• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Verizon Wireless Global DATA package?

kteesmumma

DIS Veteran
Has anyone purchased the Verizon Wireless 100MB Cruise Ship Global Data Package? I am considering this for my 4 night Disney Dream cruise, just not sure if it is a good deal or if it will work. I want to be able to post to Facebook, check email, upload some images to Facebook while on the cruise.

Has anyone purchased the Verizon Wireless 100MB Cruise Ship Global Data Package? I am considering this for my 4 night Disney Dream cruise, just not sure if it is a good deal or if it will work. I want to be able to post to Facebook, check email, upload some images to Facebook while on the cruise.

Verizon used to pro-rate its unlimited international data package, which was a good deal, but I thought now they only offer per megabyte packages... which rarely are a good deal.

Last time I priced it out, which was admittedly over a year ago, they told me I use, on average, over 1 GB a month and DH uses over 2 GB a month... so we would drain a few 100 MB very quickly and it would costs hundreds for about a week's worth of data.

I had not heard of a "cruise" plan.... do you mind if I ask what they quoted you for this?

I paid for this plan for the Panama Canal cruise in Sepember, and it worked well in ports but never worked at sea. Verizon said it "should" have worked, but they had no idea why it didn't. This was on an iPhone 5.

We are going over to Europe soon and talked to Verizon. I was told that the 25.00 package has such a small amount of data that it would be easy to go over the alloted amount. We opted not to add it.

I used it once when they would pro rate and it was a waste. I never was able to get service.

The Nassau port has free wifi

I almost never am able to get the cellular data working on board using the ship's system. I have AT&T, which is GSM-based instead of Verizon's CDMA, and my phone reports that EDGE data is available, which only goes up to 55kbps or so. In other words, it would be *slow* even if it worked perfectly. But it almost never actually works at all, even though voice and SMS work fine almost always.

I would assume but do not know for sure that a Verizon phone would use whatever CDMA's version of EDGE is, and would be similarly slow, and would probably similarly almost never actually work at all.

People mention free WiFi in port, but that's a bit of a hassle. In your situation, I might recommend the $25 int'l data package for 100MB, but NOT the Cruise Ship one. This will allow you to use your phone not only in port, but while on the ship whenever you are in port or near land, which is probably at least half of the cruise. There's no way you'll use 100MB just updating Facebook, web surfing, checking email, etc., as long as you stay away from video uploads or viewing.

For those still reading, the ship-board cellular data we're talking about here is completely independent of the on-board Internet WiFi - that works reasonably well, but you sign up and pay for it on board, rather than through your cellular carrier.

Speed would be like going back to dialup. While at sea, you'll be roaming under Cellular-at-sea so your global data package will not apply. You could pay their data rates or use the cruise's wife, but speed again, is VERY slow.

Once you get to Nassau, you'll be able to roam under your global data plan. But you might as well go to the local starbucks, buy a cup of coffee and get the password to use the free (with purchase) wifi.

Note that I'm not sure if there are cell towers at CC.

Think for yourself - do you HAVE TO post to FB? Seriously... I could see it for business reasons (reading/answering emails), but otherwise, it can wait. Save your money or spend it on a bottle of wine. Uploading a picture can easily become 100mb and blow your data plan away, while taking forever...

Note that I'm not sure if there are cell towers at CC.

There is one, and it supports GSM voice and multi-mbps 3G internet access as well. I don't know if it also supports CDMA-only phones. In any event, it is part of the Bahamas cellular system, so usage is priced the same as anywhere else in The Bahamas.

It's disguised as a rather tall palm tree. Here's a pic:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6039/6390860647_fdb94f90c5_o.jpg

You can see the vertical masts for local communication with phones, as well as the microwave dish that points to nearby Great Abaco island, which ties it in with the rest of the system. It is not satellite based.

I cruised pre smart phone and was able to enter an international code and was charged 5 cents per text received and 25 cents per text sent.It worked great to just keep in touch. I don't know how or if it could work with a smart phone..is it possible to turn off the smart phone capabilities and just have it set for text or talk? (although we never called outside US port) I then signed up for the on board service for my table for email and facebook and it was fine speed wise..only issues losing signal were around CC and after leaving Key West.

Also check to see how much data each photo upload to Facebook is. Since that is one of your original requirements you might find 100MB goes very fast doing that type of activity. My wife could upload 100MB of photos to facebook in a hour so we definitely couldn't do this.

For the person who mentioned they were going to Europe I would buy a SIM card when you get there. PM me if you need assistance as I go to Europe on business 2x per year and could probably help you find the best card. I am pretty familiar with Germany, Switzerland, and the UK. I could probably help out with other countries as well. I can easily go for 4 days while on business and only use 10 to 20 dollars for unlimited internet and calls back to talk to my kids and wife using one of those cards.

I don't know how or if it could work with a smart phone..is it possible to turn off the smart phone capabilities and just have it set for text or talk?

Yes. In fact most smartphones have a default setting of International Data = OFF to protect against high data charges. With that setting, voice and SMS work fine, but data does not. You can still use the smartphone's apps if you connect to WiFi in the ports (or pay for shipboard WiFi).

Yes. In fact most smartphones have a default setting of International Data = OFF to protect against high data charges. With that setting, voice and SMS work fine, but data does not. You can still use the smartphone's apps if you connect to WiFi in the ports (or pay for shipboard WiFi).

Thanks..helpful..so you'd still be able to put in the international code..225 I think? and just do texting?

Thanks..helpful..so you'd still be able to put in the international code..225 I think? and just do texting?

I don't know what the "international code" you're referring to is. In my experience, if the phone's radio is compatible with where you are, and you have int'l roaming turned on with your account at the carrier, you just turn on your phone and it works without having to do anything special. It could be that some carriers still require activation codes for int'l roaming, but none that I've used.

The one thing you need to be aware of is that you need to dial all calls that are outside of the country you're currently in as international calls. So, if you're in Mexico and need to call the US, it's an international call, and must be dialed as +1 (area code) (phone number). That is, not only do you need the 1 in front of the phone number, it needs to be a +1 - an actual plus sign followed by the 1 digit. Since that will also work domestically while in the US, it's wise practice to just put all numbers in your speed dial in that format to start with so they work universally anywhere in the world. Some smartphones have an "international assist" feature that will do this automatically, since they know Americans aren't the best at these things :-). And some foreign carriers might do this automatically when they see you're roaming from the US. But if you're dialing/texting manually, and/or have a flipphone, the best thing to do is to use the +1 format as that will work in all situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter