Verizon Prepaid Accounts

jhoannam

Planner-aholic
Does anyone have Verizon's prepaid phone account? Are there any downsides?
We are out of our Verizon contract and the only way to lower our bill is to go this route.
Right now we have 2 lines, DH has 2 gigs and I have the unlimited plan, before tax it's $149.95. We don't even have unlimited texting, not that we need it.If we switch to their prepaid phones we could both get unlimited call & text, and gigs of data (if we sign up for their auto pay) for $110 or 4 gigs each for $130.

What do you love/hate about it?

I have verizon prepaid. I love it and have had no problems. I have the 50.00 a month plan which has unlimited call/ texts and 1gb of data. I am not sure if they have that plan anymore though.

Unless things have changed recently, roaming is not included in the prepaid plans.

Have you looked into Virgin Mobile. I have been with them for over 2yrs. I get 300 minute unlimited text and data. I get my top up cards at Target and pay $33.00 no tax is charged. 3 g & 4 g.

Or you can get 1200 minutes for $43 total no tax is charged

They use Sprint towers. I have the ZTE Vital phone with a 13 mp camera takes great pic.

I have the prepaid I paid $50 a month no problems in 2 years good reception I drive to florida twice a year no problems with roaming charges my bill has stayed the same for 2 years

I started w/Verizon prepaid back in July (when the iPhone 5 became available). I pay $45 per month, unlimited talk and text with 1gb of data. I have never used even half of my data allowance on any given cycle. (I believe the deal is if you auto pay, they double your data from 500mb to 1gb).

The only downside I see to prepaid is possibly that the coverage might not be as wide range as the subscription accounts. I have never encountered this myself, but I know it can happen. Just look at a coverage map for Verizon prepaid to determine if this could be an issue. Most likely it will not.

Unless things have changed recently, roaming is not included in the prepaid plans.

Verizon Prepaid/Roaming is NOT a big issue unless you frequently pass-through...
  • The I-65 corridor from the TN/KY state line, to just north of Fort Knox (passing-through the cities of Bowling Green and Elizabethtown, KY)
  • Parts of Wisconsin
  • Parts of Oklahoma
Reason being is that VZ does not own/operate their own towers in these areas (and other small pockets of rural America) -- instead, they provide technical support to "local" long-time CDMA carriers in these areas...

Verizon Prepaid/Roaming is NOT a big issue unless you frequently pass-through...
  • The I-65 corridor from the TN/KY state line, to just north of Fort Knox (passing-through the cities of Bowling Green and Elizabethtown, KY)
  • Parts of Wisconsin
  • Parts of Oklahoma
Reason being is that VZ does not own/operate their own towers in these areas (and other small pockets of rural America) -- instead, they provide technical support to "local" long-time CDMA carriers in these areas...

Turns out I live in Oklahoma, but we usually don't leave covered areas. Once a year DH does has to go to the VA for a checkup in an area that falls in the roaming zone... does anyone know how much the roaming calls cost? Prepaid plans will save us $500/year so I really don't think we will ever use that much in roaming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter