with a peanut ban. Will most? I think so. But it really has to be assumed at least one or a few passengers will go ahead and eat peanut products of some type. Not everyone is gracious and kind, and some really don't understand the possible danger. So the decision to fly is a matter of the adult or parent deciding whether the potential risk is worth it to them or their child.

I will answer this. I take mine because I think the risk is extremely minimal so long as the overt peanuts are not being served on the plane. I wipe down the tray table and armrests and I book the first flight in the morning because that's probably the most clean a plane is all day. My son has been around people all his life that eat peanut butter sandwiches or other candy and he lived. He made it through daycare, school, and halfway through college eating in groups and the smell or proximity did not set off a reaction despite being one of the most highly allergic out there.

If, after all my studying of this, I felt that his life was in danger I would not fly and I would not put that on anyone.

With the RyanAir incident I am not 100% convinced yet that the man 4 rows in front of the girl was the culprit. It seems more likely that she may have picked up some residue on the tray table or armrest and ingested. This doctor's commentary at this link is pretty good: http://allergicliving.com/2014/08/21/anaphylaxis-in-the-air-two-recent-airline-incidents/

So while I do take all the precautions I can, I try to not to unduly make demands that aren't founded in evidence and cause others with competing issues hardship. I hate how the airlines handle this by not telling anyone till they are on the plane. That is totally unfair to others with health issues that are relying on the snacks they brought. It's a shame because it just causes grief for everyone. But then again, I don't have a problem with a diabetic eating peanut butter on my son's flight. When he was a baby and wiggly, I may have asked to be moved to another row but we've always traveled in groups so my son has only had family members around him on flights.

I will probably get flamed by the PA folks, but I am very doubtful that having random/few people on the plane "breaking the peanut free" rule or needing that peanut butter sandwich is going to cause death or difficulties in the overall peanut allergic population. I just don't. Of course getting to this place has been an evolution for me. When I first found out my son had this allergy, I fell into the panic for quite some time.
Thank you Christine.

To the person talking about peanut butter crackers as a "need" for diabetics - no, it isn't a need. Cheese can be used just as easily. Usually we recommend a complex carb and a protein for someone with low blood sugar. There are other options.

Again I have to point out that that was NEVER said. I, nor anyone else that's posted, has said it's a need. If you go back and look at what I wrote, I said that she carries the crackers to accommodate her diabetic needs.

Do people really have that much difficultly with reading comprehension or are they purposely trying to not understand the difference? :confused3

To have a medical need does not equal "she needs" the crackers. It's what a person chooses to carry in her regular everyday life for her own health concerns. Yes, she could change to something else, but that is her preference. She has every right to have that food available to her, despite your thinking otherwise.

But that is neither here nor there; the point of the thread is that there was no advance notice to the passengers and people like my mother, a diabetic, would have to find alternatives on the fly. That's selfish of the person with allergies.

Again, your child has other travel options just as a diabetic has other food options. You'd be much safer taking advantage of those other options than relying on others to adhere to your medical requests. :thumbsup2

So if you'll avoid a carnival because it presents a danger, why wouldn't you do the same for a plane if the allergy is that severe? Adults only get the chance to not comply if you decide first to go somewhere high risk first.

OK, I'll ask YOU... WHY would you willingly take your child into a metal tube at 35,000 feet and force yourself to RELY on 150+ total strangers to do the right thing? If even one person does something to expose your child (whether through ignorance or rudeness), your child could die. It seems awfully brave to be willing to take that chance.

You readily admit you avoid places with your child where they will probably be exposed. So why take the chance on an airplane?

So the decision of flying or not is a matter of the adult or parent deciding whether the potential risk is worth it or not.

Let's all remember that getting on a plane is not always people heading on vacation - there is not always a choice to be made with regards to whether one is going to fly or not.

I imagine that some airlines are going to become peanut free before too long - or at least they'll start offering peanut free flights.

People who have never dealt with a serious food allergy always make the super helpful suggestion to "stay home". Thanks. That's useful.

Yep. I get those comments all the time when discussing my food allergy. It's usually from people who are too lazy to think of anything useful to say. It's gets old.

I will answer this. I take mine because I think the risk is extremely minimal so long as the overt peanuts are not being served on the plane. I wipe down the tray table and armrests and I book the first flight in the morning because that's probably the most clean a plane is all day. My son has been around people all his life that eat peanut butter sandwiches or other candy and he lived. He made it through daycare, school, and halfway through college eating in groups and the smell or proximity did not set off a reaction despite being one of the most highly allergic out there.

If, after all my studying of this, I felt that his life was in danger I would not fly and I would not put that on anyone.

With the RyanAir incident I am not 100% convinced yet that the man 4 rows in front of the girl was the culprit. It seems more likely that she may have picked up some residue on the tray table or armrest and ingested. This doctor's commentary at this link is pretty good: http://allergicliving.com/2014/08/21/anaphylaxis-in-the-air-two-recent-airline-incidents/

So while I do take all the precautions I can, I try to not to unduly make demands that aren't founded in evidence and cause others with competing issues hardship. I hate how the airlines handle this by not telling anyone till they are on the plane. That is totally unfair to others with health issues that are relying on the snacks they brought. It's a shame because it just causes grief for everyone. But then again, I don't have a problem with a diabetic eating peanut butter on my son's flight. When he was a baby and wiggly, I may have asked to be moved to another row but we've always traveled in groups so my son has only had family members around him on flights.

I will probably get flamed by the PA folks, but I am very doubtful that having random/few people on the plane "breaking the peanut free" rule or needing that peanut butter sandwich is going to cause death or difficulties in the overall peanut allergic population. I just don't. Of course getting to this place has been an evolution for me. When I first found out my son had this allergy, I fell into the panic for quite some time.

Thanks for your answering the posed question and for approaching your child's medical needs in such a level-headed, respectful manner.

I think people are going to have to just start expecting it - and the airlines will have to start telling people as well. With between 1-3% of the population having a severe nut / peanut allergy, I expect that things will change quickly. The fact is that you are up in the air with a nut allergic individual and no access to medical help. Being gracious and kind and realizing you can minimize reactions is important.

And to the person questioning the egg - seriously, I've seen all sorts of crap brought onto planes. It comes with flying a lot. I wouldn't do it, but I have seen people put all sorts of things into their carry ons and then bring them out to eat.

Sure. Expect more regulations vs personal responsibility. Seems to be the way society is going nowadays.

I just can't believe how people can be so rude. I would never think of taking anything on a plane with any kind of peanuts or nuts knowing how many people are allergic to nuts.

see I never give one thought about who might be allergic to what on a plane. I don't give other strangers absolutely one thought at all. I go to the snack area, get a soda and some nuts for one reason. I want a snack.
Actually I'm a bit po'ed because it seems now when I fly I have to now take into consideration what 199 other people may or maynot be allergic too.

Can I wear perfume? that may cause as asthmatic to go into shock? what about a tuna sandwich? I've packed those for cross country flights (I hate airline food)

so now in order to fly I've got to;
deal with TSA and getting through
deal with luggage fees and getting on board in time to be able to keep my carryon
decide what is safe to eat because god only knows what type of allergies my cabin mates may have.

I long for the days when I only had to worry about some guy falling asleep and snoring.

Let's all remember that getting on a plane is not always people heading on vacation - there is not always a choice to be made with regards to whether one is going to fly or not.

I imagine that some airlines are going to become peanut free before too long - or at least they'll start offering peanut free flights.

Then I'd fully expect people with peanut allergies to stick to those airlines and help themselves... But I feel like my expectation is too great.

I don't see many instances when a flight for a child would be absolutely necessary.

I got to page 13 and decided to post...so if this has already been brought up then sorry! I would refrain from eating the nuts much like others but I will ask this; what it if it was something besides nuts...

Like wheat that is in so many foods, dairy, grape jelly as mentioned in jest. Where then do you draw the line? We had a girl spend the night once and she was so allergic to certain foods ; it seemed she only ate chick peas poor kid(not that chick peas aren't good, lol) I accidentally got her prepared meal near some pizza and somehow it became cross contaminated. Her face swelled up, I felt awful. Are there other foods or items that simply cause allergic reactions when in the air besides nuts?

ETA: it figures I just noticed others posted the same question...sorry I gave up at pg 13

You're right. However, I'm willing to wager a dole whip (anyone allergic to those? ;)) if a child is travelling with an adult, it is PROBABLY (90%+) for a vacation.

ETA: Again I say, if the child (or adult) allergy is that severe (draw your own line in the sand), why would you take the risk? What is more important than someone's life? (hmm... that sounds familiar)

I doubt it. I don't think there's enough airlines that one will take that risk. I think you alienate MORE clients than you attract. I could be wrong though. It's happened once or twice. :)

Thanks for your answering the posed question and for approaching your child's medical needs in such a level-headed, respectful manner.

As I said, it's been an evolution for me. Early on, I was scared to death. Considered quitting my job which wasn't feasible at all and wrapping my son in a bubble. For many years, it was very hard (especially when he was a toddler). It doesn't help when you start visiting peanut allergy support groups and websites (and they are helpful) but everyone's kind of freaking out and death is always around the corner. It's just hard to not succumb to that--and I did for a time.

But I suppose time and seeing my son be in close contact with people who eat sort of got me past it. We certainly took all the reasonable steps: nut-free lunch table, excused from school activities were peanuts were the focus (they actually had a peanut/spoon race as part of some event in the classroom, epi-pens everywhere, nut-free airlines, no chinese food (until PF Changs came along), and a variety of other measures.

I think by the time my son was about 10, I realized that with reasonable precautions, he wouldn't die if we had peanut butter in the same area.

He's still tests off the charts for peanuts (other nuts are more moderate) that his allergist refuses to do a food challenge on him, even in the hospital.

Make no mistake, I think if my son touched an airline tray with residue and then touched his mouth or eye, he'd be in big trouble. He is careful at the baseball stadium too because there are lots of peanut eaters so he wipes down his seat.

We have to answer several questions when buying airline tickets. Adding one about a peanut allergy should not be a big deal.
OR
If someone or their child has a nut allergy, they could call the airline ahead of time to let them know. Then the airlines could email those on the flight to ask them not to bring peanut/nut foods.

It's foolish to wait until passengers have boarded to let them know about an allergy. You know there's going to be at least one person who won't do as asked.

see I never give one thought about who might be allergic to what on a plane. I don't give other strangers absolutely one thought at all. I go to the snack area, get a soda and some nuts for one reason. I want a snack.
Actually I'm a bit po'ed because it seems now when I fly I have to now take into consideration what 199 other people may or maynot be allergic too.

Can I wear perfume? that may cause as asthmatic to go into shock? what about a tuna sandwich? I've packed those for cross country flights (I hate airline food)

so now in order to fly I've got to;
deal with TSA and getting through
deal with luggage fees and getting on board in time to be able to keep my carryon
decide what is safe to eat because god only knows what type of allergies my cabin mates may have.

I long for the days when I only had to worry about some guy falling asleep and snoring.

LOL, I really do have a problem with perfume but only the cheap stuff. No joke, when at the mall, I have to walk quickly past and on the opposite side of stores like Bath and Body Works and I steer clear of the perfume aisles in stores like WalMart and Target because I have had trouble breathing. People mustn't spray on planes because I have never had a problem. That said, if someone did and I had a problem , I'd either pull out my inhaler or epi pen.

As I said, it's been an evolution for me. Early on, I was scared to death. Considered quitting my job which wasn't feasible at all and wrapping my son in a bubble. For many years, it was very hard (especially when he was a toddler). It doesn't help when you start visiting peanut allergy support groups and websites (and they are helpful) but everyone's kind of freaking out and death is always around the corner. It's just hard to not succumb to that--and I did for a time.

But I suppose time and seeing my son be in close contact with people who eat sort of got me past it. We certainly took all the reasonable steps: nut-free lunch table, excused from school activities were peanuts were the focus (they actually had a peanut/spoon race as part of some event in the classroom, epi-pens everywhere, nut-free airlines, no chinese food (until PF Changs came along), and a variety of other measures.

I think by the time my son was about 10, I realized that with reasonable precautions, he wouldn't die if we had peanut butter in the same area.

He's still tests off the charts for peanuts (other nuts are more moderate) that his allergist refuses to do a food challenge on him, even in the hospital.

Make no mistake, I think if my son touched an airline tray with residue and then touched his mouth or eye, he'd be in big trouble. He is careful at the baseball stadium too because there are lots of peanut eaters so he wipes down his seat.

I have the same fears with my stinging insect-allergic son. He runs cross country (and track) and last season there were bees swarming on the trail; runners ahead of him alerted those behind, and thankfully he wasn't stung. He's 16 and often is just so much the teenage boy, thinking he's invincible, and forgets his epipen. I could alleviate some fear by telling him not to run or participate in other sports, but it's a risk he and I are willing to take (as I'm sure flying is for most food-allergic people).

We can only do what we can do to protect our kids, and then they have to do what they can do to protect themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter