VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy
Your observations of your last trip, especially how WL seems to be changing has me pondering...has social media created a world of lack of emotions, in other words, what once seemed like a grand gesture of a Welcome Home at the door for many of us here, does that not mean the same to the generations behind us anymore. Have we become that de-sensitized that we dont acknowledge a greeting anymore? Does Disney feel there is no need to put the things in place that once made us fans take note? Just an observation from my perspective

Thoughts anyone? Im curious how others see it

Sleepy
Your observations of your last trip, especially how WL seems to be changing has me pondering...has social media created a world of lack of emotions, in other words, what once seemed like a grand gesture of a Welcome Home at the door for many of us here, does that not mean the same to the generations behind us anymore. Have we become that de-sensitized that we dont acknowledge a greeting anymore? Does Disney feel there is no need to put the things in place that once made us fans take note? Just an observation from my perspective

I don't believe Disney has consciously made the decision to not do the things we long-time fans came to love because they see a trend of a "de-sensititized" younger generations. Call me callow, but I see it more as a corporate Disney move to keep the bottom line attractive to shareholders. Our whole notion of the U.S. as a capitalist nation where companies built products or goods, where they tried to adjust to supply and demand, where if you built a better widget you'd be successful, and where your reputation was king have largely disappeared the past 40 years.

Large companies no longer attempt just to make a profit so that they can pay their employees and executives, rather they fight tooth and nail for every write-off and cost reduction they can find in order to make the company more attractive to mega share-buying stockholders whose influx of money makes the company "successful." Company X announces that they have installed an algorithmic program and processing center that eliminates the need for 1,000 employees. "It will make us more efficient and productive," they claim. Their stock price rises $3.00 a share, and a large institutional investment company buys 3M shares for a nifty $9M bump in finances for Company X. An even larger brokerage firm (which actually builds nothing of substance) gives Company X a "good buy" rating, encourages other large firms to invest in Company X, and for the quarter that follows, Company X's stock shines and attracts hundreds of millions of dollars in stock shares. Meantime, Company X has done nothing of real value other than fire 1,000 employees and replace them with a computer program.

Sorry that was so long-winded (and oversimplified, of course), but my point is that for me, Disney has purposefully lowered the bar in order to make more money and remain a profitable "buy" from large shareholders. I'm convinced that every move they make is with that constant knowledge that they have to balance their guests' needs and their shareholders wants. Disney will build a better widget (ROTR) but alternately increase the price of basic admission...and while they're at it, they'll give you a chance to not have to wait as long in line for $15 pp per day...except, when the parks are crowded, that particular line is huge. We did HM on our first day in MK, and the standby line was listed as 25 minutes. The LL line was as long as ours was, and all they did was merge the LL into our line as you neared the door. But, I digress. pirate:

Luv made a good point moments ago: perhaps the actual reason for the disappointment is because Disney has purposefully used social media to paint a glittering picture of what they offer but then when they don't deliver, we are disappointed. Again, I apologize for my long rumination. As I mentioned on another thread, Disney is still magical for many, and as long as they don't step over a personal line for a particular person, that person will continue to find it magical. And that's all that matters in the end--everyone's own personal space. Granny said it best when he mentioned that Disney may not produce as much magic, but he goes there to produce his own. ;)

I got the "Welcome home" from AKV when I needed to go to the front desk just after arriving there in September (needed tip money), and again from concierge when I moved up. I think it depends on the manager and what they stress for procedure.

I will admit I'm a little put off when the greeting is extended to non-DVC stays. Owners have distinctly purchased our homes away from home and we'll be there for the 50 years of our contract. Hotel guests are flighty in where they choose to stay. Two years back I stayed in a hotel room also at AKV and was welcomed home on check-in. Mixed emotions hit me as I did have two other rooms (DVC) reserved for my boys at that time, but I believe the desk was unaware of them or my ownership in the resort. I did smile and got that warm happy feeling.

Sleepy

I do believe that social media has had somewhat of a negative impact on our expectations, rather than has desensitized us. As P said, Disney does hype up the "magic" but more than that, when we read about others "magical moments" it increases our expectations for ourselves. And when Disney (or any entity for that matter) doesn't live up to that expectation, naturally we are disappointed. I am still in the camp of Granny, though. I firmly believe our experiences are what we choose to make of them and my Disney experiences are so profoundly tied into the people that I have shared them with and the joy we have shared. P would undoubtedly call me romantic and sentimental, but that is the core of who I am.

On that mushy note, I wholeheartedly wish a Happy New Year to all, and I hope that 2022 brings us all that we dare to dream for and more!

I feel even pre Covid the ‘Welcome Homes‘ and personal greetings were dwindling, especially since they push the online check in.
Corinne, you are right! Its sort of hard to think back to pre-Covid days since we have been so intwined with it for going on 2 years. Maybe someday, the things we miss so much that we took for granted will return. We can hope!

1) The best place there is Geyser Point, and you can't make reservations.
2) From the edge of Bay Lake next to Geyser Point (music is piped in) and from the balconies of rooms on the lake view side, floors 3, 4, and 5--the higher the floor, the more you can see.

Thanks for this info!!!

8A780BD8-643F-4D94-BB4F-9E7A15E0051B.jpeg
Im sorry if I have posted this before, but thought it a good way to bring in the New Year! This barn is really near my home and Casey and I went by to take a picture today, and I wanted to share with my groupie friends and family. Mickey has taken on a different look on the barn for several years, this being the 3rd rendition in my lifetime. I remember once, someone from Germany on a FB Disney fan page posted a picture of the barn, and I thought it ironic that I could drive too it 5 mins from my house, and yet someone from Germany posted it:-)

We have a barn that's over 100 yrs old that my Great Grandfather built and the roof line lays perfect for me to paint Goofy on it towards our road in addition to being able to see it from I-40/85 if heading East/North. But my concern would be all of a sudden passerby travelers pulling onto our property. Be a great place to have Goofys silhouette like it is on The Barnstormer crashing through the roof.

Last edited:
Sorry that was so long-winded (and oversimplified, of course), but my point is that for me, Disney has purposefully lowered the bar in order to make more money and remain a profitable "buy" from large shareholders. I'm convinced that every move they make is with that constant knowledge that they have to balance their guests' needs and their shareholders wants. ...

Sleepy...I agree with your entire discourse on Disney motivations. For me, I think Disney is just adjusting to supply and demand. Their parks continue to be very crowded, as we saw during the "lower COVID case days" of the pandemic last year. Disney has poured a ton of money into the attractions and that is what they see as driving attendance. The niceties we have discussed probably don't register in the minds of many of the guests at WDW, so they don't even miss them. It seems like Disney has been slowly withdrawing from anything that adds costs and when they eliminate it, they see that it hasn't impacted business.

An interesting example to watch will be the current elimination of Magical Express. For years, Disney explained the free ride of ME as a way to keep more tourist dollars at WDW since people were less likely to rent cars once they got on property. But now with the advent of Uber and Lyft, people have found that it is reasonable to go off site even if they don't have a personal or rental car to drive. So the value to Disney of offering free transportation to on-site guests is diminished somewhat. If ME disappears for a long period (2+ years), it will be interesting to see if it impacts people's decisions to stay on site. Certainly the on site perks have been diminished. Maybe Disney figures that if resort occupancies go down too much, they can just convert part of them to the cash cow called DVC. Personally, I think ME will come back in a monetized format similar to FP.

Sorry, I'm all over the place with these comments. The bottom line is that I don't think Disney is trying to diminish the experience. They are just trying to figure out which of the many perks they have offered in the past are really moving the needle for them. I don't think they believe in the holistic approach of "Disney magic" being the driving force for resort and park attendance.

Add on note to Granny's comment re: Magical Express, I read (from someone who claims to have inside knowledge) that Mears was asking Disney for a lot more money on the new contract. They were caught off guard by Mear's demands and had to show that Disney was the client, not the other way around. Then timing was bad with the pandemic, shut downs and low tourism.

It sounds plausible, and not just a sudden decision by Scrooge McDuck to stick it to the consumer so they could pocket the difference, although we may see they like having that extra cash rattling around and keep it this way.

I think what Disney is doing now is exactly what Tom said, they're waiting it out, seeing what options come up as best. Maybe nothing is the way to go. I believe Disney will pick up another transportation provider.

There are a few players in the field now, Mears does not have a leg up on any of them. (I don't have a positive opinion of Mears when not overseen by Disney and will not give them a try). One of the competitors is even saying they're working to restore the luggage service to/from MCO to what we knew before.

Last edited:
88 days till we are home at BRV!! Trying to be positive going into 2022, got to be better right?????
I sure hope its better for us all!!

Add on note to Granny's comment re: Magical Express, I read (supposedly from someone who has inside knowledge) that Mears was asking Disney for a lot more money on the new contract. They were caught off guard by Mear's demands and had to show that Disney was the client, not the other way around. Then timing was bad with the pandemic, shut downs and low tourism.

I think what Disney is doing now is exactly what Tom said... they're waiting it out, seeing what options come up as best. Maybe nothing is the way to go. I believe Disney will pick up another transportation provider.

There are a few players in the field now, Mears does not have a leg up on any of them. (I don't have a positive opinion of Mears when not overseen by Disney and will not give them a try). One of the competitors is even saying they're working to restore the luggage service to/from MCO to what we knew before.

I saw an article this AM that Uber and Lyft are both going up in price in the Orlando area based on ME pulling out.
I hope WDW does do something in the near future to remedy this

I really need some help here. I've got a group of 9 going Nov-Dec this year. I somehow managed to get a 2 bedroom lockoff. We are 7 adults and 2 children will be 5 and just under 2.

I am torn. Although having an upper floor lake facing room view would be ideal, I think we need ground floor. My mom will be using an ECV which she is new too and doesn't use one in her daily life. We will have a double stroller for the littles as well.

I think ground floor would be better with this group because getting everyone out the door would be less stressful. Being that there won't be an elevator to deal with.

My delimma is I love drinking my coffee and taking in the view in the morning. So since that would be off the table which room would any of you suggest? Or any pointers from your experiences would be very appreciated. This is a first time trip for 5 of our group.

I think ground floor would be better with this group because getting everyone out the door would be less stressful. Being that there won't be an elevator to deal with.

My delimma is I love drinking my coffee and taking in the view in the morning. So since that would be off the table which room would any of you suggest? Or any pointers from your experiences would be very appreciated. This is a first time trip for 5 of our group.

Trippin...good job on securing the 2BR reservation! We've never been assigned a first floor room but I can offer a few comments. If you are on the "bus stop side" of the resort, the villas closest to WL can be a little noisy due to people pulling roller luggage over the wood plank walkway to the main entrance of VWL. So you have the noise, and they walk right by your room. For a 2BR lock-off that would be villas 1506-1508 and 1510-1512.

On same side of the building, but past the walkway entry there are 5 lock-off 2BR villas. There is no path in front of these, and they would be pretty private as they just look out over the woods. I think these would be very good for your purposes.

On the other side of VWL, facing the lake, all of the first floor villas would have significant foot traffic going past the rooms. That would make for less privacy. Again, the villas closer to WL (by the pool) would be the most heavily trafficked. The further you get from the pool, the less the foot traffic going past.

The good news is that VWL is a very small resort, so even if you are in the rooms farthest from the lobby/elevators, it isn't a long walk. Certainly nothing compared to BWV or AKV.

Hopefully that helps, and I hope you have a great trip!

I really need some help here. I've got a group of 9 going Nov-Dec this year. I somehow managed to get a 2 bedroom lockoff. We are 7 adults and 2 children will be 5 and just under 2.

I am torn. Although having an upper floor lake facing room view would be ideal, I think we need ground floor. My mom will be using an ECV which she is new too and doesn't use one in her daily life. We will have a double stroller for the littles as well.

I can vouch for Granny's suggestion that ground floor, bus side but down the long part of the building is quiet. I've had a ground floor room there and it's very peaceful and a nice area to enjoy morning coffee on your patio. There is a little path going down the side of the building but most of it is much further away than the path on the lake side. It only goes up to the gate to the CM area at the end of VWL so really little or no foot traffic on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter