Verizon Edge Program

hershey2014

Mouseketeer
I'm almost due for an upgrade but they are trying to talk me into The Edge plan. Has anyone done this yet? Is it worth it?

We have 4 phones on our plan, and had to put 1 on the Edge plan because it was a free replacement phone that still had a year left on it's contract. We had to buy the phone, this was the only way out of the existing contract on that phone. How often do you get a new phone? Verizon told me the Edge plan was established for people who don't keep their phones for 2 years. They actually expect the average Edge customer to buy a new phone every 6 months. All you are getting from Verizon is the service. YOu pay full price for the phones (or provide your own from another source). I have kept a cell phone as long as 14 years, so not a plan I would consider other than in the circumstances I faced. I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a new phone twice a year.

My husband and I have had our phone almost 2 years. My daughter is on her 2nd phone b/c she has broke/locked up her phone. I was trying to see what the better deal was for us.

Six months?! I had my last phone for 7 years. I got a new one because the charging port quit working.

I've had my current phone 6 months, and still don't know my around it completely. If I got a new one every 6 months I'd never know what I was doing! :oops:

I have the Edge program. I pay $31 a month for my phone. For getting the edge program I get $25 off my bill.

I also get 22% off of my bill through my job. So my line is $40 plus 22% off. Plus the $25 off. I also get 22% off of my data portion. I don't get 22% off for the additional lines.

It works for me.

I took it when I bought my son's new phone. Can't really remember why, but my bill isn't much different than it was before.

We switched to it when we needed to get my son a cell phone. He has diabetes, and one of his monitors requires an iPhone to transmit his blood sugars to our phones. We figured that gave us 3 of us with phones able to be upgraded quicker in case of broken phone, etc. it doesn't really make our monthly bill that much higher.

We just did it. When I calculated the cost of Edge vs. 2 year contract it came out to be the same cost with rebates and discounts. So I decided to do it so I didn't have to front $400 at once (2 lines/phones).

I just did it. Only reason was the $25 per line discount, which is how I was able to get phones for my twins (graduation present). We already had 4 smartphones and adding 2 more would have pushed my bill up to the point of no-can-do. By switching to Edge and More Everything or whatever it's called, my monthly bill went down $25/month even adding 2 iphones 5s and I didn't have to put anything down. I did have to pay the tax and ridiculous setup fee, which I argued but still had to pay in part. It was supposed to be $25 per phone I think and I could only get them to knock it down to $10. If I was a better negotiator, I'm sure I could have gotten away with no fee at all but I just wanted to go home at that point. To be truthful, I haven't a clue what it all means in the long run, I just needed a plan I could afford. Verizon is the only company that has service where we live so my options were few. I probably should have reconsidered having 5 kids, but too late for that :p

We didn't do it when we upgraded a couple months ago. The Verizon manager we talked to said the Edge program is targeted at people who either don't keep their phones long or don't have the money upfront to afford the expensive phones. On the Edge program the phone isn't really yours until the 2 years is up. Also, due to the phones we got, plan we have, and length we keep our phones it would have cost us more to be on Edge.

We just did it and our bill is exactly the same. Go to best buy. They were giving an additional $100 gc for new lines and $50 for current customers
Don't know if that is still the case or not. Just have them write down all the costs on paper before deciding anything.

We didn't do it when we upgraded a couple months ago. The Verizon manager we talked to said the Edge program is targeted at people who either don't keep their phones long or don't have the money upfront to afford the expensive phones. On the Edge program the phone isn't really yours until the 2 years is up. Also, due to the phones we got, plan we have, and length we keep our phones it would have cost us more to be on Edge.

Just wanted to point out the difference is one you have to pay off the phone if you cancel, the other you pay a ridiculous termination fee per line if you cancel. That termination fee goes down the longer you have your phone. So really they are the same. One is called line termination fee the other you have to buy the phone. I think that manager you talked to didn't give you all the info. After your phone is paid off on on the edge your bill drops in price. Under our old contact our monthly bill was the same after 2 years, we just didn't have to pay the termination fee if we decided to go to another carrier or you could upgrade your phone/sign a new 2 yr agreement for a minimal fee or the free phone if they offered one . If you stayed with them and didn't renew your contract/upgrade your phone your bill never decreased. I like having the option to upgrade early if my phone craps out or if my phone is working great after 2 years having a significantly lower bill until I decided to upgrade my phone.

I just upgraded my husbands phone with the edge program. Worked out to be almost the exact same as doing the regular upgrade only with he was able to get a better phone and I didn't have to come out of anything out of pocket. With the $25 line discount, the edge plan only run us about an extra $5 month on our bill. It worked out much better for us since he ended up with an iPhone 6 64gb and that would have been $299 out of pocket right away with a regular 2-year upgrade.

You have me interested now. I might have to look into it. If my phone bill will not go up and will go down once 2 years is up

We have 4 phones on the Edge program. I did a lot of research before signing up. It really was a no-brainer to go with the Edge program. Here are the reasons:

1) With Edge you pay the full price of the phone in monthly installments. A 16gb iPhone is $31 a month. Add $5/mo for each higher gb phone and another $5/mo for the iPhone+. There are no finance charges for paying monthly.

2)You don't pay $299 per phone upfront for a contract plan. You only pay the tax on the phone upfront.

3)You pay $15 per line instead of $40 per line each month.

4) You save the $30 per line fee that they normally charge when you upgrade your phone or sign up for a new account.

5) After 20 months and assuming you keep your same phone, your bill drops by $31 per line because the phones are all paid for. For 4 lines, that' $124.00 a month price drop after 20 months.

6) You can upgrade to a new phone once you've paid off 60% of your current phone.

I did the math and for all 4 of us to get new phones at $299 each x 4 ($1200 up front), plus the $30 setup fee per line, plus $40 a month per line vs paying for the phones over time w/out finance charges, w/out set-up fees, w/ only paying $15 a month per line, we came out ahead going with the Edge plan. Also, the bill will drop significantly when the phones are paid off 20 months later.

The plan is designed for those who like to upgrade before 2 years are up. HOWEVER, for those who don't upgrade and who do keep their phones longer than 2 years, the plan is even better because your bill goes way down after the phone is paid off, but you still get to keep the $15/mo per line vs $40/mo per line charge that you'd normally pay.

We only have one phone on the Edge plan, but like others have said, it was basically free because of the $25 discount. When we're due to upgrade the other two phones on our plan I'm not sure what we'll end up doing.

I have mine on Edge and then just got my son's on Edge. Main reason is because we couldn't afford the upfront price for the new iPhone 6s. Also with all the discounts and there was a rebate attached for his phone, it was a no brainer.

We have 4 phones on the Edge program. I did a lot of research before signing up. It really was a no-brainer to go with the Edge program. Here are the reasons:

1) With Edge you pay the full price of the phone in monthly installments. A 16gb iPhone is $31 a month. Add $5/mo for each higher gb phone and another $5/mo for the iPhone+. There are no finance charges for paying monthly.

2)You don't pay $299 per phone upfront for a contract plan. You only pay the tax on the phone upfront.

3)You pay $15 per line instead of $40 per line each month.

4) You save the $30 per line fee that they normally charge when you upgrade your phone or sign up for a new account.

5) After 20 months and assuming you keep your same phone, your bill drops by $31 per line because the phones are all paid for. For 4 lines, that' $124.00 a month price drop after 20 months.

6) You can upgrade to a new phone once you've paid off 60% of your current phone.

I did the math and for all 4 of us to get new phones at $299 each x 4 ($1200 up front), plus the $30 setup fee per line, plus $40 a month per line vs paying for the phones over time w/out finance charges, w/out set-up fees, w/ only paying $15 a month per line, we came out ahead going with the Edge plan. Also, the bill will drop significantly when the phones are paid off 20 months later.

The plan is designed for those who like to upgrade before 2 years are up. HOWEVER, for those who don't upgrade and who do keep their phones longer than 2 years, the plan is even better because your bill goes way down after the phone is paid off, but you still get to keep the $15/mo per line vs $40/mo per line charge that you'd normally pay.

From what I was told, the 60% figure in #6 is now 75%. That means that it would actually be a rare person who was able to upgrade at 6 months.

Keep in mind that the $25 per line monthly discount with edge is only only share everything plans of 6gb or higher, less than that and it is only $15 per line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter