VERY anxious about upcoming cataract surgery

There are options? Tell me more!
t

Embarrassing to say but I'm not sure what type they used. I looked on the information card but most of it is medical jargon and I didnt see a type ( monovision, multi focal etc ) on there. I'll ask my optometrist this afternoon. I'm only using glasses for closeup things now. Far off and television viewing is much MUCH better and clearer without the glasses.

my vision was great right after surgery but has deteriorated since due to vitreal changes and buildup on the lenses which they say is not bad enough to do anything about yet. I would have put off the surgery longer if I had known how high the risk of these effects could be. Now local office is advertising you can have your astigmatism cured if "lucky enough to have cataracts" Nothing lucky about it.

W. O. W

What a difference a day makes! I had the surgery yesterday and while there is still a little blood in the eye and a sense of an eyelash in there, the vision is incredible. It's like going from the old standard TV, passing Hi Def and going on to 4K. I'll see my optometrist this afternoon after which I expect to be able to drive again but I'm so relieved to have it over and for the success so far

Thanks for all the prayers, wishes, and Pixie Dust! I can hardly wait to "see" Main Street in Nivember!

Happy to hear every thing went well for you.

Yes, it can longer than one might realize to fully heal and adjust...

Are you having both eyes done...
I am not sure what the issue is with the one bad eye.

If so, in my husband's case, after a rougher recovery in the first eye, and knowing how my husband's eyes would react, he was able to really perfect the second one.
It went more smoothly.

I know we can't tell you not to worry!!!!
But try not to worry too much. It will be great!

There are different makers of lenses, and different materials.
Another big difference is whether there is any vision correction to the lense, like for nearsightedness.
My Husband is very nearsighted, and he did get lenses with correction.
The first eye ended up with a bit of astigmatism, the Dr. got the second eye perfectly!

There are also lenses with multi-focal vision correction, maybe kind of like progressive eyeglass lenses????
My husband's Dr. did not recommend these for him.

W. O. W

What a difference a day makes! I had the surgery yesterday and while there is still a little blood in the eye and a sense of an eyelash in there, the vision is incredible. It's like going from the old standard TV, passing Hi Def and going on to 4K. I'll see my optometrist this afternoon after which I expect to be able to drive again but I'm so relieved to have it over and for the success so far

Thanks for all the prayers, wishes, and Pixie Dust! I can hardly wait to "see" Main Street in Nivember!

Good!!! (just now seeing your update)

That is normal!
It was imperative for my husband to use the eye-drops!
Don't slack off on those to quickly...

I
t

Embarrassing to say but I'm not sure what type they used. I looked on the information card but most of it is medical jargon and I didnt see a type ( monovision, multi focal etc ) on there. I'll ask my optometrist this afternoon. I'm only using glasses for closeup things now. Far off and television viewing is much MUCH better and clearer without the glasses.

If you find out what kind of lenses he put in I would be interested in knowing if they were multifocal or monofocal lenses. I too have cataracts and going for surgery in July and have to decide if I am going go go with the lenses covered under Medicare (I am Canadian) which are monofocal lenses or pay extra for the premium lenses. Downside on premium lenses is I could see more glare and halos at night. Concerned about night driving but would be nice to have near and far distance corrected. I still have another 10 years to work full time. However maybe I just get the regular lenses and wear glass for intermediate and close-up.

my vision was great right after surgery but has deteriorated since due to vitreal changes and buildup on the lenses which they say is not bad enough to do anything about yet. I would have put off the surgery longer if I had known how high the risk of these effects could be. Now local office is advertising you can have your astigmatism cured if "lucky enough to have cataracts" Nothing lucky about it.

With some of the reading I have done (have to have cataract surgery in July this summer), you might be experiencing PCO (posterior capsule opacification). The lens you had put in to replace your natural lens is good for a lifetime (so I read) but sometimes a person develops a thickening of the back of the lens capsule which holds the artifical lens in place. This will cause blurry vision. A Dr can perform a YAG (laser treatment) to clear that up.

Just had it three weeks ago. It was a little strange. The only tip I will give is it takes a couple weeks to adjust so do not expect miracles the next day. Now at 3 weeks I almost forget it did it, recovery goes pretty fast.

The fun part now is with my old eye everything has a yellow tinge and with the new eye everyting is bright white.

So what type of lens are you getting

What lens did you choose for yourself (I need cataract surgery in July 2017). Premium lenses cost extra. The Monofocal ones are covered by Medicare.

Sending prayers and pixie dust. I had my cataract surgeries in January and February. I was a bit worried going in but sailed thru with flying colors. My doc, too, said complications are rare. He's done thousands of surgeries and not had one that was a major deal. I'm happy I did it. Everything is so clear. My distance vision is 20/15. I used to wear bifocals, now I need reading glasses only. Follow his pre and post-op instructions. Best of luck to you.

I will need cataract surgery in July this year - wondering what type of lens you got. I am considering the Symfony IOL (additional expense). Do fear though the glare and halos for night driving as often premium lenses have more incidences of those.

I got the cystalans which is suppose to be good for distance and intermediate but not reading, which seems to be the way it is working. My doctor did not recommend the symphony because I drive a lot at night. I found it really hard to find out much about the differences because most of what is on the internet is sales articles.

I think all insurance will make you pay for the premium lenses

I got the cystalans which is suppose to be good for distance and intermediate but not reading, which seems to be the way it is working. My doctor did not recommend the symphony because I drive a lot at night. I found it really hard to find out much about the differences because most of what is on the internet is sales articles.

I think all insurance will make you pay for the premium lenses

Thanks. Yes I am aware if I opt for premium lenses it is an out of pocket expense. If not for night vision issues decision for them is a no brainer. I paid more for a Disney vacation. Your eyesight is for a long time. How are the crystalens for night vision (did you have both eyes done with same lens)? I was under the understanding that Symfony extended focus lens were supposed to reduce the halos and glare but they are so new hard to get much info on them. Really appreciate your feedback - thanks.

I did one and am going to do the other, they are fine for night driving but I still need glasses for reading. I had one eye that was pretty bad so overall my vision is much better.

I'm trying to figure out why some people still have to wear glasses afterwards, but some people don't. Someone said that "corrective lenses" cost extra, but everyone that I know that had Obamacare insurance got nearsightednesses-correcting lenses. But people that I know who were on Medicare still had to wear glasses.

I'm trying to figure out why some people still have to wear glasses afterwards, but some people don't. Someone said that "corrective lenses" cost extra, but everyone that I know that had Obamacare insurance got nearsightednesses-correcting lenses. But people that I know who were on Medicare still had to wear glasses.
There are correcting lenses and multifocal lenses. I have heard of people requesting one lens for reading and the other eye for distance which would not be extra, the multifocal lens are suppose to act like bifocals and adjust to distance. I found the whole thing pretty confusing.

Not sure how Obamacare works and what it covers. But some are able to see near and far due to multifocal lenses (in Canada these are not covered by our Medicare system or insurance companies- there is additional costs). With the ones covered by Medicare (monofocal lenses) these are normally set for one distance either near or far. Some surgeons will set one eye for far and another for intermediate distance so that with monofocal lenses you can have better vision. Called monovision - however not recommended unless you have experimented with contact lenses first. You lose some depth perception with monovision. Some people's eyes adjust well to this and others don't. No matter what you chose there is compromises to make. Even if you spend for premium lenses there is a trade off to contrast sensitivity and glare and halos at night. A few find this really bothersome whereas some people see past these with time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter