• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting Victoria/Vancouver

gatorfreud

DIS Veteran
Hi all:

Well I know it's the wrong way around for these boards... but we live in San Francisco, and I'm looking to take my 10 year old son on a little trip in early August (dad and older son will be traveling to Europe for soccer)...

I can get cheap flights to Seattle, so we may do some stuff there, but was thinking of taking the ferry over for a couple days in Victoria and/or Vancouver.

I have been reading some things to do online... but thought I would ask here about visiting those places. My son likes doing things and not "looking at stuff"... biking etc.. He does also like food, wandering around snacking, stuff like that.

Would it be a good idea to visit either of those places?

Thanks!!
Kim

Oh yes! For doing stuff in Vancouver, there's the Science Centre and the Aquarium, with the SC being more hands-on.

For Victoria, in the Inner Harbour alone there's the Bug Zoo, Miniature World, Royal BC Museum and Imax. Then further out is Butchart Gardens and Butterfly Zoo.

You can check out the tourism Victoria site at www.tourismvictoria.com and see all the cool stuff to do and see in our beautiful neck o' the PNW!

Speaking of... just north in Duncan are the PNW Raptors with interactive tours with eagles, falcons, hawks, owls and other raptors. It's a 45 minute drive from Victoria.

You can take the Clipper from Seattle.. and it drops you off right downtown Victoria and there is a lot to do... you could spend the whole day just walking around.. start off in the harbour.. where people are playing music, magic shows, food, go to the Museum.. The Royal BC... its amazing.. thats all that I can say about that. Then walk up to Beacon Hill Park.. go to Beacon Drive in and grab some ice cream. Feed the ducks and chase the peacocks around :) Vancouver is awesome as well. Stanley Park, Science World.. if you are coming in August there is the PNE and Playland but thats only in the last 2 weeks (PNE at lease) there is the Aquarium. Vancouver is a lot more expensive then Victoria. I hope you have a really wonderful trip!!!

A few days? You can spend a few weeks there! To get a better of idea of interests.... what would your son do in San Francisco as a staycation in comparison?

Early August? Vancouver has it's Pride Festivities and fireworks competition. Does he like planes? There's an Airshow a week later. Does he like ice cream? Does the idea of 218 flavours interest him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBctwsicjxI

Just to chime in, if you're looking to get to VanCity from Seattle, you can take the Amtrak from Seattle to right next to Science World in Downtown Vancouver

I could go on and on about Victoria... but then, I'm biased because I live on this beautiful island and no matter where I have travelled in the world, I feel like this is paradise. It really is a beautiful and highly accessible city with lots to see and do, especially in August. Since you mentioned early August, I will just let you know that Aug 1, 2, and 3 is the BC Day long weekend, so you may want to avoid that as there is Symphony Splash going on in the Inner Harbour and it will be very busy... however, if you like fireworks, you will see some amazing fireworks displays in the Inner harbour during the Splash. Beacon Hill Park has the BEST Petting Zoo and the park itself is like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Butchart Gardens is amazing (I have a season's pass and never get tired of it). There are lots of whale watching tours and even a pirate ship adventure also on the inner harbour. The horse drawn carriage tours are amazing and kids usually love them, you can find them right outside the legislative buildings, kitty corner to the Empress Hotel. August is full of festvals and markets and International buskers in the downtown core... always something to do and see, and as one other person suggested, the Royal BC Museum is out of this world. Oh... and before I forget, like my user name, you don't want to miss Craigdarroch Castle :)

Hello,

I am a long-time Victoria resident (born in Nanaimo), and work at the airport here (YYJ). If you fly in, you can catch a shuttle or taxi (recommend shuttle if on a budget) for a 25min ride into Victoria proper. Regardless of any attractions, Victoria is as close to England as you can get without actually going to England (look and feel wise, especially Government Street and the Empress)... shopping and restaurants are great, and the weather is usually mild. Vancouver does have alot to offer, more than Victoria, but it is a huge metropolitan center. If you are looking for a more unique and relaxing time, you can't beat Victoria. That said, if you do go to Vancouver, take the ferry ( http://www.bcferries.com/ ) to Victoria (bus or car rental) and get a beautiful mini-cruise before and after you visit our city. Ferry terminal is by the airport, so 25-30min to town.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter