Via Napoli or Le Cellier?

IrisSphere

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

I'd love some opinions on our Epcot dining day.

I am in the process of stalking the reservation site to try and get a last minute LC reservation for lunch. We already have Les Chefs dinner booked for that same day.

As a backup, I booked a Via Napoli lunch as I heard amazing things about the pizza. But now I am torn! If you were me, what would you choose? (any opinions are welcome!)

As background, it will just be my hubby and I, we love to eat out on vacation, and really enjoy a good meal. We are on the Regular Dining Plan. Here are our other reservations:
  • Mama Melrose F! package
  • California Grill
  • Raglan Road
  • Les Chefs

Hi All!

I'd love some opinions on our Epcot dining day.

I am in the process of stalking the reservation site to try and get a last minute LC reservation for lunch. We already have Les Chefs dinner booked for that same day.

As a backup, I booked a Via Napoli lunch as I heard amazing things about the pizza. But now I am torn! If you were me, what would you choose? (any opinions are welcome!)

As background, it will just be my hubby and I, we love to eat out on vacation, and really enjoy a good meal. We are on the Regular Dining Plan. Here are our other reservations:
  • Mama Melrose F! package
  • California Grill
  • Raglan Road
  • Les Chefs

Lunch at LC is hard to get, so good luck with that. I'd pick based on which menu appeals to you most. If you two prefer steak over pizza, then choose LC. I personally wasnt impressed with LC, so naturally i'd go with Via. :goodvibes

I've never done LC for lunch so my experiences are with dinner only.

I personally think Le Cellier is the most over hyped restaurant on the planet. We went 3 times because people kept raving about how great it was. It is mediocre at best.
Now dh and I are huge steak lovers and our steaks were tasteless. I had the ribeye. I've said this before, any time I go to a steakhouse and the soup is the best part of the meal, sorry IMO that is a problem.
No way would I give up 2 dining credits for it.

So my vote is always the "non" le Cellier choice.

Ok thanks - I am not sure if i just got lucky, but was able to get LC lunch on two separate occasions, but had to switch it out due to a change in our schedule. So i am hoping third time's the charm (and if not, no big deal obviously).

I've seen their menus, and they both sound really good. Glad to hear that Via could be a good choice though.

I've never done LC for lunch so my experiences are with dinner only.

I personally think Le Cellier is the most over hyped restaurant on the planet. We went 3 times because people kept raving about how great it was. It is mediocre at best.
Now dh and I are huge steak lovers and our steaks were tasteless. I had the ribeye. I've said this before, any time I go to a steakhouse and the soup is the best part of the meal, sorry IMO that is a problem.
No way would I give up 2 dining credits for it.

So my vote is always the "non" le Cellier choice.

I couldnt have said it any better. These are my thoughts exactly! My vote is always the non LC choice as well. My steak in particular was tasteless, lousy cut of meat....and I wasnt impressed with the soup either. I still cant believe this place will be 2 TS credits at lunch in 2013. Just wow.

I've had several lunches and dinners at LC. While I agree that LC is not a good use of 2 credits for dinner, that's from an economical standpoint and not a food standpoint. I almost always order the Filet Mignon with Mushroom Risotto and it's always been really good. The filet was tender and flavorful and the risotto is one of my favorites in the world. I also really like the cheddar cheese soup and pretzel bread sticks. Lunch time also features on of the cutest dessert: the chocolate moose (a mousse shaped like a moose head). For lunch, the Le Cellier burger is also really good.

In terms of VN, I also like this resturant. The pizza is really good, as are the pasta. The Coppa Amarena (Ugly But Good) sundae is really outstanding. The arancini and calamari are also really yummy - crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. It's also fun to watch the wood-fire ovens while you eat.

So, ultimately it comes down to what you want to eat. If you're aiming for pizza, then VN is the best choice. If you want something more steak/burger focused, then LC is the choice.

If it's just the two of you, search both for a 2 and a 4 for your reservation. The system counts literally table #'s and every restaurant has far less 2 tops then 4 tops. If only a 4 seat is available, book it and when you get there they still have to seat you.

If you want pizza, Via Napoli. A full meal, something like fish or steak, Le Cellier no doubt.

If it's just the two of you, search both for a 2 and a 4 for your reservation. The system counts literally table #'s and every restaurant has far less 2 tops then 4 tops. If only a 4 seat is available, book it and when you get there they still have to seat you.

Thank you for this! I hadn't realized this was possible. I wonder if they'll be peeved that it's just the two of us showing up instead of 4?

Via Napoli.
We always get their pizza for lunch at least once while disney! We love it.
Le Cellier is "ok".. There are better steaks on property....

Thank you for this! I hadn't realized this was possible. I wonder if they'll be peeved that it's just the two of us showing up instead of 4?

Nope, they could care less. They HAVE to seat you and they just want to seat people and go home at the end of the night lol. Just remember, these restaurants are all owned by Disney, all staffed by interchangeable staff. As long as your not making their job harder, they don't care lol. It happens all the time even in an honest setting, couples run late, sick, changed plans, missed a bus back to the resort, etc.

I thought most of the Epcot restaurants were owned by 3rd parties?

Nope, they could care less. They HAVE to seat you and they just want to seat people and go home at the end of the night lol. Just remember, these restaurants are all owned by Disney, all staffed by interchangeable staff. As long as your not making their job harder, they don't care lol. It happens all the time even in an honest setting, couples run late, sick, changed plans, missed a bus back to the resort, etc.

jalpert said:

Not all, but Via Napoli definitely is, so that statement was wrong.

Just remember, these restaurants are all owned by Disney, all staffed by interchangeable staff.

This is not entirely true. Many of the staff at the WS restaurants are part of the Disney International Program, so they are actually from the country that the restaurant represents.

That being said, they will not be "peeved" if you show up will less people than your ADR. Just be sure to tell them the correct number of people in your party when you check-in for your ADR.

These are the ones that are run by a third party (that I can think of):
Les Chefs de France & Bistro de Paris
Tutto Italia & Via Napoli
San Angel Inn & La Hacienda de San Angel
Teppan Edo & Tokyo Dining

The Disney operated restaurants:
Le Cellier
Rose & Crown
Biergarten
Akershus

I'm not sure about Marrakesh and Nine Dragons.

OP, you might want to be careful with this strategy if you don't want to pay the $10 no show fee per person.

Another vote here for the 'non-LC' resturant. Food is good at LC, but it is the bad service that just turns us off this place. If you really like the menu then go for it, as next time you visit it will be 2 credits for even a lunch:confused3
We are looking forward to trying Via Napoli this trip.

Bev

OP, you might want to be careful with this strategy if you don't want to pay the $10 no show fee per person.

It's been reported repeatedly, from experience and from CMs, that you will not be charged if you have less people, only if you don't show at all.

Obviously that would not be true at a pay in advance place, but just the CC hold places.

This is not entirely true. Many of the staff at the WS restaurants are part of the Disney International Program, so they are actually from the country that the restaurant represents.

That being said, they will not be "peeved" if you show up will less people than your ADR. Just be sure to tell them the correct number of people in your party when you check-in for your ADR.

These are the ones that are run by a third party (that I can think of):
Les Chefs de France & Bistro de Paris
Tutto Italia & Via Napoli
San Angel Inn & La Hacienda de San Angel
Teppan Edo & Tokyo Dining

The Disney operated restaurants:
Le Cellier
Rose & Crown
Biergarten
Akershus

I'm not sure about Marrakesh and Nine Dragons.

Many of my close friends on the college co-op or C.A.S.T programs who worked in the world showcase restaurants, worked at several of the country themes as a host, except for the asian themed restaurants.
Operations Manager, Stewards, Hosts and food runners were majority C.A.S.T/co-op members, while was restaurant managers were hired through Disney, not 3rd party or specific to the country. Waiters/Waitress', chefs and retail were specific to the country of origin for the country theme.

It's been reported repeatedly, from experience and from CMs, that you will not be charged if you have less people, only if you don't show at all.

Obviously that would not be true at a pay in advance place, but just the CC hold places.

x2.

The paid in advance dining and I believe Dessert 'cruise' are no show fee's. Every other dining that does not require pre-payment, doesn't assess a no-show fee, including credit held reservations.

My family and I have been to both places, Le Cellier several years ago, and Via Napoli on our last trip. Both places have fantastic food and beautiful atmospheres and scenery, but Le Cellier is more fancy, and Via Napoli is a more casual setting. By the way, Raglan Road is fantastic! I hope this helps, and have a fantastic trip! :thumbsup2

Thank you all for your opinions! Looks like more votes go for Via Napoli. My husband loves great pizza (he still talks about the one he had in New York 3 years ago), so maybe this is a good choice after all!

I mean we are from Canada, it's not like we have a shortage of places to try the Maple syrup creme brulee :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter