visiting the parks with bad knee

jchrapcyn

Mouseketeer
I just hurt my knee last week and we are leaving for WDW Sunday. Any tips or suggestions? I'm thinking I should rent a wheelchair- it's really tough to walk.

1. Ice
2. Ibuprofen
3. Repeat
I have had several knee surgeries and have found this to be the best advice i can give.

Absolutely rent a wheelchair. You will probably need it both in and outside the parks. If you go over to the DisAbilities board and look at the sticky "temporary and permanent disabled..." you will be able to find the names of a couple of different off site companies that will rent the wheelchair by the week. These are great because: 1. the chairs are lighter and more easily pushed than the ones you rent in the parks 2. you will have it 24/7 while at WDW 3 it's cheaper than renting by the day 4. They drop off the chair at your resort so it is waiting for you and they pick it up after you leave.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Here's the link to that sticky:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

1. Go to the doctor.
or
2. Wal-Mart and drug stores sell all kinds of knee braces and such to help.

Sending pixie dust.:wizard:

Riding in a wheelchair has got to be the absolute WORST way to see WDW. I had to do it a few years ago when I damaged my knee when we arrived one trip.

Do whatever you must to keep from having to ride in a chair.

This is why I plan on getting my knees replaced AFTER our spring trip, not, before...in 4 or 5 years. I am doing everything I can to put it off as long as possible.

I would suggest going over to the disABILITIES Forum. One of the first threads is the disABILITIES FAQs. On Post #2 we have a lot of information for people with mobility and/or stamina situations, including fairly detailed information about both on- and off-site rentals of ECVs and wheelchairs. To get directly to the disABILITIES FAQs from here just click on the link in my signature.

- Rent a wheelchair (probably your best option)
- A cane might also help
- Icy/Hot Patch
- Knee brace
- Just remember not to exert yourself too much

*Hope your knee feels better! Have fun!

Be sure to take frequent breaks. It's easy when the pain starts up to think it will be ok in a little bit but then you have to walk all the way back to the front of the park. Have fun!

If you have bad balance either rent a car or keep some money on you for taxis. Do not attempt to stand on a moving bus. My mom has had bad knees for year, and I have had some problems with mine too. Depending on the day, you won't catch me standing on a bus. I will either wait for one with an open seat, or grab a taxi to get where I want to go.

Mom uses alleve for her knee pain, I stick to plain old advil. Take whatever works best for you. A wrap for your knee can also help a lot. Wear shoes that have lots of support and cushion. No flat flip flops!

Good luck and have a great trip!

Just got back from a "bad knee" trip in July. I had surgery on it in August and am doing physical therapy now. I used the braces, walked with a cane, put it up on the couch back at the room with ice, and what I haven't seen mentioned yet, go to Guest Relations and get a Guest Assistance Card. It's basically a FP for all the rides...if the ride has FP, you get on that line. If no FP, you mostly go in the exit. Always check with the CM at the front of the ride and they will tell you what to do. That was a godsend for me, because I had the most pain when I had to stand still, so not having to wait on the lines was a real help for me.

Just got back from a "bad knee" trip in July. I had surgery on it in August and am doing physical therapy now. I used the braces, walked with a cane, put it up on the couch back at the room with ice, and what I haven't seen mentioned yet, go to Guest Relations and get a Guest Assistance Card. It's basically a FP for all the rides...if the ride has FP, you get on that line. If no FP, you mostly go in the exit. Always check with the CM at the front of the ride and they will tell you what to do. That was a godsend for me, because I had the most pain when I had to stand still, so not having to wait on the lines was a real help for me.
The normal and official response from Guest Relations for a mobility and/or stamina situation is suggest the rental of a wheelchair or ECV. The GAC states on it specifically that it is not intended to skip lines.

And also the distance between attractions is a lot longer that the attraction queues, so even if you are able to get one you are still not saving any walking distance.

... go to Guest Relations and get a Guest Assistance Card. It's basically a FP for all the rides...if the ride has FP, you get on that line. If no FP, you mostly go in the exit. ...
Not true, unless the CM at the ride is not a good short order cook in the sense of knowing how long each of the guests with GAC's has been standing there. In which case the CM might let them all in rather than keep track of them.

Skip the Ibuprofen. Then if/when it hurts you know to stop and rest instead of risk damaging your knee even more.

If you decide to rent a wheelchair, you might want to have the person who will be pushing you bring a pair of athletic gloves. I got blisters on my hands from pushing my DH around the parks for a week. All subsequent trips he has had an ECV.

i myself have a very bad knee
when i head to disney i make sure to bring one of my otc knee braces
i also bring along either alive or persribed anti infmalitories
i start the day by takeing a pill just to prevent any swelling that may happen
but again i have been dealing with my knee issues for almost 20 years and can tell how much to push it and when i have to stop
i have yet to rent a chair or ecv but when it starts to nag i simple find a spot to sit such as a show or a ride
if needed i will ice it at night when back in the room but i also find that some time in the hot tub realy helps out after a long day at disney

Hi
I would definitely rent an ECV. My DH tried to walk around with a bad knee and he was so miserable. It made me miserable. So the next day, I rented him one and it was delivered to the resort. It was the best. He wasn't crabby anymore. We were there this past May and we rented again. Now he's having knee replacement in November, so hopefully next time we go, he'll be able to walk. I think if you're in pain, you'll be so much happier in an ECV and you'll be able to enjoy yourself. Have a great trip!!

I just hurt my knee last week and we are leaving for WDW Sunday. Any tips or suggestions? I'm thinking I should rent a wheelchair- it's really tough to walk.

would rent a scooter from off site so you have when you arrive at resort until you leave as is a long walk from buses into parks and renting off site you then have scooter the entire time your there. I use walkers mobility each years as have MS and they ask weight and height and is much cheaper than anywhere else and MUCH easier on your arms and someone elses back pushing a wheel chair as there is bricks and things to go over...:thumbsup2

Basically a person has a certain amount of energy available to them daily. If they relax during the day the amount of energy available will increase; when they sleep at night they recharge their system,

However, when in pain energy is used up much faster than in normal conditions. If you become exhausted, with by what you have done or, more importantly, what you have done while in pain your system will not recharge to the original energy level overnight and you are starting the next day with a lower amount of energy available.

Once around the World Showcase Lagoon Promenade is more than 1¼ miles; most people tend to average 8 - 12 miles per day at WDW.

My mom had knee surgery right before a Disney trip a few years ago. We rented a wheelchair for her in the parks. My dad and I took turns pushing her. I wasn't even told at the time that my dad had a diagnosed heart blockage, and went in for a stent not long after the Disney trip. Had I known that, I would have done ALL of the pushing! It really wasn't so bad having a wheelchair in the park, except for at AK. Seems to be more hills in that park than the rest.

I have to say, the CM's really take care of the wheelchair guests on and off the rides and for the shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter