Vietnam Veterans

this distinction is made everywhere. i did 4 years in the Marines in the early 90s while my Father-in-law did about 30 years in the Air Force. He is allowed to go onto Military bases and shop at the exchanges and gets benefits/discounts at lots of places that I do not. On one hand, it would be nice to have access to some level of discount, just because it's always nice to get a discount :), but I too would never compare my service to those that served for much longer.
Totally agree, and said MUCH better than I tried to. I will say that it does appear that since a DD-214 is all that's required for the Jan. and Sept. stays when you go to the Shades of Green web site and look up room rates, it definitely looks as though I would qualify, which is greatly interesting (and happy) to me........at least, this is the way I'm reading it. And since I got discharged as an E-5, looks like I would currently qualify for $145/night, taxes and fees included. :)

Thank you to all for your service, for all that have posted here (and even if you have not). No matter how long/when/what branch/combat or not, etc. You have kept this country free, and defended for all of us the freedom to be able to frequent boards just like this!! I respect, honor, thank, and salute you!!

You know, I wonder what time that happens say the week of October 23rd....

Timing of the Flag Retreat depends on how early the sun sets. I asked on the Disneyland Flag Retreat Facebook page, and they said around 4pm. It will be in the timetable that you pick up at Disneyland, but it isn't on the online Disneyland calendar. I highly recommend it.

There are no taxes and fees. The rate for an E-5 is $100.
I must be looking @ something wrong. According to the rate chart I'm looking at, the rates for Oct. '16 - Sept. '17 (it's my understanding non-retired vets with DD-214 only eligible to Cat. 2 rooms, regardless of rank) is $135 night for a Category 2 Standard, $145 for Category 2 Poolside. It is my understanding too that non-retired also only eligible to book Jan. and Sept. Am I reading something wrong? Thanx for any clarification.

Sorry, I was quoting the price for E-5 active and retired vets. I didn't realize that non-retired vets get bumped to Catagory 2.

Sorry, I was quoting the price for E-5 active and retired vets. I didn't realize that non-retired vets get bumped to Catagory 2.
Thanx for clarification. Finding out I could stay there at ALL made me happy. Finding out I could stay there for $135 or $145 a night made me delirious. I'm not sure I could handle $100 a night!! :)

Last edited:
So, a veteran who fought in the jungle in Vietnam for four years isn't entitled to a discount? Wow.
Yes, that is correct assuming that the veteran didn't serve long enough to actually retire from the service. The distinction isn't about who served in combat (or which theater they may have served in), its about who stayed in the service long enough to earn retirement benefits.

I think some of that experience is that those of us who served in the 60's and 70's were not appreciated, and in fact were looked at with suspicion. Many do not talk about their experiences in combat or even mention their service. It was something to be put in the past and to move on with life. Things are quiet different today. Those that serve are appreciated for what they did. That appreciation makes them a bit more open about discussing their experiences, although its still typical for combat veterans not to talk about that part of their life.
This is my dad. He was in psyops. He went into the villages in Vietnam and tried to get people to switch sides. He even had an interpreter who was killed when my dad was having a cavity filled. (He never misses a dentist apt because he would have been killed too.)When I was young he used to show us his slides from Vietnam but I'm not really sure where the slides are now. He was not treated with respect when he came back to USA. In 11TH grade I taped an interview (my teacher lost it.)I did with him about his time in Vietnam. When Jane Fonda's name was brought up I saw a reaction that I'd never seen before. The people fighting see so much stuff that normal people will not see. I think no matter how long you serve you should be treated with the same respect. My dad was in the reserves until right before the Gulf War when he was honorably discharged. He actually wanted to go fight when the Gulf War happened.

Certainly agree with this. The lack of respect that the veterans of that era had to deal with was really wrong.
Certainly everyone deserves respect. Everyone.

But what people are talking about is the discount. There is a different discount for vets versus retirees. And to me, that makes sense.

There is a different discount for vets versus retirees. And to me, that makes sense.

Why should there be though? No snark, honest question. Some people make a career out of it and other people, like my dad, were drafted and didn't have a choice. All still served their country. If the distinction is made solely to limit the pool of veterans that are eligible (because the number would be way too big otherwise), then I guess I can understand that. But any other reason than that I can't wrap my head around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter