VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

You’re not upsetting me at all Cindy! The nature of my profession (unfortunately) provides me with insight on current salaries…I am well aware starting salaries are quite high, and, in some cases, staggering, but I digress….

If I had to put it in a nutshell, what I find frustrating is how they have taken so much away, and continue to increase prices on everything. Yes, it can be said of all businesses currently, but the company reported significant earnings (despite Covid)….they’re just becoming more greedy in my opinion. While I certainly am used to change, especially when it pertains to Disney, it makes me sad to think so much has changed and I wonder what our future visits will look like. I will not wait in long queues, and I really don’t think I want to “pay for play” either. I’m not saying we cannot afford it, but I do not see us paying for Genie+/Lightening Lane etc. Never say never I suppose, but at this time I am not feeling the love, and it makes me very sad. 😞 On a positive note, I will say we have no regrets on our DVC purchase so many years ago, and I will cherish our memories forever. Also, to bring this back on topic, perhaps our future stays will mainly be VWL resort only visits!

Disney's focus is all about finances right now. I'm happy they did well. I don't like Chapek though - and I'll say no more or it might not be nice. :D

I hear you on the overpricing strategy. I will not pay to play either. If I cannot wait in a line I will make sure to get there early or later in the day. The food prices are going up to the point that I wonder how young families can afford to feed their kids. When I started taking my kids I knew of a few reasonably priced items that they'd be happy with. Now it seems everything starts at $15.

What I love though is that we've bought into resorts we adore and have the ability to reserve at a number of others in years to come. The resorts are still top notch and the magic in the service with a smile is still there. That's what counts to me.

If I stop going into the parks, I'm sure I'll still be happy with navigating the land via monorail, skyliner, boats or buses to wherever I'd like to be. And the central florida area has far more to it than just Disney and other theme parks.

Last edited:
Hi All,
I was just reading a few facts from the Q1 earnings. I find I am only able to read reports in small doses. Rather than go into a full on rant, which I don’t want to subject myself or my fellow Groupies to, suffice to say, I’m really sad. We’ve always experienced change in terms of Disney, but I fear they have really priced most people out, and I am pretty confident that our frequent visits will be a thing of the past. I hope I am wrong, only time will tell.
Sad to say, we were planning a year of Disney to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Read - several trips staying in resorts we've never stayed in. The pause on AP's put a halt on that. Our next trip the VWL was to be in September with friends who have never been. We've decided to move our reservation from VWL when the 7 month window opens up. We're going to use as many points as possible with no intention of planning another trip next year. The lack of renovation and the current situation at WDW has left a bad taste in our mouth. If we do go again next year, we won't be doing parks but will enjoy a resort stay and some time at Universal. It makes me sad but....

Corinne and Suzabella, We have a trip the last of March through the beginning of April (SSR DVC stay), and we also have our first Fort Wilderness reservation in November. The focus of this upcoming trip is the Springtime Surprise races. My intention was to buy AP's and activate during this trip, and then of course would have them for November, and in my mind I was thinking of squeezing a few short trips in as well. We've passed the 60 day mark for reservations for our upcoming trip. I'm just so irritated about them stopping AP sales, that I refuse to buy day tickets. It's so much money for just a couple of days, especially when we'll be running races. I'll need to be in bed really early, and I don't want to use all my energy walking around the parks. So I've made the decision that if Disney doesn't bring back AP's before our trip, then we just won't go to the parks at all. I'll probably cut a few days off our trip as well. Seriously looking at some AP's at Universal, or maybe just spending the day at Seaworld. It's not sour grapes or anything, I just don't want to spend $600-800 for DH and I to go to the parks for a couple of days. I've got my Disney gift cards sitting right here waiting to pay for those AP's. I'd gladly buy the pixie dust pass if they would open that up to DVC. I literally check online almost everyday to see if there is an update to AP sales, but nothing. I just wish Disney would be forthcoming about their plans. You know they have them. Ok, my mini rant is over now. Sorry...

As a shareholder, I can tell it and dont mind sharing, I voted against Bob Paycheck remaining as CEO. Will it do any good, no, but many other shareholders did the same, and maybe it will at least make a statement. Is he doing it all by himself, heck no, but he is the final say in a lot of money decisions, and its obvious that the customers dont matter as much over the money. This company like so many, including organizations, churches, etc, tend to lose focus over time. I have seen it 1st hand with things I have been involved with, church, local homebuilders association to name a few, where their original intent fell victim to the all mighty dollar, and its sad. You know the answer, return to the roots, heck start over and refocus if need be. Walt opened the parks with intent of having a place the whole family could enjoy. Now, how can the average family afford it? Im like many here, glad I'm a DVC member, but the draw of the parks, with the money grab attitude as it is now, has little appeal to me. Do I miss it, you better believe I do, but will be slow to return

Not to pile on...exactly...BUT, not only do I see the increase in costs from a guest's perspective, I can also look at the entire "equation" from the aspect of an employee. The bottom line is everything to Disney. Yes, I realize they are a company in business to make money--no issues there. As I have been opining for years now, however, the difference in the business model for Disney (and truthfully, most of corporate America) isn't to build a better widget and let supply and demand dictate your company's actions. Corporations now rely on the influx of cash from other mega-corporations and speculation firms who buy shares of your corporation. The emphasis anymore is "how does your stock look?" instead of "how well are you building your product?"

What affects your stock? How well you can reduce costs. How well you can squeeze more dollars out of your product. How well you can increase efficiency. On the surface, these seem like equitable goals...except reducing costs usually means cutting employees. There is a reason so many employees haven't returned to the Disney fold that has nothing to do with the pandemic other than it afforded the company camouflage. Squeezing maximum profits? There is a reason Disney now charges for things they used to include with a trip to Disney and staying in one of their resorts. Efficiency? There is a reason for going more and more toward using smartphones and apps to do nearly everything.

Sorry for carrying on so long. Like so many others here and on other threads and other social media sites, it saddens me that Disney wants to rely on its reputation of being a destination for all families while watching them alienate so many of them. My days of going into a park have neared the end. But, I still love coming here and sharing with my Groupie family--the good, the bad, the ugly. Thank you, dear souls.

Hi! How is everyone? Any news from someone at Festival of the Arts? I could use a report!
Hey Bobbi! So sorry we couldn't meet up but glad you are feeling better. We loved FARTS!!!!!!! It was our first time there for it. We ate lots of good food at the booths but our favorite was seeing all of the artwork. We bought some picture and loved walking around looking at everything especially the chalk art. Wish you could have been there.

Oh the post trip depression is so real right now ugh. Had a great time though with my DD. Bummed that we couldn't meet up with Bobbiwoz but that will happen someday. I have to say we fell in love with BLT and it made a strong case to become our 3rd favorite resort behind VWL and BWV. We would love to stay there again sometime. This just leaves the Poly with being the only other deluxe on our bucket list. Haven't stayed at the Riviera or SS but don't really feel the need to. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Oh the post trip depression is so real right now ugh. Had a great time though with my DD. Bummed that we couldn't meet up with Bobbiwoz but that will happen someday. I have to say we fell in love with BLT and it made a strong case to become our 3rd favorite resort behind VWL and BWV. We would love to stay there again sometime. This just leaves the Poly with being the only other deluxe on our bucket list. Haven't stayed at the Riviera or SS but don't really feel the need to. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

DLI...we concur with your assessment of BLT. We love the views of Bay Lake as they surpass the ones from VWL. And the convenience to MK and the monorail make it a really nice place. We don't love the theming nearly as much as we do at WL/VWL, but we aren't offended by it either. We would gladly stay there again if the opportunity arises. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your latest trip.

Sorry for carrying on so long. Like so many others here and on other threads and other social media sites, it saddens me that Disney wants to rely on its reputation of being a destination for all families while watching them alienate so many of them. My days of going into a park have neared the end. But, I still love coming here and sharing with my Groupie family--the good, the bad, the ugly. Thank you, dear souls.

Sleepy...I agree with others who have lauded your small bit of soap box oratory. I understand that Disney will always evolve and that focus on profits will always be top of mind for management. What I think they have lost sight of, a bit, is that people were willing to pay a premium to stay on site and visit the parks because of all the little "extras" that we refer to as "Disney magic". They may find in the long run that they are commoditizing the WDW experience and will face stiffer competition from Universal, Sea World, etc as people increasingly view WDW as a place rather than as an experience. But in the short run (10 years?), people will continue to flock to WDW, and that alone will convince upper management that their strategies are sound. Only a significant drop in resort bookings and park attendance will get their attention. And they continue to worry less about resort bookings as they know they can convert portions of existing resorts to DVC and still have that powerful revenue stream and cost containment that DVC brings.

I am not angry, disgusted or particularly happy with Disney management and their decisions. At points in the future we will decide if we want to pay for play, or spend money on other options that may be available. I am happy that we've gotten so much enjoyment out of 20+ years of DVC ownership. I'm also happy that we were able to rent points so readily the past two years that not only saved distressed points from expiring but also paid for our dues each year. I'm sure we will continue to visit WDW, and parks may very well be much less of our focus. We'll just play it by ear, year by year, and hope that there are more great memories in the offing as we introduce the next generation of our family (grandchildren) to Disney.

I know I have been absent from this thread for much of the past year or so. Please know that it has nothing to do with the people on this thread who are so kind and always welcoming. It's just that cancelling our last three trips has made it sad to even think about WDW. As such, I am unschooled in the ride options, pay for play, and even the park tickets. Our next trip is scheduled in early May and so far it is looking hopeful that we will be going. I'm sure at that point our excitement level will once again rise. In the mean time, I pray that all Groupies are happy, healthy and full of contentment with your lives.

Granny
I totally get the sad factor in it all. I have found this thread to be a place of comfort where the groupies dont judge us for our feelings. So though I'm not on here as often as I would like, its still one of my happy places that I can go too be able to share in others trips, etc.

We have canceled 2 big Disney related trips so far, one to WDW back in Mar 2020, and again in Oct 2020 when T and me were supposed to do a back to back Disney UK/France Amsterdam 2 week 30th anniversary cruise. The last one is costing us dearly as we cant use our American Airlines tickets which will expire in Mar this year(cant handle masking up an entire day in airport and plane with asthma)

It really stinks to high heaven and its nobodies fault but ours. So we are extremely cautious to put our points in the system, since we have allowed ourselves to get burned twice.

Last edited:
Sleepy...I agree with others who have lauded your small bit of soap box oratory. I understand that Disney will always evolve and that focus on profits will always be top of mind for management. What I think they have lost sight of, a bit, is that people were willing to pay a premium to stay on site and visit the parks because of all the little "extras" that we refer to as "Disney magic". They may find in the long run that they are commoditizing the WDW experience and will face stiffer competition from Universal, Sea World, etc as people increasingly view WDW as a place rather than as an experience. But in the short run (10 years?), people will continue to flock to WDW, and that alone will convince upper management that their strategies are sound. Only a significant drop in resort bookings and park attendance will get their attention. And they continue to worry less about resort bookings as they know they can convert portions of existing resorts to DVC and still have that powerful revenue stream and cost containment that DVC brings.

I am not angry, disgusted or particularly happy with Disney management and their decisions. At points in the future we will decide if we want to pay for play, or spend money on other options that may be available. I am happy that we've gotten so much enjoyment out of 20+ years of DVC ownership. I'm also happy that we were able to rent points so readily the past two years that not only saved distressed points from expiring but also paid for our dues each year. I'm sure we will continue to visit WDW, and parks may very well be much less of our focus. We'll just play it by ear, year by year, and hope that there are more great memories in the offing as we introduce the next generation of our family (grandchildren) to Disney.

I know I have been absent from this thread for much of the past year or so. Please know that it has nothing to do with the people on this thread who are so kind and always welcoming. It's just that cancelling our last three trips has made it sad to even think about WDW. As such, I am unschooled in the ride options, pay for play, and even the park tickets. Our next trip is scheduled in early May and so far it is looking hopeful that we will be going. I'm sure at that point our excitement level will once again rise. In the mean time, I pray that all Groupies are happy, healthy and full of contentment with your lives.
I have had my periods of time where I have been MIA from here because sometimes it is just really hard to hear about other people's trips when you don't have one of your own that you are planning. I'm gonna be in that position again myself because I'm not sure when I'll have another trip to plan. I'm gonna do my best to at least lurk around on here because I wanna keep up with all of my groupie family.

Well, things happened and my plan for loaning out my reservation to my uncle fell through.
So I sold the reservation as I really needed the funds anyway.
It seems to have gone off to a wonderful person & it makes me very happy to share in the excitement of a special Disney trip. Maybe my calling is to be a travel agent after all. Still have no idea how to break into this. Anyone with the 411, please let me know!

My first memories of Disney world were from the 70s when my parents took us camping in Fort Wilderness. The campground was amazing, paved roads, incredible playground, a train IN the campground, swimming in the lake (never had an issue with amebas or gators), paddle-boats, rental boats and THEN... after several days of this we were taken over to the MK. I had no idea there was an entire theme park accessible by boat!

The feeling the place evokes still to this day is indescribable... it's one of warmth and calm. My dad loved Disney and is now gone. Mom is slipping that way too. Disney always has and always will be my happy place, the memories made with my parents, siblings and my own kids aren't going anywhere and staying there via DVC means we're still in some of the most amazing resorts you will find anywhere with the most amazing staff. :)

By the way, while my heart is bruised from letting our march trip go I'm still planning on a December trip this year... who's going to be there the first week?

Last edited:
Well, things happened and my plan for loaning out my reservation to my uncle fell through.
So I sold the reservation as I really needed the funds anyway.
It seems to have gone off to a wonderful person & it makes me very happy to share in the excitement of a special Disney trip. Maybe my calling is to be a travel agent after all. Still have no idea how to break into this. Anyone with the 411, please let me know!

My first memories of Disney world were from the 70s when my parents took us camping in Fort Wilderness. The campground was amazing, paved roads, incredible playground, a train IN the campground, swimming in the lake (never had an issue with amebas or gators), paddle-boats, rental boats and THEN... after several days of this we were taken over to the MK. I had no idea there was an entire theme park accessible by boat!

The feeling the place evokes still to this day is indescribable... it's one of warmth and calm. My dad loved Disney and is now gone. Mom is slipping that way too. Disney always has and always will be my happy place, the memories made with my parents, siblings and my own kids aren't going anywhere and staying there via DVC means we're still in some of the most amazing resorts you will find anywhere with the most amazing staff. :)

By the way, while my heart is bruised from letting our march trip go I'm still planning on a December trip this year... who's going to be there the first week?
We will! We have BWV Dec 4-7 and then VWL from 7-11

I will be at BWV 12-15 with some girlfriends after a three night DCL cruise with DH. I would be happy to meet some Groupies!

Maybe meeting at Condo meeting?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter