VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Happy birthday Sleepy!!

We too received the email. We are staying 2/14 to 2/20. I wonder how crowded the mornings will be now due to Roaring Forks being closed?

Talking about mornings: If you just want a pastry, I can absolutely recommend the Territory Lounge! A beautiful space, lovely CMs every time I was there, and the best espresso based drinks I have been able to buy on Disney property (in my book far better than Starbucks or Joffreys).

Sleepy, thanks for sharing the info on changes at WL. Like, Granny, I believe this seems a bit more official than a rumor. I too am a bit excited about new eats at the Lodge, though, I will be upset to see Trout Pass gone if thats where its headed.

Jimmy...If they add the bar at Geyser Point with an open seating area overlooking Bay Lake, I think that would be a nice upgrade to Trout Pass. Though Trout Pass bar had a nice cozy feel to it that the new bar probably will not. And of course, according to Disney they are refurbishing Trout Pass so it may end up being something new and different. I guess we're in the "wait and see" mode. :)

Take it with a grain of salt, but a friend of mine who knows lots of CMs in different positions at WDW claims that the WL (hotel part) was suffering from very very low occupancy rates. I think the number that was mentioned was between 50 and 70%. I have no way to verify it, but so far any information that I have gotten through this friend has been very spot on.

Also, as to the question whether more counter service is needed: In December I found Roaring Foarks horribly packed on some occassions. I also think that the new place might actually get people from other resorts to visit because it will have a beautiful location.

And finally I wonder if they might turn Roaring Forks into something similar to the new Wind & Waves Market at Vero Beach. From what I understand this is a counter service as well as the shop for groceries. And I thought I read something about them selling full "meals" there that you can then take back to your villa and eat there. I think that that would actually be a neat concet. Like a full rotisserie chicken with several sides to share as a family. But that is pure speculation on my part!

Flossy...thanks for the information. Speculation had been that WL was never able to hit good occupancy numbers. By many (none of the people here, of course!), it was a stretch to call it a Deluxe Resort compared to the monorail resorts or YC/BC.

Your thoughts on what they might do with Roaring Fork is interesting. As I said before, they wouldn't be upgrading the patio area if they intended to turn the space into another gift shop. :)

GOTTA comment on Geyser Point, and Feb 2017 opening date.....

I just can't see this as realistic. The structure isn't quite done, the approaches are not done (think: getting shipments of food, and guests, INTO the place) - and THEN, they have to train staff. A new Restaurant would typically take a good two to three weeks for training - in a COMPLETED structure. And it's half way into January.

I think this "opening Date" is being driven by a "Reno Date" for Roaring Forks. Geyser Point just isn't ready to do business. I would bet that it COULD open, the right way, around summer 2017.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PATRICK!!!

View attachment 214518
Happy birthday sleepy! :bday::yay:
party: HAPPY BIRTHDAY SLEEPY ZZZZZZzz :faint:
party:Happy Birthday Sleepy!!!!
Hope you have a great day!!:bday:
party: Happy Birthday Sleepy! party:
Happy Birthday SleepySlyDog!!!!
:bday: Happy Birthday Sleepy - Sly - Snoopy Dog !!! :bday:
Happy Birthday Sleepy!!!
Happy Birthday SleepyDog! :bday:
Hmmmmm, so what's happening tomorrow? Oh yes, to the keeper of our thread,
:cake:Happy Birthday Sleepydog!!!!:cake:

View attachment 214412
Whew!!! Thank you each and every one for the warm birthday wishes. I am sincerely moved, and seeing these well wishes throughout the day gave me a continuous smile. I've often said on here (and other places) that this is THE friendliest, most family reminiscent thread on the DIS, and these posts prove it. Here's the amazing part: I've met only a couple of you--heck, I think maybe only one of you--yet here you are reaching out. As the influence of social media grows, the world seems to get a little less friendly, less caring, and frankly, angrier. Yet, I can come here to our little Groupies thread and feel the weight of the world sluice right off. It's a place to welcome and be welcomed, and I know many of you feel that way, too. Again, thank you so much for the thoughtfulness and for helping me have a "home away from home." By the by, come May, luv and I plan to finally meet several of you! :thumbsup2

As for the discussion regarding the new resort and the new eatery, I'm both excited and apprehensive. I, too, had heard over the years that the occupancy rate at WL was lower than desired (and perhaps that played into the intimacy of the resort), so turning roughly half of it into DVC isn't surprising. I just hope it will keep that homey feeling. I don't know about the restaurant, but they better not mess with the made-to-order Mickey waffles!

Happy Birthday Sleepy!!
:cake::bday::cake:
Happy birthday Sleepy!!

We too received the email. We are staying 2/14 to 2/20. I wonder how crowded the mornings will be now due to Roaring Forks being closed?
Somehow, despite my best attempt to include all my birthday greetings, I left you both out. I swear I clicked "REPLY" for each comment, but it didn't take. I blame gremlins. . .or anti-pixie dust. Whatever, thank you both, too!

We got another Birthday on the way!:cake::bday:
Happy Birthday Blossomz!!!!

Btw, Territory Lounge also has great pub food such as their asian chicken wings, gourmet burger and salad. The food service isn't quick by any stretch, but it's good.

Hello! i just discovered this forum and we are going to be staying at the Villas 3/14- 3/18 for the first time and I am so excited! This will only be our 3rd trip and I am excited to check it out. I did not receive the email about the restaurants and am a bit concerned that if Roaring Forks closes for Renovations and the new restaurant is not ready as some people are speculating, that we will not have any options! I guess we shall see. We have a Waitlist in for 12/19 as when I originally booked it wasn't available, and haven't been able to get it yet. For now we will have a split stay but I am hoping to extend one night if our WL doesn't come through once we get there!

Btw, Territory Lounge also has great pub food such as their asian chicken wings, gourmet burger and salad. The food service isn't quick by any stretch, but it's good.

Agreed. It's been awhile since I've eaten there but they used to have a really good BLT flat bread too. Not sure if it's still on the menu.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOSSOMZ! :bday: party:

Hello! i just discovered this forum and we are going to be staying at the Villas 3/14- 3/18 for the first time and I am so excited! This will only be our 3rd trip and I am excited to check it out. I did not receive the email about the restaurants and am a bit concerned that if Roaring Forks closes for Renovations and the new restaurant is not ready as some people are speculating, that we will not have any options! I guess we shall see. We have a Waitlist in for 12/19 as when I originally booked it wasn't available, and haven't been able to get it yet. For now we will have a split stay but I am hoping to extend one night if our WL doesn't come through once we get there!

Welcome, pinkgirlmommy! welcome3.gif

I have a hard time believing that they will shut down Roaring Fork if an alternative is not yet available. Disney doesn't like to give up revenue streams! :) I think the new food service location will be up and running by March and you won't have a problem. And good luck with that waitlist!

Welcome, pinkgirlmommy! View attachment 214661

I have a hard time believing that they will shut down Roaring Fork if an alternative is not yet available. Disney doesn't like to give up revenue streams! :) I think the new food service location will be up and running by March and you won't have a problem. And good luck with that waitlist!

I agree with Granny. They're not going to leave you with no food options. One of the restaurants will be open. Time will tell which one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter