Waiting to board our plane and....

I can't honestly believe that someone on here had the nerve to call the "no peanuts" request an "all about me attitude." Food allergies can and do kill people. And if the person getting on the plane has a severe peanut allergy (or tree nut allergy) that also includes airborne particles then yes, peanut M&Ms in row 27 could lead to a life-threatening reaction at 35,000 feet. Believe me when I say that those of who have children with food allergies wish we didn't have to ask other people to NOT eat food but we also wish our kids didn't have food allergies that could kill them. There's no "all about me" attitude here - and there's nothing about being "politically correct." I'd like everyone on this thread who says "too bad for that person with food allergies, I'm going to eat my peanuts anyway" to put themselves in the shoes of any parent who has watched their child have an allergic reaction and wondered if their child might actually die because of the selfish person who thought eating peanuts was their "right" regardless of who it might harm. I'd like those people to imagine for just one minute what it would be like to be a person with a food allergy who starts having an allergic reaction in mid-air. You probably won't be able to breathe. You might get hives. You might vomit. You might pass out. You might even die. All because someone was too selfish to put the peanuts away. I fail to understand why it is so impossible for people to show a little compassion for their fellow human beings. I guess compassion is just not "cool" anymore.

I don't think anyone is saying that they have an all about me attitude. what we are saying that if you have that severe of a medical condition, YOU HAVE to be responsible for your health. Why is the person "selfish" for wanting to eat what they brought on the plane?

I think I am extremely compassionate. LOL, I am compassionate enough to not make total strangers responsible for the well being of my kids. I gave birth to them, I take care of them. I think it's pretty selfish that someone now is forcing me to take responsibility for someone else's not dying when all I wanted was to fly.

what happens if I don't hear whatever announcement and eat a p&J sandwich anyway? Now I'M responsible. a responsibility I neither asked for or was given a choice. If I asked to be switched to another plane would I be accommodated? would you be willing to pay for my fee? what about first class? would you be willing to buy first class seats or would that not matter because just a whiff of peanut smell is enough to cause a reaction?

Now let's say I'm diabetic and I've brought peanut butter crackers, do you offer the alternative or do I now have to hope for a viable alternative, especially since beforehand I had no way of knowing

Last edited:
My daughter has a nut allergy. I've written about it before.

The shape of the peanut protein, when inhaled or ingested, causes a severe allergy. The body reacts quickly and shuts down within a few minutes.

I appreciate it when people realize they can be without peanut butter for 2-3 hours for her safety. On our last flight, the attendant told everyone they were serving an alternative snack (and honestly, the alternative was nicer) and then if someone really wanted peanuts, they could ask her when they were getting off the plane and she would have them waiting. I thought it was nice they offered.

To the person talking about peanut butter crackers as a "need" for diabetics - no, it isn't a need. Cheese can be used just as easily. Usually we recommend a complex carb and a protein for someone with low blood sugar. There are other options.

Again, thanks to everyone who does comply. Those of us with peanut allergic children really appreciate it.

Yes. cheese is an alternative, but at some point probably needs to be refrigerated. The person who thought they could eat their peanut butter crackers may not have a random piece of cheese (that again may need refrigeration) with them. And with very limited food service on flights, you are not going to be offered cheese during the flight.

My daughter has a nut allergy. I've written about it before.

The shape of the peanut protein, when inhaled or ingested, causes a severe allergy. The body reacts quickly and shuts down within a few minutes.

I appreciate it when people realize they can be without peanut butter for 2-3 hours for her safety. On our last flight, the attendant told everyone they were serving an alternative snack (and honestly, the alternative was nicer) and then if someone really wanted peanuts, they could ask her when they were getting off the plane and she would have them waiting. I thought it was nice they offered.

To the person talking about peanut butter crackers as a "need" for diabetics - no, it isn't a need. Cheese can be used just as easily. Usually we recommend a complex carb and a protein for someone with low blood sugar. There are other options.

Again, thanks to everyone who does comply. Those of us with peanut allergic children really appreciate it.

The point is not that people have other options. The point is that they have to actually KNOW that they need to bring the other options. Unless they are somehow clairvoyant, there's absolutely no way for them to know they need to bring something different.

serious question. I don't have any children with food allergies.

If you have a child that can die from the dust or smell of a certain type of food, how do you deal on a daily basis? if you have a shellfish allergy

Do you ask the patrons around you to not order what you're allergic too?
If you take the train to florida instead of fly, does the entire train have to not eat the item?

The child with the allergy has no option except to avoid the allergen.

The person who prefers peanut butter as their protein has just that - a preference. You can use a bagel and cream cheese. You can use cheese and crackers. You can use a sandwich with meat. Heck, you can get an egg and bring it with you in a thermos. There are so many shakes out there for balancing blood sugar that it is impossible to list them all. You can use simple sugars, such as juice, in an emergency.

What can the peanut allergic kid do? Just sit there and die while the person eats their preferred snack? That is just selfish. Don't sugar coat it. It is selfish.

I can't honestly believe that someone on here had the nerve to call the "no peanuts" request an "all about me attitude." Food allergies can and do kill people. And if the person getting on the plane has a severe peanut allergy (or tree nut allergy) that also includes airborne particles then yes, peanut M&Ms in row 27 could lead to a life-threatening reaction at 35,000 feet. Believe me when I say that those of who have children with food allergies wish we didn't have to ask other people to NOT eat food but we also wish our kids didn't have food allergies that could kill them.
No one has yet answered this question, hopefully you will... WHY would you willingly take your child into a metal tube at 35,000 feet and force yourself to RELY on 150+ total strangers to do the right thing? If even one person does something to expose your child (whether through ignorance or rudeness), your child could die. It seems awfully brave to be willing to take that chance.

The person who prefers peanut butter as their protein has just that - a preference. You can use a bagel and cream cheese. You can use cheese and crackers. You can use a sandwich with meat. Heck, you can get an egg and bring it with you in a thermos. There are so many shakes out there for balancing blood sugar that it is impossible to list them all. You can use simple sugars, such as juice, in an emergency.

What can the peanut allergic kid do? Just sit there and die while the person eats their preferred snack? That is just selfish. Don't sugar coat it. It is selfish.

the problem is Sookie, we don't walk around airports with thermos's, extra sandwiches and bagels and cream cheese in our back pockets. in the op's example one is waiting to board a plane. so unless the flight attendants have the stuff on hand, it is not a preference.

I'm not sugar coating it, folks need to take responsibility for their own health, asking 200 strangers imo to be responsible for my kids is the selfish part

Can you please let us know how someone, who planned ahead and brought the allergen with them (say a pb&j sandwich), all of a sudden find a bagel and cream cheese, cheese and crackers, a meat sandwich, or even an egg? These announcements, even if made in the concourse, may not be heard or understood by everyone.

serious question. I don't have any children with food allergies.

If you have a child that can die from the dust or smell of a certain type of food, how do you deal on a daily basis? if you have a shellfish allergy

Do you ask the patrons around you to not order what you're allergic too?
If you take the train to florida instead of fly, does the entire train have to not eat the item?

It isn't a smell - it is the fact that protein can be released in peanut dust, and then inhaled.

How do we deal with it?

• We check food labels - constantly.
  • We don't eat out places that have loose peanuts or serve peanut / tree nut entrees.
  • We call ahead and speak with the managers about special menus when we do go out to eat.
  • We tell all teachers about my DD's allergy. All of them.
  • We have business cards made up with my daughter's picture on it, and it describes her allergy, how to start treatment and get emergency care, and how to contact us. We had those out to the front office staff, her teachers, and the cafeteria staff so they all know who she is and how to treat her.
  • We carry medication on our person at all times.
  • My daughter carries medicine at all times.
  • She wears a medical alert bracelet at all times.
  • Some places we have to avoid. She is 14 now and has never been to a carnival or circus.
We have to think 2 steps ahead of her allergy. Adults not complying with a simple request to safeguard her health while she is a child is sickening to me.

Can you please let us know how someone, who planned ahead and brought the allergen with them (say a pb&j sandwich), all of a sudden find a bagel and cream cheese, cheese and crackers, a meat sandwich, or even an egg? These announcements, even if made in the concourse, may not be heard or understood by everyone.
Are you kidding me? This is the board where people talked about taking crock pots on vacation. I fail to see how people can't think ahead.

And sandwiches and other shops are easily available before and after each flight. Since flights offer alternative snacks (even snack boxes!!), I fail to see that there are no options available for peanut loving airline passengers who become belligerent at the thought of having no nuts for 2-3 hours.

No one has yet answered this question, hopefully you will... WHY would you willingly take your child into a metal tube at 35,000 feet and force yourself to RELY on 150+ total strangers to do the right thing? If even one person does something to expose your child (whether through ignorance or rudeness), your child could die. It seems awfully brave to be willing to take that chance.

I will answer this. I take mine because I think the risk is extremely minimal so long as the overt peanuts are not being served on the plane. I wipe down the tray table and armrests and I book the first flight in the morning because that's probably the most clean a plane is all day. My son has been around people all his life that eat peanut butter sandwiches or other candy and he lived. He made it through daycare, school, and halfway through college eating in groups and the smell or proximity did not set off a reaction despite being one of the most highly allergic out there.

If, after all my studying of this, I felt that his life was in danger I would not fly and I would not put that on anyone.

With the RyanAir incident I am not 100% convinced yet that the man 4 rows in front of the girl was the culprit. It seems more likely that she may have picked up some residue on the tray table or armrest and ingested. This doctor's commentary at this link is pretty good: http://allergicliving.com/2014/08/21/anaphylaxis-in-the-air-two-recent-airline-incidents/

So while I do take all the precautions I can, I try to not to unduly make demands that aren't founded in evidence and cause others with competing issues hardship. I hate how the airlines handle this by not telling anyone till they are on the plane. That is totally unfair to others with health issues that are relying on the snacks they brought. It's a shame because it just causes grief for everyone. But then again, I don't have a problem with a diabetic eating peanut butter on my son's flight. When he was a baby and wiggly, I may have asked to be moved to another row but we've always traveled in groups so my son has only had family members around him on flights.

I will probably get flamed by the PA folks, but I am very doubtful that having random/few people on the plane "breaking the peanut free" rule or needing that peanut butter sandwich is going to cause death or difficulties in the overall peanut allergic population. I just don't. Of course getting to this place has been an evolution for me. When I first found out my son had this allergy, I fell into the panic for quite some time.

I flew SW last Monday and Friday. They did not have peanuts. Only pretzels and cookies (butter).

Every single time I have flown them, we receive them. I know because I hoarde them and keep them in my carry on. That way, I can have a little "vacation" snack for back at work.

They can avoid the situation, yes? We have to do it all the time. It's not always preferable and it doesn't always feel fair, but we do it for the benefit of our child.

Obviously these kids have some success in their regular life if they're alive. Placing yourself into a tiny tube with crowds of people and an allergy to a common ingredient isn't exactly the safest choice.

Why is the responsibility falling on a strangers medical choice over the person or family with the issue? The diabetic isn't expecting someone else to have those crackers, or cheese, or eggs, or OJ... They're taking care of themselves. Why is okay to dictate their medical accommodations but not the person with the allergy?

Last edited:
Are there really airlines that still give out peanuts to passengers? I can't remember the last time peanuts was a snack option on a flight for me. It's been years and years.

Southwest did on my last flight. I flew on American last month, 3 hour flight and there were no snacks, just a drink both directions.

I will answer this. I take mine because I think the risk is extremely minimal so long as the overt peanuts are not being served on the plane. I wipe down the tray table and armrests and I book the first flight in the morning because that's probably the most clean a plane is all day. My son has been around people all his life that eat peanut butter sandwiches or other candy and he lived. He made it through daycare, school, and halfway through college eating in groups and the smell or proximity did not set off a reaction despite being one of the most highly allergic out there.

If, after all my studying of this, I felt that his life was in danger I would not fly and I would not put that on anyone.

With the RyanAir incident I am not 100% convinced yet that the man 4 rows in front of the girl was the culprit. It seems more likely that she may have picked up some residue on the tray table or armrest and ingested. This doctor's commentary at this link is pretty good: http://allergicliving.com/2014/08/21/anaphylaxis-in-the-air-two-recent-airline-incidents/

So while I do take all the precautions I can, I try to not to unduly make demands that aren't founded in evidence and cause others with competing issues hardship. I hate how the airlines handle this by not telling anyone till they are on the plane. That is totally unfair to others with health issues that are relying on the snacks they brought. It's a shame because it just causes grief for everyone. But then again, I don't have a problem with a diabetic eating peanut butter on my son's flight. When he was a baby and wiggly, I may have asked to be moved to another row but we've always traveled in groups so my son has only had family members around him on flights.

I will probably get flamed by the PA folks, but I am very doubtful that having random/few people on the plane "breaking the peanut free" rule or needing that peanut butter sandwich is going to cause death or difficulties in the overall peanut allergic population. I just don't. Of course getting to this place has been an evolution for me. When I first found out my son had this allergy, I fell into the panic for quite some time.

The voice of reason.

I am not trying to be a witch, seriously, but even one of the posters (Christine, I believe who has a son with a severe allergy) says you may die, not you will die. Sometimes, when peanut allergies are discussed, people are way too quick to say their child will die. I think that is overly dramatic and where the argument loses credibility. Yes, maybe if the reaction escalates in the proper environment it is possible. But to make it sound like the mere presence of food with a peanut in it will be deadly is dramatic. If this were the case, people with peanut allergies would be dropping dead everyday, in large numbers.

So someone else is supposed to cook an egg in a thermos because your kid may be on the flight with them? Really?

Last edited:
the problem is Sookie, we don't walk around airports with thermos's, extra sandwiches and bagels and cream cheese in our back pockets. in the op's example one is waiting to board a plane. so unless the flight attendants have the stuff on hand, it is not a preference.

I'm not sugar coating it, folks need to take responsibility for their own health, asking 200 strangers imo to be responsible for my kids is the selfish part

You can eat whatever you want for the rest of your life - except for the few hours you are on a plane with a nut allergic individual.

Oh, the horror. I feel so badly for you. Especially when your options are pretty much limitless.

I hope no one dies because you insist on breaking out your peanuts - because you WANTED them. Not needed. Wanted.

BTW, I also have low blood sugar at times. Once I was on a plane during a business trip. We were stuck in the heat with no AC, on the tarmac, and I hadn't eaten in 18 hours. I told the stewardess when she came to check on me, because I had started dry heaving into a bag. I wasn't acting "right" and was shaking by the time she got to me. Low and behold, suddenly a BOX full of food appeared in front of me - cheese, crackers, a beef strip, a dessert, and two cans of juice. There were probably other goodies in there, but I can't remember them. I was taken care of, and would have been if I had asked sooner. There are always other options when treating low blood sugar.

The only other option for the nut allergic child may be severe illness, injury, or death. I would hate for that to be on your conscious.

I wouldn't want to put someone with peanut allergies at risk, so I would not have a problem refraining from eating peanuts on a flight.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Just don't eat peanuts on that particular flight. It's not a big inconvenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter