Wait list versus Stalking

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
Like many others, even though I have wait list(s) set up, I will continue to stalk the "RAT" tool manually.

I have had much better luck stalking than relying on my wait lists being filled.

My stalking habits have not changed, however, recently I have had two wait list filled !

Does anyone else think that the wait list process has improved?

DVC doesn't share how the do waitlists, IMO they don't feel that waitlists are important but they will go through the motions. A few years ago they changed the waitlist rules to allow only two active at a time. The info that I have been told by various CM's, a software program runs at night to match requests and a report is created. The next day a CM uses the report to change reservations.

Recently there are reports that the program can run during the day and that it can put inventory on hold. A CM still has to create or modify the reservations.

People are still reporting that stalking creates more matches.

:earsboy: Bill

I thought they changed in the past year or so to hold all cancelled reservations now for review, ie to compare against the WLs, therefore making stalking inefficient (unless you're looking for creative solutions you can't waitlist)? Thanks in advance for clarification...

Like many others, even though I have wait list(s) set up, I will continue to stalk the "RAT" tool manually.

I have had much better luck stalking than relying on my wait lists being filled.

My stalking habits have not changed, however, recently I have had two wait list filled !

Does anyone else think that the wait list process has improved?
Anecdotal evidence and second hand evidence suggest it's improved but not perfect.

Just guessing, but I think they decided to run the match programs more often during periods of heavier demand. AFAIK, they haven't made the process real-time (which would check all cancellations against the waitlist before releasing them back into general inventory).

So if getting something in particular is very important to you, it's still worth it to stalk. But that's JMHO. YMMV.

At one point, I do believe they had the waitlist running real-time. I haven't bothered stalking since then. They may have backed off of that, but it is definitely more frequent than it use to be.

At one poinsoftware.t, I do believe they had the waitlist running real-time. I haven't bothered stalking since then. They may have backed off of that, but it is definitely more frequent than it use to be.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I do not think it was ever real-time as that would have necessitated some different software. We are still getting reports of finding exactly what is on a waitlist by stalking.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I do not think it was ever real-time as that would have necessitated some different software. We are still getting reports of finding exactly what is on a waitlist by stalking.
It would be a simple database trigger. Database performance would be the only limiting factor. I've cancelled reservations and watched as only one or two days were available immediately afterwards; the others apparently gobbled up by waitlists.

It would be a simple database trigger. Database performance would be the only limiting factor. I've cancelled reservations and watched as only one or two days were available immediately afterwards; the others apparently gobbled up by waitlists.
I always see the same thing now.

I thought they changed in the past year or so to hold all cancelled reservations now for review, ie to compare against the WLs, therefore making stalking inefficient (unless you're looking for creative solutions you can't waitlist)? Thanks in advance for clarification...

I think the intended way for wls to be filled lasted about a month. And then stalking worked again.

When stalking don't waste time with the RAT! Just go to the booking tool. RAT is nearly useless IME. Shows me all sorts of things that aren't real and takes too many clicks.

The problem with waitlist is all the nights have to come through at once. By stalking, you can try to piece together individual nights.

The problem with waitlist is all the nights have to come through at once. By stalking, you can try to piece together individual nights.
There are ways to wait list in smaller increments that will improve one's chances. At this point wait listing is an art form it seems.

Stalking you might have to switch rooms.

I pieced together 5 nights in a BWV studio, nights 3,4,5 first (changed the waitlist) , then night 2 (changed the waitlist), then night 1 came by waitlist. Member Services automatically combined them.

There does seem to be a change (for the better) in W/L'ing. I had a last-minute (by Disney standards--2 1/2 months out) need for a studio at SSR 1/9-1/16...got 1/9-1/12 right away, but had to wait list the missing 3 nights...I started w/a W/L for 1/14-1/15 (also have a "points shortage" so knew I'd be paying cash for one night...thought that Friday night (1/13) would be best...anyway, I too stalked...and the W/L for 1/14-1/15 came through before I saw any availability (and I was looking up to 6-7 times/day)...then I decided to use one-time-use points for 1/13, and did some "maneuvering" w/MS to make that happen...they were super about it...but of course still had to W/L 1/13...once again, the W/L came through before I saw any availability...and on the day it came through I was checking every hour or so ... the last time I checked (just before 4), my W/L on my dashboard disappeared, but there was no change to the points total and no new reservation...so I called MS who said my W/L had matched and so they put all 7 nights together in one reservation (yay!)...the point being, I never saw that SV studio come available, even with "extreme" stalking (the day I got the W/L I looked at least 8 times)...if I had to do it again, I'd still routinely (altho probably not 8 times/day...I rarely have that kind of free time/anxiety!) stalk...but looks like at least for the now the W/L is working pretty well...

Has not improved for us!! Have a trip in three weeks - 2 waitlists activated. I "stalked" and got what I wanted. Had to do it piecemeal in several different reservations but now have all week at BLT! :)

Thanks for all this great advice. I am WL'ing for 1 extra night to add to our Poly trip in a couple weeks. So far, no luck but I am taking your advice and stalking with the booking tool (not RAT). Will they let you keep the WL active past the 7 day mark if you call MS? I know it expires 7 days prior.

Thanks for all this great advice. I am WL'ing for 1 extra night to add to our Poly trip in a couple weeks. So far, no luck but I am taking your advice and stalking with the booking tool (not RAT). Will they let you keep the WL active past the 7 day mark if you call MS? I know it expires 7 days prior.

No, you'll need to either check online or call once it gets to be less than 7 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter