Very expensive cookware- is it worth it?

All Clad has factory seconds sales every year. I buy my cookware then--about half off, and usually the flaw is not apparent.

I have a Le Creuset outlet near my house. I have been collecting pieces whenever they have a 40% off sale. That makes them way more affordable. I love them!

I bought Martha Stewart soup pot (le creuset). I really like it, had it for about 5 years bought it for $30 when Macy had it for half price. Outside still looks new. Inside there is a little staining but not to much. Never expected to like the pot as muchas I do.

I bought Martha Stewart soup pot (le creuset). I really like it, had it for about 5 years bought it for $30 when Macy had it for half price. Outside still looks new. Inside there is a little staining but not to much. Never expected to like the pot as muchas I do.
Martha Stewart is her own brand. It isn't Le Creuset.

Martha Stewart is her own brand. It isn't Le Creuset.

I know but I was replacing my grandfathers old pot that I loved, and was choosing between the two. Really I was planning to replace with a (le creuset). And I saw the Martha Stewart pot for the low price and said I 'll use this for the meantime. It was the round large one, then I will get oval le creust when I see on sale. After using pot I bought I just never felt need to get the other one.

We mostly use Pyrex and cast iron cookware. And I can't think of anything we need. usually we hit up the thrift stores for anything like that. I recently found a Dutch Oven for $10 at the thrift a few weeks ago!

I have the Cuisinart Multi Clad Pro stainless steel,Le Creuset and some cast iron pieces and I really enjoy cooking with them. They heat evenly with no hot spots.

The stainless looks like new with a little Barkeepers Friend.

I've had a Calphalon stainless steel set for about 20 years which was fairly expensive. I'm very satisfied with it.

But I also have one of my mother's old Revere Ware skillets with the copper bottom. It's probably 50 years old and still works great.

Expensive cookware isn't necessary, however. Much of the world cooks very well with very little.

A thought.... if you plan to hand the cookware down...
  • will the future stove be the same as what you have now... eg gas vs induction?
  • I'm not a good cook.... so I had to replace the lids on mom's cookware with glass tops. I want to see instead of guessing what's happening inside the pot.

My main issue with less expensive cookware with plastic handles is that the material inevitably starts getting brittle from exposure to heat. That's more important when the handle is held on with screws. I don't know how to explain it other than many have a metal sleeve around the plastic, and little pieces start breaking off. I haven't really had that issue with certain ones that use plastics that don't fall apart. Revere Ware seems to last, although I haven't bought anything from them since they sent their production offshore.

One of the best pieces I've got is one I bought at an off-price store for maybe $15. It's almost all metal and glass, and uses thick stainless steel with an aluminum disk. The handles on the lid and body are riveted on.

I have a Lodge dutch oven that I am very happy with. I also use my large Lodge cast iron pan regularly since it's so versatile for stovetop and oven. Both were pretty inexpensive, and my pan was from Target. I really only use an old nonstick for eggs.

I got huuuge pan envy when I saw Julia Child's cast iron pan on TV....That thing was as black as night!

We registered and received a set of All-Clad pots and pans when we got married 11 years ago. I loved my pans then and I still love them now. They are in awesome condition and I have picked up a few more pieces along the way. I highly recommend getting some good quality pots and pans. I believe they are worth it in the end.

The only thing I don't like about Le Creuset is that it is HEAVY. I have a hard time lifting them when they are empty never mind full of food. I do see them a lot at Marshalls and TJ Max however at great prices.

Has anyone bought pans from pampered chef? I will be hosting a party and will get a discount on them. We had caphalon (the non-stick) and the black on the bottom of my pots (that I use almost daily) is flaking off after 10yrs.

Yes and no. My favorite skillet is a Lodge cast iron one that will last forever and they're super inexpensive to buy. I also have All-Clad d5 stainless cookware that I also love because it's indestructible but it was quite expensive. I would love a Le Creuset enameled dutch oven but can't stomach the price right now and the alternative brands (Lodge, Martha Stewart, etc) have some pretty scary reviews long-term such as flaking enamel, finish wearing unevenly, etc so when I'm able to afford one I will definitely purchase the Le Creuset brand. I stay far away from all nonstick cookware now, including hard anodized because of the chemicals. Ceramic would be fine but I've never tried it.

I have a Lodge dutch oven that I am very happy with. I also use my large Lodge cast iron pan regularly since it's so versatile for stovetop and oven. Both were pretty inexpensive, and my pan was from Target. I really only use an old nonstick for eggs.

I got huuuge pan envy when I saw Julia Child's cast iron pan on TV....That thing was as black as night!
I love my Lodge pieces. I have enameled cast iron dutch ovens, the large cast iron pan, the griddle and grill pan.

In my opinion it is. We bought an entire set at le Crueset when we got married (well, at the le Creuset outlet - it has the same warranty). That set will last my lifetime and can be passed down to one of my kids if they want it. If anything ever goes wrong le Creuset will replace it without cost.

We got Calphalon when we married 14 years ago and I wasn't happy with how it held up. Wish we had gotten All Clad. I have a few pieces of Le Creuset and it has held up wonderfully. So my answer is yes, it's worth it but research it as they aren't all the same.

The only thing I don't like about Le Creuset is that it is HEAVY. I have a hard time lifting them when they are empty never mind full of food. I do see them a lot at Marshalls and TJ Max however at great prices.

Are the pieces you brought Le Creuset or knock offs? I have a knock off that is an 8 quart and a Le Creuset that is an 11 1/2 quart, the 8 quart is much heavier.

I love my Staub cookware. I was given some Rachel Ray pans & actually they are pretty good - non stick & they clean real easy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter