• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

vrbo

Do you also get worked up over real estate estate listings with their "professional photography" and "creative fiction writers" lol?

Honestly one of the best tools is to read the reviews on VRBO.

You, the consumer, have to do your research.

I’ve read the reviews. Those creative fiction writers are at it again.

Or they’re posted by Category 3 renters.

I’ve done my research and posted my conclusions about vrbo above.

And I, too, can lol. At those who defend the company

It's clearly not for you (and not for everybody)

I've had good luck with the 3 we've done. And I've left reviews of the ones we've stayed at. Looking forward to our upcoming VRBO stay at the end of this month.

The one time I had trouble getting an owner to respond to me, I contacted VRBO directly and spoke to a rep who got the owner to contact me within an hour.

[
I'd love to know what you were shocked about. Don't leave us hanging!...
Well, first things first, it was a walk-up apartment in the basement, not the whole house. The whole apartment, yes, but every picture of the exterior was of the entire house. Did it have two bedrooms and sleep 6? Well yes, but the "sofa bed" was actually a sectional where two people could sleep one on each end. Good thing we had two young guys who were pretty easy going - it certainly wasn't ideal for them. And the sound transfer from room to room, as well as from the owner upstairs was pretty bad.

Secondly, it was at the top of a 60m extremely steep driveway and the owner didn't allow parking on the driveway because it would block her car in. The listing said on-site parking, which was on the road at the bottom. Having to lug our stuff up trying to use our phones as flashlights (no street lights, no yard lights, only a small exterior house light up top) was super-dangerous. The lack of exterior lighting was actually my biggest complaint - it was, in my mind, reckless and negligent and it made me furious. :furious: Descriptions of how steep the driveway was and how dark it was there at night really don't do justice. None of that was mentioned in the listing.

Thirdly, it wasn't located how we imagined it. It was advertised as being in close proximity to the beach down a "secret" path. Well, yes I guess, sort of. The path was across the road and two blocks down. And the path itself was just a well-worn track through dense bush; about 200m long and also extremely steep with no stairs or hand rails. I only made it down there once - the rest of our time on the water was spent at a provincial park 6km away with easy walk-in access, that we drove to.
Do you also get worked up over real estate estate listings with their "professional photography" and "creative fiction writers" lol?
Honestly one of the best tools is to read the reviews on VRBO.
You, the consumer, have to do your research.
No, but if I was house hunting and arrived to view one that didn't meet expectations, I'd just turn right around and go look at the next. Nothing lost there. In this case I was 1,000km from home in a remote location without any other accommodation options and stuck with my portion of a non-refundable contract that cost me over $1,000.00 for three nights.

It's not the end of the world (we hade a lovely time being together) and in some ways it's a lesson I'm glad I learned now on an expensive but low-stakes short vacation. This kind of accommodation just isn't for me - I'll never stay in one again. I do agree that I could have done more research (beyond just reading the website reviews which were mostly positive) but I guess I assumed our daughter had examined it quite thoroughly. She either didn't (she's not a very experienced traveller) or more to the point I suspect is that there were certain aspects of the idea that she fell in love with and just didn't want to give us a reason to refuse. Ask forgiveness, not permission - right? :laughing:

Last edited:

After paying I noticed the exact same condo on a local real estate agent’s website for about $500 less than vrbo for the following week.
Different weeks, even different days are priced differently for traditional hotels too. Sometimes I've no clue why this week is so much less than another but it is what it is (and I'm speaking towards hotels). Have you ever looked up Disney's pricing seasons (well it was more applicable pre-covid but still). A lot of different pricing seasons and sometimes your stay fell between two or more of them.

Also if you were doing a tit for tat comparison (meaning same week) and saw different pricing consider what fees a real estate agent may charge the owner for the management (assuming that's what they are doing) or visibility (if their site would get more traffic). A couple who had to relocate long-term for work was going to use a professional management company but the fees ended up costing much more than what their mortgage was when you tacked on what the market rent would be. They decided they couldn't do it on their own so they sold their home but for someone who may use VRBO in conjunction I can understand why they themselves may have different pricing than another site. Read carefully all the fees too to ensure that real estate website didn't have something else added or didn't provide something the owner did.
Here’s an example of ridiculous Host Fees on a vrbo for a beachfront condo unit in Ocean City, MD for the week of September 18-25. Almost 1/3 above the so-called rent.
And the grand total is over 50% more. Gotcha!!!

View attachment 602290

The header for this listing boasts “Linens Included!” and then charges for them. We bring our own linens to beach rentals.

I’m not paying a fee for having a concierge there. If I use his/her services for more than a question or two I’d tip them.

Damage waiver is fine in lieu of a security deposit.

i think the Administrative Fee, Reservation, and Booking are what the owner has to pay vrbo.

There is already a high vrbo Service Fee.

Most of the Host Fees are the costs of doing business. You don’t make your customers pay for them. Either raise the rent to cover those costs or eliminate them.

Listing such fees makes the owner a greedy butthole.
Well there's not much information you've given to really understand if those fees are warranted or if they are just a way to get extra money. It's entirely possible this owner uses contracted services.

A linen fee but linens provided could just mean there's lines provided as in you don't need to bring your own bath matt, towels, sheets, pillowcases, etc but that they use a service to provide those things for the property which is an added cost for them. If you bring your own linens to a beach rental I don't know why you would look at a property that says linens included?

Concierge fees sounds like the owner uses a management company to assist in any guest needs and does some or a lot of the back end for the owner (especially if the owner doesn't live close). I don't think it's about tipping someone. You can google some but that's what comes up. Not about what you're thinking at least from what reviewing I've done.

To me not all fees make sense but not all fees don't make sense. I can't say I would think it's fair just to raise the price either. Consider that sometimes the fees they even charge may not actually fully cover the cost either. If they pay for a service a lot of times it's a flat rate or it's commission based and as such just raising a nightly rate may not be feasible especially if you're wanting to price your place where you have different seasons or you're around certain days. A fee stays the same normally regardless of the season but a nightly rate often changes based on other factors.

[
Well, first things first, it was a walk-up apartment in the basement, not the whole house. The whole apartment, yes, but every picture of the exterior was of the entire house. Did it have two bedrooms and sleep 6? Well yes, but the "sofa bed" was actually a sectional where two people could sleep one on each end. Good thing we had two young guys who were pretty easy going - it certainly wasn't ideal for them. And the sound transfer from room to room, as well as from the owner upstairs was pretty bad.

Secondly, it was at the top of a 60m extremely steep driveway and the owner didn't allow parking on the driveway because it would block her car in. The listing said on-site parking, which was on the road at the bottom. Having to lug our stuff up trying to use our phones as flashlights (no street lights, no yard lights, only a small exterior house light up top) was super-dangerous. The lack of exterior lighting was actually my biggest complaint - it was, in my mind, reckless and negligent and it made me furious. :furious: Descriptions of how steep the driveway was and how dark it was there at night really don't do justice. None of that was mentioned in the listing.

Thirdly, it wasn't located how we imagined it. It was advertised as being in close proximity to the beach down a "secret" path. Well, yes I guess, sort of. The path was across the road and two blocks down. And the path itself was just a well-worn track through dense bush; about 200m long and also extremely steep with no stairs or hand rails. I only made it down there once - the rest of our time on the water was spent at a provincial park 6km away with easy walk-in access, that we drove to.

No, but if I was house hunting and arrived to view one that didn't meet expectations, I'd just turn right around and go look at the next. Nothing lost there. In this case I was 1,000km from home in a remote location without any other accommodation options and stuck with my portion of a non-refundable contract that cost me over $1,000.00 for three nights.

It's not the end of the world (we hade a lovely time being together) and in some ways it's a lesson I'm glad I learned now on an expensive but low-stakes short vacation. This kind of accommodation just isn't for me - I'll never stay in one again. I do agree that I could have done more research (beyond just reading the website reviews which were mostly positive) but I guess I assumed our daughter had examined it quite thoroughly. She either didn't (she's not a very experienced traveller) or more to the point I suspect is that there were certain aspects of the idea that she fell in love with and just didn't want to give us a reason to refuse. Ask forgiveness, not permission - right? :laughing:
Thanks for the response! You do have to be careful when you look for a rental. I've learned a lot staying in these places. Too bad you got the short end of the stick because it is so nice staying in a home vs a hotel when you are staying for a couple of days or more somewhere.

And I, too, can lol. At those who defend the company

I"m not sure what you are talking about. My mom and dad have a nice 2 bedroom condo in Ft. Lauderdale a block off the beach. My dad passed away in 2018 and my mom had to move to assisted living. (that is who you should investigate, costs are crazy). My sister and I (we both live in Illinois ) rent out my mom's condo to help her pay her assisted living bills. We are not trying to dupe anyone. I am not aware of any offer of professional photographers or creative writers. All the pictures we took. I wrote the descriptions. There are no 3rd party fake reviewers. In fact we have had 3 renters ( our complex requires minimum of 30 days ) and they all loved it. However they only have a limited time to review and the second guy missed it and apologized. So we have two excellent reviews when we could have had 3. I have no way of getting these fake reviews you speak of. As for fees, we only charge a cleaning fee. We charge $125. By the time we tip the cleaners it usually costs us $150 to $200 so we lose out, but we don't want to up the fee. I do agree VRBO adds a lot of their fees, but if we are going to use them we have no choice. They do provide us insurance and exposure. When we have rented outside VRBO we can eliminate the VRBO fees, but it is riskier on our end so we have a contract people sign. We have only done that via word of mouth. We aren't on other sites though I need to get it on airbnb.

Also can't speak for the people manipulating pics, but we don't do that. We are guilty of taking the pics in the best light, but that is the extent of it. I'm missing out on all the scamming parts. I really just want my mom to earn a little so all of her savings aren't drained so quickly. Not trying to screw anyone.

Thanks for the response! You do have to be careful when you look for a rental. I've learned a lot staying in these places. Too bad you got the short end of the stick because it is so nice staying in a home vs a hotel when you are staying for a couple of days or more somewhere.
Nope, nope, nope - not to me. I like hotels just fine (we've stayed in some great ones around the world) and I don't need a "home" when I'm vacationing.

[

Sorry, I've got to ask, did none of the reviews mention any of these problems?

Sorry, I've got to ask, did none of the reviews mention any of these problems?
No, not that I recall. It’s a newish property, and wasn’t rented at all in 2020 due to Covid. There wasn’t a ton of reviews and what there were, were fine. And even if they had said something about the driveway being steep or the yard dark at night, it truly wouldn’t have painted a picture of how alarming it was.

Coincidentally, I work in residential construction and when I get a minute today I’m calling our concrete guys to ask just how on earth concrete gets poured at such a steep angle. It’s really some sort of marvel. A couple of years ago we visited Pompeii and walked up Mt. Vesuvius. I do not kid when I say some parts of the hike weren’t as steep as that driveway. :faint:

If I can find the listing again I’m going to post the link but I’ve got to check with DD for the specifics - I don’t remember exactly which site it was rented from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter